PDA

View Full Version : Cover

ctjahn
01-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Since the weather is crappy here and I dont really feel like trying to wash and seal my orig cover for the 79 MC S&S in below zero temps or in the snow....are there any recommended companies that are forum supporters that I can send it to? (was going to have a local guy do it but apparently he isnt interested) Seems like a good time to do it since it is in the garage warm and happy.... (Wasnt sure which heading to put this under but I guess this works, it is a canvas cover...

Cj

east tx skier
01-04-2011, 12:24 PM
For the washing part, take it to the laundromat and toss it in one of those big commercial sized washers. Don't use much, if any, detergent. Run it through a second cycle with no soap. I tend to use a gentle cycle on the washer. I also let mine hang dry/air dry, but know some who have put it in the dryer on a low heat setting.

ctjahn
01-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I did read that in old forums but i did want to try to re-water proof it too....
Cj

ski_king
01-04-2011, 02:07 PM
I am not sure of the condition of your cover, but I do not recommend putting a 31 year old cover in the washer.

I still have my 28 year old cover. If I was to put it in the washer, I believe all I would have left are threads and lint.

It has been resewn and all I use it for not is a dust cover in the winter. It isnt in waterproof (or windproof) shape, but it has out lased 2 of the replacements I have bought. I am about to order cover number 4.

If you do feel it will stand up to being washed. Wash it now and waterproof it on the next dry fairly day. (May be in April)

ctjahn
01-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I am not too crazy about power washing it either to get the stains out (Esp since I am a power washing novice! - And do not own one!)

cj

east tx skier
01-04-2011, 04:16 PM
I am not too crazy about power washing it either to get the stains out (Esp since I am a power washing novice! - And do not own one!)

cj

You can take it to one of those spray it yourself car washes and give it a good once over with the wand.

wheelerd
01-05-2011, 03:13 AM
I did read that in old forums but i did want to try to re-water proof it too....
Cj
Once you've got it cleaned...
Get yourself a gallon of 303 Fabric Guard (about $60 - 80), a spray bottle, and a place to spread out the cover.
I did mine this summer and now it sheds rain like a duck.
(Just don't do it on your lawn! I burned the grass all around the edge from the overspray.)

ctjahn
01-05-2011, 06:11 AM
You can take it to one of those spray it yourself car washes and give it a good once over with the wand.

Good idea and so obvious!
Cant believe it didnt occur to me....

ctjahn
01-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Get yourself a gallon of 303 Fabric Guard (about $60 - 80), a spray bottle, and a place to spread out the cover.
(Just don't do it on your lawn! I burned the grass all around the edge from the overspray.)

Sounds good! I am buying a sample pack of 303 today because of all the positive chatter about it on the forum....

Cj

east tx skier
01-05-2011, 01:17 PM

Don't spray that stuff near anything you love other than your boat cover. Make sure you get the Fabric Guard, i.e., the stuff in the bottle with the green label. This is different than regular 303 vinyl protector.

wheelerd
01-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Like he said . . .
http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/66/303-high-tech-fabric-guard.cfm