PDA

View Full Version : Brown stains on hull

boyd
12-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Just in case someone else has this problem ...... I have had this boat for about 3 years. I tried buffing, wax, light wet sanding, compound and nothing worked. Then I read on here what would take the stains off. Toilet bowl cleaner, I do recommend a good wax after. The cleaner strips all the wax off. I made the mistake of not rewaxing, when I went out for the day I had to put the cleaner on again to get the new stains off.
Here are some before and after shots and the cleaner I used.
**I knew my boat was stained, but I did not realize how bad it was til I cleaned it with the the toilet bowl cleaner.

BOYD

CantRepeat
12-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Starbrite hull cleaner is your friend.

snork
12-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Been boating and skiing in a toilet?

Table Rocker
12-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Just in case someone else has this problem ...... I have had this boat for about 3 years. I tried buffing, wax, light wet sanding, compound and nothing worked. Then I read on here what would take the stains off. Toilet bowl cleaner, I do recommend a good wax after. The cleaner strips all the wax off. I made the mistake of not rewaxing, when I went out for the day I had to put the cleaner on again to get the new stains off.
Here are some before and after shots and the cleaner I used.
**I knew my boat was stained, but I did not realize how bad it was til I cleaned it with the the toilet bowl cleaner.

BOYD
That looks like it worked wonders. Do you dilute it or use it full strength?

Mgboyd25
12-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Looks good! Doesn't it feel good to see white again

bigmac
12-26-2010, 01:03 PM
IMHO it makes more sense to buy oxalic acid preparations that are in concentrations designed and tested for gelcoat rather than oxalic acid preparations that are designed for toilets.

Table Rocker
12-26-2010, 02:07 PM
I was looking at the MSDS sheets for the various hull cleaners and noticed that StarBrite EZ on EZ off was diluted hydrochloric acid and water. The sheet shows >10% hydrochloric acid and sells for $35.00 a galllon at West Marine.
http://www.kelloggmarine.com/msds/STA-%20Starbrite/STA_EZonEZoff_MSDS.pdf

Muriatic acid is diluted hydrochloric acid and a gallon of 30% solution can be bought for $7.00 a gallon.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/MSDS/Recochem/rec_muriatic.pdf

So I guess you can buy muriatic acid and cut it by 1/3 and have the same product at one fifteenth the price.

"The Works" is 15-20% HCl
https://www2.itap.purdue.edu/msds/docs/8765.pdf

CantRepeat
12-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Be sure and get some wax on that as soon as you can.

cdevro
12-28-2010, 05:12 AM
I worked for a boat detailer (one of the best in AZ) Dirty Deeds Marine and Detail, and I can say muratic is the way to go. Don't get it on chrome for too long. Always rinse with plenty of water and wear gloves.

boyd
12-28-2010, 04:00 PM
I bought the boat a couple years ago. The boat had been sitting in the water and on a lift.
It was very nasty when I got it. I used the starbrite hull cleaner and it got 95% of the stuff off. At the time I was very pleased with the result because it was SO much better. However, after looking at it for about two years, it didn't look so white afterall. I tried many things. I read on this website about the toilet cleaner. Hey, say what you want, but the results speak for themselves. I did this about 3 months ago and there is nothing negative about using it. I just wiped it on with a sponge on an area about 2'x3' , waited 30 seconds, and sprayed it off with water (lots of water). After I did the whole boat, took about 15 minutes, I washed with soap and water and applied wax. I am very happy with the results.
Hope others benefit from this.

BOYD

Luv2Ski
12-28-2010, 04:07 PM
So I guess you can buy muriatic acid and cut it by 1/3 and have the same product at one fifteenth the price.

Yep, though this seams to be often overlooked. If you poke around online, a 50/50 mix with water is common.

Table Rocker
12-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Boyd, I appreciate your post and the pics. I bought a 28 oz. bottle of "The Works" yesterday for $1.07. When Spring rolls around my '96 will hopefully look like new.