PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Buddy

LaRue
01-06-2011, 12:52 PM
want to purchase a box anchor and rope. i see many of you use the anchor buddy. Can you use that in conjunction with a box anchor? Seems you would loose the 46 degree angle you need to secure anchor.

any quality sights out there for anchor rope or the anchor buddy other that slideanchor or Overtons?

CantRepeat
01-06-2011, 01:13 PM
I've never used an anchor buddy(ac), but it seems it would allow current to move the boat to some degree. IE the line streaching. I've been using a box anchor for the last couple of seasons and it is great.

I do not think the ac would defeat the reasons to use a box anchor. The ac would just allow the boat to move some. Even if the current changes direction the box anchor would still work.

ttu
01-06-2011, 01:17 PM
i use the anchor buddy with my box anchor only when the depth is less than 30 ft. works fine.

east tx skier
01-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Mine works great with a tri-fluted anchor and has lasted years.

Archimedes
01-06-2011, 02:20 PM
I use my Anchor Buddy with a box anchor all the time in any depth. Works great. A box anchor was the best $ I've ever spent on a boating accessory.

Covi
01-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Will the baby box anchor work with my 190? I will only need it for calm shallow water holding. I feel like the size spread is such a wide gap on the small that the baby should handle up to 20' at least?

Baby Box Anchor Personal watercraft
Small Box Anchor Offshore / Sport 18' to 30', cabin cruiser to 24'

CantRepeat
01-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Will the baby box anchor work with my 190? I will only need it for calm shallow water holding. I feel like the size spread is such a wide gap on the small that the baby should handle up to 20' at least?

Baby Box Anchor Personal watercraft
Small Box Anchor Offshore / Sport 18' to 30', cabin cruiser to 24'

I can tell you this.

In a fast moving river, I'd guess 10 mph I had my 92 and 3 other boats tied to the back and the small size box anchor never even moved. Not one inch!

I'd bet you could get away with the baby anchor on just about any prostar.

Covi
01-16-2011, 01:34 PM
I can tell you this.

In a fast moving river, I'd guess 10 mph I had my 92 and 3 other boats tied to the back and the small size box anchor never even moved. Not one inch!

That's what I was looking for. Anyone else else out there?

I think I'm going to go with the baby for a few reasons. How and where I plan to use it and also interior storage space (none).

CantRepeat
01-16-2011, 01:47 PM
That's what I was looking for. Anyone else else out there?

I think I'm going to go with the baby for a few reasons. How and where I plan to use it and also interior storage space (none).

I bought mine off of Sodar's recommendation. He told me that it held his Prostar over in Parker AZ, while normal anchored boats were getting pulled down stream. I grew up in So Cal and spent many a day at Havasu and Parker so I knew full well what kind of water power he was talking about.

mzito
01-16-2011, 01:58 PM
I use a BOX on my 25' party pontoon and tie up 3-4 other pontoons and have never had an issue of the box not holding in all conditions. Best accessory out there!!!

Covi
01-16-2011, 09:47 PM
So all things aside as I was checking out the slide anchor web site and getting ready to order a baby box anchor I came across the accessory called a Danik Hook.

http://www.slideanchor.com/Default.aspx

nmcjr
01-16-2011, 10:06 PM
The box anchor is great for sure. The anchor buddy was a great addition to a regular anchor because it would absorb some of the bouncing/wind gusts and prevent the anchor from pulling out, but now that I have the box anchor I may go back to a regular anchor line. Reason being, I don't feel like I have as much control with the anchor buddy because it stretches so its hard to limit how far the boat can wander. Technically I think you are supposed to use a rope and the anchor buddy, so I may do that as well so I can have the best of both, though I'm wondering if two ropes will be a hassle.

LaRue
01-16-2011, 10:30 PM
been using the Danik Hook...works great

The Podge
01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I have been using the Digger anchor and had great success primarily on muddy bottoms. I am wondering if anyone has used the digger WITH anchor buddy? I am wondering if it is possible to trip the release mechanism for the anchor if you have the buddy installed. I would also like to hear if anyone has had success using the anchor buddy with a regular line as mentioned above and how it was set up. Thanks!

brucemac
01-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Technically I think you are supposed to use a rope and the anchor buddy, so I may do that as well so I can have the best of both, though I'm wondering if two ropes will be a hassle.

that's what i do in deep water or for extended stays after losing an anchor buddy (broke) a couple years ago. i think they reccomend 2 lines in deep water, but not sure. it's not a huge hassle and worth it imo to protect your investment i think.

it's not that much extra work, you simply add enough line above and beyond the total stretch you need. i do this in combination with a hippity-hop and a stainless caribiner and you've got a great bouy setup. set it once and come and go as you please without having to reset.

i hit some pretty high winds last year boating and my box anchor did not hold. 50-60MPH gusts though and it was sand in fairly shallow water. didn't matter my scope, it was a hassle, but obviously that's pretty ugly conditions. next year, i'll bring the extra danforth just in case.

MyCabinFever
01-17-2011, 09:35 PM
I can tell you this.

The box anchor is a new concept to me and I was wondering if there were any issues with getting it hung on logs or stumps? I have read how it holds well in sand and mud, but worry about getting it hung up due to its shape. Any advise?

gatorguy
01-18-2011, 01:11 AM
I'm thinking of getting a shore spike. I was wondering if anyone has any feed back comparing the "earth anchor" vs the "shore spike"? I want something that wont bend when it hits rocks or sandstone.

Sodar
01-18-2011, 10:39 AM
I have the WHOLE set-up and it is by far the best set-up I have ever used.

I have:
Small Box Anchor
Anchor Buddy
Sand Spike
Danik Hook

Covi
01-18-2011, 03:29 PM
I have the WHOLE set-up and it is by far the best set-up I have ever used.

I have:
Small Box Anchor
Anchor Buddy
Sand Spike
Danik Hook

Done. If your going to do it you might as well do it! Nice.

Sodar
01-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Gotta get what works!

You can literally see the current on the buoy. The current can sometimes reach 6mph on my PerfectPass gps.... it FLOWS!!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_m3bPnaMHpYM/TTXrZvCKhKI/AAAAAAAAEUQ/yltiw0beGQw/s800/photo.JPG

BNIROOSTER
01-18-2011, 05:03 PM
want to purchase a box anchor and rope. i see many of you use the anchor buddy. Can you use that in conjunction with a box anchor? Seems you would loose the 46 degree angle you need to secure anchor.

any quality sights out there for anchor rope or the anchor buddy other that slideanchor or Overtons?

West Marine is a good place for both, you can buy the rope by the foot at a reasonable price.....there is also EBAY

remiller
02-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Beautiful boat ! ! !

jvbaca
02-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Hey Sodar, nice looking setup there! Not to threadjack or anything (but oh well here's the threadjack). Question: Do you tie a rope right to the box anchor or do you use a section of chain to the box anchor (to maintain the angle) and then rope to the chain? My box anchor seems to move alot and I can't quite figure it out.

brucemac
02-17-2011, 05:35 PM
not sure what sodar does, but chain isn't required with them. or so they say. i don't use any. the only time i've ever had it break lose was in heavy wind in a really soft and silty bottom. if it's lose silt/sediment it doesn't really have anything to dig into as the teeth aren't all that long. the box with the buddy combo helps eliminate this a bit by providing some stretch. i'd be curious if anybody else is using chain with these.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-17-2011, 05:45 PM
not sure what sodar does, but chain isn't required with them. or so they say. i don't use any. the only time i've ever had it break lose was in heavy wind in a really soft and silty bottom. if it's lose silt/sediment it doesn't really have anything to dig into as the teeth aren't all that long. the box with the buddy combo helps eliminate this a bit by providing some stretch. i'd be curious if anybody else is using chain with these.

No chain required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv2ybwgcaL8

rgardjr1
02-17-2011, 08:18 PM

My boat came with a box anchor, chain & anchor buddy from the previous owner. Haven't used it a ton, but we do throw it out about a dozen times a year when we are out and about on the lake. It's always performed great, but I haven't tested it in difficult conditions. Pretty much just using it to keep the boat in place while we have lunch or swim and listen to tunes. If anyone makes it up to Priest Lake, ID and wants to test it out I can let you borrow it for a couple of days.

TruckeeEP
05-08-2012, 05:35 PM
From May 5 to 15, 2012, slideanchor is offering team talk members 20% off their products and free shipping. Group buy so we need 20 orders to qualify. Check it out.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=46591

cdevro
05-12-2012, 10:20 PM
(bump) Again only 3 days left to take advantage of the Slide Anchor Deal! See classifieds for details!

yesitis
11-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Hey Sodar -
I am getting the same set up -
Box Anchor
SandSpike
Anchor Buddy
Danik Hook
Anchor line

How do you set it up? Anchor line to box anchor and anchor buddy to sandspike?

Thanks for the help!

Sodar
11-14-2013, 01:23 AM
I have mine set up for bow out anchoring. Box anchor to anchor buddy to boat bow eye. Stern eye to anchor line to sand spike.

uplander
11-14-2013, 09:23 PM
do most of you guys tie your anchor line to the front eye or use a cleat

93Prostar190
11-15-2013, 12:05 AM
do most of you guys tie your anchor line to the front eye or use a cleat

Bow eye when anchoring mostly ....

zsqure
11-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Bow eye, the cleats were put on so cheaply it's embarrassing. Drill two holes and use a fender washer. ***.

uplander
11-16-2013, 02:22 PM
thanks, I like the look of that hook on the website. My old I/O I would use a cleat it was hard to reach the eye was a closed bow. Much easier with the MC but would be nice using the hook