PDA

View Full Version : How much longer will GM make the 5.7 block?

vision
12-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Not a concern, just a curiosity. I believe it has been over 10 years since GM used this block in an automobile. Besides the marine industry, is this block still used? Obviously they will make it until it is no longer profitable. But when it comes time for major repairs to the line/plant dedicated to its production, I am not sure there is enough profit in the marine market to justify continued production of this block.

gchapman-tt
12-21-2010, 09:46 AM
The 5.7 is also in the line-up of GM Industrial Engines. At least a larger combined market.

1redTA
12-21-2010, 09:48 AM
I know you can still get GM crate motors with the venerable 350

The8Ball
12-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Wikipedia says GM stop making the 350/5.7L in 2005. But that some are still made for marine use? Seems odd to me. Either GM is making the engine or not making the engine. No one else can. Take with grain of salt...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_small-block_engine

The L31 replaced the L05 in 1996 – known as the Vortec 5700. The Vortec 5700 produces 255 hp (191 kW) to 350 hp (261 kW) at 4600 rpm and 330 ft-lbf (448 Nm) to 350 ft-lbf (475 Nm) of torque at 2800 rpm. Known as the GEN 1+, this was the final incarnation of the 1955-vintage small block, ending production in 2005 with the last vehicle being a Kodiak/Topkick HD truck. Volvo Penta and Mercury Marine still produces the L31. The "MARINE" intake is a potential upgrade for L31 trucks. Using this "MARINE" intake will allow the use of common types of injectors with various flow rates while still maintaining emission compliance.

DooSPX
12-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Because its from Wikipedia does not mean its the truth. I have found a lot of miss information over the years on Wikipedia.
GM still makes the iron 5.7L for marine, industrial and automotive (crate engines)
I would not count on it going out of production anytime soon.

TallRedRider
12-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Because its from Wikipedia does not mean its the truth. I have found a lot of miss information over the years on Wikipedia.
GM still makes the iron 5.7L for marine, industrial and automotive (crate engines)
I would not count on it going out of production anytime soon.

On my last boat, the 5.7L 'GM' block had a nice stamp on it 'Hecho en Mexico'. I suspect that is where they will come from forever, and I do wonder if they still use that block stock on some new vehicles in other countries.

vision
12-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Further looking at the available GM engines for marine use, the newer 6.2L GM truck engine is listed to have better fuel efficiency than the 6.0L in the same truck from a few years back. Anyone know if the 6.2 is a more efficient motor or is it just the newer 6 speed transmission or other drive train improvements that give the 6.2L trucks better fuel efficiency? I know many folks complained about poor gas mileage with the 6.0L in their trucks.

From a few posts on here, the Indmar 6.0 is a good engine but a fuel hog. Just curious if the newer 6.2L engine may have an inherently more fuel efficient design?

Timbo126
12-21-2010, 07:40 PM
I have a 2003 tahoe and I assumed since it was a 5... something liter vortec motor that it was the same 5.7L 310 vortec motor in my boat. But after looking in to the offered motors for the tahoe I found it out to actually be a 5.3L vortec motor which I didn't even know they made. Then I think they offered a 4.8L motor as well.

wheelerd
12-22-2010, 02:44 AM
JEGS has a good lineup of 350's
http://www.jegs.com/v/GM-Performance/809
as does SummitRacing
http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/GM-Performance/

Jesus_Freak
12-22-2010, 04:59 AM
Because its from Wikipedia does not mean its the truth.

Bingo. :)

Not necessarily related to this thread, but I once had visions of building my own 5.7. Bought an old crusty one (1973) from a friend, along with a mount. I began disassembly, etc. Then...my wife told me what she thought about it. :D

JimN
12-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Bingo. :)

Not necessarily related to this thread, but I once had visions of building my own 5.7. Bought an old crusty one (1973) from a friend, along with a mount. I began disassembly, etc. Then...my wife told me what she thought about it. :D

Maybe you should have told her you were building it for her. :D

FourFourty
12-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Further looking at the available GM engines for marine use, the newer 6.2L GM truck engine is listed to have better fuel efficiency than the 6.0L in the same truck from a few years back. Anyone know if the 6.2 is a more efficient motor or is it just the newer 6 speed transmission or other drive train improvements that give the 6.2L trucks better fuel efficiency? I know many folks complained about poor gas mileage with the 6.0L in their trucks.

From a few posts on here, the Indmar 6.0 is a good engine but a fuel hog. Just curious if the newer 6.2L engine may have an inherently more fuel efficient design?

I had the 6.2L in my 2008 Sierra Denali. It was mated to the 6L80E(I believe) 6 speed automatic. I got 17-18mpg for my regular commute to work, and 22mpg on long interstate trips. Towing a 4 place enclosed motorcycle trailer(v-nose) from Vermont to Myrtle Beach and back, I averaged 14mpg. The truck I had before had a 6.0L and averaged at least 4mpg less in all of those situations......however, it did only have a 4spd auto. Although, a buddy of mine has a new GMC with a 6.0L and a 6spd, and he says he only gets 14-15mpg on his 50 mile commute to work (which is mostly 50mph highway). From that, I would gather that the 6.2L is ALOT better on fuel. Especially considering that my 08 Denali was full time AWD. Thats alot more drivetrain turning all of the time than my friends truck....

DooSPX
12-22-2010, 09:20 AM
The end fuel mileage on long trips is a result of the L92 being a more powerful engine (less load to do the same work), Transmission final drive ratio, gear ratio, tire size, weight and your foot.
City and towing, the numerically higher gear ratio's and higher transmission ratio's will normally result in slight increase of mpg.

MIMC
12-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Vision -

In all reality the 6.2 liter will not get you better gas mileage than the 5.3 or even the 6.0 liter. Since some of the posts are about the 6.2 liter I'm assuming you are talking 1/2 ton truck applications. Starting in 2010 you can no longer get a 6.0 in the 1/2 ton truck. The 4.8 and 5.3 liter engines are your only choices unless you opt to get the MAX package - your only choice with that is the 6.2 liter. I say in reality the 6.2 liter should not get better gas mileage because if does not come with DOD (displacment on demand/active fuel managment). Most 5.3's and the 6.0 did have DOD, basically depending on throttle response, load, driving habits, etc it would go from V8 to V4 mode - thus better MPG's. Fuel economy is obviously based upon driver habits, gear ratio, trans selection, etc - but in theory the 6.2 liter should not getter better MPG if comparing apples to apples. GM started offering the 6 speed trans in 2008 on the Denali, then standard on 1/2 ton for 2009 and beyond. Hope this helps.

In regards to the 5.7 liter still being made, have no worries, that engine will be avialable for many years to come. I can tell you with a very high level of confidence ( I work for GM) that the production of that engine/block will never stop, unless we go bankrupt again! :o Even then someone will buy the tooling and production rights and continue to produce. There are millions of vehicles (cars, trucks, marine, industrial) that depend on that engine being available for service.

Thanks! MIMC

DooSPX
12-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Vision -

In all reality the 6.2 liter will not get you better gas mileage than the 5.3 or even the 6.0 liter. Since some of the posts are about the 6.2 liter I'm assuming you are talking 1/2 ton truck applications. Starting in 2010 you can no longer get a 6.0 in the 1/2 ton truck. The 4.8 and 5.3 liter engines are your only choices unless you opt to get the MAX package - your only choice with that is the 6.2 liter. I say in reality the 6.2 liter should not get better gas mileage because if does not come with DOD (displacment on demand/active fuel managment). Most 5.3's and the 6.0 did have DOD, basically depending on throttle response, load, driving habits, etc it would go from V8 to V4 mode - thus better MPG's. Fuel economy is obviously based upon driver habits, gear ratio, trans selection, etc - but in theory the 6.2 liter should not getter better MPG if comparing apples to apples. GM started offering the 6 speed trans in 2008 on the Denali, then standard on 1/2 ton for 2009 and beyond. Hope this helps.

In regards to the 5.7 liter still being made, have no worries, that engine will be avialable for many years to come. I can tell you with a very high level of confidence ( I work for GM) that the production of that engine/block will never stop, unless we go bankrupt again! :o Even then someone will buy the tooling and production rights and continue to produce. There are millions of vehicles (cars, trucks, marine, industrial) that depend on that engine being available for service.

Thanks! MIMC

True...
but VVT in the L92 can aid in a slight increase in mileage.
as I said, work you are asking (load), trans ratio's, gear ratio's, weight, tire/wheel combo, your right foot even the weather can affect MPG.

vision
12-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Vision -

Thanks! MIMC

Excellent info! Thanks.

wheelerd
12-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Here's a link to GM's marine powertrain web info:
http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/gmpowertrain/engines/specialized/marine/REV_3_2011_Marine_Engines.pdf
Interestingly, they offer the 5.0 and the 5.7 but not the 5.3.

I have a 5.3 in my 2002 Yukon and hang out on some of the truck forums. The 5.3 vs. 5.7 question always creates a good debate. I think most would agree that the 5.7 has more grunt at the bottom end but things start to even out at higher RPM's . . . and that's where we all tend to operate.

The old adage "There's no replacement for displacement" is true only in the simplest terms -- one has to take into account air/fuel delivery, exhaust, heads, cam, pistons, rpm range, electronics, etc. etc. etc. That's why the 350 MCX generates more HP than the non-HO 454 that came in some MC's.

dog paw
12-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Might be something in here usefull

https://store.gmperformanceparts.com/store/Welcome.do

Jesus_Freak
12-31-2010, 06:59 AM
Maybe you should have told her you were building it for her. :D

Good one. She might have accepted this justification in the short term until she saw the roots blower* and associated hardware. She considers them an eye sore and would have known it was not for her. :)

*Yes, I had big dreams. Ironically, I also had a small wallet. It was never going to work. :o

2gofaster
12-31-2010, 10:14 AM
At some point, the 5.3 will be a reality in the marine world. It's too good of an engine. They are making 335hp and over 300ft lbs of torque in trucks with very restrictive exhaust manifolds. Currently, the only hold up to marinizing them is availability of 5.3 specific headers/risers. I belive that both Indmar and PCM have both experimented with the 5.3 recently.