PDA

View Full Version : black deck

ddanenberger
12-26-2010, 02:31 PM
anyone had a black deck? Is it too hot?

tex
12-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Back before my MC I had a solid black Ski Supreme...Never noticed a problem.

DemolitionMan
12-26-2010, 02:53 PM
It gets warm but its not bad.

Covi
12-26-2010, 03:54 PM
MC switched to black dash in 88' I had an 89' with black dash it never got to bad but was hard to keep from oxidating. Cant speak for the whole deck....

DemolitionMan
12-26-2010, 04:05 PM
The parts that get wet are not hot.

ddanenberger
12-26-2010, 07:04 PM
thanks for the replies. We ordered a x25 which should go into production in a few days. I am concerned that the black deck may be too hot. You indicated the parts that get wet aren't bad., what about the rest?

ski_king
12-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Bxroads had some pictures on here of his all black 190. Those pictures looked HOT!!

09X2
12-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Depends how hot it gets where you go boating.
My interior is white and it gets hot on a 40 deg c day.
Our Oz summers are long and very hot.
Black is a biatch to clean and shows marks and scratches more easily.
Black looks best.

bturner2
12-27-2010, 08:35 AM
I had a Wellcraft 210XL that had black accents around the sun lounger that were very hot to the touch if the boat was sitting in the sun while playing around at the local sand bar. If someone leaned against it with their back you'd here them yell and jump away quickly. I used to splash it with water throughout the day to try and keep it cooler. It was also a real bear to keep clean. Between removing oxidation and water spots it was the most waxed and cared for area of the boat.

That was 20 years ago and I'm sure the gelcoat is better now and will not oxidize as quickly. I would however find it hard to believe that there's some new formula that keeps black gelcoat cooler. Black is Black because it absorbs all light hence the energy that is associated with that light. Black surfaces are also know as thermal collectors which by definition collect light and generate heat.

All this being said black vehicles (boats, planes, cars, you name it) tend to look really good as long as they're clean and well taken care of. They also show imperfections and flaw more than lighter colors. If you don't mind the extra work keeping your boat clean and the extra heat associated with the color, a black MasterCraft is going to be a very striking boat to look at.

TX.X-30 fan
12-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Very hot not recomended where I live for sure and with global warming its not going to get any better.

vision
12-27-2010, 08:50 PM
My 05 had black gel coat near the top. It was warm to the touch on a 100 degree day, but never so hot as to make you move your hand.

However, sit on the black vinyl stripe on the sun pad my 08 and you will burn your leg!

JohnE
12-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Wasn't a problem on my 05 197. Keeping it looking pristine was more of an issue with coolers, ski's etc. knocking around.

Harry Reynolds
12-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Ditto both of the above. We have a few black wisps through the interior and although they look great, sit on one in the summer and WOW!!!!! That gets your attention. The summer sun in Charlotte is pretty intense so depending where you are going to be boating, you may be ok. Personally, I would not go with anything black around water and sun. Like some one else said, "Black is beautiful, but black is a Bei-ach"

BMcD
12-28-2010, 10:47 AM
I will mirror many of the prior posts - black looks great, however we decided not to own one. A few years ago my wife and I considered an all black Crownline before falling in love with MC and purchasing our X45. Since we live on the water and the boat will be in the sun (covered most the time) for 4-5 months, the black would oxidize and wear too fast. Additionally, when we looked at the boat at an outdoor boat show in the sun, that top deck gelcoat had to be over 105 degrees. With a kid on the way, it just wasn't a good option for us.

That said, black does look great and gets a lot of attention. It just may take a little more attention to keep it looking and feeling the way you want.

Live Day1 (http://www.liveday1.com)

Thrall
12-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Got a all black boat. I don't think the fiberglass gets any hotter than other colors, the vinyl will get you first anyway.
That said if I lived somewhere where the water wasn't nice and clean, or boated ALOT, kept it on a lift, etc black wouldn't be on the top of my list. It's enough maint as is for a 50hr/year garage queen.

Covi
12-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Got a all black boat. I don't think the fiberglass gets any hotter than other colors, the vinyl will get you first anyway.
That said if I lived somewhere where the water wasn't nice and clean, or boated ALOT, kept it on a lift, etc black wouldn't be on the top of my list. It's enough maint as is for a 50hr/year garage queen.

Funny I was also thinking of the black strip we had on the upholstery got so hot also. Never minded anything else but that darn, well positioned black strip!

ddanenberger
12-28-2010, 01:26 PM
thanks for the replies. I am done second guessing, since the boat goes into production next week. I will stick with the original colors and put up with the heat and cleaning.

TX.X-30 fan
12-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Black is awesome, I was speaking of the top of the boat.

ddanenberger
12-28-2010, 06:45 PM
it also has a black top.

ddanenberger
12-28-2010, 07:15 PM
here is the top view. I went with the new carbon colors.

TN X-45
12-28-2010, 08:39 PM
That's a sweet looking boat! Well done!

Thrall
12-28-2010, 09:28 PM
That looks friggen sweet. I like the seat color too, light gray?
I got the worst of both worlds, black gel EVERYWHERE and white vinyl!
Like I said, if I kept my boat on the water and used it frequently I'd definately be second guessing my color combo.

sizzler
12-29-2010, 03:30 AM
Bxroads had some pictures on here of his all black 190. Those pictures looked HOT!!

they certainly did Denny.......they certainly did;);):cool:

ddanenberger
01-01-2011, 10:16 PM
the interior is carbon dove base, carbon flint trim, black tops (realy charcoal), black isn't black in '11.

I'm still worried abot the temp with the 25 having seats in the back.

JohnE
01-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Great looking boat. The seats would be more of a concern than the fiberglass to me. Throw a towel down or splash some water on them and it should be fine though. Great looking boat. Love the black.

09X2
01-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Its only super hot when its dry, it was 40 c here yesterday and i couldnt walk on the white vinyl when dry....its was scorching.....not to mention my black swim platform rubber.