PDA

View Full Version : 2009 X2 ballast suggestions?

dbmasterX209
01-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Gang,

Just purchased an 09 X2 and already excited for the spring. My first MasterCraft. I have two questions:

1)It has upgraded ballast plumbed in (250 each side in the back). I believe that gives me close to 1400lbs total including factory ballast. Should I max out the space in the back and add 450's on each side?

2)I primarily wakeboard, but will learn to surf and still like to slalom. For slalom, do you recommend 100-200 in the front nose? I don't have the wakeplate.

Thanks all!

TXMC-06X2
01-04-2011, 11:19 AM
I have the two back storage compartments filled with the 455# fat sacs and they are worth every penny. If im surfing i fill the port, kgb, and the fat sac in the rear port compartment 100% and empty everything else on the starboard side and it makes a great wake. If im wakeboarding i fill all factory ballast 100% and fill the 2 fat sacs either 50% to 75% depending on how many people i have in the boat. Those two 455# sacs are my best investment so far.

Harry Reynolds
01-04-2011, 01:10 PM
We run every locker on the LHS filled when we surf and a 750 under the flip up seat. Together that makes a really nice surf wave. I don't think you will be happy when you try and ski. These boat make a great wake, but don't no when to stop.

Good luck with the new boat.

jason@wakemakers.com
01-04-2011, 03:06 PM
If you're interested in surfing at a minimum you'll want to maximize the amount of weight in the rear compartment of the boat. That forms the foundation for a wakesurfing wake, and ideally you're looking for 750-1000 pounds of weight in that compartment.

For wakeboarding, especially with the X2, you'll want to strive for a 50/50 weight distribution from front to rear. A lot of people will be happy with the stock configuration for wakeboarding though, so you may find that you don't need to add any additional weight up front if you're only using the larger bags for surfing.

You can read more about how to weight your boat on our Mastercraft Hub Page (http://www.wakemakers.com/mastercraft).

CantRepeat
01-04-2011, 06:25 PM
One thing I have started to notice with fat sacs is the rated weight for given sac is not totally correct.

Take for instance the Fly High v-Drive Wakesurf Sac has a dimension of 42 x 16 x 16 and really seems closer to 42 x 15 x 15 but for sake of argument well use the listed size.

42 x 16 x 16 equals a volume of 10752 cubic inches or 46.545 U.S. gallons

46.5 gallons * 8.34 lbs per gallon = 387 lbs

I figure it's closer to 366 lbs. I've not actually filled a bag and place it on a scale but by volume it's not 400lbs. The stated 1100 lb bag is closer to 1000 lbs.

I don't have an X2 but I would hope the 32 x 18 x 20 would completely fill your locker, if not you have room for more weight. This bag is rated at 455 lbs but by volume would only yeild 416 lbs.

jason@wakemakers.com
01-05-2011, 02:02 PM
The driving factor behind the optimistic capacities you're seeing is two-fold:

1) Manufacturers and vendors a like have a tendency to exaggerate the size of their products (there's a joke there I think...).

2) Measuring the dimensions (and capacity) of an elastic material like these bags isn't very precise, so although the dimensions of the welds (which is how the bags are sized) is 42" x 16" x 16", bowing increases the capacity a significant amount.

Regardless, I think we can both agree there's no way that all of the bags hold nice round numbers (400, 750, 1100, etc.). Fly High is more reasonable than a lot of other manufacturers in that regard though.

MattsCraft
01-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Gang,

Just purchased an 09 X2 and already excited for the spring. My first MasterCraft. I have two questions:

1)It has upgraded ballast plumbed in (250 each side in the back). I believe that gives me close to 1400lbs total including factory ballast. Should I max out the space in the back and add 450's on each side?

2)I primarily wakeboard, but will learn to surf and still like to slalom. For slalom, do you recommend 100-200 in the front nose? I don't have the wakeplate.

Thanks all!

Dbmaster - Back to your question, I have the same boat. I have the 2-Fly High X2 sacks in the rears (400#+ range), plumbed in via overflow. I place a 350# tube down the center if we have a light crew 4-5 + KGB, if we have 9 or 10 then the center sack is really not required but can't hurt as long as you distribute people correctly. I have some wake snob guys ride behind my boat, no complaints!!! For surfing, we just empty one side and go. As Jason said, rears give you wave height and sinking the entire boat (front) will push the wave curl back. This should give you about 1750# of ballast plus people!

I like the Fly High X2 specific sacks, (pricy but worth it) fit is perfect and when full you can still fit about 4" of gear in the locker, enough for a jacket or two, rope or towel!

g-mantrix
01-05-2011, 06:17 PM
I am planning on setting up just as Mattscraft mentioned, I will soon be ordering flyhigh rear sacs for my X2 :).
What I am unsure about is the filling/emptying timer situation. I understand you can purchase the timers to increase fill/empty time, but really dont want to go the extra cost.
How are you guys getting around this, or have you simply changed the timers?

cheers

jason@wakemakers.com
01-05-2011, 08:59 PM
What year is your boat g-mantrix?

MattsCraft
01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I am planning on setting up just as Mattscraft mentioned, I will soon be ordering flyhigh rear sacs for my X2 :).
What I am unsure about is the filling/emptying timer situation. I understand you can purchase the timers to increase fill/empty time, but really dont want to go the extra cost.
How are you guys getting around this, or have you simply changed the timers?

cheers

As Jason asked, boat year is important, I am sure others will add as I am not completely sure of the years/timers.

I think it is like this:
06 - No Timers
07-08 - 6 minute timers, possibly switched to 20 minute sometime in 08
09-10 - 20 minute timers
11 - No clue:confused:

Here is the post from Roonies on how to install and re-program. As long as you don't disconnect the batteries it will hold. Going on 3 years now without having to re-program!
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25491&highlight=sacs

jason@wakemakers.com
01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
All MY2007 boats will need to have the timers replaced, 2008 and newer have 20 minute modules from the factory, until they no longer use the AI module network.

ttu
01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
i bought the 20 min timers and still have not been able to reprogram the dang things.

CantRepeat
01-06-2011, 03:46 PM
I really don't understand the need for timers. Turn on a swith, when you hear water coming out of the overflow turn the switch off.

jason@wakemakers.com
01-07-2011, 04:03 PM
ttu- If you need any help programming them feel free to give our techs a call.

CantRepeat- I think the timers are more for the drain side of things. With flexible vane impeller pumps the real chance for damage is when you're draining and the bag/tank is empty. If you're cruising across the lake and not paying attention you could easily leave the pump on for 10-15 minutes, which would fry the impeller.

Most TMC members are aware enough to make sure that doesn't happen, but I'm sure a huge part of every manufacturer's customer base doesn't know anything about how the pump or ballast system works.

CantRepeat
01-07-2011, 07:05 PM
CantRepeat- I think the timers are more for the drain side of things. With flexible vane impeller pumps the real chance for damage is when you're draining and the bag/tank is empty. If you're cruising across the lake and not paying attention you could easily leave the pump on for 10-15 minutes, which would fry the impeller.

Most TMC members are aware enough to make sure that doesn't happen, but I'm sure a huge part of every manufacturer's customer base doesn't know anything about how the pump or ballast system works.

Excellent point(s).

venetrex
01-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Wake plate is worth every penny for slalom skiing in an X2. I anteed up the cash, installed it myself, and the improvement in the surf and ski wake was HUGE. Plus the added benefit of being able to bring the nose down. only drawback is in the stock config, wakeboard wake suffers, but I have a fix for that too, see my thread on x2 surf ballast.