PDA

View Full Version : Boat transport

SWeaver
12-23-2010, 05:49 PM
2003 205V with tower.
It's a long ways away....3000 miles, and it's winter. Gotta cross the Rockies. I can take the time and road trip it myself, but I'm leaning towards writing a check. Either way....what are your tips and/or suggestions and general advice.

1) shrinkwrap or no shrinkwrap
2) flatbed vs tow-away
3) references for good experience with boat haulers.
any other thoughts........

Thanks!

cdstukey
12-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Maristar 210 to the white courtesy phone...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34498

flipper
12-23-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure if 210 is still doing it or not. If not, Sodar had one shipped a while ago. May want to talk to him about it.

TX.X-30 fan
12-23-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure if 210 is still doing it or not. If not, Sodar had one shipped a while ago. May want to talk to him about it.

Wife told me he was still going strong as ever...........;)

Maristar210
12-23-2010, 06:31 PM
I prefer to tow with nothing on the boat as a cover or shrinkwrap acts like 1500 grit sandpaper on the gelcoat. Towing on a flatbed is the preferred way to go but its expensive as all get out. I could do this right after the holidays for you.

E-mail me steveS389@hotmail.com

SWeaver
12-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Don't boats come from the factory shrinkwrapped? How do dealers remedy the scuffing? I dont have any experience with this, so I respect your opinion. Just trying to get as much info/least damage as possible.

So, the shrink wrap would protect the interior well, and the exterior from some road stuff (sand etc), but it will scuff it up the gel coat. In your opinion, is that scuffing able to be buffed out similarly to a gelcoat restoration? Or is it REALLY bad?

Maristar210
12-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Don't boats come from the factory shrinkwrapped? How do dealers remedy the scuffing? I dont have any experience with this, so I respect your opinion. Just trying to get as much info/least damage as possible.

So, the shrink wrap would protect the interior well, and the exterior from some road stuff (sand etc), but it will scuff it up the gel coat. In your opinion, is that scuffing able to be buffed out similarly to a gelcoat restoration? Or is it REALLY bad?

The scuffing you refer to is not nearly as pronounced with shrink wrap. With the boat cover however I delivered a boat to (black boat) Lake Champlaign that did not look good once the cover was removed. I delivered a MS280 to Salt Lake as well that was shrink wrapped and it was barely noticeable on a white hull. If it were my boat I would remove the cushions that tend get airborn and leave it uncovered. Of course this was during the easier months without snow. Where are you going to and from? Good luck however you get it there.

Maristar210
12-23-2010, 07:30 PM
couple of pics of boats.... second one is a CSX265 I hauled over the GW bridge to Long Island NY

SWeaver
12-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I am going from San Francisco to Hartford. I am trying to get a ride on a flatbed or boat-hauler.

I've got alot of time to get it done, but i'd prefer to get it done in january. In theory, I could wait until march. It's just in storage and it's cold outside.

I'd like to compare your tow services to the quotes I get from the flatbed guys. If it's a big enough price difference, and you feel like making a long trip.......
It's a 205v tandem axle MC trailer with brakes on each axle with a tower.
sweaver76@aol.com

Maristar210
12-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Well.(gasp) That will be pricey for me to do but I can calculate a number for you to compare with. Talk about crossing the USA. :D:D

Maristar210
12-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Wow. My calculator just smoked itself. That's 6185 miles for me round trip. 3077 miles loaded with the 205V. My price would be more than you would think is competitive ($4500ish). I would have nearly $2000 just in fuel costs alone. I think a hitched ride with a coast to coast transport would be your best option. My longest trip to date was 3800 miles thru the rockies and that took a year off my life:D...

I would be curious to see what you find out? You can list it on USHIP.com too......

Maristar210
12-23-2010, 07:54 PM
couple more pics for you to see.........

TX.X-30 fan
12-23-2010, 08:03 PM
That black one is fine looking!!!!!!!!

Maristar210
12-23-2010, 08:10 PM
It was. The CSX made the hair on my neck stand up though. So, so cool... I WANT ONE!!!

TX.X-30 fan
12-23-2010, 08:15 PM
It was. The CSX made the hair on my neck stand up though. So, so cool... I WANT ONE!!!

They are beasts for sure, been standing next to both sizes and wow.

SWeaver
12-23-2010, 08:30 PM
It is listed on uship. towaway bids run from $1900-3000....Had a flatbed for $2900, still working on it though, as I just put it up.

I thought it may be more of a drive than you wanted to get involved in, but i figured I'd ask. It's 3015 miles door to door, but you would have alot of empty miles too.

TX.X-30 fan
12-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Flatbed offers a bit more warm a fuzzy huh? I think it would to me.

Jerseydave
12-23-2010, 09:14 PM
I towed my xstar 10 hours in january from ohio to nj.....weather was crappy so i towed with the cover on....never again! Going from CA to CT in january, I would have it shrinked real tight because I'm sure they will hit snow, salty roads, etc. You will just have to buff out the marks when it gets there. You need to protect that interior or else it will take months to dry out.

I hope you find a good hauler for your new baby! Where in CT do you ski?

Jerseydave
12-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Maristar210, if you ever need someone to do some short-trip hauling in my area give me a shout or send me a PM. I work 4 days a week so I have some extra time (if it's not summer) ;)

SWeaver
12-23-2010, 09:20 PM
I appreciate all the input/advice.

The flatbed just seems like it'd eliminate a whole lotta potential trailer issues over a long drive, tires, bearing, deflecting some of the debris etc....but i still don't have the warm fuzzies about it. I just couldn't say NO after the test drive......and then he accepted my lowball offer....I can't be held responsible. It was a Perfect Storm of timing and weakness.....I hadn't been on a boat in months, it was a nice day, they detailed the boat, it had the MCX...I was vulnerable.

I'm sure the road conditions will not be good at all. I'm wondering if I should just wait until spring.....but that creates a whole other set of issues.

I'm up between Hartford and Providence, but i work in Newark....and I bought a boat in San Francisco.

ksdaoski
12-23-2010, 10:24 PM
what kind of boat?

Maristar210
12-24-2010, 12:46 AM
2003 205V with tower.
It's a long ways away....3000 miles, and it's winter. Gotta cross the Rockies. I can take the time and road trip it myself, but I'm leaning towards writing a check. Either way....what are your tips and/or suggestions and general advice.

1) shrinkwrap or no shrinkwrap
2) flatbed vs tow-away
3) references for good experience with boat haulers.
any other thoughts........

Thanks!

I think he said......... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thrall
12-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Wow, good luck getting it across country!
I too rarely tow with the cover on. I will stop when I see a rainstorm coming and cover it until the roads dry, but that's about it.
In your case though, I'd cover it. You could have 3000mi of bad roads. Just protect the suspect areas. Cover the windshiled frame with pipe insul, masking tape or swim noodles. Assuming it has a MC type cover just under the rubrail, Basically the whole deck needs to be protected. Either get a commercail sized roll of cling wrap, or use masking tape on the whole thing. Bet a cple rolls of the 3" wide tape would cover most areas that could be scratched.
Now if you have some polishing to do anyway on it, I wouldn't sweat it and just throw the cover on and go. It won't be that bad. (Do protect the windshield trim though)

Thrall
12-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Hey, we should see if we can get this guys boat across country with Team Talk members! I live on I 70 and could haul it a few hundred miles no sweat. I'm making the commute anyway!:)

thatsmrmastercraft
12-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Hey, we should see if we can get this guys boat across country with Team Talk members! I live on I 70 and could haul it a few hundred miles no sweat. I'm making the commute anyway!:)

Great idea. I would sure help but the detour through Minnesota would really add the miles.

bobx1
12-24-2010, 11:20 AM

This could be fun and possibly made into a Reality TV show.

You could avoid some snow and take it from San Fran to LA then east on I-10 to Florida then north to Hartford. I'll take her through Louisiana and Mississippi.

LaRue
12-24-2010, 12:55 PM
This could be fun and possibly made into a Reality TV show.

You could avoid some snow and take it from San Fran to LA then east on I-10 to Florida then north to Hartford. I'll take her through Louisiana and Mississippi.

I would be a willing to help through the midwest:cool:

sethro
12-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Depending on the type of trailer, make sure your quote involves hoisting to and from the trailer if that is what is necessary.

Barefooter92
12-24-2010, 04:29 PM
I could help on the turnpike through Indiana and Ohio!

Team Talk Truckin'

I hulled mine in march 750mi. Cover on! It was a brand new cover and the wind shield bumper wore a hole in the cover in one day. I use a towel at minimum on the frame to protect the cover.

SWeaver
12-24-2010, 05:26 PM
I have a feeling if you all were so nice to help me get it to CT, it'd leave San Francisco with 200hrs, and get to Hartford a couple months later with 500hrs :D

got 2 quotes for flatbeds....same price in the end, same time frame.
autokrafttransport.com $2700 self loading trailer
and
boattransport.com $2500 needs a lift on and off.

anybody know these guys?

SWeaver
12-24-2010, 05:28 PM
http://cdn-9.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/liquidwrenches/vp1878005_1_large.jpg

SWeaver
12-24-2010, 05:29 PM
i forgot how much you all liked pics......

SWeaver
12-24-2010, 05:32 PM
http://cdn-9.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/liquidwrenches/vp1878005_3_large.jpg

http://cdn-9.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/liquidwrenches/vp1878005_3_thumb.jpg

Viktimize
12-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Good luck with your trek. I am in the same dilema. Looking at a boat in Texas, and I need to tow it to Alberta, Canada. That's just over 4000mi round trip!! I was planning to go in January, but thinking it might be better to have it stored down there, and wait till spring to get it when the weather is better.