PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Philadelphia PA

ViperRedX80
12-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I am being transferred from southern CA to suburbs of Philadelphia. I wanted to see if anyone knows about the boating in the area and if its worth keeping my X80 or selling it here and starting over or not at all in PA.

Ryan
12-28-2010, 04:29 PM
I moved from So CA to OH, then IN. So, I have an idea of what you're going through. About a year ago, I interviewed in PA and from what I learned, there are a few places on the river and into Delaware bay that you can ski/ride on. There were more places to find tourney lakes than what can accomodate the X80 in your pic though IIRC.

tex
12-28-2010, 05:55 PM
I am being transferred from southern CA to suburbs of Philadelphia. I wanted to see if anyone knows about the boating in the area and if its worth keeping my X80 or selling it here and starting over or not at all in PA.

That sucks!

sjskier
12-29-2010, 07:31 AM
there are plenty of places to run you boat and ski in pa. hook up with njskier on this site he can guide you to the best places on the delaware, they even have a mastercraft meet every year.

Jerseydave
12-29-2010, 07:41 PM

Here I am! (aka njskier)
Lots of options on the Delaware river in Philly. You could slip your boat at Pier 3 or Pier 5 marina right under the Ben Franklin bridge which would be closest to the city. \
http://www.thepiersmarina.com/index.php?pr=Home_Page

There are other marinas/clubs just north of Philly that offer slips. If you want the best conditions for wakeboarding/surfing etc come up north a bit more (30 mins from Philly).

http://www.dredgeharbor.com/shopcontent.asp?type=Marina
^Dredge Harbor

http://marinas.com/view/marina/465_Baum%27s_Cove_Marina__D%26S_Boats_Tullytown_PA
^Baums cove near Bristol PA (very close to our riding spot)

http://www.curtinsmarina.net/
^Curtins marina, very basic but next to a great restaurant

http://www.bordentownyachtclub.com/
From here you can idle out into the river and you are @ the best riding spot on the river!

45 mins to the south is the greatest body of water for boating in the northeast, the Chesapeake bay! So many nice marinas with pools, tiki bars, restaurants, etc.
My first choice down there is:
http://www.skipjackcove.com/

If you want to trailer that beast each time to launch, send me a PM for ramp info!

Welcome to the area! Let's get together this season! I'll be on my X-star

That's the river in the background.......30+ feet deep in the channel......no worries (but get a chart anyway!) :)

Jerseydave
12-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Forgot to mention, there are only a few lakes in the eastern PA area (all very crowded on weekends)

Blue Marsh Lake (near Reading) too small for your X80
Lake Wallenpaupack in the PA poconos (near Hawley PA) very busy!
Raystown Lake PA (near Altoona PA) we take a long weekend out there each year but it's 4 hours from Philly. Great spot, houseboat rentals, resort, camping, etc. Makes for a nice getaway once or twice a year.

There is always the Jersey Shore (not the TV show) if you like crowded salt-water boating!

Are you a skier or wakeboarder or ???
What suburb of Philly?

Philly sometimes gets a bad rap, but it really is a nice city that has a lot to offer. Tons of stuff to do, and great sports teams (well, maybe not the 76ers) :)

sjskier
12-30-2010, 08:34 AM
yo jerseydave, whats up with that, just needed a new handle,hope to get up your way this summer and ski the delaware,later,sjskier

ViperRedX80
12-30-2010, 02:11 PM
I am going to be in the West Chester area. So far I am excited about the move. CA government is in the dumps and taxes are out of control. As I get older I have to say I really like to wakesurf or Ski. Wakeboarding just temps me into hurting myself. I am thinking that since it will just be my wife and I no kids yet... I may see what type of offers I get on the x80 if I can sell I will prob buy a smaller boat in PA.(x-star, x-45) If no quality offers then will pull out after my annual Lake Powell trip over the 4th.

CantRepeat
12-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Forgot to mention, there are only a few lakes in the eastern PA area (all very crowded on weekends)

Blue Marsh Lake (near Reading) too small for your X80
Lake Wallenpaupack in the PA poconos (near Hawley PA) very busy!
Raystown Lake PA (near Altoona PA) we take a long weekend out there each year but it's 4 hours from Philly. Great spot, houseboat rentals, resort, camping, etc. Makes for a nice getaway once or twice a year.

There is always the Jersey Shore (not the TV show) if you like crowded salt-water boating!

Are you a skier or wakeboarder or ???
What suburb of Philly?

Philly sometimes gets a bad rap, but it really is a nice city that has a lot to offer. Tons of stuff to do, and great sports teams (well, maybe not the 76ers) :)

Do not like. :(

Jerseydave
12-30-2010, 06:17 PM
yo jerseydave, whats up with that, just needed a new handle,hope to get up your way this summer and ski the delaware,later,sjskier

Bring that prostar to the river! You're welcome to a pull behind my boat anytime, but it's not going to be very good for slalom......but the wakeboard wake is great! :D

Jerseydave
12-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I am going to be in the West Chester area. So far I am excited about the move. CA government is in the dumps and taxes are out of control. As I get older I have to say I really like to wakesurf or Ski. Wakeboarding just temps me into hurting myself. I am thinking that since it will just be my wife and I no kids yet... I may see what type of offers I get on the x80 if I can sell I will prob buy a smaller boat in PA.(x-star, x-45) If no quality offers then will pull out after my annual Lake Powell trip over the 4th.

West Chester is a very nice area, you should like it. I have a friend who wakeboards on the schuykill river if you want a pull there sometime. The river there is narrow, perfect for an x-star or smaller.
I host Keith Lyman here for a clinic every year if you want to get some wakeboard coaching.