PDA

View Full Version : I hate cars......

captain planet
12-23-2010, 08:52 AM
A wise man spoke those words once and at the time I thought he was crazy. Not anymore. The Focus died on me last night and it didn't sound pretty. Something along the lines of either a timing belt skip/failure or a broken cam shaft, or a valve failure or something of this nature. Merry f'ing christmas. :( 2001 with 129K on it.......REALLY have enjoyed not having a car payment so I'm on the fence what the car surgeon is going to tell me when he opens it up. Really really really really DON'T want to have a car payment, but I can't see sinking more than 1200 in repairs.....IF it is even going to be that low. All of a sudden, that focus which I really didn't like all that much, has value to me. It was paid for and got 30 mpg. Grrrrrr.

Tricky, I'm going out today and buying that lottery ticket. :o

trickskier
12-23-2010, 09:28 AM
CP you have more car problems than anyone on TT. Do you do any PM on those antiques? Seriously - sorry to hear that FODE died on you. Good luck on the Lotto!!!

shepherd
12-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Does it have an Ohio State *uckeyes bumper sticker or license plate holder on it?

ntidsl
12-23-2010, 10:05 AM
had a 02 volvo tranny go 100% bad...costed me a fortune, never fixed it, traded it in, that car costed me $10,000 to drive for 3-4 years!!! i hate cars too!!!

ntidsl
12-23-2010, 10:33 AM
had a 02 volvo tranny go 100% bad...costed me a fortune, never fixed it, traded it in, that car costed me $10,000 to drive for 3-4 years!!! i hate cars too!!!

bcampbe7
12-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Sucks for sure CP. Hopefully it will be cheap enough to fix. Car payments suck worse than repair bills, IMHO. I just spent about $1500 in preventative maintenance on our Yukon. I did all the work myself. Belts, pulleys, plugs, wires, 4x4 switch, 4x4 encoder motor, etc. Tires was $1k of that, so I guess it was more like $500 on PM stuff. Could have said f-it and bought a "new to me" Yukon, but that payment would eat $500 quick and doesn't go away quickly. Repair bills sting for a short time (tearing off a bandaid), car payments hurt for a while (sitting on your nuts everytime you sit down). :D

ski_king
12-23-2010, 10:52 AM
I hope it isn't as bad as it sounded. If it was hopefully you can find a good beater to replace it.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Tough deal and bad timing Captain. For what its worth, my 95 F150 has 468,xxx miles on it. Rebuilt the engine at 200K because I was working as a sales rep for Jasper engines, and had the trans rebuilt about 250K. Been pretty trouble free for a long time. Spent the last bunch of years with a company ride so it has had an easy life for a while. Now that I am doing my own sales thing, I actually have to buy something newer. Been a while since I had a payment, so I know how you feel.

jkski
12-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Have I got a deal for you CP....I've got a 1992 Mazda MX3 V6, 5speed with only 228k miles on it. Yeah, the paint is pretty faded and she burns about 1qt. of oil every 2 weeks and needs some antifreeze added every 2 weeks and yeah she doesn't quite kick-out the heat on those cold mornings, but she does get 31mpg. So what if the passendger side seatbelt does not work, I don't plan on driving from that side or carrying passengers, as the shocks and struts really can't handle much more than me.
I would consider selling her to you for $2k and you can consider it a Christmas present!!!

captain planet
12-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Have I got a deal for you CP....I've got a 1992 Mazda MX3 V6, 5speed with only 228k miles on it. Yeah, the paint is pretty faded and she burns about 1qt. of oil every 2 weeks and needs some antifreeze added every 2 weeks and yeah she doesn't quite kick-out the heat on those cold mornings, but she does get 31mpg. So what if the passendger side seatbelt does not work, I don't plan on driving from that side or carrying passengers, as the shocks and struts really can't handle much more than me.
I would consider selling her to you for $2k and you can consider it a Christmas present!!!

2K? You mean you'll pay me 2K to take it from you? :D

The car search has begun until I hear from my mechanic, which may be as early as tomorrow.

Anyone have a Jetta TDI, Golf TDI, or Subaru Outback they want to sell?

captain planet
12-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Sucks for sure CP. Hopefully it will be cheap enough to fix. Car payments suck worse than repair bills, IMHO. I just spent about $1500 in preventative maintenance on our Yukon. I did all the work myself. Belts, pulleys, plugs, wires, 4x4 switch, 4x4 encoder motor, etc. Tires was $1k of that, so I guess it was more like $500 on PM stuff. Could have said f-it and bought a "new to me" Yukon, but that payment would eat $500 quick and doesn't go away quickly. Repair bills sting for a short time (tearing off a bandaid), car payments hurt for a while (sitting on your nuts everytime you sit down). :D

I have read this post twice now and I like it. Puts things into perspective. I will be sure to let my wife read this post. THanks.

Double D
12-23-2010, 11:37 AM

The car search has begun until I hear from my mechanic, which may be as early as tomorrow.

All those are great cars but you will be paying a higher repair bill if anything goes wrong.

My Mom has a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 that we just had to put an alternator on. Any indicators I should be watching for so I don't have your problem??

captain planet
12-23-2010, 12:15 PM
All those are great cars but you will be paying a higher repair bill if anything goes wrong.

My Mom has a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 that we just had to put an alternator on. Any indicators I should be watching for so I don't have your problem??

I don't know what the problem is yet, however if she hasn't replaced the timing belt and its over 100K, I'd be calling someone or doing it yourself. And while you are in there, put in a new serpentine belt and tensioner, and water pump. All of these things I just did to mine back in February. When the car died, the way it sounded, it is something valve/head related.....which = $$$$$$. :(

Skipper
12-23-2010, 12:34 PM
A wise man spoke those words once and at the time I thought he was crazy. Not anymore. The Focus died on me last night and it didn't sound pretty. Something along the lines of either a timing belt skip/failure or a broken cam shaft, or a valve failure or something of this nature. Merry f'ing christmas. :( 2001 with 129K on it.......REALLY have enjoyed not having a car payment so I'm on the fence what the car surgeon is going to tell me when he opens it up. Really really really really DON'T want to have a car payment, but I can't see sinking more than 1200 in repairs.....IF it is even going to be that low. All of a sudden, that focus which I really didn't like all that much, has value to me. It was paid for and got 30 mpg. Grrrrrr.

Tricky, I'm going out today and buying that lottery ticket. :o

I figured you owned a Prius?

captain planet
12-23-2010, 12:56 PM
I figured you owned a Prius?

I would like to own one. If the focus isn't worth repairing the Prius is 3rd on my wish list.

Rockman
12-23-2010, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=jkski;723116]Have I got a deal for you CP....So what if the passendger side seatbelt does not work, I don't plan on driving from that side...QUOTE]

LMAO:uglyhamme

JLeuck64
12-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Yup, them Focus's are known for bending valves and huting the pistons when the t-belt goes... will need another engine or its time to start over with another car I'm afraid. Sorry to hear that my friend...
(P.S. I am a big fan of Corollas)

captain planet
12-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Yup, them Focus's are known for bending valves and huting the pistons when the t-belt goes... will need another engine or its time to start over with another car I'm afraid. Sorry to hear that my friend...
(P.S. I am a big fan of Corollas)

Timing belt didn't break. The car would still actually stammer and still run....but sounded reeeeeeeeally bad. Either way....isn't good. :(

bcampbe7
12-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Timing belt didn't break. The car would still actually stammer and still run....but sounded reeeeeeeeally bad. Either way....isn't good. :(

Did you have your oil changed at one of those quick lube places and they forgot to refill the oil? Did any ID-10-T lights come one before or after breakage?

captain planet
12-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Did you have your oil changed at one of those quick lube places and they forgot to refill the oil? Did any ID-10-T lights come one before or after breakage?

Nope, I do all my own oil changes. Just did one about three weeks ago. The only light that came on was the check engine light. It happened when I came back out of the store and tried to start the car. This happened on start-up....made all the wonderful sounds, and then died.

Double D
12-23-2010, 04:05 PM

I hope your not promoting dealerships to change oil?? They make the same mistakes; no oil replaced, forgot the filter, didn't tighten the drain plug.....:confused:

Even the Acura dealership didn't tighten the drain plug on my wife's MDX and I had oil on my garage floor. :(

Want it done right, do it yourself...

André
12-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Sorry to read this CP!:(
Should be plenty of Focus engines at the scrapyard.Could it be an option?
If the rest of the car is still good,that could be a cheap solution for a while.
Good luck!

/Been car payment free for the last 15 years but i'm driving a service truck!

TX.X-30 fan
12-23-2010, 07:17 PM

Get a Volt CP really cool from what I have heard. :D

captain planet
12-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Get a Volt CP really cool from what I have heard. :D

Unfortunatly what I want and what I can afford are fighting with one another right now. :(

FWIW, the surgeon called this morning with an update. There is good news and bad news. The bad HIGHLY outweighs the good. First the good even though it is irrevelant. The valves are in perfect timing and the timing belt replacment job I did was NOT the cause of the failure. Oddly enough, that makes me feel better that my weekend monkey-wrenching abilities were not the cause of this.

The bad news, #1 piston wrist pin failed causing the piston to fail in the cylinder and also damaging the head/valves. My mechanic said that odds are that the pin was not right to begin with and long term failure was the cause. The car has always had a knock to it that I just assumed was normal but odds are it was piston slap from a loose wrist pin. "One too many cold morning startups" as he put it.

The really bad news, $970 in labor to replace the engine......plus the cost of an engine, used or otherwise. Kind of sucks considering the rest of the car is really in great condition, I mean the car really looks good and everything works. I was planning on keeping it for another 18 months or so. Depending on the cost of the engine will determine the course of action. I'll cross that road and make decisions based on that information. For now it is off to x-mas eve and forget about this for a while. :o

thatsmrmastercraft
12-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Tough deal CP. Can't imagine the car is worth much without a functioning engine. Best of luck in working your way out of this predicament.

Hammer
12-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Shoulda bought a V-8!

captain planet
12-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Cost of revival, approximately $3500. :o

Time of death, December 27, 1:00 p.m. Calling hours to be posted on Craigslist for organ donation.

Hammer
12-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Sad to here it. Now you can get a real car. ;)

Double D
12-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Cost of revival, approximately $3500. :o

Time of death, December 27, 1:00 p.m. Calling hours to be posted on Craigslist for organ donation.

Bummer!!! I could have used that alternator a few days ago. How are the mirrors?? :rolleyes:

jkski
12-27-2010, 03:35 PM
CP,
I would like to re-state my offer to consider selling to you my mintish condition 1992 Mazda MX3 GS. Did I mention before it comes complete with the scent of burning clutch plates and oil whenever you come to a stop, so as you can tell it is a very fast car as it can outrun smell!!!
Think about it, I have people lining up for this and I am only making the offer to you first.

east tx skier
12-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Might I recommend an Accord. Bought my current one (2000 SE) with 105,000 miles on it for a song. Had a new timing belt thrown in as part of the deal. Problems have been minimal and it won't be my last. I like Ford Trucks. My 2001 Expedition has been great and is still going strong. I have been less than impressed the Ford car I have owned. I don't bother with new cars. I buy used and take them to the grave. It seems to take a long time with the Hondas I have owned.

vision
12-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Might I recommend an Accord. Bought my current one (2000 SE) with 105,000 miles on it for a song. Had a new timing belt thrown in as part of the deal. Problems have been minimal and it won't be my last. I like Ford Trucks. My 2001 Expedition has been great and is still going strong. I have been less than impressed the Ford car I have owned. I don't bother with new cars. I buy used and take them to the grave. It seems to take a long time with the Hondas I have owned.

+1 for a used Honda. Should get 200K out of a Honda or Acura provided you do routine maintenance. Stay away from Hondas that were not made by Honda (I believe the original Odyssey and their original SUV were made by Isuzu).

captain planet
12-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Bummer!!! I could have used that alternator a few days ago. How are the mirrors?? :rolleyes:

EVERYTHING on the car works perfectly.....except the #1 cylinder.

captain planet
12-27-2010, 04:27 PM

5 years ago I would have never considered a foreign car and scorned those who purchased them, however being older and wiser (and ready to eat MAJOR crow) Subaru, VW, Toyota, and Honda are on my list.

Looking a 10K or less in price and over 30 mpg. I can't fathom a Corolla, they are ugly. If it is a Civic it has to be 06 or newer, the old ones are ugly. Found some early 2000's SUbaru Outbacks for under 10K. They get 27 mpg and are all wheel drive which I like. An Outback is my first choice....but given the circumstances I don't have much choice I have necessity. I'll look at some Accords and see what I can come up with. When I met my wife she had an Accura that was pretty rough. Had 180K+ on it. It died shortly after she sold it.

I did find a nice 07 Fusion w/ manual transmission for a good deal, 4 cyl. though. Manual transmission is a plus for me.

blakehardesty
12-27-2010, 04:44 PM
I got a 99 Camaro Z28 I would like to unload. My toy box is getting full. 50,000 miles and purrrrrrs like a kitten. Not 30 MPG but its not really that bad.

bdecker
12-27-2010, 04:45 PM
My wife would love for me to sell her 06 Jetta TDI... Getting tired of having three pedals. Gets 42-44 mpg running at 75-80 on the highway. It's got 110k with no issues.

Last week I was working on selling my car. Had it almost 7 years, 130k miles, no problems. Wouldn't you know less than 12 hours before I was supposed to meet someone for a deal I would have put at 80-90%, it develops a nasty vibration in the front(awd) axle. $1500 in parts later for two seperate issues, then first deal goes quite and I agreed to let her go to my mechanic for $1k less... Cars suck.

rjracin240
12-27-2010, 08:13 PM
5 years ago I would have never considered a foreign car and scorned those who purchased them, however being older and wiser (and ready to eat MAJOR crow) Subaru, VW, Toyota, and Honda are on my list.

Looking a 10K or less in price and over 30 mpg. I can't fathom a Corolla, they are ugly. If it is a Civic it has to be 06 or newer, the old ones are ugly. Found some early 2000's SUbaru Outbacks for under 10K. They get 27 mpg and are all wheel drive which I like. An Outback is my first choice....but given the circumstances I don't have much choice I have necessity. I'll look at some Accords and see what I can come up with. When I met my wife she had an Accura that was pretty rough. Had 180K+ on it. It died shortly after she sold it.

Those Outbacks have a lot oof potential and there is lots of parts swapping from otheer models that can be done.
Good luck (My 1993 civic bought for $400 has over 210,000 70, 000 I put on it in two years)

JimN
12-27-2010, 09:19 PM

"ID-10-T lights"? Have you ever worked for Honeywell?

BrianM
12-28-2010, 11:05 AM
I give two thumbs up on the Outback. Great cars. Can't beat the combination of mileage, utility and reliability. I am on my second one (had an '05 and bought a '10 last spring) and couldn't be happier. My Mom has a '97 that is still running strong and has only had routine maintenance.

captain planet
12-28-2010, 11:14 AM
I give two thumbs up on the Outback. Great cars. Can't beat the combination of mileage, utility and reliability. I am on my second one (had an '05 and bought a '10 last spring) and couldn't be happier. My Mom has a '97 that is still running strong and has only had routine maintenance.

I drove a 2003 last night that had 120K on it. First time I've driven an Outback. They drive nice. They were asking 10K for it. An Outback is still my first choice.

I have an inside line on several Toyota Yaris's. They are 2009 with mid 30k miles for around $8K. Anybody have one of these? Seems like too good of a deal to pass up, as long as it is the sedan and not the ugly hatchback.

captain planet
12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
My wife would love for me to sell her 06 Jetta TDI... Getting tired of having three pedals. Gets 42-44 mpg running at 75-80 on the highway. It's got 110k with no issues.

Last week I was working on selling my car. Had it almost 7 years, 130k miles, no problems. Wouldn't you know less than 12 hours before I was supposed to meet someone for a deal I would have put at 80-90%, it develops a nasty vibration in the front(awd) axle. $1500 in parts later for two seperate issues, then first deal goes quite and I agreed to let her go to my mechanic for $1k less... Cars suck.

I sent you a PM

Ski-me
12-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Brother in law (who is currently at our house for Christmas) has an Outback. Although it's been a great car, they have recently had to put some money into it. Coolant disappearing and noises up front. I'm not positive on the coolant stuff but I think the final answer was some leaking heads or something. It was not the radiator or water pump IIRC.

He did just replace both sides of the front CV driveshafts. It certainly did cost some cash so just be aware of these before purchasing. I'd definitely get the 4wd system checked out before purchasing. I think the driveshaft stuff was around $1500 or so. Don't know about the engine cost.....

I learned just enough from our conversation to be "dangerous" but not enough to tell you exactly what went bad. Just be aware, so you don't have to pay later on to fix it.

Oh, and junkyards are your friend!

I have been rebuilding my 89' K5 Blazer with 315,000 miles on it and SO MANY parts came from the junkyard. You'd be amazed whats out there!

I also second the NO car payment if at all possible.....

The8Ball
12-28-2010, 12:33 PM
I bought a 1985 Toyota MR2 from ebay 5, 6 years ago. Still have it. Bought it with around 180,000 miles... its goal: make it to the moon. It now has 240,000 miles - only 2,000 more to go. I paid $1500 cash for it. Two lawn chairs on a rocket.

About 3 years after I bought it... someone in a Ford Explorer backed into it - while I was in the car. Knocked out the left front headlight. That's it.

Well, wouldn't you know: the cost to fix that headlight exceeded the value of the car. The offending driver's insurance company wanted to total it.

No sir. I wrote a sternly worded letter that if they did not pay up for the damages... WITHOUT totaling the car... we would be going to small claims. Any reasonable person would clearly value this vehicle - near CLASSIC - for more than what they were claiming (hence there would be no need to total it - just give me the money for the repair).

Guess what? They caved! With the repair cost roughly equal to what I paid for it... it is now my 'free' ebay car! (I bought a replacement headlight on ebay for $50).

Still gets 30 mpg... Gas will be $5/gallon in 2 years... I may need it...

BrianM
12-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Brother in law (who is currently at our house for Christmas) has an Outback. Although it's been a great car, they have recently had to put some money into it. Coolant disappearing and noises up front. I'm not positive on the coolant stuff but I think the final answer was some leaking heads or something. It was not the radiator or water pump IIRC.

He did just replace both sides of the front CV driveshafts. It certainly did cost some cash so just be aware of these before purchasing. I'd definitely get the 4wd system checked out before purchasing. I think the driveshaft stuff was around $1500 or so. Don't know about the engine cost.....

Subarus have a few things to be mindful of. The 2.5 engine from 97-02 is known for some head gasket issues but a reasonable shop will do that fix for about $1500. If looking at those years look for possible issues and if it has over 120k ask owner if they have been replaced.

The only thing with drive CV shafts on Subarus is there is four of them. Comes with the territory of having AWD. That being said they are no more prone to problems than any other vehicles CV shafts and on high mileage vehicles become a maintenance item.

Even the newer Subarus are super simple to work on with just basic mechanical knowledge. So if you DIY any maintenance this is really nice.

Great site for Outback info is here www.subaruoutback.org (http://www.subaruoutback.org) The site gets lots of traffic and is a great resource.

captain planet
12-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Drove a Yaris..hated it.

Drove a 2005 Mazda 3 S hatchback manual tranny w/ 2.3L engine. Nice. Anyone have one of these that can speak for the mileage to expect. A buddy of mine works at the dealership and the "friend price" I was quoted was about what I wanted to pay for the car should I decide to get it. It is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN!

captain planet
01-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Well I pick up the Mazda 3s today at 4:00. My brother is going to be thrilled I bought a foreign car. I'll never hear the end of it.

JimN
01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Well I pick up the Mazda 3s today at 4:00. My brother is going to be thrilled I bought a foreign car. I'll never hear the end of it.

Was it made in the US? I thought Mazda had at least one plant here.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-04-2011, 11:58 AM

Aren't they still owned by Ford?

JimN
01-04-2011, 12:06 PM

AFAIK, Ford never actually "owned" Mazda, but they initially did a stock swap. Someone could probably offer more info but other than some models being made by Mazda for Ford, I don't think Ford makes them. I have heard that Ford's quality is better than it has been in a long time.

captain planet
01-04-2011, 12:11 PM

The Mazda 3 isn't made here. The 6, Tribute, and CX7 share platforms with Ford models.

ski_king
01-04-2011, 12:16 PM

Not sure if Mazda has a plant in USA, but they do have one in mexico.

I have a Mazda Tribute that was built by Ford in Kansas City and I also have a Ford ZX2 that was built by Mazda in mexico.

Wikededia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_3) tells me that the mazda 3 is built in Hufu, Japan.

By the way, nice car!

captain planet
01-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Also the new Mazda 2 shares its platform with the new Ford Fiesta.

captain planet
01-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Not sure if Mazda has a plant in USA, but they do have one in mexico.

I have a Mazda Tribute that was built by Ford in Kansas City and I also have a Ford ZX2 that was built by Mazda in mexico.

Wikededia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_3) tells me that the mazda 3 is built in Hufu, Japan.

By the way, nice car!

Thanks. It's manual transmission. I can't wait to start driving it. No more slushbox. :D

thatsmrmastercraft
01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks. It's manual transmission. I can't wait to start driving it. No more slushbox. :D

Should be a fun ride.

captain planet
01-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Should be a fun ride.

It is!!!!!!!!! 8p8p:banana::banana:

thatsmrmastercraft
01-05-2011, 12:25 PM
It is!!!!!!!!! 8p:banana:

So lets see the car for crying out loud!:popcorn:

captain planet
01-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Here it is....:D Pictures from the listing.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-05-2011, 03:18 PM

Nice looking car. How well will it pull the boat? :D

captain planet
01-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Nice looking car. How well will it pull the boat? :D

Not as well as my Suburban will.

corey
01-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Sweet car man, I had a 96' Mazda MX6 with a 4 banger and a 5 speed (same platform as Ford Probe) and it was awesome. I never had any issues with it, until the night a storm drain overflowed and the car was in 3' of water, with me in it! Aside from the flooding incident my only complaint about it was the lack of cupholders, this is America and I demand cupholders!

thatsmrmastercraft
01-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Not as well as my Suburban will.

I guess that explains why I didn't see the trailer hitch. :D

Ski-me
01-06-2011, 06:07 PM

That's cute...:D

Jk......I noticed one a few days ago and thought they looked pretty nice for a small car. Congrats on the new car. :cool: