PDA

View Full Version : whats the deal with MB ballast?

ksdaoski
12-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Seems like an interesting and simple method? Any future for it on a MC?

sand2snow22
12-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Merge. Not trying to be rude, but it's been discussed before. A simple search for 'pure vert ballast' brings up multiple threads.....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32637&highlight=pure+vert+ballast

ksdaoski
12-20-2010, 06:10 PM
I searched "mb ballast" and got nothing.... so not too simple or obvious. Not sure what part of pure vert is simple!

sand2snow22
12-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Huh, I searched 'mb ballast' and got 20 pages of threads?

ksdaoski
12-20-2010, 06:19 PM
But thanks for the link

ksdaoski
12-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Huh, I searched 'mb ballast' and got 20 pages of threads?

The search skips Mb because its less than 4 letters. So you got 20 pages of ballast only

vision
12-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Seems like an interesting and simple method? Any future for it on a MC?

As long as there is an alternative pump system to empty in case your boat dies, then I like the system.

DJ 50
12-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Why would you need the pump? Once you pull the boat out of the water would it not drain anyway? You put a pump in there thats just one more thing to go wrong.

vision
12-20-2010, 07:35 PM
If your boat was dead in the water and had to be towed, it would be nice to be able to empty the ballast prior to towing. Plus, if I recall, you need to get on plane or up to a reasonable speed to effectively empty, which would be difficult while being towed.

For boats that live on lifts, like mine, having an extra 2500 lbs of water ballast would be beyond my lifts capacity and prevent me from lifting it out of the water. I would hate to have to tow the boat to a ramp and pull the boat out of the water just because I could not empty the ballast.

Even a single pump that took 20 minutes would do the trick.

jason@wakemakers.com
12-21-2010, 06:05 PM
The other inconvenience with their new system is that you can't add weight while the boat is on plane. I don't know about you guys, but we frequently pull a ride up and THEN realize we need to add some more weight to one side or the other to fine tune things.

I agree, having a reversible pump as a back up to allow you to fine tune the ballast while on plane, and also to dump water when off plane would be nice (but would add more cost).

Also, we've had a lot of boats in that have had gate valves that have failed. I'm sure they've fixed that by now, but it was an issue with a lot of the early boats.