PDA

View Full Version : Our new Prostar and it's trip from Arizona to Quebec

mart_it
12-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi TT members. I've been lurking on this forum for who knows how long now but until this week I wasn't an owner of a MC.
Well, that was before, this is now. We (brother in law and I) just got back from Detroit this week after driving for 14hrs in all kinds of weather, most of it on the return drive home :(.

I've been contemplating buying a Prostar for the last 2-3 years now but finding one in the Montreal region of Quebec is a challenge in itself. These boats are very hard to find here, once in a while they will pop up for sale but they are either high hour boats or just not well maintained and high priced!

1 month ago my brother in law flew to Arizona to see one which we thought would fit well our needs, it had popped up in a craiglist ad the day before and we had been waiting a long time for one like this. Basically, we were looking for a very well maintained, average hour, well equipped boat with documented history and it had to fit our budget.

This one we had to jump on quick and we did. After sending me multiple pictures by email back home, we agreed to make an offer while he was there and the owner accepted. We got it inspected at Mastercraft of Az and everything checked out perfect, so we decided to get it winterized while the boat was there. Now we had to get it back home 2600miles away!

Luckily the owner had to drive to Detroit beginning of December so he agreed to drive it down which we are very thankful for. We drove up this weekend and we got back home 24 hrs later. We bought a cottage this year which is lakeside so this will be perfect for us.

I just can't wait for next season, I haven't skied for at least 10 years, so this summer I'll be getting back into slalom and some wakeboard, I haven't barefoot before but I'm anxious to try it out. I'm 27 and I have a 1 yr old son so this will be perfect for the family. If only winter could go by fast!

Now for the pictures:
It's a 1991 Prostar 190
Came with: (bimini top, sunbrella cover, barefoot boom, heater, new cd player with stereo and every receipt)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Mart_it/DSC_0288.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Mart_it/DSC_0289.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Mart_it/DSC_0277.jpg

flipper
12-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Sweet boat. Looks like they really took care of it

thatsmrmastercraft
12-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice. That is one clean boat.

ttu
12-21-2010, 04:41 PM
great looking prostar! enjoy:toast:

corey
12-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Pretty much the best 1st post ever! Congrats on the new boat!

DooSPX
12-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Congratulations! Looks very nice! I'm sure you will love it. Have any other pictures? How much did end up paying for her if you do not mind?

Ski-me
12-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Being in that condition I wouldn't be surprised if it was originally owned by someone on TeamTalk......:cool:

Great find!

Double D
12-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Nice boat, congrats and welcome to Teamtalk.

André
12-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Félicitations!:)
Nice looking boat!How many hrs on it?
Where is your cottage!
I hope your experience buying a boat with yout B.I.L. turns out better then mine!:rolleyes:

broncotw
12-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Very clean and taken care of! Congratulations......

flya750
12-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Holy Sheet!

Did anyone use that boat?...ever.?....How many hours are on it?

Jerseydave
12-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Very nice find, love the colors! I had a '94 Prostar 190 and LOVED IT! If you slalom, that is one sweet wake!
We barefooted behind ours.......something you will need to learn since you have a boom now too! (no excuses)

CONGRATS!

D3skier
12-21-2010, 07:03 PM
beautiful boat very nice find hope you enjoy it and welcome to the MC group!

Covi
12-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Clean!!!!!!!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
12-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Looks like ETS or Cameron could have owned that pristine boat........ Nice.

jdl xstar
12-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Basically looking at a 20 y/o boat that appears to be in like-new condition. Pretty amazing. Nice job by the previous owner keeping it in top condition.

lettmeknow
12-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Nice boat love those years..

I just saw this one posted on ski-it-again. looks like a nice find and price for someone looking.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=14187

east tx skier
12-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Love the red early 90s pro stars! Great looking boat! Congrats!

DemolitionMan
12-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Welcome. Nice Boat.

JLeuck64
12-21-2010, 11:24 PM
HOLY CRAP!

You got the owner to tow it to DETROIT for you???

OMG! That was a score, good job!

CantRepeat
12-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Welcome!

Excellent story and sweet boat!

mart_it
12-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the great comments, the boat was indeed very well maintained!

For those asking how many hours. 700hrs

Although I know some boats these years sell with less hours and sometimes go for less, I'd rather buy from someone I know I can trust. Buying a boat this old from someone who keeps receipts in the original Mastercraft binder tells a lot on the condition this boat is in.

I'm new to these boats, but being mechanically inclined , I will be the one maintaining it. I've noticed minor details, the blower hose appears to be broken because of drying up. Not sure how quick a fix this is, and the flame arrestor needs a good clean.

We also can't wait to install the new WAKEBOARD TOWER!

Joke!
It will stay original. I like the sleekness of these boats without the towers, but I do understand it's more function than form.
Instead of a tower I'm thinking a higher pole is an essential when more ppl are in the boat, am I right?

mart_it
12-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Félicitations!:)
Nice looking boat!How many hrs on it?
Where is your cottage!
I hope your experience buying a boat with yout B.I.L. turns out better then mine!:rolleyes:

Allo André, merci!

The cottage is located in the Tremblant region. I've noticed you live less than 45mins from where I am! That's quite a coincidence! There goes the rareness of my boat!:)

My BIL and I get along well, too bad your experience didn't go so well.

mart_it
12-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Some other pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Mart_it/DSC_0276.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Mart_it/DSC_0286.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Mart_it/DSC_0282.jpg

wheelerd
12-22-2010, 03:23 AM
You hit the jackpot there! Nicely done.
I know what you mean about finding good boats up here at a good price -- both of mine came from the U.S. (Of course it helps that the dollar is almost at par.)
You and your family will have some great times and create some good memories for your kids.
Interesting that your trailer fenders are fiberglass. My 91 had metal fenders.

TX.X-30 fan
12-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Says team MC on the fender, a tt member at some point.

03geetee
12-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Great looking prostar congradulations!

JTR

medicmoose
12-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Wow...nice find! It hardly looks like it should have 7 hours on it!

DooSPX
12-22-2010, 09:35 AM
About the Fly High or Extended pylons, good choice, as you can take it down easily. If you are planning on doing anything other than wake boarding or footing ?maybe?, the extended pylons are not made for the sideways pull of a slalom skier.

Thanks for the other pictures... Great looking boat.

JohnE
12-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Congrats on the boat. Looks pristine. Worth the wait and the travel. Make sure to post some pics of your inaugural launch when the ice is out next July.

Double D
12-22-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm new to these boats, but being mechanically inclined , I will be the one maintaining it. I've noticed minor details, the blower hose appears to be broken because of drying up. Not sure how quick a fix this is, and the flame arrestor needs a good clean.

The hose is a pretty quick fix. Mine was dry rotted as well. Bought some new hose while I was at the boat shop and then ripped out the new and put in the old. Its a bit harder if you have to replace what is around the gas tank, but the tank is pretty easy to unscrew and slide out of the way.

2RLAKE
12-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Nice boat ... Great Christmas present from Santa

wheelerd
12-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Congrats on the boat. Looks pristine. Worth the wait and the travel. Make sure to post some pics of your inaugural launch when the ice is out next July.

C'mon JohnE, go easy on us Canucks. We ski AROUND the ice floes on the lakes while we watch the polar bears frolic on the banks and the Eskimo children play beside their igloos. This, of course, is after having snowshoed from our vehicles to the beach.

A bit of trivia -- the southern most point in Canada is on the same latitude as the California/Oregon border.

Table Rocker
12-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Great looking boat!

I am a bit confused, is it an Arizona boat or a Michigan boat? The registration number on the side "MC 2833 PE" indicates it was currently registered in Michigan doesn't it?

titleist93mc
12-22-2010, 12:34 PM
I tackled the dry rotted blower hose this winter. I replaced it all the way back to the vent behind the gas tank. I did have to loosen the fill tube and remove the return line. I also took out the sending unit and did some light sanding on the float. Finished this whole project and buttoned everything up in probably half-day's time. Was nice to learn my new boat. I think it could have been done without sliding the gas tank out - but getting the piece that holds the hose up to the vent off might have been difficult. Nice looking boat, looks very similar to mine - although I believe yours is in better shape.

JD

André
12-22-2010, 12:39 PM
C'mon JohnE, go easy on us Canucks. We ski AROUND the ice floes on the lakes while we watch the polar bears frolic on the banks and the Eskimo children play beside their igloos. This, of course, is after having snowshoed from our vehicles to the beach.

A bit of trivia -- the southern most point in Canada is on the same latitude as the California/Oregon border.

You forgot about the beavers skin drysuit...:)
Skied in late April the last 2 years!:cool:

mart_it
12-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Great looking boat!

I am a bit confused, is it an Arizona boat or a Michigan boat? The registration number on the side "MC 2833 PE" indicates it was currently registered in Michigan doesn't it?

The seller has a house in both Az and MI.
The boat is from MI.

July?! haha, not exactly. I will take pics in late April though!

mart_it
12-22-2010, 02:45 PM
About the Fly High or Extended pylons, good choice, as you can take it down easily. If you are planning on doing anything other than wake boarding or footing ?maybe?, the extended pylons are not made for the sideways pull of a slalom skier.

Thanks for the other pictures... Great looking boat.

Do any extended poles fit or do I have to get a specific one?

DooSPX
12-22-2010, 03:23 PM
something like these Fly High pylons.
http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Extended_Pylons/Barefoot_International_Fly_High_Extended_Pylon_wit h_Delron_Ski_Tow/index.asp

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Extended_Pylons/XPole_Extended_Pylon/index.asp

shepherd
12-22-2010, 04:37 PM
We also can't wait to install the new WAKEBOARD TOWER!

Joke!

Wheww! That tightness in my chest is gone now. Thanks! :D

shepherd
12-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Badassssssss!

Table Rocker
12-22-2010, 07:40 PM
The seller has a house in both Az and MI.
The boat is from MI.
That would explain it, thanks.

wheelerd
12-22-2010, 10:15 PM
You forgot about the beavers skin drysuit...:)
Skied in late April the last 2 years!:cool:

Many moons ago when I was going to university in Saskatoon my buddy and I got our pictures in the paper -- mid-April we were skiing on the river even though there was still some ice along the banks. We had full-coverage wetsuits but drysuits would have been nicer. Air temp was around 18o but the water, well ... suffice it to say my vital parts were shriveled for a week after!

DemolitionMan
12-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Many moons ago when I was going to university in Saskatoon my buddy and I got our pictures in the paper -- mid-April we were skiing on the river even though there was still some ice along the banks. We had full-coverage wetsuits but drysuits would have been nicer. Air temp was around 18o but the water, well ... suffice it to say my vital parts were shriveled for a week after!

Thats Funny.:)

André
12-23-2010, 08:41 AM

...but still functionnals?;)
Got myself a real drysuit this year,O'Neill Assault.
What a difference from a regular wet suit when the water is freezing!

mayo93prostar
12-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Mart it, very nice find. You and your BIL should get a lot of good use and enjoyment out of this boat. It looks very well maintained. I too was wondering about the registration numbers. Now we just need global warming to kick in again...

mart_it
01-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Worked on the boat a little during the weekend, replaced the blower hose with 20' of sewer hose from Walmart.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Mart_it/DSC_0148.jpg

For those wondering, you can change the hose without taking the tank out and it's still relatively easy to do.

I also took the old registration numbers off. I used a heat gun and alcohol to remove glue residue.
Now I'm really anal, and when it comes to details I especially don't like cutting corners, but the old numbers still show under a neon light from the part which has faded, what can I do?
I'm thinking polishing only the portion that had the numbers, someone said I should stick the new ones over the old ones, I don't want to polish around the whole boat just because of that small portion. What would some of you do?

wheelerd
01-05-2011, 01:52 AM
I'm thinking polishing only the portion that had the numbers, someone said I should stick the new ones over the old ones, I don't want to polish around the whole boat just because of that small portion. What would some of you do?

Why wouldn't you want to polish the whole boat? When the number decals are off would be a prime opportunity I would think.

mart_it
01-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Why wouldn't you want to polish the whole boat? When the number decals are off would be a prime opportunity I would think.

I don't want to buy new Mastercraft side and transom decals

wheelerd
01-05-2011, 03:05 AM
What are you doing up at this hour? Must be 3:00 am in la belle province!

Anyway, I didn't mean you should take off all the decals. I was just referring to the overall polishing that most of us do once or twice a year (yes, working carefully around the main decals) and which would be easier without the reg numbers.

DooSPX
01-05-2011, 09:45 AM
I use painters tape and edge off the decals when I polish... it works great

bturner2
01-05-2011, 09:52 AM
If you really want it to come out right it's going to take considerable effort and time. What I've done in the past to restore the finish of an older boat is to wet sand, polish and wax. It's not fun, takes a lot of effort but the results are (if you're truly anal) worth the effort. I've restored 3 older boats this way and it's worked on all 3. you can try to get away with "feathering" the area but depending on how much the hull has faded that area may end up being pretty large. Past this method you're going to end up putting the new letters over the old ones and hoping for the best.

mart_it
01-05-2011, 01:17 PM
I use painters tape and edge off the decals when I polish... it works great

This is what i'll end up doing! Thanks DooSPX!
The boat really doesn't need a wet sand and polish, it's been polished last year from the previous owner. I ended up waxing it twice over the weekend so the shine is there!

Now i'll have to start shopping for a PC7424. Anyone know where's the best place to buy one? What pads and grit should I buy?

Thanks guys!

willowtreexx
01-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Nice boat love those years..

I just saw this one posted on ski-it-again. looks like a nice find and price for someone looking.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=14187

now i want it... in my price range too

BTW: i cant get over how clean your boat is man! and for him to drive it up to Detroit? WHOAH:eek: great deal

mart_it
01-05-2011, 04:05 PM
now i want it... in my price range too

BTW: i cant get over how clean your boat is man! and for him to drive it up to Detroit? WHOAH:eek: great deal

Thanks man...
That is quite some deal if it's in good shape, you should jump on this!

mart_it
03-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Thought i'd revive this thread, been working on the PS for the past 2-3 months now on and off.
I have a list of stuff I needed to do which included regular preventative maintenance but being a neat freak as I am I went off track a little and decided to do more than it actually needed.
Now I know some of you are very anal on getting their boat's back to it's original condition using exact color codes and so on, but I really do not mind this one since it's under the hood...I think it looks sharp.

Tell me what you guy's think!
Powdercoated valve covers, new valve cover studs, SS nuts, SS washers, new gasket's and will have manifold's redone to new.
PICS:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Mart_it/DSC_0443.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Mart_it/DSC_0439.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Mart_it/DSC_0517.jpg

Jeff Lyman
03-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Nice job, if you want the alluminum to show on the valve cover fins simply take a sanding block with a fine grit paper to the top surfaces, then some polish. It would look more origonal if that is YOUR intention. Notice in an older picture of the bildge area had a brownish color to it. Check it for oil leaks that could be the cause.

Clean boat you will love it.

broncotw
03-07-2011, 03:59 PM
I like the value covers! Looks Sharp!!!