PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speaker Dilemma

Mgboyd25
01-02-2011, 09:36 PM
I just got a 2004 X7 and the factory tower speakers were totally roached. I want to replace them with something better.... I read some of the various threads and it seems like wet-sounds are the favorite. The only issue is that I want to use the Mastercraft factory tower speaker cans. I checked the wet-sounds website and there were various in-boat speakers that I could purchase but Im not sure how loud they would be. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could replace the factory clarions with?63620

Mgboyd25
01-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Here is another pair that was $100 more but I don't really know what the difference is between the two 63622

CantRepeat
01-03-2011, 07:51 AM
You get a better answer by sending a tech support question to the wetsound guys asking what they would suggest to go in your MC cans.

MattsCraft
01-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Check out these, I have no idea how they sound, but this is what I was thinking of doing.
http://www.bulletlines.com/wakeboard-tower-speakers-s/37.htm

I have the factory JL's which are pretty darn good powered correctly. (at least 75 to 150 watts/channel) I agree, Wet Sounds needs to make an HLCD that will mount into an MC can! I hate the WS cheap plastic cans and look!

Of course, you will have the sound guru's come on and talk about harmonic distortion, specifically tuned for the cans or some other techno speak etc. blah, blah, blah Please, outdoors, wind and water hitting the hull at 20 to 30 mph and the 300 to 400 HP engine cranking at 3000 + RPM,s. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate good quality sound and have my system pretty well dialed in as everyone comments on how well it sounds and is clear with minimal distortion cranked, but some of this stuff is just overblown sales bunk, this coming from a salesman in the high tech market!!!:rolleyes:

Justjoe
01-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Gotta say, I feel the same way. I'm using the stock JL's with two additional 6.5s across the back of the cockpit, four on the tower, three subs. Three Alpine PDX amps, and it's NICE. Now, given, the wet sounds can get louder, but I'm already "that boat".... I don't think it would be healthy, or neighborly to go up from where I am.

And I do like the look of the factory cans....

Mgboyd25
01-03-2011, 08:57 PM
You get a better answer by sending a tech support question to the wetsound guys asking what they would suggest to go in your MC cans.

I did talk to the guys at wetsounds and those were the speakers that they suggested since I was not interested in their speaker cans.
I just wanted to see if anyone knew of any better alternatives

Mgboyd25
01-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Check out these, I have no idea how they sound, but this is what I was thinking of doing.
http://www.bulletlines.com/wakeboard-tower-speakers-s/37.htm

I have the factory JL's which are pretty darn good powered correctly. (at least 75 to 150 watts/channel) I agree, Wet Sounds needs to make an HLCD that will mount into an MC can! I hate the WS cheap plastic cans and look!

Of course, you will have the sound guru's come on and talk about harmonic distortion, specifically tuned for the cans or some other techno speak etc. blah, blah, blah Please, outdoors, wind and water hitting the hull at 20 to 30 mph and the 300 to 400 HP engine cranking at 3000 + RPM,s. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate good quality sound and have my system pretty well dialed in as everyone comments on how well it sounds and is clear with minimal distortion cranked, but some of this stuff is just overblown sales bunk, this coming from a salesman in the high tech market!!!:rolleyes:

Those Krypt 6.5s look like they would really be loud, but I bet they would never fit in the factory cans

TX.X-30 fan
01-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Not much you can do with the 6.5 cans, you can do JL coaxial cockpits but the sound is less than impressive at 150 watts a channel. I would ditch them and go wet sounds cans with the 80's 2 of those will be much better than 4 6.5's

CantRepeat
01-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Not much you can do with the 6.5 cans, you can do JL coaxial cockpits but the sound is less than impressive at 150 watts a channel. I would ditch them and go wet sounds cans with the 80's 2 of those will be much better than 4 6.5's

This is what I was thinking. I was also tossing around the idea of getting the wetsound cans powder coated to match the boat. Are the wetsound cans painted stainless steel?

MattsCraft
01-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Check with the guys at Bullet-Lines, they do have a 6.5" HLCD. I was told the 8" would fit the newer MC 7.5" cans, but you would need to drill new holes.

cdevro
01-05-2011, 02:32 AM
Time to replace my tower stock JL's. So you got my attention.

Mgboyd25
01-05-2011, 08:01 PM
I talked to a ken at bullet lines today and he was extremely helpfull. I think I am going to go with their 6.5s. They seem really nice. Thanks alot!

Mgboyd25
01-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I ordered two 6.5 hlcds and a new class h amp to run the tower speakers from. I will post the pictures as I continue to move forward with this project.
Thanks to mattscraft for referring me over to ken at bullet lines. I got all the information and help I needed at a great price

Mgboyd25
01-23-2011, 04:04 PM
I got the 6.5 HLCD speakers and the amp to run them off this week in the mail.
I havent had much time time this week to play around with them but I did find out that they do not fit inside the Mastercraft Factory Cans. The issue is with the depth of the can is short about an inch and a half due to the tower speaker light housings.
I called Bulletlines the next day and we looked into a few different options to make it work but I ended up liking their black fiberglass cans. I think they will really set off the look of my boat with its black bimini. The only drawback is no tower lights........
I think I am going to try and sell my Mastercraft 6.5 factory Cans on ebay or something

Mgboyd25
01-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Here are the cans that are on their way