PDA

View Full Version : Brand new engine in a 2007 MC

MES
12-23-2010, 11:11 AM
I am looking to buy a 2007 X2. In showroom, the boat looks awesome. Only issue is that the engine is rebuilt twice.

The dealer offered me to replace engine (w/o gearbox) with new one, same like installed.

I understand that even if the engine is replaced, this is not going to be a new boat, but what should I expect ? should there be any reliability issues, etc ?

In other words, what should you expect when you put a brand new engine in an old boat ?

scott023
12-23-2010, 11:14 AM
You should expect full warranty on the new engine, which should provide a high level of comfort. I would personally jump at the opportunity to own a relatively new boat with a brand new motor.

broncotw
12-23-2010, 11:20 AM
I agree with Scott23... Make sure you get the same warranty as if the engine was purchased in a new boat..... If so, you should sleep well at night!

CantRepeat
12-23-2010, 11:20 AM
You should expect full warranty on the new engine, which should provide a high level of comfort. I would personally jump at the opportunity to own a relatively new boat with a brand new motor.

I agree with Scott on this, as long as the boat is priced right.

You'll end up with a zero hour engine, with warrenty, and if the boat is cosmetically in good shape I see no issues.

Thrall
12-23-2010, 11:29 AM
So you're saying it was rebuilt once and now that motor is shot too and it's sitting on the showroom floor with a blown engine?
Rest of the boat in good shape?
What has caused 2 engines to go bad? How many hours on the boat and on each engine? This doesn't make alot of sense.:confused:
Assuming a good condition, well optioned, low hours 07 X2 sells for $40-45k, I'd offer them $30k with a blown engine and buy a new long block for $2k.
Typically there wouldn't be any concern with a new engine unless it was from abuse/lack of maintenance, in which case the rest of the boat will be used and abused too, thus fetching a lower price.

flipper
12-23-2010, 11:30 AM
2007 on it's third engine? Something doesn't sound right to me. I'd question how the tranny and other parts were cared for.

The8Ball
12-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I would stay clear. Sometimes the best deals are the ones never made...

captain planet
12-23-2010, 12:01 PM
2007 on it's third engine? Something doesn't sound right to me. I'd question how the tranny and other parts were cared for.

I'll second that. Was it not winterized properly? Did they offer reasons for the first two engine failures?

ttu
12-23-2010, 12:06 PM
I'll second that. Was it not winterized properly? Did they offer reasons for the first two engine failures?

i would have to agree. my 07 has 240 hrs and runs perfect and i even do the maintance.:rolleyes:

scott023
12-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Others are right, I think we need to know the reasons for the first two engine issues. If they were transmission related, I would make sure that it is replaced with new as well.

scott023
12-23-2010, 12:08 PM
So you're saying it was rebuilt once and now that motor is shot too and it's sitting on the showroom floor with a blown engine?
Rest of the boat in good shape?
What has caused 2 engines to go bad? How many hours on the boat and on each engine? This doesn't make alot of sense.:confused:
Assuming a good condition, well optioned, low hours 07 X2 sells for $40-45k, I'd offer them $30k with a blown engine and buy a new long block for $2k.Typically there wouldn't be any concern with a new engine unless it was from abuse/lack of maintenance, in which case the rest of the boat will be used and abused too, thus fetching a lower price.

No way I would do this... if the dealer is going to install and warranty a new engine, I would do that before I did the work myself. It is obvious that there have been issues already, no way I would pull that boat away from the dealer without warranty.

flipper
12-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Others are right, I think we need to know the reasons for the first two engine issues. If they were transmission related, I would make sure that it is replaced with new as well.
Yeah, bad oil in the tranny often times blows the engine. :D

scott023
12-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah, bad oil in the tranny often times blows the engine. :D

:rotf: :rotf:

You know what I'm saying ya fugger.

flipper
12-23-2010, 12:46 PM
I know I know....I couldn't resist. LMAO

vision
12-23-2010, 12:47 PM
All great comments and whether to pull the trigger depends on cost, other potential boat abuse, and warranty from the dealer.

While I like the idea of having the dealer drop in a new engine and 3 year warranty (or 5 year with a new Indmar), I would buy this boat if the price was right and drop in a Yanmar 6 cylinder diesel.

corey
12-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Need more info here. If the block is cracked than this boat is likely getting a remanned block with the existing parts being swapped over, I'd expect a 1 year warranty on something like that. We do about 3-5 of these a year, have yet to run into a problem other than noticing a cracked intake too, in which case that must be replaced as well. FWIW we have replaced 2 engines in the same boat due to a cracked block, remember peeps, winterizing your boat is more than just a good idea!

Replacement engines from Indmar do not carry the same warranty as a new engine in a new boat, I think its a 30 or 90 day warranty on those. You could likely get an aftermarket warranty from FPC which could cover 3 years.

vision
12-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Or replace it with this engine. Impressive torque at low to mid rpms for a V6.

Timbo126
12-23-2010, 02:25 PM
I had a brand new x-45 with the 8.1L in it. It was properly broken in with on schedule oil changes. Blew two motors within the first 100hrs. Finally I sold the boat before the third motor and went with a SS x-45 with the 6.0L. When the second 8.1 blew I pulled all the spark plugs and on one of the cylinders the piston I guess got loose and went all the way up to the top of the cylinder and completely smashed the bottom of the spark plug. The boat was in showrooom condition as far as the interior went. So it sounds like the boat your looking at could be sitting in the same place as my old boat.

MES
12-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks guys for the replies.

Here is what I have been told:

1. The engine was rebuilt because of overheating complications

2. The dealer is offering to replace engine block, but will will not replace gearbox, fuel injection systems, electricals, manifolds, etc

3. he is offering 3 yrs warranty

4. He is asking for 40 K for the boat as is (motor running, no warranty) or 47 K with new motor +warranty

bcampbe7
12-23-2010, 02:42 PM

2. The dealer is offering to replace engine block, but will will not replace gearbox, fuel injection systems, electricals, manifolds, etc

4. He is asking for 40 K for the boat as is (motor running, no warranty) or 47 K with new motor +warranty

Pass !!!!!!!!!

CantRepeat
12-23-2010, 02:45 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=3797&cat=6

07 X30, bigger boat, less money.

TallRedRider
12-23-2010, 02:46 PM

NOT a great deal. I would do this for 49K, and it is a 2009. May have a history too, but not like that 07 you are looking at.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=13689135&cat=&lpid=&search=mastercraft

ttu
12-23-2010, 02:48 PM
heck, do you want to buy mine:)

TallRedRider
12-23-2010, 02:51 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=3797&cat=6

07 X30, bigger boat, less money.

Hey! I almost bought that boat in December 08...unless there is another identical boat in Phoenix.

The8Ball
12-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Run, don't walk! ... also RESALE! ... even if you got this boat for $15,000... nobody else may ever want it. You could be stuck with it, forever.

east tx skier
12-23-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't know. If you can get it for $15K ... :)

sand2snow22
12-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Pass !!!!!!!!!

X 2 and 3 and 4........

venetrex
12-24-2010, 08:51 AM
At $30,000 it might be a good deal. Not to burst anyones bubble, but no 2007 X2 is worth $40,000 anymore. I agree with thrall. A reman block is only $2000. Overheating issues could be as simple as weeds in the water intake. The cooling system is quite simple in our boats. How is the interior, that is a larger cost than engine replacement, if you can do it yourself. There are definately better dealss out there.

Thrall
12-24-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm still cornfused. Boat runs fine now with a rebuilt engine that was rebuilt due to overheating issues? First, there's a whole list of things that would go wrong before the engine got shot from overheating. Pretty much impossible to eff up an iron block and iron heads GM 350 just by overheating. (you'd naturally shut the boat off when the exhaust started melting, waaaaaay before doing internal damage.)
Now it has a relatively new engine that runs. Why would one put a new long block in it? Still overheating? Probably not the engine block.
Part of the story is missing here still.

willyt
12-27-2010, 07:48 PM
agreed... something isnt right here... the MCX (what i assume was in there before) is bulletproof, and unless the previous owner was a total idiot (i imagine you'd have to be slow to let your engine overheat to the point of blowing) someone is lying to you.

CantRepeat
12-28-2010, 06:16 AM
Not to burst anyones bubble, but no 2007 X2 is worth $40,000 anymore.

Then there are a ton of people in the market place that could use your feedback. ;)