PDA

View Full Version : Head light replacement

ahhudgins
12-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Anyone have a positive or negative opinion about replacing stock headlights (bulbs) with the ultra bright or white bulbs? I've got to replace one bulb, but I thought about changing both out to the white bulbs if they really make a noticable difference.

I know they seem brighter when I meet a car coming the opposite direction and most of the advertising states that the beam travels farther. Split-fire spark plugs also state that I can increase my HP by 10% by changing plugs. :rolleyes:

JLeuck64
12-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Swapped in a pair of those brighter lights last year. One of em burnt out so I put the old ones back in. Couldn't really tell the difference any ways...

Justjoe
12-24-2010, 06:29 AM
I put an HID bulb in the bike and it's AWESOME. I become the sun at night.

ahhudgins
12-24-2010, 09:09 AM
One positve, one negative, so I have a 50/50 shot. I guess I'll spend the extra bucks and replace both of them and then let you know.

CantRepeat
12-24-2010, 09:25 AM
HIDs are not just a light bulb change.

http://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-4300K/dp/B00129LTI0

ahhudgins
12-24-2010, 12:39 PM
HIDs are not just a light bulb change.

http://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-4300K/dp/B00129LTI0

Right, I don't think I'll be doing all of that! I guess I'll go to Auto Zone and see what the price difference is to see if it's worth throwing my money away like JLeuck64 did.
One of my bulbs is a pain in the put to get to (the one that is bad), so as long as the newer bulbs aren't any worse I'll just leave them in there until they blow.

My concern was if the new brighter bulbs burned hotter than the old style and I would run the risk of melting anything. My truck is a 97 F150 and the beam distance has always seemed weak to me.

DJ 50
12-25-2010, 02:45 AM
My in-laws have them in their cars which I have driven several times. Light seems brighter and clearer to me however I can't speak on how long they last as compared to a regular headlight.

CruisinGA
12-25-2010, 09:12 AM
IMO not worth it unless you are making a real upgrade (like to HID system).

Lots of Land Cruiser guys did this upgrade to HIR bulbs, using John Deere off-highway bulbs. Often need to have an upgraded headlight harness to handle extra power requirements.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/122662-john-deere-hir-bulbs.html

ahhudgins
12-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Swapped in a pair of those brighter lights last year. One of em burnt out so I put the old ones back in. Couldn't really tell the difference any ways...
Your answer along with the packaging helped with my decision.

The temperature outside finally made it above 40 degrees so I went to Auto Zone. They sell 3 different intensity bulbs above the standard brightness. Standard set (pair) is $19. Then it goes to $25, $39, and finally $49. Always read the find print. All of the claims of "brighter, whiter, farther, etc, are based on the intensity of the new bulb versus the old bulb at 80%. They assume you are replacing a bulb with some age on it, so it has lost at least 20% of it's performance. The two higher priced bulbs state that with higher performance comes shorter life and they only warranty the bulb for 12 months. Not worth it to me.
I got the $24 set and could see no difference from the stock bulb. I washed the snow and salt off of the lens and it got a lot brighter!!:D