PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Ordered

BIGBADBLUE
12-22-2010, 09:58 AM
I finally ordered my new X14V yesterday. Here is a picture of the DAB. We went in with the idea of red boat but the wife wanted black. I would love thoughts on the scheme.

DooSPX
12-22-2010, 10:09 AM
NICE!! I bet that black on the vinyl will be quite hot in the summer time.
Love the fact you when with teak!
Congrads!

Sodar
12-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Sweet! I'd go carbon white, instead of the flint on the interior though!

Also, why the ugly BF windsheild?

Very Clean, Timeless Look!

BIGBADBLUE
12-22-2010, 10:19 AM
I ordered the wrap around but the DAB picture woud not change for me. Probably my lack of computer skills!!!

scott023
12-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Looks great BBB. Classic, clean look. I'd go with the white over flint as well for the interior.

captain planet
12-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Nice boat. Congrats on the teak! No chance of making it a DD/X-14?

Double D
12-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Nice boat. Congrats on the teak! No chance of making it a DD/X-14?

Yes, direct drive!! IMO :)

BIGBADBLUE
12-22-2010, 11:27 AM
We wanted a DD but decided to go Vdrive to at least be able to surf and wakeboard for the kids. Not a great surf/wakeboard wake but better than the DD. So this is the comprimise we made.

I will miss the '94 205

vision
12-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Good looking boat! They say the new vinyl does not get hot. Love the teak. It is so much more functional than fiberglass.

BIGBADBLUE
12-22-2010, 11:32 AM
We are up in the ai about flint vs white ... we go to the factory the first week of January and will decide at that time. We are also undecided about 5.7 Ilmore vs 6.0 Ilmore. Dealer is pushing us towards 5.7 as he says the 6.0 is a real gas hog. hmmmmmm ... too many decisions.

The boat will be built in March

bturner2
12-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Black is cool looking but will definitely be smoke'n hot in the summer sun. Will also be a choir to keep looking good.

That being said it will be a striking boat to look at. Black always looks great as long as it's kept up. Love the X14. Congrats on the purchase!

André
12-22-2010, 11:46 AM
We are also undecided about 5.7 Ilmore vs 6.0 Ilmore. Dealer is pushing us towards 5.7 as he says the 6.0 is a real gas hog.

Did he said the Ilmor 6.0 being more thirsty then an Indmar 6.0 ?
Just curious...

broncotw
12-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Very Sharp! Congrats!

Barefooter92
12-22-2010, 12:01 PM
I have black accents on the interior as well and thought it would be hot and we do not even notice. I would stick with the flint over white due to sun tan oils. The flint will hide the oils better in the long run. :twocents:

Did you not know there is a resession out there? Congrats on the major purchase. Let us know how you like it over your timeless 205!

Ski-me
12-22-2010, 12:04 PM
We are up in the ai about flint vs white ... we go to the factory the first week of January and will decide at that time. We are also undecided about 5.7 Ilmore vs 6.0 Ilmore. Dealer is pushing us towards 5.7 as he says the 6.0 is a real gas hog. hmmmmmm ... too many decisions.

The boat will be built in March

I'd say the 6.0L.....there can't be that much of a difference to really tell in gas consumption. :rolleyes:

cdstukey
12-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Looks nice, I would agree with the others on going with a lighter interior. DD would be nice, but if you have small kids you will love the Vdrive layout. Either way you can't go wrong.

shepherd
12-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Go for the maize and blue interior. ;)

Great boat. Congrats!

thatsmrmastercraft
12-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Love the looks of the teak platform. very nice looking boat. Congrats.

vision
12-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I'd say the 6.0L.....there can't be that much of a difference to really tell in gas consumption. :rolleyes:

I hate to say that based on the reported GPH for the 6.0L versus the 5.7L, the 6.0L uses almost twice as much gas. I was leaning towards the 6.0L for my new boat, but will probably go with the 5.7L Ilmore.

Still waiting for the FI 5.3 V8 as an option....

mramerman@gmail.com
12-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the x14v club!

My wife and I bought a 2010 this past July. It is a black hull wi red whir accents. Fortunately maintenance on black glass is different than a car. Simply drying with a towel after pulling the boat keeps it mirror shine.

Let me know if we can answer any questions.

Best!

mramerman@gmail.com
12-22-2010, 02:46 PM
P.S. We went with the 5.7 MCX. I traded my 97 PS190 with LT1/Powerslot. It was a big change for us; however, most of the adjustment has been getting used to the feel of a heavier boat vs. torque. I am the skier in the family... 5.7 has more than enough power to pull me out of the hole. We also wakeboard and surf (however, need a fair amount of additional ballast to pull this off). 5.7 works well for all these activity.

I was concerned about efficiency. LT1 to MCX was definitely a change; however we are settling out at around 6 ga/hour with a mix of cruising, and all three sports throughout the day. I understand the 6.0 gives you much better top end--- 5.7 we hit around 45 (ish)... but, from the folks I have spoke to, a huge decrease in efficiency.

Our unsolicited $0.02

BIGBADBLUE
12-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Go for the maize and blue interior. ;)

Great boat. Congrats!

I tried, I tried

Dealer had a blue and yellow and it looked sharp but wife said it was too UM. arrrgggg

BIGBADBLUE
12-22-2010, 03:20 PM
P.S. We went with the 5.7 MCX. I traded my 97 PS190 with LT1/Powerslot. It was a big change for us; however, most of the adjustment has been getting used to the feel of a heavier boat vs. torque. I am the skier in the family... 5.7 has more than enough power to pull me out of the hole. We also wakeboard and surf (however, need a fair amount of additional ballast to pull this off). 5.7 works well for all these activity.

I was concerned about efficiency. LT1 to MCX was definitely a change; however we are settling out at around 6 ga/hour with a mix of cruising, and all three sports throughout the day. I understand the 6.0 gives you much better top end--- 5.7 we hit around 45 (ish)... but, from the folks I have spoke to, a huge decrease in efficiency.

Our unsolicited $0.02

The MC rep said the 6.0 Ilmore was a hog as well. I think we will stick with the 5.7 but going to drive both.

How do you weight the boat for surfing?

drylandfish
12-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Was there no blender option? Guess you'll have to go back to the houseboat to make those tasty painkillers. Congrats on ordering the new boat!

captain planet
12-22-2010, 03:53 PM
I tried, I tried

Dealer had a blue and yellow and it looked sharp but wife said it was too UM. arrrgggg

Sounds like a good woman! ;)

trickskier
12-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Great looking boat BBB - Congratulations!!!

mramerman@gmail.com
12-22-2010, 04:18 PM
The MC rep said the 6.0 Ilmore was a hog as well. I think we will stick with the 5.7 but going to drive both.

How do you weight the boat for surfing?

I haven't found perfection here yet. I have a 4'8" CWB surfboard which I think is too short. I am going to trade it for a 5' + Inland surfboard this spring.

From a ballast perspective, the best I have found is Port ballast full. One Fatsac in the port stern locker and another Fatsac in the ski locker. You need the water up to the rub-rail to make a reasonable wake.

Next season I am going to buy the external ballast that fits in the stern locker. I am hoping with a 5' board I will have better luck.

romli
12-22-2010, 06:10 PM
...based on the reported GPH for the 6.0L versus the 5.7L, the 6.0L uses almost twice as much gas.

Where did you find GPH data for each engine? I seriously doubt that an engine +5.3% in displacement consumes +200% fuel.

ddanenberger
12-22-2010, 06:50 PM
has anyone seen the Ilmore test data. I'm also curious about the fuel usage. I was under the opion Ilmore 6.0l was better than the previous inmar in the 6l configuation.

vision
12-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Where did you find GPH data for each engine? I seriously doubt that an engine +5.3% in displacement consumes +200% fuel.

I am going by the reports on TeamTalk by members with 6.0 engines. No published data.

There are a few threads that talk about fuel efficiency and the most consistent answer is 10 - 12 GPH for the 6.0L. This is mostly in weighted X stars and larger boats. This is similar to what my dealer said to expect with the 6.0L. Without me even asking, I had three dealers say that the 6.0L is a great engine, but burns significant fuel.

I have tracked GPH closely in my 05 X2 and 08 X-star, both with an MCX. The X2 used 5.1 GPH weighted, and the X-star averaged 5.7 to 6 GPH with moderate weight (2000 to 2500 lbs).

For an engine with about 20% more HP, the 6.0L seems to use significantly greater than 20% more fuel based on these numbers.

A chart of real world data in comparable boats (hull, ballast, props) would certainly be beneficial in selecting an engine for a new boat.

ddanenberger
12-22-2010, 08:00 PM
i agree testing results would be great. I just ordered a new X-25 with the 6.0l ilmore. the fuel consumption comments ealier is a concern.

Eagle Lake Rebel
12-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Went from an MCX to a LY6 when I went from a '06 X30 to a '07 X30.... fuel burn didn't change that much. If I was doing it all over today I'd go with the LY6 in a heartbeat.

BIGBADBLUE
12-23-2010, 01:44 PM
I am having 2nd thoughts on getting a heater. I did not order it ut thinking of calling dealer back and ordering it. I am spening a lot of money and I am going to skimp on a heater? I gotta make that change.

ttu
12-23-2010, 01:47 PM
that is going to be a great looking boat.

but do go ahead and add the heater.

scott023
12-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Heater is a must BBB... more than worth the cost IMO.

The Podge
12-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Heater can also be added after the fact. I had one added to my X-15 and it was well worth it! we use it much more than we thought we would. I don't know which way would be more cost effective (factory vs aftermarket)

TN X-45
12-25-2010, 06:30 PM
We use it all the time. Plus a cool "wow" feature for non-MC'ers. The ladies/kids love it and the vent below the helm will roast you out.....

vision
12-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Definitely a must on the heater. Heater is a huge plus for observers, a shower is a huge plus for riders in cold weather. Nothing beats running hot water down your wet suit before and after a set.

TXMC-06X2
12-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Congratulations!! Thats a good looking boat. I would definitly go with the heater and shower as well. Cant wait to see pics of the finished product.

KnoxX2
12-29-2010, 09:50 AM
I am having 2nd thoughts on getting a heater. I did not order it ut thinking of calling dealer back and ordering it. I am spening a lot of money and I am going to skimp on a heater? I gotta make that change.

Go with both heaters (seat and blower)!!!!!

Congrats on the new boat!!! I will be up your way in April this year. Think I will need some of those painkillers.:cool::)

BIGBADBLUE
12-29-2010, 09:51 AM
let me know when you get in town and we will kill some pain!!!

KnoxX2
12-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Sounds good to me. Are you still at the same dock?

BIGBADBLUE
12-31-2010, 09:19 PM
sorry for the slow response ... went to MI

yes we are still at J3

Sullivan
03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Any updates on the boat delivery and option selected. How was your trip to the factory.

flya750
03-14-2011, 09:40 PM
This is so true.. just a little vinegar and water on the wipe down after you get her out of the water and the black will always look awesome.

Being a Wolverine fan myself.. I still would NEVER have a boat in maze and blue. YUCK!!

I don't see any color accents in your scheme? Am I missing something???

Congratulations and welcome to the x14v club!

My wife and I bought a 2010 this past July. It is a black hull wi red whir accents. Fortunately maintenance on black glass is different than a car. Simply drying with a towel after pulling the boat keeps it mirror shine.

Let me know if we can answer any questions.

Best!

willyt
03-14-2011, 10:00 PM
I'd never have anything in maze and blue...

Scarlet and grey all the way!! Go bucks.

Before this becomes an Ohio st vs the territory up north...

I agree with the no crazy colors... There was a 2011 Malibu 247 at the Cincy boat show someone had ordered in grey metalflake, yellow and purple (local HS colors). Ugliest thing I have ever seen, would sink it before I ever drove it.

That being said.... Viper red with grey metalflake sure looks good...

jason95gt
03-15-2011, 12:04 PM
The BTS windshield might not look the best, but it sure is useful and makes having a boom so much easier. Great looking boat otherwise. Very similar to a customer of ours that built one.

Willski
03-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Nice....I also thought the dark on the interior would be really hot, but it seems we almost always have towels on our seats, since we lather up with the sunscreen!

BIGBADBLUE
03-15-2011, 12:16 PM
The boat is scheduled to ship today and will arrive at my dealer late this week. I will take some picture when I take delivery after Spring break

Cmpdman
03-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Great looking boat!!!

Thrall
03-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Good choice with the flint ? colored vinyl. My seats are white and I'm not sure which is more of a pain in the @ss to keep clean...the vinyl or the black gel.
Definately get a heater and shower. Makes early and late season riding much more enjoyable.
I'd opt to get the boat with out the heater and shower though and install them myself or at least have some say so in the mounting and vent locations. IMO, MC throws the heater vents in the most convienent place to plumb the hose to vs. putting some thought into the layout. (I don't like cutting multiple holes in the tub if there's a better way to do it.)
On my X2, I hid the drivers vent up under the dash rather than cut a hole in the drivers kick panel. Installed 2 hot tubes in line with the rear cup holder rows, again no fiberglass cutting except for some minimal clearance issues with hidden non/strucutral 'glass, rather than the MC installations that poke a couple holes in the tub for the vents. Kept all the vent hoses out of useable storage space this way as well.
Check out the rear vent location below.

aquaman
03-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Nice looking boat and the teak is a plus. I vote for the Flint interior w/a heater.

G-Star
03-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Check out the rear vent location below.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=65078&stc=1&d=1300206654

Nice install!
Have you had anybody drop a beer down your heater vent yet? ;)

j4rowell
03-15-2011, 02:14 PM
That vent might be a convient location, but you're pretty much limited to that seat now. To stretch it across that seat to another might be annoying. Clever idea if it works for you.

Thrall
03-15-2011, 02:22 PM
That vent might be a convient location, but you're pretty much limited to that seat now. To stretch it across that seat to another might be annoying. Clever idea if it works for you.

Well there's one on each side and either of them will reach to anyone sitting in that half of the boat from the observers seat to the back seat and drivers seat to back seat on teh starboard side. Only occupants they won't reach are those in the bow.

Thrall
03-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Nice install!
Have you had anybody drop a beer down your heater vent yet? ;)

Thanks!
Nope, they have the little grille/cover thingys on them. But I did dump most of a Jack and Coke down one. Kinda nice it didn't leak onto the carpet. Just had to take the hose off and dump out the drink the next day!

André
03-15-2011, 06:50 PM
The boat is scheduled to ship today and will arrive at my dealer late this week. I will take some picture when I take delivery after Spring break

Today would have been a good day for delivery...:)
Happy birthday!!!

BIGBADBLUE
03-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks! Traveling on my Birthday ... The joys of field service