PDA

View Full Version : what do i look for to get quality marine vinyl?

Joseph
01-05-2011, 05:12 PM
99 maristar 210. had the prop fubar thing and when i stepped onto the back seat to check out the work on the new shaft seal and engine alignment, i thought i stepped on a bag of potato chips. my vinyl seat cracked all over. (probs never seems to end) Anyway, thinking about getting all the seats done versus poss whole boat and going to a local upholsterer. Jim and the mastercraftskins are a bit far (rusting trailer and intermittently locking trailer brakes wouldn't make it anyway).
Anyway, is there a type of vinyl (weight, thread count? company or grade) that i want to make sure i get? Thanks. (I have learned to NEVER get anything done to my baby unless i consult with all the wonderful, knowledgable and supportive advice that this group can dole out.)

Double D
01-05-2011, 05:18 PM
99 maristar 210. had the prop fubar thing and when i stepped onto the back seat to check out the work on the new shaft seal and engine alignment, i thought i stepped on a bag of potato chips. my vinyl seat cracked all over. (probs never seems to end) Anyway, thinking about getting all the seats done versus poss whole boat and going to a local upholsterer. Jim and the mastercraftskins are a bit far (rusting trailer and intermittently locking trailer brakes wouldn't make it anyway).
Anyway, is there a type of vinyl (weight, thread count? company or grade) that i want to make sure i get? Thanks. (I have learned to NEVER get anything done to my baby unless i consult with all the wonderful, knowledgable and supportive advice that this group can dole out.)

Where in the MIDWEST are you located?

east tx skier
01-05-2011, 05:50 PM
G&T Vinyl is probably what was used. That mostly gets sold only to the boat manufacturers themselves though. Rolls of it have been showing up on ebay lately though.

Joseph
01-05-2011, 10:08 PM
located in Wichita KS. Would certainly drive a few hours though and leave my boat to get reupholstered if it would be "worth it" (by that i mean quality)

Thanks East Tx. Is G&T the original stuff or the newer grade vinyl?
I read about 2 hours of old posts on teamtalk and certainly want to stay away from the "original" 2000-2005 stuff. I just don't know if the vinyl comes in certain "weights" or some other quantifier to ensure that i am getting the heaviest duty stuff.

east tx skier
01-06-2011, 10:27 AM
As far as I have been able to determine, G&T is what everyone was using (and may be still using). It's good stuff (still have the original G&T vinyl on my 98).

As for weight, it looks as if all of the brochures have been removed from the Knowledge Center on mastercraft.com. From an old Water Ski Magazine article, it appears as though MC upgraded the vinyl in 2000 to 32 oz. marine vinyl.

Joseph
01-06-2011, 08:40 PM
thanks tx. thats what i was looking for-32 ounces. wanted to make sure i get the thickest or "best" aftermarket vinyl available and can at least make sure that when i shop around, they are quoting me a product that will last as long as possible.

east tx skier
01-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Ask for marine vinyl and get samples so you can prepare texture. Also, make sure it is foam backed. You can get excellent, although not identical, vinyl from a reputable local shop. If you're doing the whole boat, and if they vinyl is good quality with a competent installer, it shouldn't matter if it's an exact match of the original.