PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a boat?

UofU2727
01-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Does anyone know of a class act shipping company? I put my boat on U-ship but wasn't sure if I trusted some of the people. I'm moving to the other side of the country and want to ship my 19ft S&S from Utah to Maryland, preferably in a closed trailer. It's a nice boat and don't want to get it beat up. It has a removable hitch and the deck is removable. Any help would be appreciated.

scott023
01-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Not sure if he's still doing it, but worth a shot.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34498&highlight=midwest+boat+hauling

SWeaver
01-05-2011, 02:09 PM
UofU,
I am shipping a boat now from california to connecticut and spent a good bit of time looking into it. I have a couple of points to share with you.

I never found any enclosed services that would fit my 205V. Too wide.

Uship is super sketchy...do your homework on the individuals. LOTS of them may carry some insurance, some have none but will tell you they do.. Even if they do, it doesn't always cover boat towing...IE you need to get apolicy number and call their insurance company at a minimum.

If you use uship, 10% goes to uship. Try to contact the transport company directly and they will give you the 10% off if you deal directly with them.

I am using wayne kraft from autokrafttransport.com. I'll let you know my experience when I get my boat next week he uses a self loading flatbed trailer to haul. Not enclosed, but it protects the bottom from rocks etc.

John at boattransport.com is worth checking out too. Also a flatbed, but not self loading, so you would been to arrange pick up and drop off at a marina with a crane/lift. That could add 100-200 bucks at each point.

My cost with wayne for 3020 miles is 2700 cash, which was only a few hundred more than some yahoo with no insurance offering to tow it on its own trailer. Spending the little extra was a no-brainer for me.

Good luck. .

UofU2727
01-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks, let me know how it go's.