PDA

View Full Version : Help a new MC owner in Australia

mallees
12-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Hi Guys, a mate of mine has imported an 08 X2 from the States and it just arrived the other day. He has taken it down to the lake for its first outing today, but 10 seconds after it starts, the squawker goes off and the check engine light comes on. Voltage is ok at 13v, oil pressure is about 60 psi, temp was 160 but it climbed to 170 then they shut it down. Motor only ran for 10-15 mins

They also told me that the exhaust manifolds are pretty hot,

Question 1, Is there more than 1 temp sensor, i.e. one for gauge and one for the Ecu? because the alarm went of at 160 deg initially.
Question 2, What other faults can cause the "check Engine" light to come on?

AussieMC
12-24-2010, 02:10 AM
Hi Mal.
I'd be checking impeller, if haven't already.

mallees
12-24-2010, 02:13 AM
Hi Shane, he changed the impeller yesterday, the old one was missing a vane though. Maybe stuck inside???

AussieMC
12-24-2010, 02:24 AM
Possibly, Check where the water intake connects to the oil cooler. There's a mesh type grill there and it should catch any debris. Merry Christmas to you, Kay and the kids.

bturner2
12-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Definitely sounds like water flow. Start at the hull fitting. Make sure the seacock is open at the hull fitting. A lot of people will close all the hull fittings when they put the boat up for storage. If you're good here your going to be looking for obstructions. Next move to the oil cooler and lastly to the raw water pump checking hoses along the way. If you're still not getting water, pull the cover off the raw water pump and make sure the impeller is turning. This process should be pretty straight forward. If you're not getting water to the raw water pump there has to be an obstruction somewhere.

If you're good all the way to the raw water pump and you are getting water flow to this point then you're talking the engine water pump or the thermostat. I haven't seen a lot of engine water pumps go bad so my first point of focus would be the thermostat. You used to be able to run without the thermostat but on the new engines you'll need it. If you get to this point you could run temporarily without the thermostat just to see if this changes the problem but you'll need to replace it to ensure the engine runs properly. Good luck, let us know what you find.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Good job on the reply bturner2. Hit all the nails on the head. Congrats on the X2 and good luck - this shouldn't be too difficult to solve and get on the water.

bobx1
12-24-2010, 11:30 AM
.... but 10 seconds after it starts, the squawker goes off and the check engine light comes on.....

Before you start chasing the temp issue I would DISCONNECT the battery, take it out and put it on full charge (or change it out with a fresh battery) then try it again. I know you said your volts are fine but my battery ran down and I charged it back up but until I completely disconnected, the alarm would continue to sound. You said the alarm goes off within 10 seconds of starting so it still may be a low voltage issue.

You may very well have a temp problem that needs to be fixed before you run it but it would not take but a few minutes to eliminate low voltage.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

wato
12-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Hey thanks mal for posting this up... The boat is accually for 07 if that makes any differance?

I replaced the water impeller before i took it out and i took a hose of after the impeller to make sure it is pumping water and it is!

I have pulled out the thermosatat and tested it and it is opening up, seems to work fine..

I found some debre and the rib of the impeller in the strainer before it goes through the trans cooler. Pulled out debre but would have been enough to stop alot of flow..

Seacock is open..

By raw water pump do you mean the one of the back where i changed the impeller?

Whats involved in checking the oil cooler?

Thanks so much for all your input, hopefully we can get it sorted

O and next step im going to plug into a water hose on drive way and make sure water is coming out the exhausts and will change battery to see if that makes any difference, but battery wouldnt explain hot exhaust manifolds..

vision
12-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Before you start chasing the temp issue I would DISCONNECT the battery, take it out and put it on full charge (or change it out with a fresh battery) then try it again. I know you said your volts are fine but my battery ran down and I charged it back up but until I completely disconnected, the alarm would continue to sound. You said the alarm goes off within 10 seconds of starting so it still may be a low voltage issue.

You may very well have a temp problem that needs to be fixed before you run it but it would not take but a few minutes to eliminate low voltage.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Agreed. I am not saying it is not a temperature problem, but it does not sound like a temperature issue from your description. Alarm went off too quickly. Temperature gauge was not elevated as many T-stats will go up to 170 or 180 before opening and the temp falls back to 160. The catalytic convertors run at 1000 degrees F so hot exhaust manifolds is expected.

But, low battery or recent oil change and that darn alarm will squeal immediately. When he pressed the reset did the alarm stop?

Good luck. Hopefully it is something simple.

wato
12-24-2010, 10:34 PM
so just changed to battery over and still same problem...

Where is the reset button?

Cobra Rob
12-24-2010, 10:35 PM
I was fighting a very similar issue at the end of the season. I ended up having to replace entire ECU since it was also throwing a ton of codes when the check engine came on.

wato
12-24-2010, 10:59 PM
So i pluged water in at home and water is running through and out the exhausts...

Im out of ideas now

1redTA
12-24-2010, 11:06 PM
is there a temp sensor in the head? It may be bad usually there are two on gm engines 1 for the gauge and 2 for the PCM

vision
12-25-2010, 12:00 AM
so just changed to battery over and still same problem...

Where is the reset button?

Not sure on the 07. IIRC, on an 05 it was the button for the multifunction gauge. It is the menu button on the VDIG.

So does the engine truly overheat?

wato
12-25-2010, 01:51 AM
im not sure if it truely over heats....... i havent ran it for long enough to find out as i dont want to do any damage and that sieren is soooooo dam anoying!

wato
12-25-2010, 01:51 AM
also im not sure if this would effect anything, but i did install another amp for the tower speakers, could this have short something?

vision
12-25-2010, 11:26 AM
also im not sure if this would effect anything, but i did install another amp for the tower speakers, could this have short something?

I would try disconnecting all power leads that you added to incorporate the new amp. Anything in the electrical harness that you changed, set back to the original set up and see what happens.

By chance, does the alarm come on if you simply turn the key on but do not start the engine?

wato
12-25-2010, 11:34 AM
tried disconecting the amp and deosnt change anything...

It doesnt beep when only ignition is switch on...

I should add, when i first got the boat home I tried to start it just to make sure it was good to go but it wouldnt fire up.. So i though the fuel must have gone stail.. But i checked over the motor and found a plug had come off the coil, so put that on and it fired straight away...

A friend was telling me that if there was a problem and was fixed that the error will still show up for the next 4-5 warmup and cool downs... maybe is why im getting the error?

I also ran the motor on the driveway today and the engine temp goes up to 170 then goes back to 160 and holds on 160... Exhaust manifolds are still hot, not sure if this is normal!

Thanks

Cloaked
12-25-2010, 11:44 AM
good luck.....

snork
12-25-2010, 11:55 AM
trust your gauges. what you hear is an idiot annoying alarm. could been tripped by one of many things. press your selection switch to get rid of alarm temporarily. your alarm will sound after every start but after a few cold starts it should go away. enjoy your warm weather.

TX.X-30 fan
12-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Sounds like low voltage, what size amp did you install, what amp hr. battery did you replace with?? At idle in the driveway the battery has to be fully charged or after a bit the low volt alarm will kick in. What are the volts reading at idle in the drive, if it drops below 11.5 the alarm will sound. Remember at idle with a stock alt. you will not be making much for stereo equipment like amps.

g-mantrix
12-25-2010, 05:56 PM
I must say, it is fantastic to see fellow MC owners across the other side of the world helping us when we need assistance.
I have been reading this post, Wato is a mate of mine, we are located in Melbourne Australia and have both recently become MC owners. Im sure there will be times when we will seek your invaluable input :D Hopefully I will make a trip across to the US and would be great to meet up with you
Merry Xmas to all

thatsmrmastercraft
12-25-2010, 10:50 PM
One big happy family. I can't imagine you would find this from any other boat manufacturer.

mallees
12-28-2010, 06:44 PM
I just spoke to Wato, and he was able to fix the problem by resetting as suggested by you guys. He is now out on the lake, and very very happy.

Thanks heaps to all you guys on the other side of the pond, it really is great that you can find the time to help out us Aussies, especially at this busy time of the year. The support network over here is very limited.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to all Teamtalkers and your families.

mccobmd
12-28-2010, 09:27 PM
I almost never can help with engine questions but we all like something to break up the winter project and unban threads. Get some postings in the glass waters, pictures of my driver and wakeboard shots threads. The sunshine and action shots will be greatly apprectiated.