PDA

View Full Version : Bullet HLCD package

venetrex
12-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Is anyone running 4 bullet 7.7 HLCD speakers with 150 watts rms in their boat. I am really comtemplating doing this. I already have a jl audio mhd 600 with 4 jl audio speakers, my cans have lights so they are not sealed very well. This setup still cranks, but not really loud enough at 80ft when I'm hydrofoiling. Great for surfing, actually almost too loud. I am wondering if the performance of the HLCD's at surfing distance is actually not going to be too good. Any input would be great.

rgardjr1
12-27-2010, 07:41 PM
I am wondering if the performance of the HLCD's at surfing distance is actually not going to be too good. Any input would be great.

You can always turn them down. I've got two Wet Sound Pro 485s and they're great at 75' and turned down for surfing-should be roughly comparable to the bullets. I have a FAE on my boat which helps with noise too.

TallRedRider
12-27-2010, 09:06 PM
You can always turn them down. I've got two Wet Sound Pro 485s and they're great at 75' and turned down for surfing-should be roughly comparable to the bullets. I have a FAE on my boat which helps with noise too.

X2, just turn them down a few notches for surfing. I think you would get much better projection from the bullets.

EarmarkMarine
12-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Venetrex,

With a conventional speaker, provided that the speaker and amplifier could reach wake range without distortion, it would sound like it has a wool blanket thrown over it. Even though its accurate at very close proximity it is terribly inarticulate at 70 or 80 feet. So you might attempt to boost the treble to compensate for the distance and competing noise.

An HLCD is really the inverse. It is already biased or voiced to offset the conditions for projecting with intelligibility at wake range. Another major difference is that the HLCD has the additional amplitude capacity to play at wake range. So in the case of listening to an HLCD in very close proximity, you might back off the treble control slightly to tame a bit of the aggression.

An equalizer, such as the WetSounds WS420 for example, has more frequency segmentation which can make this process more precise and has separate equalization for the tower and in-boat zones. Its not necessary but an EQ is a nice upgrade to any system.

David
Earmark Marine