PDA

View Full Version : Manifolds - frozen and cracked

wakeboardmuppet
12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Hello chaps, I'm new to this forum and could do with some advice

I have hardly used my boat this seaon due to the poor weather we've had - UK

I last used it in August, and didn't think to drain the water off the engine

By December it had frozen solid

We've just had a temporary thaw and I went out to check it over. No core plugs popped out so I was optimistic

Then noticed hairline cracks all over the manifolds.

I got the boat running and it's fine, but water is seeping out of the manifolds and one core plug (and yes it the one on the right hand side of the engine under the engine mount)

After all that drivle, my question is, has anyone successfully had a pair of manifolds brazed up. Do they rupture internally, or is the crack to the outer (none engine side) side sufficient to ruin them.

The ship is a 93 Maristar 225 centre engined Ford Small Block 5.8l 351

Or, are there any better alternatives readily available

I've had a quote of 600 + vat which is probs $900 + 20% tax

Thanks and happy new year

thatsmrmastercraft
12-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Welcome to Team Talk. Too bad your arriving here is under such unhappy circumstances. When your exhaust manifolds freeze and crack, there are probably as many cracks on the inside that you can't see. These will allow water to get into your oil and cause more problems.

Check your oil immediately, and if it looks tan and creamy your manifolds are shot.

Replacing that sore plug won't be a walk in the park, but you can do it. Depending on how hard the freeze was, you could have other cracks in the engine to deal with. A compression check would be in order.

Luv2Ski
12-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Agreed that you should take a really good look and be sure the rest of the engine is okay before fixing just the items listed.

Is that $900 just for brazing the exhaust manifolds? If so, bag that option and just purchase a new set. Skidim (http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1068)has them for $235.

Best of luck, and sorry for your troubles!

oldairboater
12-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Before I done anything else I would make sure my block hasn't cracked any water jackets. Hard lesson even if it is only a freeze plug and exhaust manifolds.

Abe
12-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Hello chaps, I'm new to this forum and could do with some advice

I have hardly used my boat this seaon due to the poor weather we've had - UK

I last used it in August, and didn't think to drain the water off the engine

By December it had frozen solid

We've just had a temporary thaw and I went out to check it over. No core plugs popped out so I was optimistic

Then noticed hairline cracks all over the manifolds.

I got the boat running and it's fine, but water is seeping out of the manifolds and one core plug (and yes it the one on the right hand side of the engine under the engine mount)

After all that drivle, my question is, has anyone successfully had a pair of manifolds brazed up. Do they rupture internally, or is the crack to the outer (none engine side) side sufficient to ruin them.

The ship is a 93 Maristar 225 centre engined Ford Small Block 5.8l 351

Or, are there any better alternatives readily available

I've had a quote of 600 + vat which is probs $900 + 20% tax

Thanks and happy new year

Hi Buddy, and welcome. I would be very surprised if there ain't any more damage to your Engine. Have You checked Your Oil to see if its milky, Also as said a compression check. I would forget about repairing The manifolds, You can get a new set for less than 500 delivered here in The UK. pm me and I will give You the info you need.

venetrex
01-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I bought an engine that I knew had cracks in the manifolds for an opld boat of mine. I was able to weld and then epoxy them. The manifoilds were fine. Too bad I had cracks in the block under the intake manifold that caused the engine to fill up with water and hydrolock. Not good. Ended up ditching the block with a reman one for $1100, and that was for a 351 ford engine. I used the welded/epoxied manifolds for 10 years before I sold the boat with no problems. But they were not available anymore for my application. I might have a photo of the repair. This was a long time ago. So I know it doesn't look pretty but it worked.

tomski
01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Is that Snatchems in the background? Bummer about the damage. I've priced manifolds up and they end up about the same costs getting them here or shipped from Skidim. Plenty of places on ebay sell merc or volvo ones.

Check your oil though and make sure there isn't water in the bores. A cracked exhaust manifold does not put water in the oil directly, a cracked inlet manifold will though. So simply running the engine will not necessarily tell you whether the manifold is cracked internally until the engine has stood with water in the manifold.

Good luck.