View Full Version : Water pump issue

Desert eagle
12-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Does anyone know how the heck to remove this style of hose clamp so that when the time comes I can change my impeller on the water pump? Looks like it might take a special tool. By the way you are looking at a 2011 Ilmor 5.7 sitting in a X-25.

12-19-2010, 10:14 PM
It's called an Oetiker clamp. They do make special tools to remove them so that you can reuse them, or you could attempt to do it with some regular pliers. I usually end up getting frustrated and cutting them off with some snips.

Desert eagle
12-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks dirtk38, I figured thats what will happen when the time comes. I was draining the water from the engine and noticed that the fitting coming off the back will have to be removed to just take the cover off the pump.

12-20-2010, 08:22 AM
I've never had luck with those clamps and have ended up cutting them off. Then again I haven't invested in the clamp tool that you should have to work with these clamps. Really don't want to buy/carry a special tool just for hose clamps either. If it looks like something you may need to get at later you may want to replace them now or buy the tool. I found this site that explains the clamp pretty well....


I think I'll stay with my SS screw clamps that are reusable for now.

You have to wonder why they use a mix of clamps. You'd tend to think they'd use one type or the other. While this wouldn't be a big issue at the dealer most owners won't have the required tool or replacement clamps on hand if this needed to be removed at the lake. Not really a big deal but this might be one of those early production issues that should be looked at to improve serviceability.

12-20-2010, 11:44 AM
The only reason to use one of those clamps is if you think you should never remove that hose. IMHO.

12-20-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't know what that hose supplies, but it looks like the impeller cover comes off and that hose stays attached to it. Meaning, you wouldn't have to take that hose off of the fitting, just remove the cover like normal???? Unless of course it's blocking one of the screws to the cover and the hose can't be pushed to the side to get to the screw, but I can't tell that from the picture.

12-20-2010, 11:23 PM
As dirtk says it is a Oetiker Clamp---That was the name of the inventor. They are a little tough to come by. I have to tool to Install them. I take the tab with a pliers and twist to remove them--it breaks them. Replace with a Stainless Steel hose clamp. They are very efficient but somewhat "overkill"
BTW---I notice yours are initially adjustable. Most are sized to hose ID and solid but no matter.

They are really cool to use on things where there is no room for error---Like Fuel. THEY are NOT! reusable.