PDA

View Full Version : Summer trips

gatorguy
12-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Just reserved a 53' house boat on Lake Powell for next June. It was our family Christmas present. We are all excited already and it's still 6 months away. I haven't been there for about 10 yrs. and it looks like a few things have changed. They are now charging $15 for park entry, and it is illegal to jump into the water off anything over 15' tall. Guess I won't be jumping that 80 footer like last trip. Actually I wouldn't ever do that again in my life legal or not.

Any suggestions on things not to forget? Also tips on how to keep my baby (will be 18months and walking by then) from drowning? I'm thinking a permanent life-vest, then literally tie her to the boat with a leash that wont reach off the deck of the houseboat

So, what summer trips are people planning to pass the time during the cold winter weather?

ironj32
12-27-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm heading up the efforts to put on a MN Spring Ride in early June. Going to be held in up North MN. Two day event, double up contest w/ at least $3k in prize money. 18 Lodge (hotel rooms) and 30 townhomes (w/ 3-4 bedrooms each) available. We've got permission to enforce a No Wake Zone in the bay that we are going to be in. Should be fun!

WildPeace
12-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Suggestions if in Page, Arizona: 1) Schedule a day to visit both Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon as well as Horseshoe Bend. 2) Grocery shop at the store on the main road through town (not Watmart). At the checkout stand become a member and the discount applys to your first (and probably your only purchase). 3) In Page stay at LULU'S.

atlfootr
12-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Just reserved a 53' house boat on Lake Powell for next June.
We are all excited already and it's still 6 months away.
Any suggestions on things not to forget?

Yeah, I got one ... PICTURES!
TAKE LOTS OF EM! :D:D:D:D

willowtreexx
12-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Im thinking of taking a trip from Chicago to Grand Canyon, Colorado, Las Vegas, LA, and back. Sleep in the back of the Suburban (can hold a twin to full mattress). While there, bike, hike, raft, fish and sight see.

also planning on taking the MC (granted i find one before summer) to the lake every weekend.

NEEDS PICS!

TallRedRider
12-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Haven't heard about the 15 foot rule.

I still jump off stuff and encourage my kids to do so safely...if there is such a thing. 80 feet is too much. I go just high enough to get that butterfly feeling. And don't dive. Pretty well everyone who dies cliff jumping, dies because they lay on the bottom of the lake for 4 hours while search and rescue looks for you ...not because of the impact, although it can knock a person out. Wear a freakin' life vest. A decent fitting neoprene vest is not going to cause a problem when you hit the water.

18 month old children scare me the most in a houseboat situation. I would for sure look into buying one of those suits that have the floatation devices built into them and a zipper in the back. Might even make the kid wear it at night while sleeping.

Where is your houseboat starting from?

s_worty
12-27-2010, 04:07 PM
I took both my kids on a houseboat at Powell at around 18 mo. My daughter has always been very cautious around water so we just made sure that we always had an eye on her even when she was inside. Even with lots of help and she was the only small child it was still pretty stressful and a relief to get home. At that age my son had no respect for the water so we did Infant Swim Resources (www.infantswim.com) with him. Water survival classes. They are hardcore and not suited for all kids, take a lot of your time, especially the first time around, but are well worth the investment. Not that it takes the place of proper supervision and life jackets when necessary but absolutely helps, just another barrier. Honestly, even if you don'y have a boat and go to Powell they are worth it for someone like him! He is a crazy good swimmer for someone who just turned three!

I don't think much of those flotation suits for kids, they provide a false sense of security. Most pools or lifeguards don't let you use flotation for small kids because of that!

Have fun!

gatorguy
12-27-2010, 10:58 PM
We will be heading out of wahweap. I've never done the rental thing before. I've always been with people who were owners and none of them had toddlers. Being afraid that my baby might drown is the only real concern I have. There will be a bunch of adults, but the danger there is that then we may assume that someone else is watching her when really no one is. I've heard about those swim lessons for babies. We may check into them.

As far as jumping off cliffs, I always wear a life jacket because I don't like being under water forever. Just hold on to it when you hit the water so it doesn't tear your head off.

bturner2
12-28-2010, 08:31 AM
We had a enough trouble keeping tack of our drinking friends while house boating, can't imagine trying to keep track or an 18 month old child. They really start moving about that age. When our kids were that age we gave up the house boats on Lake Cumberland KY and started renting houses on Norris Lake TN. Having the kids close to the water was tough enough for us. Doesn't sound like you have that option out west.

Skipper
12-28-2010, 06:21 PM
I am at Lake Powell right now (Page). It will cost you about $60 for a pass for your boat and truck. Then you must get a zebra mussel cleaning and certificate. Not sure of the cost they are not operating right now.

I had my grand kids on our house boat trip last season. Twins 18 months old at the time. I really like the new life vest that is arm floats and a chest float combined and it is USCG approved. It is not possible to keep them in the vests 24/7. You have to be alert.

Also, it gets very hot on the boat. The A/C only works when you run the generator. Plan to burn some fuel keeping the generator in operation during the day.

The little ones had a great time. But it was a lot of work to keep them safe.

TallRedRider
12-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Depending on what week in June you go, the heat may be extreme, or just hot.

My week on the houseboat is the second week of June and it is very nice. Usually a little breezy, highs about high 90's water temp low 70's. (The breeze has been a bummer for finding good water). Have had days where the air temp only got to low 70's, other days 100+ heat. Didn't feel like getting in the water at all when it was cold. We don't usually run the generator as that it feels great as soon as you get in the shade. The nights are cool enough that you can sleep outside and it feels great. The end of June and into July and August are different...expect some serious heat then.

x-swagger
12-29-2010, 09:07 AM
53' Adventurer, Wahweap?
I JUST BOOKED MY TRIP YESTERDAY!!!!!

In can't even begin to tell you how pumped I am. I haven't been there since the summer of '08. This time, I advanced the payment on the boat and now will have to collect from all my friends who make the invite list (should be fun =/). We depart July 4th, and even on such a popular week I was able to get a AAA discount. Another awesome new option that I couldn't get last time was the early boarding, where you can load up the houseboat between 4-6 the afternoon before and sleep on the boat the night before. AWESOME option! And, probably even less $ than 2-3 hotel rooms would cost that night.

Has anyone ever been there the 4th weekend? I am hoping it's not too hot at night to sleep up top, as I expect a pretty full crew. And, how crowded is the lake going to be? Will it be a battle for good mooring spots for the houseboat?

h2oskifreak
12-29-2010, 09:48 AM
It may not be a popular option, but what about leaving the 18 mo. old w/ grandparents. You will have more fun and relax if you do. These are the type of things there is no second chance on, just sayin. Also, don't swim near or under the back of the houseboat. Carbon Monixide builds up there and it has killed several at Powell. Have a great trip to a really great place. I bet I have gone over 100 times in the last 35-38 years. Sunscreen, water and lots of it.

gatorguy
12-29-2010, 02:08 PM
It may not be a popular option, but what about leaving the 18 mo. old w/ grandparents. You will have more fun and relax if you do.

Ya, we thought of that already, only problem is that the people we trust to watch her are coming with us. I think we're gonna do the survival swim lessons and then either my wife, myself or one of her folks will have to literally have direct line of sight the whole time. I'm even a little nervous trusting her folks. It's like toasting bread in the oven. It's super easy, but its so easy to get distracted for just a second, then all the sudden you smell burning bread.

Short of the baby drowning I don't think it's possible to have a bad time at Powell. We'll be there 3rd week of June so it should be good weather, and hopefully we can find a secret canyon to get away from the mobs of monster wake boats.

h2oskifreak
12-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Ya, we thought of that already, only problem is that the people we trust to watch her are coming with us. I think we're gonna do the survival swim lessons and then either my wife, myself or one of her folks will have to literally have direct line of sight the whole time. I'm even a little nervous trusting her folks. It's like toasting bread in the oven. It's super easy, but its so easy to get distracted for just a second, then all the sudden you smell burning bread.

Short of the baby drowning I don't think it's possible to have a bad time at Powell. We'll be there 3rd week of June so it should be good weather, and hopefully we can find a secret canyon to get away from the mobs of monster wake boats.

I have friends that have two little ones and a boat based out of Bullfrog. They have harness devices that both kids wear 24/7 when they are on the water. One parent/relative gets tired of the tether, they do the "hand off". The end of the "leash" that isn't attached to the child is velcrowed to the responsible parties wrist. No exceptions/no holding it. It goes from one persons wrist to another and they sleep that way too. I know it sounds extreme, but how can you blame a parent to 100% safe with their kids lives? Only exception is when they are swimming with the children or at the marina. I never thought it too weird when I saw kids on leashes at Disney when crowds are huge, they are only looking after their childrens well being. Not a fan of leashes for kids unless the enviro is extreme, but there is a time and a place IMO. Swimming lessons a good idea at any age, but are you willing to let an 18 mo. old make decisions for themselves?

Skipper
12-29-2010, 04:07 PM
53' Adventurer, Wahweap?
I JUST BOOKED MY TRIP YESTERDAY!!!!!

In can't even begin to tell you how pumped I am. I haven't been there since the summer of '08. This time, I advanced the payment on the boat and now will have to collect from all my friends who make the invite list (should be fun =/). We depart July 4th, and even on such a popular week I was able to get a AAA discount. Another awesome new option that I couldn't get last time was the early boarding, where you can load up the houseboat between 4-6 the afternoon before and sleep on the boat the night before. AWESOME option! And, probably even less $ than 2-3 hotel rooms would cost that night.

Has anyone ever been there the 4th weekend? I am hoping it's not too hot at night to sleep up top, as I expect a pretty full crew. And, how crowded is the lake going to be? Will it be a battle for good mooring spots for the houseboat?

Congratulations! The 4th will be very busy. Every rental, most time shares, and a ton of private boaters will be on the water. Most people send a reconnaissance element, consisting of one or more small boats and a tent, the day prior to their house boat departure or early in the morning when the boat leaves. You can scout for a good camp site and then occupy by force to hold the spot. Don't be surprised if your quaint little camp site soon has several house boats within a few hundred meters. Just hope they aren't tubers. If the weather is good, it will be hot.

Viktimize
12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I'll be going houseboating in Sicamous, BC for about the 7th year in a row. I always end up being the captain of the houseboat, and missing out on most of the wakesports. But this year I will have my own boat, so no missing out for me this year :D

x-swagger
12-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Congratulations! The 4th will be very busy. Every rental, most time shares, and a ton of private boaters will be on the water. Most people send a reconnaissance element, consisting of one or more small boats and a tent, the day prior to their house boat departure or early in the morning when the boat leaves. You can scout for a good camp site and then occupy by force to hold the spot. Don't be surprised if your quaint little camp site soon has several house boats within a few hundred meters. Just hope they aren't tubers. If the weather is good, it will be hot.

Good call on the recon boat, I will certainly do that man! I am hoping that as I get further away from Wahweap, the competition will be less fierce. But, for the first two nights spot, the recon mission sounds perfect. The unfortunate part is, if all goes to plan and I buy myself the boat I want, I will be scouting in a X-45 with the L-18 in it. That's a lot of gas $$$ for a recon scout mission!!! But, you get what you pay for...

vandit0022
12-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Every year for the past 5 years a big group of friends and I head to Lake Shasta in Norther California and I still highly recommend it in late May/Early June as the temps are usually in the 80's-90's and only one year of those have we had bad weather. Let me tell you, a wind/rain storm in early June on that lake can be a harrowing experience especially when your 56' three deck houseboat is like a giant sail in the wind which is blowing full bbq's off the roof and you break loose from shore at 3am not knowing where you are in reference to shore, and then cannot get the engine started. Oh, and the drunk people getting up mid panic state asking, "is something wrong?" really didn't help. haha.

But this year I have managed to wrangle up nearly 30 people to head up to Lake Shuswap!! 94' houseboat. I'm captaining so you bet I'm stoked!:toast:

Viktimize
12-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Every year for the past 5 years a big group of friends and I head to Lake Shasta in Norther California and I still highly recommend it in late May/Early June as the temps are usually in the 80's-90's and only one year of those have we had bad weather. Let me tell you, a wind/rain storm in early June on that lake can be a harrowing experience especially when your 56' three deck houseboat is like a giant sail in the wind which is blowing full bbq's off the roof and you break loose from shore at 3am not knowing where you are in reference to shore, and then cannot get the engine started. Oh, and the drunk people getting up mid panic state asking, "is something wrong?" really didn't help. haha.

But this year I have managed to wrangle up nearly 30 people to head up to Lake Shuswap!! 94' houseboat. I'm captaining so you bet I'm stoked!:toast:

You'll love it!! I have basically the same boat this year, except I go with TwinAnchors. I'll be there July 31-Aug 4th.

Skipper
12-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Good call on the recon boat, I will certainly do that man! I am hoping that as I get further away from Wahweap, the competition will be less fierce. But, for the first two nights spot, the recon mission sounds perfect. The unfortunate part is, if all goes to plan and I buy myself the boat I want, I will be scouting in a X-45 with the L-18 in it. That's a lot of gas $$$ for a recon scout mission!!! But, you get what you pay for...

Rock Creek is the boundary for most boaters departing from Wahweap. Going to Rock Creek or Last Chance puts boaters closer to Dangling Rope Marina for fuel. There are a ton of great camping locations in Padre Bay. They are close to Wahweap for refueling. Just don't expect to find a place all for your onsies on the 4th of July.

Skipper
12-31-2010, 04:46 PM

Just a hint of snow on the Escalante Rim above Padre Bay at Lake Powell.

Skipper
12-31-2010, 09:33 PM
All cliff jumping has been outlawed on Lake Powell. There are no height requirements. I saw a poster at the launch ramp at Wahweap today.

gatorguy
12-31-2010, 09:55 PM
All cliff jumping has been outlawed on Lake Powell. There are no height requirements. I saw a poster at the launch ramp at Wahweap today.

I got this from the NPS website

http://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/yoursafety.htm

Cliff Jumping
It is prohibited for any person to jump or dive off of rock cliffs, ledges, or man-made structures (excluding vessels).The NPS does not advocate or promote the activity of cliff jumping or diving regardless of the height from the water surface. For the purpose of this restriction cliff, ledge, or man-made structure is defined to mean any formation of rock or soil, or structure, or combination thereof having a height of 15 or more from the surface of the water.

Maybe they just haven't updated the website yet.