PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy steering wheel on PS190. '97

flya750
12-23-2010, 02:18 AM
Hello All,

I have a '97 PS190... The steering wheel has a little play in it.. it moves up and down.. The play is not too bad.. but I would like to see if I can get this little annoyance remedied.

The splines on the steering wheel shaft onto seem to be warn. I haven't looked closely @ the steering mechanism as the boat is stored away.

But how can I go about fixing this? Would I need a new steering wheel shaft? And a new steering wheel?

Thanks for any input.

Sodar
12-23-2010, 04:09 AM
My '96 was the same way and my '07 is too. Don't know why, but the steering shaft has a little play inside the helm.

Bouyhead
12-23-2010, 06:58 AM
Ditto on my '96. When I did my steering cable quite a few years ago I took apart the helm and had my buddie spin down a brass bushing for the shaft. It helped quite a bit but i still have some play.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-23-2010, 09:44 AM
I put a new cable, helm and wheel in my '77 for a couple hundred buck and my steering is tight as can be. Worse case scenario isn't that bad. I would disconnect the cable at the rudder and start looking to isolate the play.

The8Ball
12-23-2010, 11:43 AM
I have a 98 PS 205. Same story. I replaced the helm. Don't try to fix it. Just replace it and be done with it. Teleflex - OEM. Skidim.com. Solid and no slop now... You can retro fit in a much better type of steering helm... but I just went with what was there original. Bolted right in, no problem.

flya750
12-24-2010, 10:59 AM
ahh..this looks like the part I need from skidim..
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6307685

I wonder if I should consider changing the steering cables. the boat has 780 hrs?

I like changing things before they are a problem.. Is it too soon to consider the steering cables are worn?

I have a 98 PS 205. Same story. I replaced the helm. Don't try to fix it. Just replace it and be done with it. Teleflex - OEM. Skidim.com. Solid and no slop now... You can retro fit in a much better type of steering helm... but I just went with what was there original. Bolted right in, no problem.

The8Ball
12-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Bingo. That's it.

I don't think there is any need to replace the cables (yet)... but you do want to grease the cables that are there. That's what I did. I'm with you - replace one thing at a time.

There is a grease fitting aft, near the gas tank (see in picture). There was white grease in the fitting. So I used marine-grade teflon grease... and then back up under the gas tank, there is another fitting for the rudder. I greased them both. Then turned the wheel full stop back and forth several times. It is solid and smooth now.