PDA

View Full Version : 2012 XStar?

Pages : [1] 2

ironj32
12-20-2010, 09:37 AM
I've heard rumors about their being a new hull for 2012. Does anyone out there have any more insite that they'd be willing to share???

east tx skier
12-20-2010, 11:13 AM
There will apparently be a new 190/197 hull for 2012. Haven't heard anything about the Xstar.

TT197
12-20-2010, 12:05 PM
No new prostar hull in 1012
From very high up the chain one of the top 3

porter
03-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Who has some more info on this one? Anyone willing to share?

willyt
03-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Word on the street here is 24ft 7in....

Other than that... Clueless. Been hearing for a long time the star was going to 24 ft.

x-swagger
03-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Who has some more info on this one? Anyone willing to share?

I agree! Current X-Star Hull will be 9 years old. I am a big fan of the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" doctrine, but I agree modern advancements could improve on it even further.

Timbo126
03-15-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard from my dealer that the x-star was changing but dont quote me on that. I do however know that the csx line is done after this year as well as the x-80

vision
03-15-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard from my dealer that the x-star was changing but dont quote me on that. I do however know that the csx line is done after this year as well as the x-80

Will the CSX hull be made for one of the other brands for which MC makes hulls? Such a great hull.

TayMC197
03-15-2011, 04:47 PM
I agree! Current X-Star Hull will be 9 years old. I am a big fan of the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" doctrine, but I agree modern advancements could improve on it even further.

They have a 24 foot xstar!! Its called an x45.... I think they need to leave it as it is... the xstar isn't a family cruiser... why the need to be 24 ft? Put an xstar decal on a x45 and call it a day...

Thrall
03-15-2011, 05:06 PM
They have a 24 foot xstar!! Its called an x45.... I think they need to leave it as it is... the xstar isn't a family cruiser... why the need to be 24 ft? Put an xstar decal on a x45 and call it a day...

What he said!
MC sure is intent on pricing themselves at the absolute top end of the market for sure. $120,000 X stars rolling off the assembly line will make the paltry X15's and X25's at $70-90k seem like a bargain.

Timbo126
03-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Will the CSX hull be made for one of the other brands for which MC makes hulls? Such a great hull.

Well they used the hull from the 220 on the x-25 so its actually already being used. The 265 hull i assume is going to be gone. Since mastercraft bought out hydra sports there no reason for them to make center consoles anymore. Someone feel free to correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure thats what happened with the hulls.

porter
03-15-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm all for a 24 foot x star. The nose is so low now all they would need to do is make the boat taller and it would probably add at least a foot. The current x star doesn't exactly have lots of room in the cockpit. A new layout would be really nice. The current Xstar is what, 10 years old. Time for a revamp!

x-swagger
03-15-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm all for a 24 foot x star. The nose is so low now all they would need to do is make the boat taller and it would probably add at least a foot. The current x star doesn't exactly have lots of room in the cockpit. A new layout would be really nice. The current Xstar is what, 10 years old. Time for a revamp!

I agree the nose is low, but not "too low" if handled properly, even with a 700lb fat sac in the walkway. It's also part of what makes the X-Star still the sickest looking thing sitting on the water (IMO).

A revamp would be nice, a total annihilation of a proven winner would not be.

scott023
03-15-2011, 07:04 PM
I agree the nose is low, but not "too low" if handled properly, even with a 700lb fat sac in the walkway. It's also part of what makes the X-Star still the sickest looking thing sitting on the water (IMO).

Agree completely. No reason to blow it up when it's had nothing but success in it's current form.

willyt
03-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Agree completely. No reason to blow it up when it's had nothing but success in it's current form.

the 5.7 Ilmor wont fit in the current X-1. My prediction: Current star goes to the X-1.

Don't see them getting rid of that hull.... ever

jason95gt
03-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Maybe they will change everything around again and make the current X-Star the new x-2 and make the current X-2 an X-1 and the current X-1 will disappear. That would be a great idea and sure wouldn't make things confusing.

Eric2010MCX2
03-15-2011, 08:19 PM
the 5.7 Ilmor wont fit in the current X-1. My prediction: Current star goes to the X-1.

That would make no sense based on how they have shifted the nomenclature and hulls in the past.

MC seems to always have something up their sleeve.. I'm sure they won't dissappoint!

Plave
03-15-2011, 08:31 PM

This makes sense, although following MC's previous business plans it may be that we see;

X1 gone (almost certain)
X2 becomes X1 (that 20 foot hull is gold)
X-Star becomes X2
New 24 ft ish X-Star been rumoured for well over a year
X-45 dropping out of the line
The twin engine boys (CSX 265 and X80) removed

I don't claim to have any inside knowledge, I don't, but these would all look like smart moves in this climate, a lot of money can be saved by consolidating hulls and Hydra Sports may well mean the end of the CSX's.

The 22 foot X Star doesn't line up well against the other flagship boats.

vision
03-15-2011, 08:36 PM
X25 hull, but slightly longer and lower bow = X-star NG.

turbosdad
03-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Again random talk, by dealer personnel, not until '13. But he was trying to sell me a boat. He did talk about longer. I am fine with the 22 foot X-star, but also could use some innovation. It was never meant to be a family cruiser.

Whomever said the 20' hull is gold is right on. I have never seen a better functioning 20 foot boat!!!!!

scott023
03-16-2011, 10:36 AM
This makes sense, although following MC's previous business plans it may be that we see;

X1 gone (almost certain)
X-Star becomes X2

I don't claim to have any inside knowledge, I don't, but these would all look like smart moves in this climate, a lot of money can be saved by consolidating hulls and Hydra Sports may well mean the end of the CSX's.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

east tx skier
03-16-2011, 11:16 AM
They won't officially announce anything until they are just about to start production. No reason to sink new boat sales of the current model by announcing an entirely revamped new model too early.

j4rowell
03-16-2011, 11:26 AM
They won't officially announce anything until they are just about to start production. No reason to sink new boat sales of the current model by announcing an entirely revamped new model too early.

I agree and disagree. Expectancy Theroy states that if you anticipate a change is near you will hedge against it. Granted this relates to finance/stock market but similar principals can be applied here.

If these rumors keep circling it will eventually get to MC production and potentially bring up ideas of change. If this happens than models will be switched and you'll be stuck with the old. It's a crappy reason not to buy a new boat but it at least keeps the idea on your mind while shopping for a new setup.

east tx skier
03-16-2011, 11:40 AM
I understand your theory, but I don't remember ever having seen a replacement hull announced for one of the big inboard manufacturers more than a month or two before they stop producing the hull to be replaced. I'm talking model specific as opposed to the PS214 replacing the PS209. Even with CC replacing the 196 with the 200, there was very little lead time.

bobx1
03-16-2011, 12:03 PM

I agree and using your theory, then why get rid of the X1 since most will agree it is one of the best hulls ever produced? There have been rumours of the X1 going away for a few years and based on their lack of appearences at the boat shows, it looks like they are already gone.

Not sure why they want to get rid of the great "entry level" hull (X1):confused:

jason95gt
03-16-2011, 12:06 PM
The X-1 is awesome, but the R&D to fit the new Ilmor in it is going to outweigh the benefit and growth of other models.

TayMC197
03-16-2011, 12:17 PM
IMHO a 24' x star wouldn't serve its purpose.... Its a wakeboard specific boat... not wake surf, not slalom, not family cruiser... Its like the 197 and 190 are slalom, jump, etc. specific... If you want 24 ft get the x45... Its would be a pain to drag an x45 to the lake for a quick wakeboard run as opposed to the size it is now. Also the xstar run more during the day... it would kill fuel consumption to run a 24' all day long... Just isn't practical...

the xstar doesn't have as deep a hull as the x35/45 and to make it that length and not drop the hull would make it an extremely rough ride and it would be more likely to dunk the front end... If you know how to drive a boat, then dunking the front end isn't an issue... If you can't drive it right buy a pontoon and shut up. Hey it holds more than 10 people... ;)

scott023
03-16-2011, 12:41 PM
IMHO a 24' x star wouldn't serve its purpose.... Its a wakeboard specific boat... not wake surf, not slalom, not family cruiser... Its like the 197 and 190 are slalom, jump, etc. specific... If you want 24 ft get the x45... Its would be a pain to drag an x45 to the lake for a quick wakeboard run as opposed to the size it is now. Also the xstar run more during the day... it would kill fuel consumption to run a 24' all day long... Just isn't practical...
the xstar doesn't have as deep a hull as the x35/45 and to make it that length and not drop the hull would make it an extremely rough ride and it would be more likely to dunk the front end... If you know how to drive a boat, then dunking the front end isn't an issue... If you can't drive it right buy a pontoon and shut up. Hey it holds more than 10 people... ;)

What chew talking about Willis? You really think there's a massive difference between trailering a 22'3" boat and a 24'2"? And don't most boats run during the day? The fuel consumption difference between a Star running the LY6 vs. a 45 is going to be negligible.

jason95gt
03-16-2011, 12:47 PM
The X35 is a deep hull but the 45 is pretty flat. The new X Star is going to be bigger and will be a good replacement for the 45. Do you think people buy a 45 for the ski wake or the room?

vision
03-16-2011, 12:56 PM
The problem with larger wake specific boats who maintain flat hulls is not only their ride but that they require much more weight to sink. The Malibu VLX is a great example. Three revisions in the last decade and each takes increasingly more weight to achieve the same wake. Clearly market research must state that buyers want more room, but I would like to see a core wake boat stay at 22 feet.

I hope that a newer X-star will have a deeper V like the X25/CSX hull to give a good wake with less ballast and drop the idea that you are going to ski behind an X-star.

scott023
03-16-2011, 01:30 PM
The X35 is a deep hull but the 45 is pretty flat. The new X Star is going to be bigger and will be a good replacement for the 45. Do you think people buy a 45 for the ski wake or the room?

Where are you getting your info from?

We bought a 45 because we felt it had the best interior layout for our needs... the chances that we would need room for 18 is secondary.

TayMC197
03-16-2011, 02:19 PM
What chew talking about Willis? You really think there's a massive difference between trailering a 22'3" boat and a 24'2"? And don't most boats run during the day? The fuel consumption difference between a Star running the LY6 vs. a 45 is going to be negligible.

I have been in both and towed both... I'd say there is a good difference. People by the 45 for room, style and it is a good surfing boat and not a bad wake... that would be comparitive to take a corvette and making it a 4 door... Seems like if you didn't want an x45 but wanted a 24' star, then your just wanting the decal on the side....

I'm just saying the xstar isn't a bunch of people kind of boat, its a wakeboard specific boat... I think the size of it is great and thats what makes it successful... It throws a beautiful wake... making design changes would be fine to improve performance but going to a 24' is retarded.. Why not make the x45 more like the star? If you are wanting a lot of people then your looking to party out of it... personally if I'm boarding more than 6 people in the boat gets annoying.... Also I can live without the mini bar, sink, and storage capacity to sail the pacific...

TayMC197
03-16-2011, 02:28 PM

The star or the 45 aren't ski boats, they build the prostars for that.. the biggest thing about the 197 isn't for more seating room, its to move people from the back to the front if someone is skiing... otherwise the observer seat looks like a 75 ford pickup crossing the mexico boarder.. lol

If the x45 and xstar have such similar(not the same) hulls and has such a great wakeboard wake, then why isn't it approved? probably cuase its geared more for the family/party crusier with the ability to wakeboard and surf... while the star remains the wakeboard fanatic/expert inspired design... think parks bonifay is upset because he can't fit his 14 friends in the boat to watch him board? I figure he'd rather them watch from the shore and not have to constantly tell them to switch sides to adjust the wake...

scott023
03-16-2011, 02:40 PM
I have been in both and towed both... I'd say there is a good difference. People by the 45 for room, style and it is a good surfing boat and not a bad wake... that would be comparitive to take a corvette and making it a 4 door... Seems like if you didn't want an x45 but wanted a 24' star, then your just wanting the decal on the side....

I'm just saying the xstar isn't a bunch of people kind of boat, its a wakeboard specific boat... I think the size of it is great and thats what makes it successful... It throws a beautiful wake... making design changes would be fine to improve performance but going to a 24' is retarded.. Why not make the x45 more like the star? If you are wanting a lot of people then your looking to party out of it... personally if I'm boarding more than 6 people in the boat gets annoying.... Also I can live without the mini bar, sink, and storage capacity to sail the pacific...

I agree. BTW, you can't get fridges or sinks on a 45. :D

Plave
03-16-2011, 04:36 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's only a guess. :D

I just don't see room for the X35, X45, X55 and a 24 foot X-Star in the line up. If one of them drops I think the 45 is most likely.

As for the reasoning, all the other flagship wakeboats are 23-25 ft and the rumours out of MC for the last year or more are that the new Star will also fit that bracket.

jason95gt
03-16-2011, 04:57 PM
I just know. My point is that the 45 is not bought for the ski wake, but more so what everyone is pointing out. Space and the Xstar is probably not going to be much different in layout just in overall hull design.

scott023
03-16-2011, 05:01 PM
I just know. My point is that the 45 is not bought for the ski wake, but more so what everyone is pointing out. Space and the Xstar is probably not going to be much different in layout just in overall hull design.

HAHAHAHAHA

Sounds like an comeback from a 8 year old. :D

sand2snow22
03-16-2011, 05:04 PM
What he said!
MC sure is intent on pricing themselves at the absolute top end of the market for sure. $120,000 X stars rolling off the assembly line will make the paltry X15's and X25's at $70-90k seem like a bargain.

I wouldn't be surprised if MC started making a lower price point boat like Moomba-Supra, Axis-Malibu, MB, Toyota-Lexus, etc.... Heard a rumor and it's just that, think pickle for X10 :D

scott023
03-16-2011, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if MC started making a lower price point boat like Moomba-Supra, Axis-Malibu, MB, Toyota-Lexus, etc.... Heard a rumor and it's just that, think pickle for X10 :D

You "just know" this for sure?

sand2snow22
03-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Know it's a rumor.

Waketn
03-16-2011, 06:11 PM

you might be onto something!

Holman J.B.F
03-16-2011, 06:26 PM
with the name X-Star ,I think of fanatic wakeboarders so this rant is not boating related

Does one really need a bigger wakeboarding specific boat?
IMO i think the current x-star is big enough,personally i do not want to ride with a crew of 8 - 9 people with all the gear & boards (p.s most of my diehard wakeboarding friends don,t)....
hell no,i,ll have to wait 2 hours before i can take a second set behind my own boat,fuel cost would be sky high and a lot of extra hours on the engine.
Nah,..me my wife and a 3th or 4th and a bunch of fatsacks will do just fine,call it selfishness but i,m working hard to pay for it all and just want to enjoy my little spare time to the fullest...wakeboarding on a 3500lbs x-star wake is just perfect.On glass it is even addictive.

On the other hand some people want the best of the best to show off their w2w jump to a crew of 10+ and want enormous storage rooms for their tubes and beers for the after party.

Do you need a bigger X-Star to ride one of the best wakes out there?...i don,t think so
But apparently there is demand for it.

willyt
03-16-2011, 06:32 PM
especially since coming out with the 25 and seeing what kind of wake that boat can produce even without ballast...

MC has always been a leader in hull design. I really think this new star, if it does move up to 24 +ft, which i expect it to, is going to blow anyone's expectations out of the water (no pun intended). You don't mess with the best selling wakeboarding boat in recent history without KNOWING you nailed it.

Have some faith... I'm excited.

TayMC197
03-17-2011, 02:36 PM
with the name X-Star ,I think of fanatic wakeboarders so this rant is not boating related

Does one really need a bigger wakeboarding specific boat?
IMO i think the current x-star is big enough,personally i do not want to ride with a crew of 8 - 9 people with all the gear & boards (p.s most of my diehard wakeboarding friends don,t)....
hell no,i,ll have to wait 2 hours before i can take a second set behind my own boat,fuel cost would be sky high and a lot of extra hours on the engine.
Nah,..me my wife and a 3th or 4th and a bunch of fatsacks will do just fine,call it selfishness but i,m working hard to pay for it all and just want to enjoy my little spare time to the fullest...wakeboarding on a 3500lbs x-star wake is just perfect.On glass it is even addictive.

On the other hand some people want the best of the best to show off their w2w jump to a crew of 10+ and want enormous storage rooms for their tubes and beers for the after party.

Do you need a bigger X-Star to ride one of the best wakes out there?...i don,t think so
But apparently there is demand for it.

I agree with you completely... 24' is just to much boat for sporting... xstar size is perfect as is...a few inches with improved hull design is fine but 2 more feet is to much

aaron.
03-17-2011, 05:58 PM

funny that you say this; when I think XStar, i think the wakeboard boat of my dreams......but then I look around and 99% of the people with XStars around me are the people you described above. It makes me want to vomit.

I'm happy that they also share a passion for mastercrafts, but damnit, it sure makes me sick seeing a XStar used simply as a ***** compensation devise in an attempt to hook up with chicks far too young... that is all.

edit: apparently you cannot use the word 'pen1s' on this forum.... lol

porter
03-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Personally, I'm not buying the statement that a core wakeboard-specific boat needs to be 22 feet. I ride all summer and Iím always interested in the nicest biggest wake possible, but when I want to load up the boat with friends, it's great to have plenty of room.

I think the "21ish-foot" wake boat is old school thinking. Yes, 10 years ago all the best wake boats were 21 feet. However, over the past 10 years we have seen that 21 foot boat stretched to 23 and 24 feet. Take a look at the manufactures and their top wake boats:

- Mastercraft: Current X-star 22 feet (designed nearly 10 years ago)
- Malibu: Wakesetter 21 VLX and 23 LSV have the best wakes. I would rather ride behind the 23 because the wake is just as good and you get more room. I would load it up, but for those who like to ride without extra weight, the 23 footer has a better stock wake.
- Nautique: Super Air 21 and 23 are the boats. 23 has the best wakeboard wake...every trick has been landed on that wake.
- Supra: Launch 242 is the boat. It's a 24 foot boat with a sick wake.
- Tige': RZ4 is their 24 footer, their top wake boat.

I'm sure some dude who owns a Prostar 190 will reply telling us how the current Xstar is perfect and needs no changes but I would bet the farm that a bigger Xstar from Mastercraft will be the best wake boat out there, and there would be absolutely no issue with the wake, even if it stretches to the 24 foot area. There is no a chance Mastercraft will screw up the new Xstar wake.

Duane D
03-23-2011, 03:44 PM

X1 gone (almost certain)
X-Star becomes X2

Anyone else notice the CSX section is conspicuouly absent from the 2011 brochure?

atthelake
03-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Waiting to get into my '09 Non-current Xstar, bought it in Feb (too good of deal to pass up) and read a couple of things about the low nose. What are you guys saying, I'm gonna put 'er to the bottom of the lake? Drove the friends 06' VLX a few times (boarding and surfing) w/o issues. I guess when I take her out for the "test" drive I'll know then. As you can tell, I have no valid opinion on the "upgrading" of the Xstar but I did research before buying (testing is out, a little too much ice on the lakes) for four months, reading forums, articles, reviews etc etc and couldn't find too many that stated MC better keep up or get out. If it ain't broke.... Who cares about keeping up with the Jones'?

vision
03-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Waiting to get into my '09 Non-current Xstar, bought it in Feb (too good of deal to pass up) and read a couple of things about the low nose. What are you guys saying, I'm gonna put 'er to the bottom of the lake? Drove the friends 06' VLX a few times (boarding and surfing) w/o issues. I guess when I take her out for the "test" drive I'll know then. As you can tell, I have no valid opinion on the "upgrading" of the Xstar but I did research before buying (testing is out, a little too much ice on the lakes) for four months, reading forums, articles, reviews etc etc and couldn't find too many that stated MC better keep up or get out. If it ain't broke.... Who cares about keeping up with the Jones'?

Not an issue. The X-star can throw a huge wake. If you run 3500 lbs and sink the boat in the water and make it throw a 2.5 ft roller, you can easily take water over the bow if you do not pay attention. If you drive correctly (stop, let the rollers dissipate, slowly turn around and get your rider, and if a roller is coming at you, give it a little throttle to lift the nose) there is never a problem. I often take water over the bow on purpose to wake up folks napping in the bow ; ). Unless your bilge pump is not working and you do it 30 times in a row, you should have no issues even if you do take a wave over the bow.

Any heavily weighted inboard can take a roller over the bow. My 205v/X1/X2 did it much more than my 08 X-star. Boats with higher bows are less susceptible. IMHO, it is a non issue.

Holman J.B.F
03-23-2011, 08:49 PM

welcome & congrats.
Don,t worry about dipping the nose,it is the stern that causes more troubles.
If you put a lot of wieght in the x-star(2500+),don,t throw it into neutral or your own wake will roll over the sundeck,throttle back to idle......slowly.
About the bow,..i,ve had 3 Vlx and they were more sensitive for dipping the nose.
BTW,if you know how to drive a wakeboarding boat this shouldn,t be a problem at all.
It never happened to me,.....well,,i dipped the bayliner once or twice back in '96:o

atthelake
03-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks, I feel better already!!

TayMC197
03-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Personally, I'm not buying the statement that a core wakeboard-specific boat needs to be 22 feet. I ride all summer and Iím always interested in the nicest biggest wake possible, but when I want to load up the boat with friends, it's great to have plenty of room.

I think the "21ish-foot" wake boat is old school thinking. Yes, 10 years ago all the best wake boats were 21 feet. However, over the past 10 years we have seen that 21 foot boat stretched to 23 and 24 feet. Take a look at the manufactures and their top wake boats:

- Malibu: Wakesetter 21 VLX and 23 LSV have the best wakes. I would rather ride behind the 23 because the wake is just as good and you get more room. I would load it up, but for those who like to ride without extra weight, the 23 footer has a better stock wake.
- Nautique: Super Air 21 and 23 are the boats. 23 has the best wakeboard wake...every trick has been landed on that wake.

I'm sure some dude who owns a Prostar 190 will reply telling us how the current Xstar is perfect and needs no changes but I would bet the farm that a bigger Xstar from Mastercraft will be the best wake boat out there, and there would be absolutely no issue with the wake, even if it stretches to the 24 foot area. There is no a chance Mastercraft will screw up the new Xstar wake.

First off Porter My dad has a 05 X-Star and my neighbor has a 06 Super Air Nautique 23', so yes I have a prostar because I still love to slalom. If I want to wakeboard, there is not an issue, I have both boats to hop in and go. Also as for the 23' Nuatique, the wake isn't as good as the star... Now it does have a better surf wake hands down... A pro rider can almost land every trick behind a prostar, so unless you truly know what you are talking about... I'd rather not hear it... Also I've grown up in inboards, this is my first purchase :D

If you like the Malibu wake so much, buy a Malibu......

I added a few pictures of the dock and garage... I'd hate for you to think I'm only a prostar knowledgable guy....

TayMC197
03-24-2011, 04:48 PM

Also if you dip the nose, check the tranny for water in it... they sit low and will commonly result in tranny failure...

But what would I know, I'm a prostar owner... ;)

aaron.
03-24-2011, 04:57 PM
First off Porter My dad has a 05 X-Star and my neighbor has a 06 Super Air Nautique 23', so yes I have a prostar because I still love to slalom. If I want to wakeboard, there is not an issue, I have both boats to hop in and go. Also as for the 23' Nuatique, the wake isn't as good as the star... Now it does have a better surf wake hands down... A pro rider can almost land every trick behind a prostar, so unless you truly know what you are talking about... I'd rather not hear it... Also I've grown up in inboards, this is my first purchase :D

If you like the Malibu wake so much, buy a Malibu......

I added a few pictures of the dock and garage... I'd hate for you to think I'm only a prostar knowledgable guy....

BAM!
:twocents:
thats a sick garage right there

SkiDog
03-24-2011, 05:02 PM

Sounds to me like you either need to buy another brand or step up to the X55 so you can tote ALL your friends and STILL have plenty of room to have a square dance! There's not many people around that NEED a boat much bigger than an X-star. As for the wakes behind one, I challenge you to find another boat manufacturer thats put as much R&D into a boats wake, as MC on the X-Star!

TayMC197
03-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Sounds to me like you either need to buy another brand or step up to the X55 so you can tote ALL your friends and STILL have plenty of room to have a square dance! There's not many people around that NEED a boat much bigger than an X-star. As for the wakes behind one, I challenge you to find another boat manufacturer thats put as much R&D into a boats wake, as MC on the X-Star!

Lol he has tige'! Seems like we need to question he's credentials! Is the tige' tournament approved for any major tourneys? Guess they are "too" awesome for tournament pulls! :worthy:

porter
03-25-2011, 12:54 AM
TayMC,

I'm not looking to get into a pissing contest. In fact, my first boat was a Prostar 190 - great boat. I just don't understand why you are so atimate about the Xstar needing to be 22 feet. My predication is that the new Xstar will be 24 feet, it will be sick, and maybe your dad will even upgrade. To each his own though eh...you've always got the 2005 X even if there's a new one, and that doesn't suck so bad. Peace brother, it's all good.

porter
03-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Oh, and your neighbor has a 220 Nautique by the way...and yes, wake not near the Xstar.

Holman J.B.F
03-25-2011, 04:56 AM
did somebody say it has to be 22 ft?...or is 22 ft enough?
22ft ...big enough for me
24ft ...big enough for me & most people

let,s talk price tag.
<100k
>100k

76S&S
03-25-2011, 09:10 AM
>100k is my prediction......which leaves me out

SkiDog
03-25-2011, 10:15 AM
I just hope they don't price themselves right outa businezz!:D

TayMC197
03-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Oh, and your neighbor has a 220 Nautique by the way...and yes, wake not near the Xstar.

Not to piss you off but wrong again! Although the looks are very similar the 220 does have the storage box on port and starboard as clearly shown behind the drivers seat in this pic. The 220 has open wrap around seating for 2006. Similar to the 05 xstar! It happens.. Don't sweat it..

porter
03-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Let me be clear here TayMC190. I believe you are saying your neighbors boat is 23 foot Super Air Nautique. Is that correct? The 23 foot Super Air did not exist in 2006.

The boat you posted is 2006 Super Air Nautique 220. That boat measures 22'1". By the way the 220 has since been retired from the Nautique line. It did not have a great wake. Here is a link showing the 2006 Super Air Nautique 220: http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/2005/12/12/nautique-2006-super-air-natique-220/

It's pretty easy to confirm it's the same boat considering there were only two Super Airs that year, the 220 and the 210.

I'm contemplating either a 2012 Xstar or Nautique 230, so sharing any advice and experiences with MC's would be welcomed.

x-swagger
03-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Let me be clear here TayMC190. I believe you are saying your neighbors boat is 23 foot Super Air Nautique. Is that correct? The 23 foot Super Air did not exist in 2006.

The boat you posted is 2006 Super Air Nautique 220. That boat measures 22'1". By the way the 220 has since been retired from the Nautique line. It did not have a great wake. Here is a link showing the 2006 Super Air Nautique 220: http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/2005/12/12/nautique-2006-super-air-natique-220/

It's pretty easy to confirm it's the same boat considering there were only two Super Airs that year, the 220 and the 210.

I'm contemplating either a 2012 Xstar or Nautique 230, so sharing any advice and experiences with MC's would be welcomed.

Not to pile on here, but.....
Either that is a 2005 X-Star with and '04 graphic, tower and speakers....
Or for some reason they put the '04 graphics and tower arrangement on an '05.. :o

aaron.
03-25-2011, 05:17 PM
hrrmm

ok back on track. I'm slightly nervous about xstars moving up another 2 ft, simply because nearly all the great riders out there have 5 sets of 'bling' (boat, board, board shorts, shades, and KNEE BRACES)... lolz

What are you xstar guys pumping now? 3500lbs of ballast? How much water is going into a 24ft boater? 4500-5000lbs of water? I hope babies are going to start being born with bionic titanium knees; otherwise there won't be anymore pro's to watch!! haha

My favorite MC rider, harley clifford (I understand these are double-ups), things are getting rad and kind of scary altogether.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs299.ash2/57971_157852250892936_125074477504047_542342_61594 3_n.jpg

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11516&stc=1&d=1296659986

Sodar
03-25-2011, 05:25 PM
A dealer told me they were going to discontinue the X-star all together because the X-25 was selling so well. :rolleyes:

We'll see in a few months.

FancySauceRules
03-25-2011, 06:21 PM
There was the thought that the X-25 was the next X-Star. Seems like the sales may be playing this out without the re-naming.

vision
03-25-2011, 07:05 PM
There was the thought that the X-25 was the next X-Star. Seems like the sales may be playing this out without the re-naming.

I am guessing X-25 hull elongated 12 to 18 inches.

jason95gt
03-25-2011, 07:46 PM
3500 lbs of ballast is half of what Harley and Rusty put in there boats. They are seriously running 6-7k lbs.

aaron.
03-26-2011, 09:36 AM
thats crazyness

captain planet
03-28-2011, 11:00 AM
I've read this entire thread and I hate to be the one to point out the obvious...but has anyone bothered to take a look at the hull of the X-Star compared to the othe boats in the line-up being compared to it? Look at the shape of the hull at the transom of these boats and you will see why the X-Star is a designated hardcore wakeboard boat. There is a reason the X-Star is the X-Star and the X-25 and the X-45 are what they are. We're talking apples and oranges.

SkiDog
03-28-2011, 11:23 AM
hrrmm

ok back on track. I'm slightly nervous about xstars moving up another 2 ft, simply because nearly all the great riders out there have 5 sets of 'bling' (boat, board, board shorts, shades, and KNEE BRACES)... lolz

What are you xstar guys pumping now? 3500lbs of ballast? How much water is going into a 24ft boater? 4500-5000lbs of water? I hope babies are going to start being born with bionic titanium knees; otherwise there won't be anymore pro's to watch!! haha

My favorite MC rider, harley clifford (I understand these are double-ups), things are getting rad and kind of scary altogether.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs299.ash2/57971_157852250892936_125074477504047_542342_61594 3_n.jpg

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11516&stc=1&d=1296659986

You can get all the air you want riding a skyski and NOT worry about busting up a knee!:D

captain planet
03-28-2011, 11:35 AM
You can get all the air you want riding a skyski and NOT worry about busting up a knee!:D

WOW, is that Chip? :(

Jerseydave
03-28-2011, 11:36 AM

Congrats on your upcoming purchase....you'll love the X-star!
Just remember to turn slightly when coming to a stop after a rider falls so you don't take water over the back. I usually turn slight left, then turn right to return to the rider....no reverse necessary to avoid your own rollers. Hit other rollers at a 45 degree angle (or more) to avoid washing over the bow.

I hope they don't make the X-star larger......I think the handling would suffer when making tight turns in narrow places/coves.

Love my X-star!

SkiDog
03-28-2011, 11:44 AM

Geno Yauchler.

porter
03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
I've read this entire thread and I hate to be the one to point out the obvious...but has anyone bothered to take a look at the hull of the X-Star compared to the othe boats in the line-up being compared to it? Look at the shape of the hull at the transom of these boats and you will see why the X-Star is a designated hardcore wakeboard boat. There is a reason the X-Star is the X-Star and the X-25 and the X-45 are what they are. We're talking apples and oranges.

I definitely hear you there, and I think what you are saying is the XStar is designed as a tournament wakeboard boat and there is a reason it doesn't have high sides like the X35, X55 or perhaps even the X25 to some extent. These boats handle rougher water much better and there is no need for an Xstar to handle those seas.

I still think there would be some benefit to a redesigned Xstar, even if it's only interior modifications. For example, the newer Mastercrafts also have backwards facing seat behind the driver, which is a big plus in a wakeboard-specific boat. If there is a new Xstar in 2012, it would be great to have more backward facing seating. I think that's a modernization all riders would appreciate, and if there is a new version I'm sure there are several surprises in store which will answer the question of why change the current Xstar.

Ole Miss Rebels
03-29-2011, 01:31 PM

i believe the area you are referring to (the running surface) is referred to as a delta pad. it is shaped like a triangle (= delta).

aaron.
03-29-2011, 02:33 PM
the XStar is designed as a tournament wakeboard boat

+2, theres got to be one boat in the x-lineup that is simply a wakeboard work horse. keep the pisser and mini fridge to the other boats.

porter
03-29-2011, 02:54 PM
+2, theres got to be one boat in the x-lineup that is simply a wakeboard work horse. keep the pisser and mini fridge to the other boats.

Agreed. Xstar needs to be completely wakeboard focused. Here is my wish list for the ultimate xstar:

- More stock ballast. Idea...lose the bow center walk through, everyone gets the cushion insert anyway. Make that entire bow area a huge ballast tank under the seats.
- More rear facing seating: For a wake boat why not make more rear facing seating - a back rest behind the driver (like the X25) at a minimum.
- Attitude adjustment plate on the xstar. This is strictly to make pulling with lots of weight easier to get on plane. Put the plate down when heavily weighted and you get out of the hole faster.
- More board storage? Maybe surf and wakboard racks?
- I'd like to see more room in the cockpit of the Xstar. The X2 even seems to have more room than the Xstar in the main cockpit.
- I assume the formentioned "delta pad" and general hull design would stay the same in order to preserve the money wake. Would be great to figure out how to get a really nice surf wake out of the Xstar, but I'm not sure that is going to happen. Like all mentioned, it's a wakeboard boat.

scott023
03-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Agreed. Xstar needs to be completely wakeboard focused. Here is my wish list for the ultimate xstar:

- More stock ballast. Idea...lose the bow center walk through, everyone gets the cushion insert anyway. Make that entire bow area a huge ballast tank under the seats.
- More rear facing seating: For a wake boat why not make more rear facing seating - a back rest behind the driver (like the X25) at a minimum.
- Attitude adjustment plate on the xstar. This is strictly to make pulling with lots of weight easier to get on plane. Put the plate down when heavily weighted and you get out of the hole faster.
- I'd like to see more room in the cockpit of the Xstar. The X2 even seems to have more room than the Xstar in the main cockpit.
- I assume the formentioned "delta pad" and general hull design would stay the same in order to preserve the money wake. Would be great to figure out how to get a really nice surf wake out of the Xstar, but I'm not sure that is going to happen. Like all mentioned, it's a wakeboard boat.

Why would you need surf racks on a wakeboard specific boat?

aaron.
03-29-2011, 03:50 PM
thats kind of a silly question... it's not like porter is suggesting that xtars should come with a boom and para-sailing winch... lol

scott023
03-29-2011, 04:02 PM
thats kind of a silly question... it's not like porter is suggesting that xtars should come with a boom and para-sailing winch... lol

It's not silly when his whole concept is built around the Star being a wakeboard boat only. The surf wake behind a Star is sub par as it is, why push it as a surf boat as well? 8p

My point is that each model of boat is used by owners differently. The success of the Star speaks for itself, both in competition and recreational use. Why drive it into a market where it's sold as a one sport boat, more so than it is already?

aaron.
03-29-2011, 04:37 PM
lol ok ok, fair enough. I agree with that.

i figured he meant it as a nice 'optional' accessory, not one that is included in base model msrp.

TayMC197
03-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Not to pile on here, but.....
Either that is a 2005 X-Star with and '04 graphic, tower and speakers....
Or for some reason they put the '04 graphics and tower arrangement on an '05.. :o

Correct it is an 04, we purchased in june of 05... honest mistake... the towers are different and the graphics changed... Also the upholstry in ours has been hell but has finally been replaced...

TayMC197
03-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Porter, you are right! It is a 220, I just called my neighbor and he confirmed it was a 220. So my appologies for that being wrong, for some odd reason I swore it was a 230 but honestly never paid attention... Still think your a Dumb@$$ for wanting a 24' star but at least you are right in this case... :D

captain planet
03-29-2011, 05:47 PM
I definitely hear you there, and I think what you are saying is the XStar is designed as a tournament wakeboard boat and there is a reason it doesn't have high sides like the X35, X55 or perhaps even the X25 to some extent. These boats handle rougher water much better and there is no need for an Xstar to handle those seas.

I still think there would be some benefit to a redesigned Xstar, even if it's only interior modifications. For example, the newer Mastercrafts also have backwards facing seat behind the driver, which is a big plus in a wakeboard-specific boat. If there is a new Xstar in 2012, it would be great to have more backward facing seating. I think that's a modernization all riders would appreciate, and if there is a new version I'm sure there are several surprises in store which will answer the question of why change the current Xstar.

You have to take into consideration what we are seeing in the watersports towboat market. MasterCraft used to bring out a new 190 hull every 3 or 4 years or so. Currently we are on year #10 of the EVO 190/197 hull. That was not the trend prior to this hull. The current X-Star hull was brought out in 2003 updated from the 205V/X-1 hull.

The watersports boats, mainly geared toward wakeboarding, have a wide variety to sell to all kinds of customers. Your hardcore/competing wakeboarders are a pretty small portion of the demographic, therefore unless MC has been able to come up with a boat that can produce a better wake than the current X-Star design, the current one is going to remain in place. Same thing goes for the 197/190. The X-Star isn't made in mind for the 'Johnson' family to buy for an afternoon out on the lake with 7 or 8 people that want to ski, ride, and surf. There are plenty of other hulls in place with that purpose in mind other than the X-Star. Should the current X-Star be updated on the interior? That is personal preference, but to make big changes to the layout and you are talking about modifications to moldings which is big dollars to drop into a hull that is 8 years old.

My estimation, any redesign of the X-Star and its intended purpose is going to be limited to what the boat does to the wake behind the boat first, and creature comforts second.

ShawnB
03-29-2011, 05:54 PM

I like it. I came across this video today of Harley's new XStar. I can't be the only one who thinks it's silly to take a brand new boat and then lay sacs all over the floor of it. Hard to argue with the result though. Let's hope the new XStar puts out this kind of wake with hidden ballast or hull design.

http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/harley-clifford-new-boat-and-five-9s/

sand2snow22
03-29-2011, 07:39 PM
^ Has the new tower lights.

kskonn
03-30-2011, 01:56 AM
My two cents- I bought an X30 to have a little flexibility. After dialing it in I have been able to generate a very good wakeboarding wake. when I go out to wakeboard it is 3-4 boarders max, I am selfish that way. However having the flexibility to throw 10 people in the boat comfortably for a party day is nice. I did not buy an X-star because I am not an off the chart wakeboarder and the X30 does a great job for me.

I also think that any redesign on the X-star would have the wake in mind first and everything else second. I see the need for the demand for a larger X star, I see two types of people in my area with X-stars
1) pro wakeboarders or very good amateurs.
2) People who want everyone to know they have the money for an X star but are to scared to fill up the ballast when they wakeboard, often accompanied by high school girls.

the best wake on my lake is a 2009 X1 with extra ballast, which I believe is the old X star?

x-swagger
03-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Correct it is an 04, we purchased in june of 05... honest mistake... the towers are different and the graphics changed... Also the upholstry in ours has been hell but has finally been replaced...

Oh man, my '04 was the same way!! (why i mentioned it in the first place, my last boat was a viper red '04 x-star, looks just like your pop's). In mine, i had to re-do all of the sunpad, and most of the cockpit upholstery.

aaron.
03-30-2011, 10:52 AM
I also think that any redesign on the X-star would have the wake in mind first and everything else second. I see the need for the demand for a larger X star, I see two types of people in my area with X-stars
2) People who want everyone to know they have the money for an X star but are to scared to fill up the ballast when they wakeboard, often accompanied by high school girls.

so true, it's disturbing.

porter
03-30-2011, 10:58 AM
My two cents- I bought an X30 to have a little flexibility. After dialing it in I have been able to generate a very good wakeboarding wake. when I go out to wakeboard it is 3-4 boarders max, I am selfish that way. However having the flexibility to throw 10 people in the boat comfortably for a party day is nice. I did not buy an X-star because I am not an off the chart wakeboarder and the X30 does a great job for me.

the best wake on my lake is a 2009 X1 with extra ballast, which I believe is the old X star?

Well, I have another use case:

3) A wakeboarder who has never competed, but enjoys the best heavily weighted wake possible. Said future Xstar purchaser has multiple inverts and spins but has never competed, or even thought about it. Hopeful purchaser rides with anywhere from one other guy (outlaw mode) to as many as four other boarders and maybe even four to six observers (read hot chicks, now with kids-haha). Xstar hopeful likes to surf every once in a while but gets bored with it quickly so would gladly give some on the surf wake for the best wakeboard wake passible...and with the Xstar "delta pad", Xstarry-eyed candidate is going to have to.

So there. Am I allowed to buy an 2012 Xstar, or should buy a Super Air 230? Seriously, come on guys. You can't say the Xstar is designed perfectly now and it's only designed for pros and amsÖ bla-bla-bla. Add more stock ballast in the bow (itís easy to add hidden ballast to the rear). Throw in some rear-facing seating, maybe juggle the seating a bit for more cockpit room like the newer generation Mastercrafts. Leave the hull exactly the same to get the same wake - if it's 2 feet longer, that's all the better. Iím just sayníÖ.it can be improved.

scott023
03-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Reading back, I can't find a single poster that said the Star is perfect the way it is. Everything can be improved upon, there's no doubt about that.

It seems that you aren't familiar with the building process of MasterCrafts. The can't simply "throw in some rear facing seats".... changes like that require the hull mold to be changed, which isn't a cheap project. We all know the luxury boat market isn't a strong one right now, and with MC having added multiple new models since the slow down in sales. a lot fo us fail to see a reason to change that particular model at this point in time.

If they add two feet to the Star, do they get rid of the 45? A model that seems to be widely popular? MC doesn't have a model that is similar to the 45 IMO. The 35 and 55 are obviously completely different hulls and have drastically different interior layouts, so MC may lose potential customers with the deletion of the 45 in their line up. Doesn't seem to me that MC will lose customers if the Stars layout or length aren't changed. Which path seems like the right one to take?

bcboy
03-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Allow me to be first...The X-Star is PERFECT for MY needs!!! When it was time to purchase a new boat all the current models were available to me and I decided on the X-Star as soooo many others have.

I chose this boat because of it's size,shape,wake,lay out and reputation and everything else that makes it a X-Star.

Personally if I wanted a bigger boat I would have bought one...the consumer gets to make the final decision and messing with this Hull could be DANGEROUS...if it aint broke...don't fix it.

Perhaps a NEW design such as X-STAR SURF EDITION as well as the X-Star would be supported and may be a little less risky.

Whatever they decide...I am sure Mastercraft will get it right!!!

porter
03-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Nice boat BCBOY. Love the black. Let me add a little context to my interest in Mastercraft - maybe you can give me some advice. I ride in Lake Sammamish near Seattle. I also have a beach house in Whidbey Island. Let me tell you Whidbey is glass most mornings and it is absolute torture not having a saltwater boat.

That yearning for riding that glass has led me to Mastercraft's Saltwater Series. The other option is the Nautique Coastal Edition (Super Air 230). My current boat is 21'7" and I would like something a bit larger. The requirements are as many wakeboard-specific features possible, the best wakeboarding wake possible, and surfing is a plus. When the X25 came out I thought that was the leader from MC. It has most of the requirements i want, but it's 21'6" long - the same size as my current boat. Plus, there is nowhere to hide front ballast. My current boat has 2500 pounds completely hidden and I want this in my new boat. I think the X35 is too family for me, but it's definitely a super nice boat.

scott023
03-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Nice boat BCBOY. Love the black. Let me add a little context to my interest in Mastercraft - maybe you can give me some advice. I ride in Lake Sammamish near Seattle. I also have a beach house in Whidbey Island. Let me tell you Whidbey is glass most mornings and it is absolute torture not having a saltwater boat.

That yearning for riding that glass has led me to Mastercraft's Saltwater Series. The other option is the Nautique Coastal Edition (Super Air 230). My current boat is 21'7" and I would like something a bit larger. The requirements are as many wakeboard-specific features possible, the best wakeboarding wake possible, and surfing is a plus. When the X25 came out I thought that was the leader from MC. It has most of the requirements i want, but it's 21'6" long - the same size as my current boat. Plus, there is nowhere to hide front ballast. My current boat has 2500 pounds completely hidden and I want this in my new boat. I think the X35 is too family for me, but it's definitely a super nice boat.

Have you looked at a 45? Doesn't have the sink, the fridge or the loo. Great overall interior layout and loads of storage space for ballast. The wakeboard wake may no be the best as is, but throw some fatsacs in and you'll be mint. Surf wake is phenomenal.

porter
03-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Have you looked at a 45? Doesn't have the sink, the fridge or the loo. Great overall interior layout and loads of storage space for ballast. The wakeboard wake may no be the best as is, but throw some fatsacs in and you'll be mint. Surf wake is phenomenal.

You know, I've ridden in the boat, but have never wakeboarded behind it. I really do like the layout of the X45, actually more than any other MC out there. It also has tons of room under the cushions for ballast, so with the right system I bet the wake would be pretty nice.

I've been in a bit of a holding pattern for a couple years becuase of this continual rumor of a new Xstar. :) Maybe I'll test drive the X45 if the new X doesn't play out for 2012. It's seriously been rumored for the past two years or so.

willyt
03-30-2011, 03:09 PM
porter -
I've been in several Tige 22V's (from your profile i surmised this is your current boat) and spent some time in a couple 25's, I'll tell you the 25 will seem MUCH larger than the tige, even if they are of equal lengths (at least IMO). We had 13 people on a 25 one day, although a little cramped, it was definitely doable (actually didnt have to run any ballast other than the center tank that day). Have you spent any time in a 25?

porter
03-31-2011, 10:05 AM
porter -
I've been in several Tige 22V's (from your profile i surmised this is your current boat) and spent some time in a couple 25's, I'll tell you the 25 will seem MUCH larger than the tige, even if they are of equal lengths (at least IMO). We had 13 people on a 25 one day, although a little cramped, it was definitely doable (actually didnt have to run any ballast other than the center tank that day). Have you spent any time in a 25?

Hi Willy. Are you talking the X45 or 55? Thanks.

scott023
03-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi Willy. Are you talking the X45 or 55? Thanks.

He was talking about an X25.

mpabreo
03-31-2011, 11:30 AM
You know, I've ridden in the boat, but have never wakeboarded behind it. I really do like the layout of the X45, actually more than any other MC out there. It also has tons of room under the cushions for ballast, so with the right system I bet the wake would be pretty nice.

I've been in a bit of a holding pattern for a couple years becuase of this continual rumor of a new Xstar. :) Maybe I'll test drive the X45 if the new X doesn't play out for 2012. It's seriously been rumored for the past two years or so.

See this thread for pics of the X-45 wake. Pretty nice wake is an understatement when speaking of a correctly weighted X-45. I think there's some X-star wake pics in the thread too.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38058

porter
03-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Mpabreo - thanks I'll take a look. I appreciate it.

Willy - ok, that makes sense, the X25. When that boat came out I thought it would be perfect for my use case. That's a great boat and I have ridden behind it without extra ballast and was very impressed. I'm sure it would be incredible with weight. I also agree, the cockpit area is huge in this boat for a 21.5' boat.

Perhaps I'm being too picky, but the extra room in the cockpit comes at the expense of the bow and rear storage area. My biggest gripe is the fact that there is no space under the front seat to add extra ballast. I would need to go the lead route. If you took the X25 and added a foot or two, that would be my ideal boat. Based on that you can now see why I'm interested in a potentially new and improved Xstar. Even if only the interior is redesigned in the Xstar, it's still 22.5' long, and if they do nothing but make it similar to the X25 inside it's game on for me. I guess my only gripe is the sub-par surf wake of the Xstar, but I think with enough weight I can make it good enough. I like riding much more than I like surfing anyway.

The X45 is pretty sweet too. I'll read over that thread and see what i think.

Thanks for all the help guys.

bcboy
03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
I would have to agree with Scott and say the X-45 would probably be my choice...not only is the length and width significant but it does not have a huge free board and still has that sleek look.

You are lucky you have two awesome places to ride and the 45 would still be able to handle the rough water if it had to....the lay out allow for tons of storage and you would not have any problems gettting ballast in it and I even believe with the newer models the plug and play would have you ready to go.

I have never boarded behind the 45 but the Surf wake is MASSIVE...I am sure the board wake would be great and the ROOM and LAYOUT are incredible.

Good luck and keep us posted on your search for the PERFECT boat.

scott023
03-31-2011, 12:09 PM

Willy - ok, that makes sense, the X25. When that boat came out I thought it would be perfect for my use case. That's a great boat and I have ridden behind it without extra ballast and was very impressed. I'm sure it would be incredible with weight. I also agree, the cockpit area is huge in this boat for a 21.5' boat.

Perhaps I'm being too picky, but the extra room in the cockpit comes at the expense of the bow and rear storage area. My biggest gripe is the fact that there is no space under the front seat to add extra ballast. I would need to go the lead route. If you took the X25 and added a foot or two, that would be my ideal boat. Based on that you can now see why I'm interested in a potentially new and improved Xstar. Even if only the interior is redesigned in the Xstar, it's still 22.5' long, and if they do nothing but make it similar to the X25 inside it's game on for me. I guess my only gripe is the sub-par surf wake of the Xstar, but I think with enough weight I can make it good enough. I like riding much more than I like surfing anyway.

X45

Has plenty of roon under the bow seats for ballast, the cockpit area is HUGE (read that it will sit 10 comfortably). The surf wake on the 45 is second only to the 55 IMO, so I truely believe that you get a combination of everything good in the 45.

MIskier
03-31-2011, 12:28 PM
If you want a boat that is slightly larger than the 25 and will handle ruff water you need to be looking for a 35. The 45 while a great boat will not handle the ruff water as well as a 35 and the fridge is an optional extra on the 35, not standard.

scott023
03-31-2011, 12:44 PM
If you want a boat that is slightly larger than the 25 and will handle ruff water you need to be looking for a 35. The 45 while a great boat will not handle the ruff water as well as a 35 and the fridge is an optional extra on the 35, not standard.

The flip observers seat IS standard on the 35 though, and it takes us a lot of cockpit space that is better utilized in the 45. The 45 does handle rough water A LOT better than most people give it credit for.

Forrest-X45
03-31-2011, 04:51 PM
X45

Has plenty of roon under the bow seats for ballast, the cockpit area is HUGE (read that it will sit 10 comfortably). The surf wake on the 45 is second only to the 55 IMO, so I truely believe that you get a combination of everything good in the 45.

Bingo!!! The 45 is the best all around boat in my opinion. The only thing it doesn't do extremely well is ski. The space/seating and storage are outstanding. The wake for boarding and surfing is top notch......I really like mine and would buy another in a heartbeat.

BTW - I am on Sammamish darn near every weekend as long as it's not raining.

Forrest-X45
03-31-2011, 04:54 PM
The flip observers seat IS standard on the 35 though, and it takes us a lot of cockpit space that is better utilized in the 45. The 45 does handle rough water A LOT better than most people give it credit for.

You really have the 45 sales pitch down, Scott. :D Same reason I like the 45 as well over the 35.

scott023
03-31-2011, 05:07 PM
You really have the 45 sales pitch down, Scott. :D Same reason I like the 45 as well over the 35.

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

We weren't considering an X45 when we started looking at MasterCrafts, but there are A LOT of reasons that we ended up with one. :D

vision
03-31-2011, 08:50 PM
If you took the X25 and added a foot or two, that would be my ideal boat.

2012 X-star...

porter
04-01-2011, 10:45 AM
2012 X-star...

...aaaannnndddd....we come full circle. LOL

jdl xstar
04-01-2011, 11:28 AM

Isn't what you describe either an X35 or an X55? Both are deep V hulls with a ton of interior space. It was my view that the X25 was created for people who liked the 35 and 55 but they were too big....

scott023
04-01-2011, 11:45 AM
2012 X-star...

I may be in the minority, but I have trouble seeing a 24ft X-Star pulling in touraments. MC has many options for boats that are in the same size range. Why add another?

bcboy
04-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I may be in the minority, but I have trouble seeing a 24ft X-Star pulling in touraments. MC has many options for boats that are in the same size range. Why add another?

I agree...why mess with the Industry Leader???

craig3972
04-01-2011, 11:50 AM
change sells boats. why would I buy a new xstar when my old one is the same? auto indusrty loves doing this.

bcboy
04-01-2011, 11:58 AM
change sells boats. why would I buy a new xstar when my old one is the same? auto indusrty loves doing this.

They can change Technology,options,even some lines but to add two feet seems DRASTIC to ME.

I have the 08 and would buy that NEW Parks X-star in a minute if I had the Money...add two feet and I will keep mine!!!

Can't wait to see what they do.:-)

scott023
04-01-2011, 12:04 PM

No one in the auto industry redesigns a vehicle while adding two feet onto its legth. Costmetic changes, electronic upgrades etc make sense, but changing a smaller, athletic boat into a barge doesn't fit the pattern of any manufacturers that I know of.

GT500 MC
04-01-2011, 12:14 PM
No one in the auto industry redesigns a vehicle while adding two feet onto its legth. Costmetic changes, electronic upgrades etc make sense, but changing a smaller, athletic boat into a barge doesn't fit the pattern of any manufacturers that I know of.

I don't know if the auto industry is a fair comparison. Everything auto seems to be going smaller anyway, for green or economic reasons. The boating world seems to be counter-point to that in the past few years. Economy is down, premium boat sales are down, yet the bigger boats are what's leading the way in innovation (25's, 45's, etc.). I guess in the end it's truly all about the demand.

scott023
04-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't know if the auto industry is a fair comparison. Everything auto seems to be going smaller anyway, for green or economic reasons. The boating world seems to be counter-point to that in the past few years. Economy is down, premium boat sales are down, yet the bigger boats are what's leading the way in innovation (25's, 45's, etc.). I guess in the end it's truly all about the demand.

I would expect you're right. So, with that in mind, has demand for the X-Star decreased ove the last few years? If so, has it decreased enough to justify scrapping the existing model and completely redesigning it?

porter
04-01-2011, 12:39 PM
We are all seeing the rumors posted about a 24'7" Xstar. Although I would like to see a redesigned Xstar with a little different layout, more stock ballast and rear-facing seats, I tend to think Mastercraft would simply keep the exact same hull and change the interior mold for a redesigned interior.

The most extreme thing I could see them doing would be to use the same Xstar hull in general, but maybe lengthening the boat a bit. Maybe it's just making the transom, gunnels and bow higher, which would result in a slightly longer boat - maybe 23 feet.

Bottom line, I bet they'll keep the same proven hull and maybe redesign the interior.

porter
04-01-2011, 01:08 PM
I would expect you're right. So, with that in mind, has demand for the X-Star decreased ove the last few years? If so, has it decreased enough to justify scrapping the existing model and completely redesigning it?

I know one dealer said he hasn't been selling many Xstars lately. I was curious so I ran a search on boattrader. There are currently 80 Xstar listed there for sale: http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/mastercraft/x+star/

I figured I needed a high volume, popular boat to compare with. The Malibu VLX seemed like a good match. They are classified under multiple names, so when you add them all up you get 46 total for sale:
http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/malibu/wakesetter-vlx
http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/malibu/wakesetter-vlx-21
http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/malibu/wakesetter-21-vlx
http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/malibu/wakesetter
http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/malibu/wakeboard-vlx

I'm obviously making some assumptions here, but the net is that these boats have both been around for the same period of time, I'm guessing Malibu may have sold even more VLXs than Mastercraft sold Xstars (correct me if I'm wrong), but there are almost twice as many Xstars for sale on boat trader.

Super-non-scientific, but something to consider: If there are more Xstars for sale than VLXs, and the same number were sold over the years, does that mean that the demand for the Xstar is going down?

scott023
04-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I know one dealer said he hasn't been selling many Xstars lately. I was curious so I ran a search on boattrader. There are currently 80 Xstar listed there for sale: http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/mastercraft/x+star/

I figured I needed a high volume, popular boat to compare with. The Malibu VLX seemed like a good match. They are classified under multiple names, so when you add them all up you get 46 total for sale:
http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/malibu/wakesetter-vlx
http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/malibu/wakesetter-vlx-21
http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/malibu/wakesetter-21-vlx
http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/malibu/wakesetter
http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/malibu/wakeboard-vlx

I'm obviously making some assumptions here, but the net is that these boats have both been around for the same period of time, I'm guessing Malibu may have sold even more VLXs than Mastercraft sold Xstars (correct me if I'm wrong), but there are almost twice as many Xstars for sale on boat trader.

Super-non-scientific, but something to consider: If there are more Xstars for sale than VLXs, and the same number were sold over the years, does that mean that the demand for the Xstar is going down?

Perhaps, but it could also mean that a lot of people bought them and realized that they are basically a wakeboard specific boat that didn't meet all of their recreational boating needs... and have decided to look for something more versatile.

gocougs
04-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Or, by coincidence the buyers come from a certain demographic that with the economy, can't afford the boat (regardless of make), and need to sell it. It is a tough assumption with the economic conditions as they are. I do have a couple friends with the x-start though that are trying to sell to get the more versitile x-25 or x-45.

Ole Miss Rebels
04-01-2011, 02:18 PM
make no mistake about the xstar. even for poor riders such as myself and all of my crew, it is still the most fun to ride behind. personally, the long transition with the meaty base that doesn't collapse under the weight of the rider is really an asset whether you are a competitive rider or a casual rider. the biggest drawback is that the surf-wave, while able to be built up vertically to a decent size, sits close to the transome and doesn't give the surfer a lot of "come and go" room.

porter
04-01-2011, 02:37 PM
make no mistake about the xstar. even for poor riders such as myself and all of my crew, it is still the most fun to ride behind. personally, the long transition with the meaty base that doesn't collapse under the weight of the rider is really an asset whether you are a competitive rider or a casual rider. the biggest drawback is that the surf-wave, while able to be built up vertically to a decent size, sits close to the transome and doesn't give the surfer a lot of "come and go" room.

What is the impact of surf tabs on the X Star. Do you know if they lengthen the wave nicely?

Ole Miss Rebels
04-01-2011, 02:59 PM
back in 2005 i asked on this site about installing a wakeplate on an xstar. i was informed by more than one dealer here that it had never been done and was not recommended and furthermore that they would not install one. that led me to believe that the xstar rides on the "delta pad" portion of the hull and it wouldn't take much to mess up the wakeboard wake. i also have read the the oversized platform affects the surf wave. this may be true as i noticed the corner drags in the water when we are surfing. perhaps a modified (smaller) platform might improve the surf wave.

craig3972
04-01-2011, 03:50 PM

hmmmm
I had an 2006 xstar and a 2001 xstar. 22'-3" -20'-6" = 1'-8" yeah i guess its not 2 feet.

scott023
04-01-2011, 03:58 PM
hmmmm
I had an 2006 xstar and a 2001 xstar. 22'-3" -20'-6" = 1'-8" yeah i guess its not 2 feet.

Point taken, although the Star didn't have the cult following in the old form that it does now, especially with the younger crowd.

bcboy
04-01-2011, 04:09 PM
hmmmm

Pretty sure the X-2 - X-1 was/is still available for several years to follow.
So lets hope they do the same.

Perhaps this Forum is as much of a tool for Mastercraft as it is us!!!

FourFourty
04-01-2011, 05:07 PM

According to MCs Northeast rep (I think his name was Norm), MC is selling more X25s and X45s than any other model. He also said the amount of Xstars built has halved since 2009. He thinks all of that business went to the X25..... except for the die-hard Xstar fans.

I know that I went with the X25 for the same reasons as most of the others probably did. I was looking at an Xstar first. However, I am no Pro, and the X25 has more room, and some cool new features.... And It had more "wow" factor.

My guess is that A refreshed Xstar is coming soon, and will be updated to get that following back.

scott023
04-01-2011, 11:00 PM
According to MCs Northeast rep (I think his name was Norm), MC is selling more X25s and X45s than any other model. He also said the amount of Xstars built has halved since 2009. He thinks all of that business went to the X25..... except for the die-hard Xstar fans.

I know that I went with the X25 for the same reasons as most of the others probably did. I was looking at an Xstar first. However, I am no Pro, and the X25 has more room, and some cool new features.... And It had more "wow" factor.

My guess is that A refreshed Xstar is coming soon, and will be updated to get that following back.

So, according to you and many others I have spoken to, the 45's sales are strong. Would it make sense for MC to make a Star the same length as the 45? Or more likely taking the 45 right out of the line up?

sand2snow22
04-01-2011, 11:34 PM

If X-Star sales have been cut in half since 2009, I don't even want to know what X-1 sales have done. :o

erkoehler
04-02-2011, 12:54 AM
If X-Star sales have been cut in half since 2009, I don't even want to know what X-1 sales have done. :o

Better get a tissue!

skierdan
04-02-2011, 01:00 AM
ok i will bite, what has happened to X1 sales?

erkoehler
04-02-2011, 01:21 AM
ok i will bite, what has happened to X1 sales?

Not as popular anymore. People want wider boats with more space.

duckguy
04-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Not this guy

FourFourty
04-02-2011, 09:09 PM
So, according to you and many others I have spoken to, the 45's sales are strong. Would it make sense for MC to make a Star the same length as the 45? Or more likely taking the 45 right out of the line up?

IDK.... I think the 45 has its own place, and the Xstar should just get a "facelift". Throw a few updates at it, maybe make some changes to give it an even better surf wake (and still keep the awesome wakeboard wake) That might make it appeal to a broader range of customers. I would keep it under 23', only because garage space comes at a premium to most of us, and even though the 45 isnt very hard to truck around, its still more of a pain when you get beyond 22-23' in a boat.

I would have loved a 45..... but it wouldnt have fit in my garage.

X-1s seem to be fairly popular around here..... Those and X-2s. Tons of draw for 20 footers on our smaller lakes. I have no idea how overall sales has been effected on them though.

porter
04-03-2011, 01:20 PM
It would be so dope if they fixed the surf wake on the Xstar, but my gut tells me they won't because they'll want to keep the money wakeboarding wake first and foremost. We'll see.

swatguy
04-03-2011, 09:29 PM
I would like to see MC make a boat you dont have to throw close to 3k in ballast into to get a nice meaty shaped wake.

I know I am comparing companies, but after riding last summer in some of the "other company's" newer boats and gas pushing close to $5.00 a gallon it has me thinking. Couple of the other top mfg's throw nicely shaped, peaky wakes with stock ballast.

willyt
04-03-2011, 10:36 PM
I would like to see MC make a boat you dont have to throw close to 3k in ballast into to get a nice meaty shaped wake.

I know I am comparing companies, but after riding last summer in some of the "other company's" newer boats and gas pushing close to $5.00 a gallon it has me thinking. Couple of the other top mfg's throw nicely shaped, peaky wakes with stock ballast.

... ever been in a 25??? That boat is your answer

ddanenberger
04-03-2011, 11:03 PM
... ever been in a 25??? That boat is your answer

second the X-25. great wake.

mpabreo
04-04-2011, 11:54 AM

I can't speak to other MC models, but let me offer this. I've shared on this forum before how I tyipcally weight my X-45. A friend recently bought a 2011 X-2. We've ridden it a few weekends with it pretty well loaded. The wake looks much more rolly/rampy than my 45 when loaded down, however it is deceptively poppy. To be honest, it boots me nearly as much as my weighted 45.

Yesterday, I rode in my 45 with stock ballasts only, 80% fuel in tank, 4 people in the boat. And there was not one trick I couldn't do that I can with it fully loaded. And the airs I got were only very slightly less than when its got another ~2k lbs in it. I'd call my stock weighted 45 wake comparable with my buds x-2 with ~2k in ballast.

swatguy
04-04-2011, 02:01 PM
The 25 is the only MC I have not spent time in yet. I would agree not having been in a 25 yet that the 2nd best stock MC boat right behind a CSX is the 45.

JLowder
05-22-2011, 08:49 PM
So I have been a silent stalker on this board for months now. I just sold my stern drive boat in preparation for a new 2012 Mastercraft. Somebody has to have some info on the 2012 models as they must be building prototypes for next years photo shoots. I just find it really hard to believe with all the pride MC has they they aren't building a really awesome surf boat. No way they let the Enslave rule the wave for much longer. I really want a MC, and am keeping my fingers crossed. Anybody got any info on the 2012 models?

DemolitionMan
05-22-2011, 08:53 PM
I believe the X25 is the surf boat.

JLowder
05-22-2011, 09:11 PM
I believe the X25 is the surf boat.

While I have no doubt that the X-25 is one sweet boat, I just think that MC has to have something else going on to face the Enzo. MC as a company has always been known for building the "best." I want to buy the best surf boat, and I want it to be a Mastercraft. Too much to ask?

DemolitionMan
05-22-2011, 09:19 PM
While I have no doubt that the X-25 is one sweet boat, I just think that MC has to have something else going on to face the Enzo. MC as a company has always been known for building the "best." I want to buy the best surf boat, and I want it to be a Mastercraft. Too much to ask?

You should talk to your dealer and see what best fits your needs.

JLowder
05-22-2011, 09:25 PM
You should talk to your dealer and see what best fits your needs.

I have met with the dealer and have a demo scheduled for both the 25 and 45 the first weekend of June. I plan on placing an order around the first of the year after getting out to the factory in the fall. Just hoping somebody on here might have some info on the 2012 lineup.

Thrall
05-22-2011, 10:08 PM
If you're throwin 100k + look at the X35 and X55 too. Bet they can produce a mean wave.

wakecumberland
05-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Not as popular anymore. People want wider boats with more space.

My guess is its a combination of that and the price of the X1 is just way out there! No way someone is gonna pay 50-60k on a boat that small when you can get a nicely equipped Axis for $45k. Bring the price of the X1 under $40k and they will be flying out the door.

CardenFam
05-23-2011, 12:29 AM
My guess is its a combination of that and the price of the X1 is just way out there! No way someone is gonna pay 50-60k on a boat that small when you can get a nicely equipped Axis for $45k. Bring the price of the X1 under $40k and they will be flying out the door.

Just remember "you pay for what you get"

JLowder
05-23-2011, 02:39 AM
So nobody has any info about the 2012 lineup? How does MC keep such a secret?

snork
05-23-2011, 09:25 AM

If they start flying out the door they'll be the quality of a Malibu/Axis

willyt
05-23-2011, 10:13 AM
as for the 2012 lineup - the dropping of the X1 (because the ilmore wont fit in it) and the new xstar is the only rumor floating around that i've heard (other than the little mentioned X65... )
MC has been pretty good about keeping their hull designs for a long time (such as the star since 03, the X1/205V/X2/old xstar since 99). Especially with the introduction of so many new models recently (25, 35, 55) and the change to ilmor i can't see them changing anything major.

Plus the R&D department has to be going ga-ga over the new star right now, i'll bet they're putting 80-90% of their resources into that.

JLowder
05-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Plus the R&D department has to be going ga-ga over the new star right now, i'll bet they're putting 80-90% of their resources into that.

So are we sure a new X-Star is due out for 2012? Wonder if it will be purely be a wakeboard boat, or if they will make it surf better... My guess is they are trying to figure out a way to make the awesome wake without having to add 4,000 pounds of ballast. Thoughts?

sand2snow22
05-23-2011, 04:26 PM
I heard a rumor it was going to be a 24 ft boat, too.....???

jason95gt
05-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Surprisingly they are changing several things for 2012 too. I still haven't heard anything about this X-65 either.

agarabaghi
05-24-2011, 01:10 PM
are they really dropping the X1???

FancySauceRules
05-24-2011, 01:18 PM

How many surf specific boats can you really sell? Seems like everyone is content to let the Enzo fill that niche. I have yet to meet someone who really would buy a boat for its surf wake at the expense of all other activities. Certainly we have seen some on this board, but seems like a real small market. I would bet 95% of the people who surf, would list it as their second or third priority.

JLowder
08-09-2011, 05:50 PM
So what's up with the 2012 X-Star? Anybody order one yet? Is it a new hull?

Jim@BAWS
08-09-2011, 06:26 PM
So what's up with the 2012 X-Star? Anybody order one yet? Is it a new hull?

Contact your local dealer!!

scott023
08-09-2011, 06:59 PM

What the deuce? Is this something that can't be shared with the group???

JLowder
08-09-2011, 07:36 PM

I have contacted my local dealer and got them to provide as much information as your previous post. What's up? Is it so secret that you can't share on this forum? I don't see the big deal, either they are making a new boat, or they aren't. Somebody on this site has to know and be willing to share something.

snork
08-09-2011, 07:54 PM
ok I'll leak, set for delivery in a month anyways.
All new, everyone going to have a hay day with this one. love and hate all over again.
Very limited production as well.

JohnE
08-09-2011, 08:17 PM

What the deuce? Is this something that can't be shared with the group???

I have contacted my local dealer and got them to provide as much information as your previous post. What's up? Is it so secret that you can't share on this forum? I don't see the big deal, either they are making a new boat, or they aren't. Somebody on this site has to know and be willing to share something.

ok I'll leak, set for delivery in a month anyways.
All new, everyone going to have a hay day with this one. love and hate all over again.
Very limited production as well.

Ok, I'll comment. I can be a total freaking retard and walk in and stroke my local dealer for some inside info on the new hull/ changes for the XStar in 2012. I can do so under the premise of trading in my 1986 bayliner. Or I can be a longtime teamtalk member/ participant and be left in the dark. Same with TT editions, 40th editions, etc. I have several dealers who fill me in on things, and my local dealer is great and is here on TT. I also have some friends with inside info. It just kind of frosts my a** that all those who spend time here on TT supporting the brand and the company and the site are sometimes the last to know, and the first to care and support. Rant over.

sand2snow22
08-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Ok, I'll comment. I can be a total freaking retard and walk in and stroke my local dealer for some inside info on the new hull/ changes for the XStar in 2012. I can do so under the premise of trading in my 1986 bayliner. Or I can be a longtime teamtalk member/ participant and be left in the dark. Same with TT editions, 40th editions, etc. I have several dealers who fill me in on things, and my local dealer is great and is here on TT. I also have some friends with inside info. It just kind of frosts my a** that all those who spend time here on TT supporting the brand and the company and the site are sometimes the last to know, and the first to care and support. Rant over.

Well said John. Seems strange to me to use media avenues like Facebook to release some of the new features when you have this perfect media outlet sitting right here......

scott023
08-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Well said John. Seems strange to me to use media avenues like Facebook to release some of the new features when you have this perfect media outlet sitting right here......

Exactly the way many of us feel. To have dealers give the "contact your local dealer" line seems like a brush off.

One of the best things this company has going for it is word of mouth... some members here need to keep that in mind when refusing to share info. :twocents:

agarabaghi
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
The 2012 Xstar isnt even finished yet. Zane and palma are going up this week to do some riding behind it and some more tweaks...

jason95gt
08-10-2011, 12:52 PM
The boat is new, but nothing has been completely release bc the riders have not signed off on it yet. As stated very limited and will be the flagship!

xstarondabayou
08-10-2011, 01:20 PM
New hull, deck, and dash. Will be out for 2012. It will not be 24' 7". It will be bigger than the current X-Star though.

captain planet
08-10-2011, 01:24 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::rolleyes:

Eagle
08-10-2011, 02:15 PM

+1 !!!

(I have a great local dealer. At the same time, the way many companies communicate has changed forever -- and for the better, in my opinion. And more importantly, the way customers expect companies to communicate with them has changed.)

Jim@BAWS
08-10-2011, 04:46 PM

John...Take a chill pill. Please don't take this as an insult. You almost sound like TMC#1 and you have some kind extra priveledge here. Your work here is apprecatied believe you me...but cmon.

The philosophy is simple. As dealers it is cool to anticipate what is coming down the road next. It creates hype!!! It can also do the opposite. Lets say I have a 2011 X Star on my lot that a customer likes...but has heard rumors of something new and wants to wait. I might loose that sale. The older stock needs to go. In these times the dated inventory needs a home. Lets not even say there is a hull change...just new interior. As dealers we want that dated stuff out of here. We all get excited about the NEW stuff that MC comes up with. Many Northern dealers may not even have 2012 stuff till Janurary because that is when there shows fall into place. I am personally pleased that we have already moved 2012 product...but again the old stuff needs to go!

So don't take it the wrong way...Sometimes info is not released on purpose. At this time there is no definitive answer on the first question. Sending a customer to there local dealer who they will eventually have a relationship with, that is where it starts!

Jim@BAWS

sand2snow22
08-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Good point Jim. A customer recently posted his new 2012 MB Tomcat build pics on WW. Dealers started freaking out calling Mike Brendell, complaining about all the 2011's they have left...However, X-Star hull has been around since 2003. If I'm a dealer, I'm thinking hull change every year.......My local dealer has no X-Stars, new or used....

Lastly, it would be nice for MC to throw their CUSTOMER (not dealer) base a bone once and awhile.....

CottagerGreg
08-10-2011, 05:35 PM
My local dealer will not have 2012 product until late fall and when the boat show season happens.

I did get offered if I'd like to go to Tenn to Mastercraft and see the new xstar personally and demo the boat out as I am an existing 40th xstar owner.

snork
08-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Mastercraft dealers should have no problems moving and 2010-2011 XStars, price pending. Personally I love the currents XStar model, it has fulfilled all my boating needs.
Side by side comparison I'd take the 2011 XStar with power tower over the 2012 model but like everything Mastercraft redesigned It'll grow on you.
Each to their own I guess.

sand2snow22
08-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Side by side comparison I'd take the 2011 XStar with power tower over the 2012 model but like everything Mastercraft redesigned It'll grow on you.
Each to their own I guess.

You've seen the new design? Post a pic.....

snork
08-10-2011, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=flashydubber
I did get offered if I'd like to go to Tenn to Mastercraft and see the new xstar personally and demo the boat out as I am an existing 40th xstar owner.[/QUOTE]

Take the Demo offer, one thing I wish I had the opportunity to do. See if they will let you take photos as well

curtish
08-11-2011, 01:41 AM
tick-tock, tick-tock...

FancySauceRules
08-11-2011, 02:10 AM
John...Take a chill pill. Please don't take this as an insult. You almost sound like TMC#1 and you have some kind extra priveledge here. Your work here is apprecatied believe you me...but cmon.

The philosophy is simple. As dealers it is cool to anticipate what is coming down the road next. It creates hype!!! It can also do the opposite. Lets say I have a 2011 X Star on my lot that a customer likes...but has heard rumors of something new and wants to wait. I might loose that sale. The older stock needs to go. In these times the dated inventory needs a home. Lets not even say there is a hull change...just new interior. As dealers we want that dated stuff out of here. We all get excited about the NEW stuff that MC comes up with. Many Northern dealers may not even have 2012 stuff till Janurary because that is when there shows fall into place. I am personally pleased that we have already moved 2012 product...but again the old stuff needs to go!

So don't take it the wrong way...Sometimes info is not released on purpose. At this time there is no definitive answer on the first question. Sending a customer to there local dealer who they will eventually have a relationship with, that is where it starts!

Jim@BAWS

Why is it that boat dealers need so much secrecy? Car manufacturers leak new model designs sometimes years in advance. We can't even get a "design a boat" for 2012 when the models are already in production. It's an honest question. I'm sure someone has a real good reason, because without thinking about it too much, more hype seems like more boats sold, so long as it isn't overkill. If you sell a couple more 2012's from the hype, who cares if the last 2011 goes out the door 5k cheaper.

aaron.
08-11-2011, 09:36 AM
more hype seems like more boats sold, so long as it isn't overkill. If you sell a couple more 2012's from the hype, who cares if the last 2011 goes out the door 5k cheaper.

^FTW imho. Get the people excited and get them in the door. I'm seeing more moombas on the water every summer... all aboard the fail boats..

captain planet
08-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Why is it that boat dealers need so much secrecy? Car manufacturers leak new model designs sometimes years in advance. We can't even get a "design a boat" for 2012 when the models are already in production. It's an honest question. I'm sure someone has a real good reason, because without thinking about it too much, more hype seems like more boats sold, so long as it isn't overkill. If you sell a couple more 2012's from the hype, who cares if the last 2011 goes out the door 5k cheaper.

Uhhh.......ummm.....well.....don't take this the wrong way.....but did you read the quote you quoted? The reason is within. :confused:

FancySauceRules
08-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Uhhh.......ummm.....well.....don't take this the wrong way.....but did you read the quote you quoted? The reason is within. :confused:

I did...just didn't think Jim's inventory was a good enough reason to not FULLY promote a 2012 lineup. I thought maybe he was just giving us the dealer's perspective.

The difference in regional peak boating season is probably the best argument he has. Don't start promoting the boats until all the dealers can actually sell what is being advertised. But holding off so a couple dealers can keep 2011 prices up, seems less than perfect.

curtish
08-11-2011, 05:38 PM
^FTW imho. Get the people excited and get them in the door. I'm seeing more moombas on the water every summer... all aboard the fail boats..

And you think it is because they hype their products better? Come on, we all know that is a price only based decision.

sand2snow22
08-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Probably sell a few more Moomba's in these economic times. MC going after the rich.

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Probably sell a few more Moomba's in these economic times. MC going after the rich.

+1 on that thought

scott023
08-11-2011, 06:07 PM

+2 on that thought.

aaron.
08-11-2011, 06:19 PM
And you think it is because they hype their products better? Come on, we all know that is a price only based decision.

no, i don't think that... just saying the excitement level for mastercrafts has definitely dropped sharply. In the past you'd rarely see anything in wisconsin besides MC's. people just aren't as pumped about them as they used to be. (Before you berate me for feeling this, just know that I am a life long mastercraft fan. This is just my pov)

that new supercharged power plant on the parks boat is sexy [i'm in love to say the least].... but seriously, in 2011, the only thing MC tooted it's horn about was the power-tower. Which is about as gay as sir elton john.

Just saying they could have spent less money developing 85 different 'X' series boats, and spent more funds on R&D actually designing something that will help wakeboarding evolve...instead all we got was a gimmik for parking a $130,000 boat into a tiny garage.

it frustrates me.

I really have high hopes that this year they are dropping something rad!! Fingers crossed.

sand2snow22
08-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Sir Elton...lol. Funny. Dropped x80 and csx's. Rumors of new prostar and xstar, so maybe they are listening, or going back to their roots of what made them successful!

no, i don't think that... just saying the excitement level for mastercrafts has definitely dropped sharply. In the past you'd rarely see anything in wisconsin besides MC's. people just aren't as pumped about them as they used to be. (Before you berate me for feeling this, just know that I am a life long mastercraft fan. This is just my pov)

that new supercharged power plant on the parks boat is sexy [i'm in love to say the least].... but seriously, in 2011, the only thing MC tooted it's horn about was the power-tower. Which is about as gay as sir elton john.

Just saying they could have spent less money developing 85 different 'X' series boats, and spent more funds on R&D actually designing something that will help wakeboarding evolve...instead all we got was a gimmik for parking a $130,000 boat into a tiny garage.

it frustrates me.

I really have high hopes that this year they are dropping something rad!! Fingers crossed.

x-swagger
08-11-2011, 07:14 PM
but seriously, in 2011, the only thing MC tooted it's horn about was the power-tower. Which is about as gay as sir elton john.

HAHAHAHA!!!

Nailed it, and yes with those cranks at Malibu churning out a picklefork boat, this "new x-star" better be out of control sick..

GregS
08-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Has anyone seen the new X-Star? I am surprised its not out yet...since they are selling other 2012 boats....lets see it. I have heard it was 24'...but thats it.

curtish
08-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Has anyone seen the new X-Star? I am surprised its not out yet...since they are selling other 2012 boats....lets see it. I have heard it was 24'...but thats it.

Uh, you are just a little late to the party. Read the last 190 posts.

captain planet
08-12-2011, 09:48 AM
HAHAHAHA!!!

Nailed it, and yes with those cranks at Malibu churning out a picklefork boat, this "new x-star" better be out of control sick..

Is that true? Really??! Ha, ha....that is funny. :purplaugh:purplaugh:uglyhamme

THAT is funny! If it is true, that might be the funniest thing I will read all day. I mean....I can see Tige and MB making a picklefork boat following MC. They are truly not in the same category as MC so you just shrug and accept it as a long shot to catch up. But for bu to do that with their status (which I don't understand) cracks me up. It is the same thing if Lexus made a carbon copy of something unique that Acura made.

I gotta go and find out if this is true.

Duane D
08-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Its true, Captain. They already have it on their website in the ispec (build your own) area. I think its called the MXS.

x-swagger
08-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Oh it's true, unless you think this doesnt look like an X-Star...

http://wakeboardingmag.com/boats/2011/08/08/sneak-peek-2012-malibu-wakesetter-mxz/6/

I'll admit that Bu's are great looking boats, with the traditional bow. I don't like this look for them, not as hideous as the B-52 Tomcat, but not sharp looking like other Bu's...

captain planet
08-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Its true, Captain. They already have it on their website in the ispec (build your own) area. I think its called the MXS.

I'm over there now.....I don't see it yet.

captain planet
08-12-2011, 10:03 AM
I got it..........

This is too funny. Talk about keeping up with the Jones's.

x-swagger
08-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Right?!?
I think Tige has the 1 up on Bu now as far as 2nd best picklefork...

captain planet
08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Right?!?
I think Tige has the 1 up on Bu now as far as 2nd best picklefork...

From the limited exposure I have of it right now, from a looks perspective you are right......and Tige doesn't have hollow stringers passed off as some type of ventilation system. :rolleyes:

FancySauceRules
08-12-2011, 11:10 AM
We live on one of the most popular wake boarding spots on the Willamette river in Oregon and watching the new boats this year has been interesting. The is no shortage of any brand, and the only real local dealer is Cobalt(used to be Malibu, but they are 15mins away now). Most new boats are Tige, MB and Moomba. I just saw a 2011 Mastercraft for the first time yesterday. Funny thing, I have never seen a rider behind an MB or Tige in my two years living here. But nearly all X-Stars that come by have a serious rider. The MB's and Tige's do have the loudest music though. I am also yet to see the wake on a Tige. They all come by at plowing speed.

ShawnB
08-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Malibu has had a picklefork for a while now with the Axis boats. Not really a surprise that they added one to the Mother Brand.

Eagle
08-12-2011, 04:49 PM

http://wakeboardingmag.com/boats/2011/08/08/sneak-peek-2012-malibu-wakesetter-mxz/6/

I'll admit that Bu's are great looking boats, with the traditional bow. I don't like this look for them, not as hideous as the B-52 Tomcat, but not sharp looking like other Bu's...

The Malibu tower (including on the MXZ) is gorgeous. Man, that is a nice looking tower.

BoulderX45
08-12-2011, 04:59 PM
The Supreme 226v has the second best pickle fork bow I've seen.

jdl xstar
08-16-2011, 03:47 PM

Not impressed at all with the looks of any malibu including this 2012 model. Funny that they are finally giving in to the market demand for a wider bow seating area.

Though, technically, a pickle fork has two points. Their 3 point fork looks lame in my opinion.

JulioX2
08-18-2011, 09:07 PM
I was told by my dealer that there will be a new X-star for 2012. It's gonna be a 24 ft. hull. His supervisor just got back from the Mastercraft factory.They are waiting for spec sheets on them. Gonna be priced around the $115K.

krutzmart
08-19-2011, 11:56 AM
I was told the same from a non local dealer.
New X star hull has been tested for some time now and even Rusty won't kill it fully loaded yet. (his exact words) ?
Now, I didn't take that last comment to heart cuz I bet Rusty can KILL any boat out there fully loaded but YES A NEW X STAR HULL for 2012.
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT. RIDE BEHIND ONE TOO.

03 35th Anniversary
08-19-2011, 12:07 PM
I was told by my dealer that there will be a new X-star for 2012. It's gonna be a 24 ft. hull. His supervisor just got back from the Mastercraft factory.They are waiting for spec sheets on them. Gonna be priced around the $115K.

I was told the same from a non local dealer.
New X star hull has been tested for some time now and even Rusty won't kill it fully loaded yet. (his exact words) ?
Now, I didn't take that last comment to heart cuz I bet Rusty can KILL any boat out there fully loaded but YES A NEW X STAR HULL for 2012.
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT. RIDE BEHIND ONE TOO.

You two better hush up before Jim@BAWS sees this and kicks y'all in the nuts for sharing proprietary information about MasterCraft that he has not released yet that he feels will affect his sales figures!!!

aaron.
08-19-2011, 12:24 PM
baws can suck it. freedom of speech. if these folks want 6-figure checks from us, they shouldn't be quick to snap at us (the fans, the club, the team, the owners)

=P

craig3972
08-19-2011, 12:59 PM
you could always run out and buy that new pickle fork Bu

c_hotshot
08-30-2011, 02:15 PM
bump....anything new on it? Did I miss it somewhere else?

Jim@BAWS
08-30-2011, 03:20 PM
You two better hush up before Jim@BAWS sees this and kicks y'all in the nuts for sharing proprietary information about MasterCraft that he has not released yet that he feels will affect his sales figures!!!

baws can suck it. freedom of speech. if these folks want 6-figure checks from us, they shouldn't be quick to snap at us (the fans, the club, the team, the owners)

=P

You guys crack me up!!! I don't control this website. Thanks for thinking of me though!!!

Jim@BAWS

Jim@BAWS
08-30-2011, 03:24 PM

Geno Yauchler...MC Team AIRCHAIR and Sponsored Bay Area WaterSports Rider!!

That shot was from STUNT JUNKIES!!!

Jim@BAWS

CantRepeat
08-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Geno Yauchler...MC Team AIRCHAIR and Sponsored Bay Area WaterSports Rider!!

That shot was from STUNT JUNKIES!!!

Jim@BAWS

I thought he signed a deal with Sky Ski now.

Jim@BAWS
08-30-2011, 03:34 PM
AIRCHAIR SKYSKI HYDROFOIL...one of those things!!!

Jim@BAWS

CantRepeat
08-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Jim@BAWS

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme :D

jwardenjr
08-30-2011, 03:43 PM

Jim@BAWS

in the Hydrofoil world that is a big deal ... its like saying Mastercraft Malibu Tige' one of those boats !

CantRepeat
08-30-2011, 03:48 PM
in the Hydrofoil world that is a big deal ... its like saying Mastercraft Malibu Tige' one of those boats !

And after looking both sites, air chair and Geno's, it seems he is back with Air Chair and making a modified AC version called the G38.

mrhays9
08-31-2011, 06:41 PM
Really someone needs to move this to Hydro-Foiling. Oh wait they don't have a thread for that because it not a sport if you sit down to do it.

I'm beginning to think things aren't looking good for the 2012 X Star I thought they would introduct it at the final PWT event.

Aric'sX15
08-31-2011, 07:18 PM
i just hope they test it to its people carrying capacity this time....or it may end up "defective"

MariStar-Man
09-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Not impressed at all with the looks of any malibu including this 2012 model. Funny that they are finally giving in to the market demand for a wider bow seating area.

Though, technically, a pickle fork has two points. Their 3 point fork looks lame in my opinion.

Haha the Three point fork looks like someone I remember when I was a child...

http://bat-mania.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/adamwest_batman.jpg

http://wakeboardingmag.com/files/2011/08/_dos4142-500x332.jpg

snowslider76
09-01-2011, 11:46 AM
If I was on the marketing team at MC and was going to debut a new boat, pretty sure I would do it at Surf Expo next weekend. Just saying.

aaron.
09-01-2011, 01:17 PM
^debut the king of 'wakeboard' boats at a surf expo......? god i hope not

ncsone
09-01-2011, 01:31 PM
^debut the king of 'wakeboard' boats at a surf expo......? god i hope not

Surf Expo is the annual wakeboard/waterski industry trade show. The other half of the convention center is surf. All I can say is it was one fun trade show back when I attended it.

snowslider76
09-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Surf expo is the biggest wakeboarding industry shindig. Someone on here should go and bring a camera, if I was in Orlando I'd be all over it.

DemolitionMan
09-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Surf expo is the biggest wakeboarding industry shindig. Someone on here should go and bring a camera, if I was in Orlando I'd be all over it.

That sucks, I will be in Orlando the week after.

ncsone
09-01-2011, 02:05 PM
It may have changed, but it used to be that Surf Expo was closed to the public. Only industry-associated attendees were allowed. It is where the wake/ski dealers preview/order the next years (2012 in the case) equipment/accessories.

Not saying that one could not get in, just that it used to not be an 'open to the public' event.

snowslider76
09-01-2011, 02:18 PM
It's still the same, you have to be a buyer to get in, or attend as a buyers guest and pay a fee.

jdl xstar
09-01-2011, 02:48 PM

I actually have an "in" for this event so i may go one of the days and snoop around. Went last year and, yes its a HUGE expo. Indoors skate park... giant indoor pools to showcase paddle boarding, etc. I don't remember any boats being there. As people have said, it isn't open to the general public so its mostly wholesale buyers and sellers of anything and everything relating to water and the outdoors in general. Usually has a swimsuit model show which always gets a good response.

Picture album from last years expo that some may like!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/beach/orl-2010-beach-fashion-surf-expo-pictures,0,4459186.photogallery

DemolitionMan
09-01-2011, 02:56 PM
I actually have an "in" for this event so i may go one of the days and snoop around. Went last year and, yes its a HUGE expo. Indoors skate park... giant indoor pools to showcase paddle boarding, etc. I don't remember any boats being there. As people have said, it isn't open to the general public so its mostly wholesale buyers and sellers of anything and everything relating to water and the outdoors in general. Usually has a swimsuit model show which always gets a good response.

Picture album from last years expo that some may like!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/beach/orl-2010-beach-fashion-surf-expo-pictures,0,4459186.photogallery

Mc and BU are both listed.

jdl xstar
09-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Mc and BU are both listed.

Interesting... Now i may definitely check it out and report back!

jdl xstar
09-01-2011, 03:14 PM
More I think about... i'd be very surprised if they chose this event to debut the new xstar. I would think something as big as a new xstar look/hull would warrant a debut at a major boat show which is what they did with the 300. Most of the crowd at the surf expo are retailers and vendors.

snowslider76
09-01-2011, 03:15 PM
If you can go please do, I think everyone on this thread will be stoked on your report back. I've heard big, although unverified rumors.;)

JLowder
09-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Come on guys, I know somebody reading this has got to know about the new Star. Shed some light on when it due out. Post some bootleg pics. Anything...

brat
09-02-2011, 04:53 PM
They oughta scrap all the big wake boats and maybe everybody would start skiing again....

scott023
09-02-2011, 04:56 PM
They oughta scrap all the big wake boats and maybe everybody would start skiing again....

Great idea. Then their sales would really hit rock bottom. :confused::confused::rolleyes:

DemolitionMan
09-08-2011, 10:59 AM
So MC is going to unveil there new boat tomorrow any ideas?

x-swagger
09-08-2011, 11:00 AM
http://www.facebook.com/MCBoatCompany?sk=wall&filter=2

MC's Facebook page will be showing an all new boat tomorrow at 10:00am. Everyone is guessing either X-Star or X-65.
Any of you old guys on Facebook? They want to get 10K likes before they do it, get on there and click like!
Either way, I'm freaking pumped to see it, hell of a good start to a Friday.

Quinten
09-08-2011, 01:11 PM
I already like mastercrafts fan page.

I heard from a dealer that the x-star is going to be a 24 ft boat.
I thinks this is to big, you need to much weight and to much fuel.

MariStar-Man
09-08-2011, 01:17 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_G50NIxnjRO8/SrgxmzkeWII/AAAAAAAAEqk/Y6pE6U84Dr0/s400/Globe+Mastercraft+boat.jpg

vision
09-08-2011, 02:24 PM
I think MC has hired an Apple marketing exec. Wow them, keep them in suspense, make an innovative product, and you can achieve high margins.

TN X-45
09-08-2011, 03:25 PM
X-Star Preview

Stritt
09-08-2011, 07:26 PM
https://sirlinenterprises.com/news/sirlin-enterprises-surf-expo-2011

3event
09-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Well , it does indeed say XStar all over the box. I agree on the marketing angle being good , although I am not sure if they pushed it enough to go viral. Have to check a couple other boards and find out.

bjames
09-08-2011, 08:38 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

TN X-45
09-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Who is guessing wrap like the Parks Edition??

DemolitionMan
09-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Who is guessing wrap like the Parks Edition??

For some reason I am thinking stars and stripes theme.

MIskier
09-08-2011, 11:02 PM
None of the above :D:D:D

vision
09-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Think dedication to the folks who led to the creation of the new wonder...

MIskier
09-09-2011, 12:20 AM
I cant wait to see everyone's reactions I've been waiting for to be able to tell people about this for nearly two years!! Your mind will be blown I hope!

ShawnB
09-09-2011, 12:59 AM
I cant wait to see everyone's reactions I've been waiting for to be able to tell people about this for nearly two years!! Your mind will be blown I hope!

I hope to see MISkier's name on that wrap somewhere :D