PDA

View Full Version : Heated Seats

DJ 50
12-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Got my boat out on the water for the first time today and loved every minute of it of course. However I have a question about the observer seat heater. The boat is a 2010 PS197 that I bought used. I was told it had a passanger side seat heater. The wires are conected and the swith under the seat is there and lights up when you push it so I am assuming it has one. It did not appear to be working after running it for some time. So my question is whould wires be hooked up and switch hooked up even if there is no heater? Assuming it is there are both sides of the passanger seat heated? For some reason is the passanger seat heater considerbly cooler or slower to heat up then the driver seat heater?

broncotw
12-30-2010, 10:46 AM
I have the same EXACT problem with me 2010 Prostar 190TT.... I am interested to too see if the boat was wired for the seat heater and the seat heater was not installed (or purchased as an option).... It seems weird to me that MC would install the wiring, have a functioning dash switch, and not the actual seat heater....

vision
12-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Got my boat out on the water for the first time today and loved every minute of it of course. However I have a question about the observer seat heater. The boat is a 2010 PS197 that I bought used. I was told it had a passanger side seat heater. The wires are conected and the swith under the seat is there and lights up when you push it so I am assuming it has one. It did not appear to be working after running it for some time. So my question is whould wires be hooked up and switch hooked up even if there is no heater? Assuming it is there are both sides of the passanger seat heated? For some reason is the passanger seat heater considerbly cooler or slower to heat up then the driver seat heater?

If you turn on the passenger side seat heater and come back 15 minutes later, is the passenger seat warmer to the touch than the other seats?

Jay Squires
12-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Heated seats! now I have to tell the wife, maybe then I can gat a Mastercraft.

ahhudgins
12-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Heated seats! now I have to tell the wife, maybe then I can gat a Mastercraft.

My 95 came stock with heated seats. I call them "sweatpants". One more gadget that I don't want or need; one more thing to go wrong.

If it were me, I would first find a point in the seat wiring (a plug?) and check for power/voltage to the seat (12V?? I have no idea). If power is present I would then disconnect the wiring and check the seat for resistance (heating element). In most cases of a large load like a heating element, the power switch turns on a relay with bigger contacts to handle the current. This is purely a guess, but this is what I would do unless I had a wiring diagram in front of me.

Alan
12-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Had a similar issue with my 2009 197. From behind the switch underneath the observers seat, follow the wiring back to the left under the dash. Several feet back, you should find an electrical connection which I understand is prone to come disconnected or loose. If it is, a medium wire tie is all you need to secure the connection to keep it from being an issue in the future.

Cloaked
12-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Had a similar issue with my 2009 197. From behind the switch underneath the observers seat, follow the wiring back to the left under the dash. Several feet back, you should find an electrical connection which I understand is prone to come disconnected or loose. If it is, a medium wire tie is all you need to secure the connection to keep it from being an issue in the future.
Do you work at SF South?

CPS?

Clinton Lake is a nice pond to ski.

Alan
12-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Do you work at SF South?

CPS?

Clinton Lake is a nice pond to ski.

Just finish up a 12 stint there. You?

DJ 50
12-30-2010, 08:16 PM
I have the same EXACT problem with me 2010 Prostar 190TT.... I am interested to too see if the boat was wired for the seat heater and the seat heater was not installed (or purchased as an option).... It seems weird to me that MC would install the wiring, have a functioning dash switch, and not the actual seat heater....

That is what I thought. Mine is also a TT just the 197. I checked the conection at the seat and it didn't seem loose. I will trace the wire back to make sure I don't have any other loose conections. After that I will just add it the list of things to have the deler fix under warranty. I figured I paid the $450 to transfer the warranty I should get some use out of it. If you figure out yours isn't even installed let me know.

Cloaked
12-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Just finish up a 12 stint there. You?
Spent 7 years at CPS and 5 at State Farm. ISU alum. Small world.

DJ 50
12-30-2010, 08:19 PM
If you turn on the passenger side seat heater and come back 15 minutes later, is the passenger seat warmer to the touch than the other seats?

I probably left it on for 15 min and it was hard to tell if it was any warmer. It wasn't that cold out so I wasn't positive but it was definetly no where close to being as warm as the heated driver seat which was quiet toasty after 15 min. Does anyone know if the whole observer seat is supposed to be heated or just half of it?

Alan
12-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Spent 7 years at CPS and 5 at State Farm. ISU alum. Small world.

Where you at now?

Cloaked
12-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Where you at now?
TN. with a Federal agency.

Waiting on boating again in April.

iktomi
12-30-2010, 11:11 PM
A simple rule of thumb...Electricity is like water in a hose. If you turn on the spigot and HAVE water but your sprinkler is not sprinkling, take a walk down the length of the hose. Or visa-versa.
Also, now days, cars or boats----One wire loom fits all, but if yours is plugged into the seat then IT must have the elements. Backtrack.
BTW, the seat wont get HOT unless there is insulation trapping the heat (Like a Passengers Butt) Lay a blanket on it and walk away 20 minutes. Slide your hand under the blanket.

jkski
12-31-2010, 08:56 AM
I have the heated seats in my 08 and the only portion of the passenger seat that heats-up is the left side when looking at it facing forward(port side). Mine takes longer to heat-up than the drivers side dows and I find that both warm-up faster as the RPM's increase. Once they are at temp they stay warm but at idle it seems to take a while to feel anything on the passenger seat.
Hope this helps.

2010Prostar197
01-03-2011, 10:14 PM
The passenger seat in our 2010 197 just gets mildly warm...drivers seat gets pretty warm.

I checked the resistance at the plug going to the seat and it was 3.5 ohms. If you get close to that value then I guess switches, loose connections etc would be the next route. The plug with the wires heading down should read 12 to 14 volts with all the switches on etc.

ORX-1
01-14-2011, 02:04 PM
My '08 X2 has both driver's and observer heated seats and the driver's gets really warm and I don't know if the observer seat has ever worked, I took it to the dealer when I first got it to have them look at it and they said it was fine... I have given up caring about it but do wish it got warm like the driver's seat.

johkur
01-26-2011, 06:03 PM
I've sometimes wondered if my seat heater on the passenger side is working too. but if you put a towel on it and come back a while later, it is sort of warm to the touch, so it does have something there, but when you're sitting there, you sometimes wonder.
The drivers seat seems to be a much more concentrated heating coil or something, gets much warmer.

2RLAKE
01-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I have the similar issue in my '08 X14 observer seat

JohnE
01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Fwiw, my 09 observers seat heats up much better and warmer than my 08. I assumed they had improved them, but maybe there was a problem with the 08. But the 08 did get noticeably warm, the 09 just a little warmer