PDA

View Full Version : Shaken or stirred?

shepherd
12-22-2010, 10:33 PM
For a martini. Pick one and explain why.

And if you use fruit juice or anything other than gin or vodka, vermouth and/or an appropriate garnish, don't bother to respond. Those aren't real martinis.

ncsone
12-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Option 3 - I don't care as long as it is ice cold - cold enough to form a thin layer of ice on top. Just a drop of vermouth and olives. And, preferably Ketel One vodka.

I can't think of a better drink.

east tx skier
12-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Needs a Scotch option.

tex
12-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Shaken 75 times to get the correct temp....A mist of vermouth....olive in winter/lemon twist in the summer! Bombay Saphire Gin! Anything else?

shepherd
12-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Needs a Scotch option.

Right. But a good scotch isn't shaken OR stirred. You just pour and enjoy, maybe add an ice cube. :)

shepherd
12-22-2010, 11:16 PM
I like it gently shaken or stirred long enough to make it ice cold. I don't like getting a martini from the bar with a bunch of icebergs floating on the top. A good bartender wouldn't do that IMO.

tex
12-22-2010, 11:31 PM
I like it gently shaken or stirred long enough to make it ice cold. I don't like getting a martini from the bar with a bunch of icebergs floating on the top. A good bartender wouldn't do that IMO.

If you stir it that long to make it cold enough....the ice melts and gives you the same taste as a hard shaken martini.

The8Ball
12-23-2010, 12:17 AM
I like mine dirty. Real dirty.

Bouyhead
12-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Good stuff here! I keep my martini glasses in the freezer. The wife and I like them reeeeeal dirty too. It's almost like taking a swig right from the bay!

shepherd
12-23-2010, 08:09 AM
If you stir it that long to make it cold enough....the ice melts and gives you the same taste as a hard shaken martini.

Good point! I guess the answer (for me) would be a quick but gentle shake to minimize meltage and icebergs. Or maybe we should skip the ice and just keep the gin in the freezer and stir in a drop of vermouth after we pour?

Martini glasses in the freezer... I do that too. But I like mine clean. Real clean. So clean you can barely even see the liquid in the glass.

I like the Sapphire too Tex. I keep trying other flavors but always end up going back to the blue bottle. Cheers. :toast:

trickskier
12-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Needs a Scotch option.

Now you're talking!!! :toast:

east tx skier
12-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Right. But a good scotch isn't shaken OR stirred. You just pour and enjoy, maybe add an ice cube. :)

I have a dual Scotch personality. I'll do the ice cube in single malt (or a small dose of good filtered or distilled water). Make sure that ice cube is made with that good water. But I grew up tasting plain old blend with water, ice, and a lemon off my fingers. I developed a taste for it and will order it without shame when there's no decent beer on hand.

Let's all remember. Scotch is the only whiskey fermented from beer.

BIGBADBLUE
12-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Shaken, dirty with blue cheese olives .... mmmmmmmmm

2RLAKE
12-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Shaken, a little dirty and jalapeņo stuff olives ... In fact could go for one right now

etduc
12-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Shaken, a little dirty and jalapeņo stuff olives ... In fact could go for one right now

With a splash of Jalapeno juice. Somtimes with a lime twist also. Make mine with Tito's?

bobx1
12-23-2010, 12:16 PM
NEITHER....

A Jack Daniels consumer here but have made my wife a LOT of martini's over the years. The ture "purist" claim that James Bond is full of $hit when he orders it shaken as it waters down the drink.

My method (as a bartender for my wife) is to keep the Kettle One/"Stolis"/Belvedere (and occasional Tito's - must support the Texans) and glasses in the freezer. Pull it out, add the olive juice and then you have the perfect ice cold martini - no need to shake or stir.

shepherd
12-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I ordered a martini when I was at a bar in Italy a few years ago. The bartender stirred it gently, like he was making love to the ice cubes. I mentioned something about stirring martinis and he made a derisive comment about all the tourists thinking they're James Bond and ordering their martinis shaken. 8p

I can't really tell the difference, unless there are ice bits floating in the glass.

When we were in Spain earlier this year, none of the bartenders I met knew what a martini was. :confused: A couple guys tried to pour me a glass of Martini & Rossi.

M-Funf
12-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Fill a martini glass with ice, then water to chill. Let it sit for a bit.

Put ice in shaker, then Tanqueray. Pint glass on top. Shake to chill.

Empty ice water from glass and fill.

Lemon twist is my choice.

Usually, on Friday's, the bartender at the local puts a martini glass in the ice bin to chill before I even arrive...thinks it will get him a bigger tip...which it does. :cool:

tex
12-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Good point! I guess the answer (for me) would be a quick but gentle shake to minimize meltage and icebergs. Or maybe we should skip the ice and just keep the gin in the freezer and stir in a drop of vermouth after we pour?

Martini glasses in the freezer... I do that too. But I like mine clean. Real clean. So clean you can barely even see the liquid in the glass.

I like the Sapphire too Tex. I keep trying other flavors but always end up going back to the blue bottle. Cheers. :toast:

Glasses always stay in the freezer!

TX.X-30 fan
12-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Fill a martini glass with ice, then water to chill. Let it sit for a bit.

Put ice in shaker, then Tanqueray. Pint glass on top. Shake to chill.

Empty ice water from glass and fill.

Lemon twist is my choice.

Usually, on Friday's, the bartender at the local puts a martini glass in the ice bin to chill before I even arrive...thinks it will get him a bigger tip...which it does. :cool:

Sounds simple enough, never been a big martini guy but my wife likes them. :D

KnoxX2
12-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Shaken!!! Stirred is for pu$$!es