PDA

View Full Version : Beaching your MC

samgreazy
12-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Just curious if any of you all beach your mastercrafts. I just bought my 02 Xstar last year and was always scared to beach it because of the tracking fins and propeller and such. What do you all think??

atlfootr
12-30-2010, 08:16 PM
This is as close as I come ... even though I'm strut free.
I usually throw an anchor off shore tied to a life cushion.

CantRepeat
12-30-2010, 08:17 PM
I used to beach my 92. That was until some jackasses used to come flying by the sandbar and made enough wake to bend a strut. I replaced the gear and stop my beaching habit.

JohnnyB
12-30-2010, 08:39 PM
I used to beach my 92. That was until some jackasses used to come flying by the sandbar and made enough wake to bend a strut. I replaced the gear and stop my beaching habit.

I have never beached any of my boats and never will. Shallow water anchor but not beach.

TallRedRider
12-30-2010, 08:46 PM
I have some beaches that I know for a fact are all soft sand, and they are quite steep. I will only beach there for brief periods. The underwater gear at the back of the boat is in 3+ feet of water in those places and I have been OK with that.

Most of the rest of the time, she looks like this:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/talltigeguy/Lake%20Powell%206-09/IMG_8149.jpg

g-mantrix
12-30-2010, 10:12 PM
hey Tallredrider, that locations looks sweet as. Im from Aus and considering a trip to the states in 2011 to meet up with other MC owners/riders. Where is that location, just so I can work out a trip. Ideally looking for locations with mountain scenery around lakes /rivers.
cheers ray

DemolitionMan
12-30-2010, 10:53 PM
I never Beach.

FrankSchwab
12-30-2010, 10:55 PM
g-mantrix -
Looks very much like Lake Powell (http://www.travelwest.net/parks/lakepowell/images/lp.pdf), the most ruggedly beautiful 225km long lake you're ever likely to have the pleasure to rip up.

Post your visiting dates up here, and I'm sure you'll find someone going up.

/frank

thatsmrmastercraft
12-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Here I thought he must be on Loch Ness with Nessy showing herself aft of the big cartoon boat. :D

Double D
12-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Only with a piece of carpet once. After that, nope never...

dpolen
12-31-2010, 08:32 AM
I beach mine almost every time out on the lake. Yeah it's scratched up a bit, but my kids (2 & 5) love playing in the sand. I wouldn't own the boat if we didn't have the kids, it's all about making the troops happy and safe. With that said, I'm always beaching in sandy areas, no way will I do it on rocks...seen many folks do this over the years.

coz
12-31-2010, 09:36 AM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/Saguaro/021.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/Saguaro/033.jpg

Life's a beach!....get out and enjoy it :headbang:

gatorguy
12-31-2010, 12:11 PM
If I were the only boat in the area and the beach were soft sand, I would consider it, but around here there is too much wind and to many people throwing huge wakes. So guaranteed if you were not hanging on to the stern the whole time your boat would be sideways up on the beach with no hope of getting it back in the water yourself not to mention the damage to the underwater gear.

h2oskifreak
12-31-2010, 12:23 PM
I have some beaches that I know for a fact are all soft sand, and they are quite steep. I will only beach there for brief periods. The underwater gear at the back of the boat is in 3+ feet of water in those places and I have been OK with that.

Most of the rest of the time, she looks like this:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/talltigeguy/Lake%20Powell%206-09/IMG_8149.jpg

Seen you many times at Lake Powell "Tall Red". Nice ride and houseboat. You are based out of Bullfrog, right?

I usually bring another boat "Four Winns" to Powell so I bet you've seen me, but just another water wrecker in your mind. I will say "hi" next time I see your M.C. on the water.

captain planet
12-31-2010, 12:48 PM
I never Beach.

times two....the only three things to touch the underside of my boat are air, water, and my trailer bunks.

bturner2
12-31-2010, 01:38 PM
I get real shallow with mine and the rudder will sometimes drag but never pull the hull on to the sand or beach. Guess I just like my boat to look like new too much.

I do see people do it all the time and can hear the sand scratching the hull. Mostly rich kids beating the snot of their daddy's expensive boat. But oh well that's their deal.

TallRedRider
12-31-2010, 04:50 PM
hey Tallredrider, that locations looks sweet as. Im from Aus and considering a trip to the states in 2011 to meet up with other MC owners/riders. Where is that location, just so I can work out a trip. Ideally looking for locations with mountain scenery around lakes /rivers.
cheers ray

That is Lake Powell. Do not go there...anywhere you go the rest of your life will not be as good, and that is a sad way to live your life, knowing the best part is behind you. In all seriousness, if you can swing it, I would go to Lake Powell, the grand Canyon, zion national park, Bryce Canyon...if you are into natural wonders. All of those are relatively close.

Seen you many times at Lake Powell "Tall Red". Nice ride and houseboat. You are based out of Bullfrog, right?

I usually bring another boat "Four Winns" to Powell so I bet you've seen me, but just another water wrecker in your mind. I will say "hi" next time I see your M.C. on the water.

I am based out of Wahweap. That pic is at the beginning of padre canyon. Might be a lookalike out there. My MC has never been above Rainbow Bridge.

TX.X-30 fan
12-31-2010, 05:03 PM
I beach mine almost every time out on the lake. Yeah it's scratched up a bit, but my kids (2 & 5) love playing in the sand. I wouldn't own the boat if we didn't have the kids, it's all about making the troops happy and safe. With that said, I'm always beaching in sandy areas, no way will I do it on rocks...seen many folks do this over the years.

You sir are not nearly Anal enough for this crowd...........:D

BHT
12-31-2010, 05:15 PM
It's all about the sand.

Footin
12-31-2010, 05:20 PM

In some ways I must agree with you....family fun first. The older I get the more I realize it's just stuff.

That being said I still do not beach my boat but I will anchor in very shallow water for the kids to play.

medicmoose
12-31-2010, 05:24 PM
You sir are not nearly Anal enough for this crowd...........:D

Not me.....I am just north of "way too anal"! Never get near the sand if I can help it...that would just cause too much extra polishing etc. Yup, it's all about the kids but mine learned at an early age to swim....so off to the beach he swims :D

cdevro
01-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Get yourself a Slide Anchor for the beach side and a Box Anchor for the water side. I usually drop the bow anchor off first then swing the boat around which sets that anchor, then simply walk off the platform and spike the slide anchor on the beach. It makes for easy access in and out of the boat along with the tower speakers are now facing you. Your guests wont track sand in the boat because of the automatic rinse. Go to www.slideanchor.com and check out what just may be the best anchor ever. The box anchor folds up nice, its light weight, and is incredible when it comes to holding the boat in strong currents. But please dont beach your boat, you never know whats under the water. "Wow that beach was all sand yesterday" quote from a friend of mine who is very unhappy MC owner replacing his prop and shaft.

east tx skier
01-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Anchor buddy here. No need for beaching.

MC4SNETS
01-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Anchor Buddy on a bow anchor....toss it out..... spin around with the stern to the beach. Jump off, pull the boat by hand to shallow water and let the ladies and kids step off the swim platform. Allow the Anchor Buddy to pull out to an acceptable depth to protect the prop and tie the stern off to a stake or tree.

Time to load the boat up......pull her back to the beach, everyone boards via the swim platform, rinsing sand/mud off thier feet, untie stern, Anchor Buddy pulls you out to your bow anchor, start up and head out in your clean, scratch-free boat.

I taught my teenage kids the system so it just happens automatically and they know their role and why we do it that way (and hopefully when they are old enough to take it on their own, or own their own boat, they will do the same)

When I had little kids and an older runabout I beached....so I know where you beachers are coming from (no help!)....especially if you know it is sand with no rocks.

oldairboater
01-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I will beach in sand if I want too but I also installed a keel protector which isn't always popular with this crowd. My preferred way to anchor in the water is stern in toward the beach with boat in plenty of water floating. Too much protruding from the bottom of the hull and replacement is expensive---so I keep plenty of water underneath the hull. I am a true believer in a good anchor set firm.

Mgboyd25
01-03-2011, 11:17 PM
This guy does!!!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
01-04-2011, 12:01 AM
This guy does!!!!!

Looks like he kept his rudder in the water though.

CantRepeat
01-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Looks like he kept his rudder in the water though.

Looks semi sand as well. 8p

thatsmrmastercraft
01-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Looks semi sand as well. 8p

Hard to be sure from this angle, but I think his keel guard took care of him.

TX.X-30 fan
01-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Wonder if any implants ruptured??

CantRepeat
01-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Hard to be sure from this angle, but I think his keel guard took care of him.

I'm pretty sure that's the owner and his two daughters on the ATV coming back to help him shove off.

On a side note, I believe there is a Fountain for sale.

Willski
01-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I never beached my old boat, and have no plans to beach this one. Too hard on the fiberglass and potentially the underwater gear.

Muttley
01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Not if I can help it.

I had to beach it once at a lake where the dock was first come, first served EVERY TIME. Leave the dock and you had to take your fenders & ropes. It didn't matter if you were a $80K ski boat or a 12' aluminum Springbok. Far too many boats on anchor bouys to drop an anchor. Only option was to beach it.

It made me sick to my stomach. Last time I ever went there.

I'll shallow anchor the bow and tie the rear to a dog leash screw into the sand.

willowtreexx
01-04-2011, 12:09 PM
3 am in the morning doing 60 mph on Coralville Reservoir = $120,000 mistake... Crane scheduled for tomorrow.

this happend just by Iowa City where i went to college.
WHOOPS!
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/26Baja1.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
01-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Nice..................:D

TayMC197
01-04-2011, 01:06 PM
That has to be an altered picture... the hull and lower unit would of been trashed from running up on that...

willowtreexx
01-04-2011, 01:54 PM
here is the link to it
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20217

CantRepeat
01-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Video link is dead, sorry.

Video!

willowtreexx
01-04-2011, 02:05 PM
video link? was that for the link i just posted?

CantRepeat
01-04-2011, 02:06 PM
video link? was that for the link i just posted?

No, it was a link inside your link to the news station video footage, but it's a dead link. :mad:

willowtreexx
01-04-2011, 02:16 PM
No, it was a link inside your link to the news station video footage, but it's a dead link. :mad:

gotcha, yeah it looks like real pictures to me. wish the link worked though :D would have been great to see it

Age Fighter
01-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Wonder if any implants ruptured??

Now THATS funny. Well done!! :D

BTW, I'll beach mine or nose it in close depending on how steep the area is. Mostly fine material like clay so I don't run the risk of sand scratch in the lake I keep the boat in.

Having said that, I'll beach a boat if it adds to the fun and have in any number of environments and any number of boats -- none of which were abusive uses. Fun and functionality is why I have boats -- not babysitting museum pieces. But I respect any kind of ownership stye. (except IO tubers in glass coves!!!)

TX.X-30 fan
01-04-2011, 08:52 PM
BTW, I'll beach mine or nose it in close depending on how steep the area is. Mostly fine material like clay so I don't run the risk of sand scratch in the lake I keep the boat in.

Having said that, I'll beach a boat if it adds to the fun and have in any number of environments and any number of boats -- none of which were abusive uses. Fun and functionality is why I have boats -- not babysitting museum pieces. But I respect any kind of ownership stye. (except IO tubers in glass coves!!!)

I agree 100% Well said.

mccobmd
01-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Now THATS funny. Well done!! :D

Ditto, I go to two lakes 90% of the time, will beach in the same places I have been doing it for the past 30 years. I may find something I'm not expecting but unlikely. I am the ultimate pragmatist, that said my boat has only been on a beach 4 or 5 times.

CantRepeat
01-06-2011, 09:46 AM
When trying to sell a boat, don't used beach photos. ;)

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=820909

atlfootr
01-06-2011, 09:56 AM
This sure looks like an RC Boat, anyone else?

thatsmrmastercraft
01-06-2011, 10:07 AM
This sure looks like an RC Boat, anyone else?

Once you zoom in, it looks like the real deal.

scott023
01-06-2011, 10:22 AM
It's got registration numbers on it... first indication to me that it's not an RC.

CantRepeat
01-06-2011, 10:33 AM
There is a link to the story on that boat that has more photos. Bad day for someone.

willowtreexx
01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Once you zoom in, it looks like the real deal.

i posted a link to the story and more photos, go check that out, it has people in it trying to look at it...

ill make it easier and post them.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/26Baja2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/26Baja3.jpg

THREAD JACKED! back on track... haha

i anchor and let them swim :)

thatsmrmastercraft
01-06-2011, 03:29 PM
i posted a link to the story and more photos, go check that out, it has people in it trying to look at it...

ill make it easier and post them.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/26Baja2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/-Greg-/26Baja3.jpg

THREAD JACKED! back on track... haha

i anchor and let them swim :)

Maybe thode are RC people. :D

Maristar210
01-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Beaching the boat is not that big of a deal if it is done in an area with no wake.

As for that go fast pile of dried glue on the rocks? It is right where is belongs. Mullet rider.

Maristar210
01-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Coz,

Please don't ever post that picture of your "friend" in the speedo or you will be banned forever.

gatorguy
01-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Coz,

Please don't ever post that picture of your "friend" in the speedo or you will be banned forever.

1+. This is a family site after all

thatsmrmastercraft
01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Coz,

1+. This is a family site after all

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

coz
01-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Coz,

Woah!...He came outta the x-2...not my boat :D Keith (x-2 owner) use to be a member here and if I remember right, it was his wife's uncle in the speedos. He sold that boat and I think he may have went back to Malibu boats :D

CantRepeat
01-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Woah!...He came outta the x-2...not my boat :D Keith (x-2 owner) use to be a member here and if I remember right, it was his wife's uncle in the speedos. He sold that boat and I think he may have went back to Malibu boats :D

Likely story, Coz. I'm betting he parties all summer long at your house! 8p

frosty
01-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Ex-member's...Wife's...Uncle...Malibu...
Way to distance yourself! :)
um... who took the picture... :D

TX.X-30 fan
01-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Way to distance yourself! :)
um... who took the picture... :D

Nice 37th post................:D

coz
01-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Likely story, Coz. I'm betting he parties all summer long at your house! 8p

Year round party at my place....shoulda seen the Christmas party :D

http://theblindswimmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/speedo-run_1197751797_4484.jpg

Way to distance yourself!
um... who took the picture...

Yes, I'm guilty of taking the pic but I swear he jumped in front of me and by then it was to late....moment in time captured :eek:

scott023
01-07-2011, 03:38 PM

Yes, I'm guilty of taking the pic but I swear he jumped in front of me and by then it was to late....moment in time captured :eek:

He certainly doesn't look like he just arrived in the frame... looks like he's been lounging in that spot for some time. :D

CantRepeat
01-07-2011, 03:51 PM

http://theblindswimmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/speedo-run_1197751797_4484.jpg

The one on the far right works for me. This could lead to an entirely different thread. ;)

coz
01-07-2011, 11:25 PM
The one on the far right works for me. This could lead to an entirely different thread. ;)

She works for you?..entirely different thread?....are you a pimp or something? she does have a nice um???.....speedo though :D

remiller
01-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Beaching is fine ,never had damage to the fins or prop. But , everytime you run the keel in the sand , it wears the gel coat , then the fiberglass. We used to beach so much that it wore right thru and started to leak. After repairing it inside and out,I backed off from the beaching so much . There is a product that is made to protect that part of the boat when you do beach it . I think I saw it in the Overton's catalog.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Beaching is fine ,never had damage to the fins or prop. But , everytime you run the keel in the sand , it wears the gel coat , then the fiberglass. We used to beach so much that it wore right thru and started to leak. After repairing it inside and out,I backed off from the beaching so much . There is a product that is made to protect that part of the boat when you do beach it . I think I saw it in the Overton's catalog.

The name of the product is Keel-Guard.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=36534WHTLDI501&pdesc=KeelGuard_10_Protector_Kit&str=keelguard&merchID=4005

atlfootr
01-25-2011, 11:57 AM
The name of the product is Keel-Guard
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=36534WHTLDI501&pdesc=KeelGuard_10_Protector_Kit&str=keelguard&merchID=4005
http://www.overtons.com/assets/images/products/large/36534WHTLDI501_L1.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:openWin%28%27/assets/images/products/large/36534WHTLDI501_L1.jpg%27,%27500%27,%27500%27%29;)

Age Fighter
01-25-2011, 03:06 PM

That must have been a lotta beachin' -- and in some coarse sand, too.

blakehardesty
01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
That must have been a lotta beachin' -- and in some coarse sand, too.

My wife does alot of beachin'

milehigh970
01-25-2011, 09:41 PM
My wife does alot of beachin'

Mine too!! Lol but not in my boat, even if it is 25 years old! Or she'd be beachin at someone else...lol

remiller
02-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Yes it was . Palm Bch.area , but fresh water lake . We practically lived there ! Slalom , footin , just havin lots of fun . . .

aaron.
02-15-2011, 01:07 PM
I don't like beaching. Not that a little sand will really hurt the gel, but because of all the sand that gets dragged into the carpet & seats... Make'em swim to clean off their feet. lol

shredstixxwa
02-16-2011, 07:39 AM
I don't like beaching. Not that a little sand will really hurt the gel, but because of all the sand that gets dragged into the carpet & seats... Make'em swim to clean off their feet. lol

Im hearin ya...sand is the devils dandruff in my boat....swim u lazy deckies...swim