PDA

View Full Version : Dock Web Cam...Who Has Them???

Barefooter92
12-28-2010, 12:20 PM
For Christmas I received the gift of a webcam for the dock. I have not researched any and need to start so I get an inexpensive maintenance free unit to display the lake front on the home computer.

Some of you have them so any help would be great. I am looking for an outdoor unit with color.

Thanks in advanced for your knowledge.

Kevin

ddanenberger
12-28-2010, 12:30 PM
we use the Wilife cameras and they work well. they transmit over the power line. You can also look at them via the internet on a phone or set them up for movement. very simple. If not there are many cost evfective cctv cameras and DVR's but this means cables.

Barefooter92
12-28-2010, 12:34 PM
I dont mind the cables. I plan on mounting it close to the house so the cord lenght would be short. Thanks I will start my research with Wilife.

03geetee
12-28-2010, 12:57 PM
That is a great idea I never thought of that, but with the flooding at my lake sometimes that would be great peace of mind.

JTR

willowtreexx
12-28-2010, 01:08 PM
i too really like this idea! Will def need to look into one of these. Check real time weather before i drive 5 hours to the lake.

Covi
12-28-2010, 01:18 PM
http://sunapee.dyndns.org:8080/control/userimage.html

Not mine but this one has been around for awhile. I use it a ton when not at the lake. It also gives me a great indication of the conditions.....Bad ***!!!!

03geetee
12-28-2010, 01:33 PM
I just watched some of your video that thing is really cool!

JTR

vision
12-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I have one pointing at my MC in the lift with motion detector software running. Any motion around the boat and I get an emailed image. Gives me a piece of mind.

helton333
12-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Is there a way to do it without monthly fees via wireless? Any of the deer cams work wireless with an existing phone or do you have to pickup a fee for that unit? We don't have internet at the lake. I have thought often of this as well.

blakehardesty
12-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I have no use for one of these but that thing is freakin awesome.

Barefooter92
12-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Covi

That is it. How is the set up?

Camera, receiver, connection speed. Any information you can provide would be great.

T-bone
12-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Hi Kevin - I have 4 cameras set up at my lakehouse so I can keep an eye on everything when I'm not there. One is on the X-Star on the lift, one on the waverunner, one on the kayaks, and the last one point at the entrance to the front of our house.

I bought the package at www.surveillance-video.com out of NY city. They were great to deal with and had the best prices. We have high-resolution, color, night-vision, Nuvico outdoor cameras with a 500 GB DVR. The way it works is the cameras are wired back to the DVR (12-Volt DC power supply & RG6 cable) and the DVR will record continuously for 7-days on high resolution. Then it starts to overwrite the first day. It will record up to 14-days on low resolution.

The DVR is then wired via an ethernet cable to our wireless internet router. I had to assign an open port to the router, in my case I chose 7000. To access it over the internet I type in the IP address that is assigned to the router, followed by :7000. I then get a popup box from the DVR asking for my username and password. Once I enter those I get a split screen view showing all four camera views. If you click on one it opens in a full screen. To go back and view previous days I pull up the calendar on the DVR and choose the day and time I want to view. You can watch it back in up to 16x speed, so you can watch a full day in about 1.5 hours. It's awesome.

Tim

vision
12-28-2010, 06:47 PM
If you have a good internet access at your dock (wired or wireless) many of the newer IP based cameras come with built in web servers. It helps to have either a fixed IP address or you may need to use a DNS service (approx $30/yr). But, there is not typically a recurring cost besides your normal internet monthly fee. Set up is relatively straight forward. Trendnet, Linksys/Cisco, Netgear, and many others make IP based cameras with built in web servers.

I went another direction and simply set up the cameras on the local network at my lake house, then use an inexpensive application (EvoCam for the mac, many others for Windows) to monitor the cameras and send me images as desired (mostly on motion). This is more private and other folks can not connect to my cameras, but I can connect at any time to view the house, the lake, and the boat.

Covi
12-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Covi

That is it. How is the set up?

Camera, receiver, connection speed. Any information you can provide would be great.

To be honest I don't know any of the logistics about the camera. I do know Dean Labaron the guy who's dock it is set on. I could certainly do some inquiring. I'll keep you guys posted. I should say that the camera has been set up for years 5+ without any problems. I log on to it at least 3-5 times per day and work all the features. It works flawlessly. It is awesome.....

Barefooter92
12-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Yep covi: old technology, bulletproof application, and quality feedback. I will research all others but yours is the one I want. O yeah keep it cheap too.

Thanks Kevin

Covi
12-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Yep covi: old technology, bulletproof application, and quality feedback. I will research all others but yours is the one I want. O yeah keep it cheap too.

Thanks Kevin

Got you covered sent an email to the owner tonight. Hopefully I will get a speedy response.

atlfootr
12-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Not mine but this one has been around for awhile.
Sweet ... What a great idea! :D
Excellent way of knowing, wither I have to cut out of work eariler or not.

I have one pointing at my MC in the lift with motion detector software running.
Any motion around the boat and I get an emailed image.
Even better, next investment 8p

http://sunapee.dyndns.org:8080/control/faststream.jpg?stream=full&fps=16&rand=649429

muskingumriverdocks
01-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Check out X-10 web site, lots of home security gadets. I have pan/tilt camera on a Sumerset, if my netbook is logged onto internet (no land line at dock) I can veiw on my cell. Also have their cameras in our antique shop and can do same thing. More of a toy than anything but kind of cool.