PDA

View Full Version : X2 Surf ballast

venetrex
12-27-2010, 05:47 PM
So I have a plan for my 2007 X2 for adding extra ballast for surfing. I already have the fly high kit and 20 min timers. The bags are plumbed off of the vent for the hard tanks and then the bag is vented in the usual spot. I really got into surfing this fall. I ride an inland surfer black pearl yellow and was obsessed with the wakesurf 360. I finally started getting them, actually riding away, too bad it got very, very cold fast up here in CT. The other trouble I had was, lack of people. It was only me and my wife in mid october. The heater was blasting and the heated drivers seat kept her happy :). My dilema was lack of wake. I ran the port totally filled and the KGB hard tank about 1/2 full, with one more person other than a driver I was good. With no spotter, I could barely surf, I'm 185 6 foot 3. So I borrowed a 500 sraightline bag and put it in the area where the cooler goes, also Sometimes put another bag on top of the seat. Wake was perfect. Too bad those fittings would spill water everywhere, NG when its cold outside, boat doesn't dry too fast then. So I came up with a plan. I ordered a jabsco ballast puppy that I'm going to T in off of the KGB intake and mount the pump somewhere in that viscinity. I also went BIG on my bag. 1100 lb surf sac. I know it is too big for the area by the cooler, but if I leave some extra hose I could put it on the floor YEA!! I am changing out the wash down switch in the dash to a on off on type and going to use one of my old 8 minute? timers on it. Only problem is the vent. I don't want to drill any more holes in this boat. So I think I'm going to vent it Teed into the port vent, with the addition of a ball valve, so I can turn it off when I am not surfing. Meaning when I overfill the port ballast it doesn't start to fill my surf sac. So does this sound good. Has anyone tried this?? Also I installed a wake plate last year and made a custom extension to pull the plate up past the hull line. Stock affects the wake when the plate is all the way up. Check yours out and see. The other plus is I just put the plate all the way down for the surf wake. Anyways has any one else attempted this?? Any thing I'm not thinking about?

g-mantrix
12-27-2010, 06:05 PM
interesting reading, look forward to replies...I to have an 07 X2, and wanting to set up for surfing. I am about to order the fly high kit from wakemakers to plumb in. btw, where did you source the 20min timers as Im sure I will need to change the stock timer, and whats the install process of these...easy?
look forward to this post

09X2
12-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Ive Got a 09 x2 with attitude/ surf tabs / fly high / and additional collapsable 20 kg water bags x 10 (200kg ) + 200kg lead. All hard tanks full, fly high full, stb bag on port seat, all other weight port side, i dont deploy any tabs, the surf tabs weaken the wave. I usually have min 5 blokes on board full of beer. Rub rail under water, decent surf wake, can easily grab air on a 4.6'. Interesting you said you deploy your plate for surfing. I also beleive the centre tab washes the wake for boarding, might try what u said and mod it, might also do the same for the surf tabs. Good luck with buddy

rgardjr1
12-27-2010, 06:35 PM
My 2006 came with the rear fly high locker bags. I added the fly high integrate bow sack that I fill off the KGB overflow and vent using the old KGB vent line. With a small crew we fill the factory port and rear locker bag, KGB and bow sack, add a 650 lb fly high sack on the port seat above the cooler and add another 260 lb sack in the bow. This results in a tall wave with decent length. I don't have an attitude adjustment plate or surf tabs so the wave isn't very clean-but it's big and easily surfable for larger individuals on an IS blue lake board. The blue lake is not a board that is easy to throw a 360 on though.

Also, these fittings make it a lot easier to fill and drain bags with out water spilling everywhere.

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-pro-x-series-fitting-w749.html

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-pro-x-series-fitting-w744.html

Thrall
12-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Ive Got a 09 x2 with attitude/ surf tabs / fly high / and additional collapsable 20 kg water bags x 10 (200kg ) + 200kg lead. All hard tanks full, fly high full, stb bag on port seat, all other weight port side, i dont deploy any tabs, the surf tabs weaken the wave. I usually have min 5 blokes on board full of beer. Rub rail under water, decent surf wake, can easily grab air on a 4.6'. Interesting you said you deploy your plate for surfing. I also beleive the centre tab washes the wake for boarding, might try what u said and mod it, might also do the same for the surf tabs. Good luck with buddy

I wanna party with this guy!

Nice project Venetrex. Sounds like it will work fine, why bother with the timer?
I'm sick of having my 7 y/o drive, so the 1 or 2 adult passengers can hang off the port side of the boat to help the wave? (He really does a good job with the PP set. Probably better driver at 4pm than my drunk @ss!) All I can do is sit in the tiny pocket and ride with this setup.
I'm getting a belated Xmas gift, like a 750 sac for the back of the boat and possibly another for the bow.
I have too much crap stored to do a Fly High setup, so maybe go with a even bigger bag to fill for the back of the boat?

venetrex
12-27-2010, 07:27 PM
I know that bag is too big to overfill and we all know that if I program to a safe spot, without bulging I won't pop anything. We all know that with a few smirnoff ice's that I'd be like put in more ballast and maybe break something. I also have a blue lake board, but after riding my friends black pearl yellow, I'd never go back. Another point to mention, if you have a fiberglass swim platform, loose it. It is larger than the teak and screws up the wave. I cannot ever give my old one away, go figure and people pay extra for that option. Teaks only $375 shipped to your door anyway. I might have a video of my wave with me surfing. I'll add it in my next post.

venetrex
12-27-2010, 07:33 PM
This video is with my wakeplate all the way down, KGB 3/4 full in the hard tank, and port hard and flyhigh totally full. Driver and my wife on the boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMggK0CAxxE

TallRedRider
12-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Venetrex,

When you reverse the jabsco pump that you T into the KGB fill line, the water will go from your surf sack, through the T and into the KGB. You will need to have the KGB pump discharging at the same time. To drain your surf sack, you will essentially have 2 pumps in series...no reason why it won't work, just don't forget to turn it on.

venetrex
12-27-2010, 08:24 PM
In my Tige I made a ballast system using these pumps and 1 manifold . I never had 1 pump force water past the other, but I will remember that it I notice my KGB creeping up.

TallRedRider
12-28-2010, 12:54 AM
I ordered a jabsco ballast puppy that I'm going to T in off of the KGB intake and mount the pump somewhere in that viscinity.

On your 07, then where are you going to put the T? On my boat, to make that work, you would have to splice into the mainline intake, which is 1.5 inches? I had envisioned you splicing into the 1" line on its way to the KGB tank, after the KGB pump.

You are right, the pump will act as a check valve and water should not go past it. I do not seem to understand where the T is located. Sounds like you got it all figured out.

Does the 07 have a separate intake for each pump?

Harry Reynolds
12-28-2010, 09:46 AM
It sounds like you could use some weight up front as well. Remember that the forward weight give the wave length and the rear weight gives it height. I have an 07 X-2 and have every locker filled with ballast on the port side and a 750lb bag under the flip up seat, plus about 200 pounds of lead in the back corner. It is usually just the wife and I and we end up with the rub rail under water and a really nice long wave. Overall it is slammed with about 2300lbs of ballast.

jason@wakemakers.com
01-05-2011, 01:51 PM
If you're more or less going to be filling the auxiliary bag just when surfing, you probably can by without an overflow, as long as you monitor it during the filling process. For bags that are hidden out of sight an overflow is crucial, but in your situation I would probably try to simplify things as much as possible.

MIskier
01-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Harry,

If you're running with while dipping a rail in the water you are severely compromising the stability of your boat, which obviously is extremely dangerous

Justjoe
01-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Harry,

If you're running with while dipping a rail in the water you are severely compromising the stability of your boat, which obviously is extremely dangerous

Fun governor.

TallRedRider
01-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Harry,

Nice first post.
Have you ever seen a wakeboat swamp due to surfing overballasted?

Harry Reynolds
01-07-2011, 12:39 PM
MIskier,
Have you ever seen an X2 set up for surfing? They look extremely dangerous. Thanks for the warning. I will now go back and plan on year 4 of surfing like this.

CantRepeat
01-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Truthfully, I'd never recommend overweighting a boat to anyone. Dangerous? Yup. Against the law? Yup. Would I do it myself? I might have done it a few times. :)

09X2
01-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Harry,

I run fully slamed like Harry all day every day...rub rail in the drink when stationary, I dont in the least feel unsafe. You would have to be pretty numb in the head department to tip or swamp your investment.

Unfortunaitley the X2 needs this weight to surf behind....properly anyway.:cool:

venetrex
01-07-2011, 07:10 PM
All of the input on what guys run is what I was looking for. I need to get a few fittings for plumbing the bag in. Also I need to get a few nice connectors to make it pretty. When I start, snowing here in CT right now, I'll take some photos. I'm also going to improve the mod for the wake plate. I'll post a photo of that too. I got a friend with a milling machine to do that improvement. I basically added 1 inch and a half of length to the extension. Lessened the amount it goes down but allowed it to go up more. Who runs with the plate fully deployed anyways. Port and starboard ballast pumps are t'd at the intake stock and the KGB is only using one fill. So I am going to T mine before the pump at the intake.

turbosdad
01-07-2011, 10:01 PM
VT, I have 08 X2 and am goofy for reverse everything to SB side. I have fly high system and normally have lots of people. SB hard and fly high completely full. KGB full and about half of bow sac full. If I have 4 people in the SB corner, one or two sitting on the sundeck, with feet on the platform. Wave is big in size, but for the world cant get the X2 to produce a very long wake. I use only the 6 min timers and they fill and empty the sacks to overflow everytime.

Guys I think the guy was sincere about the rail in the water being a safety issue, go easy on him.

Justjoe
01-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Turbos, don't be afraid to load that front sac. With mine loaded for a goofy wake (same as yours, but with a full integrated front) we can easily surf two on the starbd side. Now, given, your not doing a lot back there other than trying not to rake down the front rider when they fall, but hey...if you can get two on one wake, it must be pretty long.

Justjoe
01-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Tell me about your experience with the tabs? I'm thinking that SOMEBODY must have done some testing to find that the 14x12 were the way to go, and that placing them as far outboard as the factory is would give the best results.

I'm planning on adding some to my hull this winter. Seems like bigger would be better. Why not wider? Why not deeper down the transom? Why not add a second set closer to the chine?

Seems to me with the boat really loaded on the rail, the high side is really up there. I could be wrong, but isn't the tab almost out of the water then anyways?

Why not Bennett?

Is anybody concerned with how the tab is shaped being so close to the side of the swim platform? It would suck to have one of my daughters, or their little friends jump off the platform close and thrash their leg on it. I almost would like to create some sort of shaped cap that would protect a little foot or leg (or a big foot or leg) from scraping/stepping on it.

MIskier
01-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Nice first post.
Have you ever seen a wakeboat swamp due to surfing overballasted?

Yes, I have

Anyone who thinks that you cant swamp or capsize one of these boats running like that is crazy. All it takes is for a beam wave and a small enough righting arm, and its bottoms up for the owner and his boat.

venetrex
01-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Interestingly enough something about the hull of the X2 demands WEIGHT and alot of it for a good surf wave. For comparisons sake I'll post a photo of my old tiges wave. Funny thing is that boat I just filled up everything I had put the Taps down (wakeplate in our world) and I was good to go. The stability discussion is obviously at the captians risk. But I can say if your careful, the worst I've had is some water over the bow. We are only going 11mph!!!!!

TallRedRider
01-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Guys I think the guy was sincere about the rail in the water being a safety issue, go easy on him.

I think he is sincere as well, and he has a good point despite the ribbing I and others are giving him for being a funkiller.

Yes, I have

Anyone who thinks that you cant swamp or capsize one of these boats running like that is crazy. All it takes is for a beam wave and a small enough righting arm, and its bottoms up for the owner and his boat.

I don't think that anyone would imply that a heavily loaded boat would be impossible to capsize. But for the thousands of hours this sport is practiced with heavily loaded boats, I have yet to see one go belly up. Any pics or references to it would be appreciated.

Like this guy might make me a little nervous to say the least:

TallRedRider
01-08-2011, 06:25 PM
BUt if you want this kind of wave...

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae333/StanleyWheelhouse/IMG_0537.jpg

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8476&stc=1&d=1284405561

CantRepeat
01-08-2011, 09:26 PM
First post looks like a double up. The second post I believe is not off of that boat you have posted.

My bottom line is this.

I would not over weight my boat so much that it becomes dangerous to me or others. If I have a semi good wake and it's safe then I'm good. I wont put 4k of weight in my boat just to surf. That's just plain stupid and to tell others to do so is just wrong.

medicmoose
01-09-2011, 08:14 AM
This team doesn't seem to mind going with a little extra weight! 8p

Justjoe
01-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Holy crap. That's SLAMMED. (Looks like they can use a little more in the back though)

TX.X-30 fan
01-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Tell me about your experience with the tabs? I'm thinking that SOMEBODY must have done some testing to find that the 14x12 were the way to go, and that placing them as far outboard as the factory is would give the best results.

I'm planning on adding some to my hull this winter. Seems like bigger would be better. Why not wider? Why not deeper down the transom? Why not add a second set closer to the chine?

Seems to me with the boat really loaded on the rail, the high side is really up there. I could be wrong, but isn't the tab almost out of the water then anyways?

Why not Bennett?

Is anybody concerned with how the tab is shaped being so close to the side of the swim platform? It would suck to have one of my daughters, or their little friends jump off the platform close and thrash their leg on it. I almost would like to create some sort of shaped cap that would protect a little foot or leg (or a big foot or leg) from scraping/stepping on it.

Have you tried de-caff??.........:D

venetrex
01-09-2011, 09:24 PM
That looks worse from the side as oppesed to from the rear. That wave looks like it is absolutely killer. Damn. Makes me want to get more ballast!!! :cool:

I think I'm good though...

MIskier
01-10-2011, 12:24 PM
I think he is sincere as well, and he has a good point despite the ribbing I and others are giving him for being a funkiller.

I don't think that anyone would imply that a heavily loaded boat would be impossible to capsize. But for the thousands of hours this sport is practiced with heavily loaded boats, I have yet to see one go belly up. Any pics or references to it would be appreciated.

Like this guy might make me a little nervous to say the least:

The boat that I saw go belly up took one of its own waves on the beam when they circled back to pick up the surfer. It was not an X-2 but an X-star.

The reason that people feel they need to load up their X-2's is that they are a small boat with a quite a large deadrise for an inboard. This creates a a short steep wake, that requires alot of added displacement to get a nice long clean surf wake.

Northcountry
01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Has anyone tried switching out the stock swim grid for a custom smaller one on the x2??? We did this to a friends 06 X-30 (used an old Malibu teak deck) and it helped clean up the wave and height. On a friend’s 07 X2 last summer it looked like the teak deck was suppressing some of the wave from the side, I don't know if it would make much difference but just wondering if anyone has played around with this??

CantRepeat
01-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Has anyone tried switching out the stock swim grid for a custom smaller one on the x2??? We did this to a friends 06 X-30 (used an old Malibu teak deck) and it helped clean up the wave and height. On a friendís 07 X2 last summer it looked like the teak deck was suppressing some of the wave from the side, I don't know if it would make much difference but just wondering if anyone has played around with this??

I was under the assumption that it was only an issue with the fiberglass swim platform. On my 06 X30 the teak is no where near the water/wave while under way.

Northcountry
01-10-2011, 01:26 PM
I was under the assumption that it was only an issue with the fiberglass swim platform. On my 06 X30 the teak is no where near the water/wave while under way.

Just something I noticed on my friends X2 last summer when fully weighted (it was more the side of the wave not the middle that was getting suppressed (vs. the fibreglass that was suppressing the middle). I guess one way to test would be to see the wave when fully weighted and swim grid removed.

09X2
01-10-2011, 05:13 PM
I was also under the asumption that the Glass platform effected the wave more so than the teak. Im currently searching for an old(ish ) Teak platform that I can modify ( round off corner ) and fit to my 09 X2 which currently has glass....Im in Aus.

g-mantrix
01-21-2011, 02:27 PM
has anyone had any issues with water leaking in through the gas (fuel) cap when loading (port side) their X2 for wakesurfing. I was a little apprehensive to load mine down to the rub rail. I did ensure the cap was screwed on tight, but is there ventilation on the cap that would allow water to leak through??

g-mantrix
01-24-2011, 04:02 AM
bump...

has anyone had any issues with water leaking in through the gas (fuel) cap when loading (port side) their X2 for wakesurfing. I was a little apprehensive to load mine down to the rub rail. I did ensure the cap was screwed on tight, but is there ventilation on the cap that would allow water to leak through?? How do you guys overcome this?

shredstixxwa
01-24-2011, 07:29 AM
I havnt had any issues yet with water in the fuel, touch wood.

shredstixxwa
01-24-2011, 07:34 AM
How do you all turn around to collect the surfer ?
I instantly button off, then let my wave push the boat, i turn oppisite to surf side and square up to my rollers, throttle to clear it.
Any safer suggestions / recomendations ?

MattsCraft
01-24-2011, 08:22 AM
If you are quick enough off of the throttle, you can back up to the rider!:D

Viktimize
01-24-2011, 09:48 AM
How do you all turn around to collect the surfer ?
I instantly button off, then let my wave push the boat, i turn oppisite to surf side and square up to my rollers, throttle to clear it.
Any safer suggestions / recomendations ?

I throttle down, and let the wake go by the boat. Then turn and throttle to go back. Then you don't have to cut through the wake when you turn around.

shredstixxwa
01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
I throttle down, and let the wake go by the boat. Then turn and throttle to go back. Then you don't have to cut through the wake when you turn around.

Might try that...thks

jason@wakemakers.com
01-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Yep, that's how we roll too. Plus it gives some time for the surfer to swim for the board if they have to.

willyt
02-22-2011, 04:54 PM
If you are quick enough off of the throttle, you can back up to the rider!:D

have to be just as quick off reverse. :steering: man i miss that leg

hahahaha jk :eek:

ColdTurkey
02-22-2011, 08:40 PM
I let my wash past and then turn as well, works great.

I'm working on upping the ballast I use but I'm increasing it slowly for safeties sake. So far I just use the two stock ballast tanks, 8 people, fill the centre washdown tank and throw two more 35 Kilo sacks up the front. Then I just use the trim tabs to lean her over and it throws a fairly nice wave so far.

Next plan is about 500 Kilos of sandbags @ 25K each so I can shuffle them around and work out a good balance.

MattsCraft
02-23-2011, 12:35 PM
have to be just as quick off reverse. :steering: man i miss that leg

hahahaha jk :eek:

Legs are over rated anyway:D

MC_tech811
02-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Anyone who is weighting the boat heavily for surfing, like this Nautique guy, Should definitely have a remote Oil filter or dry sump system. Having all of the oil on one side off the engine for a long period of time can definitely cause main bearings to fail or dump oil into the cylinders. BAAADDDD!
IF you have neither, run AT LEAST 1 qt of engine oil OVER FULL!
please... for my sake and yours.