PDA

View Full Version : A new battery question

Miss Rita
12-29-2010, 12:11 PM
I have four batteries to maintain over the winter, but only have one battery maintainer.

I was thinking of connecting all the batteries in parallel, and use the maintainer to keep them all charged simultaneously.

Any comments?

EarmarkMarine
12-29-2010, 02:01 PM
That's not a good scenerio since batteries are used differently, age differently and will have a different impedance. Batteries will self-discharge a few percent each month so a maintenance charger is a good thing over the winter. If you are storing your batteries inside over the winter then it would be easy to use a timer and rotate the charger to each battery for several hours once per week. This will be more than adequate to offset any minor discharge over that period.

David
Earmark Marine

EarmarkMarine
12-29-2010, 02:36 PM
If the four batteries are all brand new, identical, unused and fully charged beforehand then I think that a common trickle/maintenance charger is okay provided you keep an eye on it and take a measurement occasionally. Make sure that the charger isn't running beyond what is the normal warm. A number of fully charged batteries doesn't represent much of a challenge for even a small charger, however, four batteries at any level of discharge could send a small charger into protection or burn it up if it doesn't have a good self-protecting circuit.

David
Earmark Marine

oldairboater
12-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Like others have posted battery tender may not be up to the task. If all four batteries are connected together then if one goes bad it can discharge the others if the battery maintainer trips out or opens up a circuit and quits working. I am not a fan of battery tenders. We have used them on our equipment in the past and have had problems that I relate to them. This is just my opinion.

Miss Rita
12-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for your opinions. I was (wishfully) thinking I could hook everything together in the corner of the garage, and ignore it until next Spring. I think I'll just make a point of going out every week or two and switch the tender to a different battery.