PDA

View Full Version : Under water lights

DJ 50
12-21-2010, 05:45 AM
I know there was a lengthy talk on a thread about a year ago about the legality of LED speaker rings. I'm by no means trying to drag that back up. However are the underwater lights legal to operate at night while underway? I just want to know if I can wire them so they will always come on with nav lights or put it on it's own switch.

JohnE
12-21-2010, 07:20 AM
I don't know about the legality, but I would not want them on all the time. I don't want to draw attention to myself for starters.

MattsCraft
12-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Officially, I would say yes;), however I have run right past the Kentucky water patrol during river-fest on the Ohio River near Cincinnati with them on. They were pulling boats over left and right for not having proper anchor lights, running lights, BUI, etc. and we just cruised right by and they never said a thing. We also go to concerts on the Ohio several times a year, water patrol is everywhere and when we leave, they never stop me. Of course, I am 100% legal with all the required Coast Guard gear etc and donít drink when I am the Captain, so if they stop meÖ no worries. To me, I donít find them distracting at all, probably more benefit than anything, either direction you can still clearly see my anchor and navigation lights. They will for sure stop you if you are running with a spot light or docking lights on, that IS A HUGE NO, NO. Always kills me, seems the Pontoons are out running with the docking lights on, drives me crazy!!!

Lastly, when you are on plane, the light diminishes quite a bit in the wash, gives the wake a light blue tint and is not at all bright enough to be a hindrance at least that would be my plea to THE MAN, lol!:rolleyes:

Sodar
12-21-2010, 10:16 AM
It is illegal. Use them at your own risk.

bobx1
12-22-2010, 12:54 PM
source = http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/boating-safety/210062-underwater-boat-lighting-5.html

=========================================
Part C - Lights and Shapes

Rule 20

Application

(a)Rules in this part shall be complied with in all weathers.

(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.

(c) The lights prescribed by these rules shall, if carried, also be exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other circumstances when it is deemed necessary.

(d) The Rules concerning shapes shall be complied with by day.

(e) The lights and shapes specified in these Rules shall comply with the provisions of Annex I to these Regulations."

======================

I think this came from Colorado and am sure regs vary by state. Also appears to be subjective which is going to be a problem. And as JohnE says, may not be worth causing attention to yourself.

Barefooter92
12-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Why is it illegal? You would think more lights the better to see you with?

Justjoe
12-22-2010, 08:14 PM
And what big teeth!!

The better to eat you with!

bobx1
12-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Why is it illegal? You would think more lights the better to see you with?

I was (unitentionally) one of the people that questioned IF the LED rings were legal in certain states and that started a semi-match (again, unintentional). This summer, I was pulled over for a safety check at the end of the day, but clearly not dusk, and the watercop told me that if I was running at night, I would be ticketed if I had my ski rope and handle hung around my anchor/running light as it was impairing the use of the light. This was, in my opinion, very nit picky.

On our home lake, the party barges got into the LED rope lights strung around the fence panels which, while nice looking, made it hard to see the nav lights and thus, the water cops started to clamp down on their use while underway which spilled over to them writing tickets for anything that would possibly impair the site of nav lights.

No, I do not think underwater lights should be illegal while underway and no, I do not think they distract from the nav lights BUT I think, as stated in the above regs, they are intentionally making this somewhat subjective (in some states) and when you couple subjectiveness with a rookie Barney Fife water cop, then user beware.

As for the original question - no, I would not wire them to my light switch - use an AUX switch.

CantRepeat
12-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Alabama - I'll assume underwater blue lights that do not flash would be legal in my state.

No other lights that may be mistaken for required navigation lights may be exhibited. Note: blue flashing lights are restricted to use by law enforcement boats only.

ORX-1
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Question- If I was to add underwater lights could I run the power to the "rear tower lights" switch? I have forward facing lights but not rear so that spot should be open and I would think it already has power going to it right? Any help would be awesome!

BNIROOSTER
01-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Question- If I was to add underwater lights could I run the power to the "rear tower lights" switch? I have forward facing lights but not rear so that spot should be open and I would think it already has power going to it right? Any help would be awesome!

Yes, you can. If it is a lighted rocker switch and the rocker light comes on then yes it should have power already to it.

ORX-1
01-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes, you can. If it is a lighted rocker switch and the rocker light comes on then yes it should have power already to it.

great thanks, now does anyone know if you can have both forward and rear lights on at the same time?

KnoxX2
01-18-2011, 06:09 PM
You couls wire it that way. Just make sure the breaker can hold the load that is put on it!

MattsCraft
01-19-2011, 09:39 AM
great thanks, now does anyone know if you can have both forward and rear lights on at the same time?

Not sure on that one, I have both (Forward & Rear), MC wires them to a 3 way toggle, center off, up/forward, down/rear. The underwater are wired to a 3 way toggle also, "Courtesy Lights", however it does the same up or down, interior and underwater all come on, I was told this is due to sharing wiring harness with other boats. I would have liked it to be up/underwater + Interior and Down/underwater only. I tried messing around with it and came up blank. I solved the problem by disconnecting the white courtesy lights and wiring my entire interior LED's to the old courtesy wire connections. Now underwater and interior's are all on the same switch.

All of my lights point down and give a nice glow, nothing shining in your eyes so you can safely run at night without impairing your vision. Now I just need to find out a way to dim the darn remote light, I put black electrical tape over that one, it blinds me...:mad:

Double D
01-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Not sure on that one, I have both (Forward & Rear), MC wires them to a 3 way toggle, center off, up/forward, down/rear. The underwater are wired to a 3 way toggle also, "Courtesy Lights", however it does the same up or down, interior and underwater all come on, I was told this is due to sharing wiring harness with other boats. I would have liked it to be up/underwater + Interior and Down/underwater only. I tried messing around with it and came up blank. I solved the problem by disconnecting the white courtesy lights and wiring my entire interior LED's to the old courtesy wire connections. Now underwater and interior's are all on the same switch.

All of my lights point down and give a nice glow, nothing shining in your eyes so you can safely run at night without impairing your vision. Now I just need to find out a way to dim the darn remote light, I put black electrical tape over that one, it blinds me...:mad:

Matt, not only a great looking paint scheme on the outside, but awesome lighting on the inside. Its a great looking boat! My only hang up is its a V, but you knew that already.. :D:D

MattsCraft
01-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks Big D:D