PDA

View Full Version : Slowly detailing the motor...

ctjahn
12-19-2010, 07:33 PM
1978 S&S MC PCM

Slowly detailing motor and doing some much needed maintenance... (hoses and other stuff was orig from 1978 even though the motor was rebuilt)

Just a few hours every weekend.... Cleaning, new hoses (in progress - match the green boat color), powdercoat, paint, plugs, impeller, belts, etc...

Next up valve covers, valve cover gaskets, intake gasket, carb gasket, air cleaner, carb, distributor, cap, rotor, wires, etc...

Cj

DemolitionMan
12-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Great project. If you need any ideas check out my restoration. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38619

thatsmrmastercraft
12-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Just don't combine the green and yellow. You get ugly results. :D

Looking good. I sure need to do the hoses on mine.

DemolitionMan
12-19-2010, 09:26 PM

You would use purple and gold.:D

thatsmrmastercraft
12-19-2010, 09:28 PM
You would use purple and gold.:D

I'm a die hard fan, and I still wouldn't. Especially this year.

ctjahn
12-19-2010, 09:32 PM

Thanks...

Funny you mention the green and yellow... I have been looking for a nice set of marine plug wires in GREEN. (otherwise, I guess I will just go with black).

In the meantime I am waiting for the 1 3/4" hose...

cj

thatsmrmastercraft
12-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks...

Funny you mention the green and yellow... I have been looking for a nice set of marine plug wires in GREEN. (otherwise, I guess I will just go with black).

In the meantime I am waiting for the 1 3/4" hose...

cj

I sold auto and marine aftermarket accessories for a bunch of years. I don't remember if there are any good green wires available. If my memory kicks in with something I will let you know.

DemolitionMan
12-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Found these on Summit racing.

ctjahn
12-20-2010, 05:17 AM
Not to shabby! I will check them out. I did read from EastTx (?) that the Alternator, starter, and etc are specific to marine applications because they are sealed, which makes sense, but I didnt even think of it.). The plug wires say marine grade but does that matter?

HOWEVER, for those who havent done the hoses yet, a metal chop saw makes easy work of it with nice clean cuts. AND FAST. Definately made quick work of the project. I am very happy I had one and for those who dont, its worth renting from the local hardware store...

Cj

Mgboyd25
12-22-2010, 04:54 PM
What type of cleaning products are you using to detail that motor? I wanted to dress mine up a bit this winter also....

ctjahn
12-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Well, I have used a lot of products.

Started with an old wire brush. Then degreaser (just Purple Power) followed by some brake cleaner and a bit of Mineral Spirits. Mostly, thought, just a lot of elbow grease. With a pile of used rags under everything to ensure it doesnt leech into the hull.

Once I got everything clean, I used a more harsh metal brush to remove any scale and rust. On the hot parts I used a high gloss, high temp, enamel paint. Other places I used a normal paint.

If I had more time I would tear it apart, blast the parts in my cabinet, and powder coat everything. I planned on doing just a little bit every winter to make it more reliable and didnt intend on detailing the motor this winter but I couldnt deal with it as I was replacing the hoses...so its good enough for now (and in most cases most people will not see it anyways.)

cj

DemolitionMan
12-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Not to shabby! I will check them out. I did read from EastTx (?) that the Alternator, starter, and etc are specific to marine applications because they are sealed, which makes sense, but I didnt even think of it.). The plug wires say marine grade but does that matter?

HOWEVER, for those who havent done the hoses yet, a metal chop saw makes easy work of it with nice clean cuts. AND FAST. Definately made quick work of the project. I am very happy I had one and for those who dont, its worth renting from the local hardware store...

Cj

I don't think that it matters. I had MSD wires on mine.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-23-2010, 12:21 AM
I don't think that it matters. I had MSD wires on mine.

Plug wires are plug wires. In a marine environment, cheap wires show up faster where corrosion can occur between wire and connector. Good wires will last much longer and be sure to use a liberal amount of dielectric grease on both ends of the wire to inhibit that corrosion.

ctjahn
12-23-2010, 05:23 AM
Thanks Guys.

I can tell you that the plugs did have some minor corrosion on them but nothing that bad..(less than some cars I have seen) .Came out with ease (thought it would be a hellofa project.). But the wires and connectors have no evidence of corrosion. (which is nice) Pretty old plug wires but marine grade....

The last hose parts (1 3/4) arrived yesterday, with my new fake lake, so I hope to finish plumming this weekend. If santa comes early my new valve covers will be at work today...

cj

ctjahn
12-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Hoses done (finally), New valve covers & valve cover gaskets. Next up air cleaner, and more detailing... Once I test it, as is, I will start rewire... And while waiting for parts, I intend on working on the drivers seat.

Seeeeya!
cj

thatsmrmastercraft
12-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Looking good.:cool:

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
12-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Might want to clear coat your rocker covers so they dont start to corrode, (if the covers are aluminum) I replaced my rocker covers and within a few months mine started to corrode.

ctjahn
01-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Got the new air cleaner on (matches the valve covers). Next comes the fuel line. (Havent figured out how yet)

It was warmer this weekend (20 today with no snow); So I rebuilt my drivers seat too with new wood...

Good call on the clear coat. Was yours in salt?

Seeeeeeeya
Cj

ctjahn
01-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Pics of progress

rjracin240
01-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Sweet looking motor, can you add some pic's and narration on the work you are doing to the drivers seat?

ctjahn
01-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Thx Rj

I basically removed the seat from the boat, took the seat apart, pulled out all the staples, removed the wood (very soft but mostly in one piece), created new templates, transferred the templates to new wood, cut out the wood and reassembled. THe material/vinyl/etc was still pretty good.

Unfortinately I didnt take pictures of the whole process. I can take some after pictures though. (Seat isnt reinstalled yet because I plan on rewiring if time permits but I have a lot of winter projects and the prop, and some other stuff take priority)

Cj

thatsmrmastercraft
01-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Got the new air cleaner on (matches the valve covers). Next comes the fuel line. (Havent figured out how yet)

It was warmer this weekend (20 today with no snow); So I rebuilt my drivers seat too with new wood...

Seeeeeeeya
Cj

Great looking air cleaner - is that a Coast Guard Certified set-up? Looks like a paper element.

ctjahn
01-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Good question. Never heard of such thing....
I dont see it in my rulebook.
cj

trickskier
01-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Nice Job!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
01-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Good question. Never heard of such thing....
I dont see it in my rulebook.
cj

From the Minnesota Boating Regulations: FLAME ARRESTORS: Gasoline engines, other than outboard motors, must be equipped with a U.S. Coast Guard approved backfire flame arrestor on the carburetor.

From the U.S. Coast Code of Federal Regulations Backfire flame control: 46 CFR 25.35

Subpart 25.35—Backfire Flame Control

(a) Every gasoline engine installed in a motorboat or motor vessel after April 25, 1940, except outboard motors, shall be equipped with an acceptable means of backfire flame control.

(b) Installations made before November 19, 1952, need not meet the detailed requirements of this subpart and may be continued in use as long as they are serviceable and in good condition. Replacements shall meet the applicable conditions in this section.

(c) Installations consisting of backfire flame arresters bearing basic Approval Nos. 162.015 or 162.041 or engine air and fuel induction systems bearing basic Approval Nos. 162.015 or 162.042 may be continued in use as long as they are serviceable and in good condition. New installations or replacements must meet applicable requirements of subpart 58.10 of this chapter.

[CGFR 65–50, 30 FR 16653, Dec. 30, 1965, as amended by CGD 88–032, 56 FR 35820, July 29, 1991]

The USCG now accepts flame arrestors complying with Underwriters Laboratories Standard 1111 or Society of Automotive Engineers J1928.

A few sources for approved flame arrestors:

http://www.knfilters.com/marine/boats.htm

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=flamearrgaffrig

http://www.monstermarinestore.com/prodlist.cfm?categoryID=29

http://www.mallory-marine.com/ProductsListByMinID.aspx?minID=9902&majID=975&selection=&minselection=75

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-02-2011, 01:25 PM

No fresh water only, just from being in moisture enviroment

milkmania
01-02-2011, 10:36 PM
is that a plastic PVC water fitting???

thatsmrmastercraft
01-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Made out of nylon. Temps are low enough that they work just fine.

ctjahn
01-03-2011, 09:00 AM
is that a plastic PVC water fitting???

I questioned it too! But thats the way it came and its been there for quite some time...

Cj

ctjahn
01-06-2011, 09:09 PM
So, I swapped the plugs with what was in it with an 035 gap.
Today on Ebay I saw marine grade plugs. The ones I used are not marine grade...
Thoughts? Does it matter? Old ones were ok!

Cj

thatsmrmastercraft
01-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Marine plugs will last longer before corrosion sets in. I change my plugs every year, and my boat never goes more than a few days without use. It doesn't seem worthwhile to me to spend the extra on the marine plugs. If you run the same plugs for years, then I would go with the marine plugs for sure.

ctjahn
01-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Marine plugs will last longer before corrosion sets in. I change my plugs every year, and my boat never goes more than a few days without use. It doesn't seem worthwhile to me to spend the extra on the marine plugs. If you run the same plugs for years, then I would go with the marine plugs for sure.

Thanks thatsmrmastercraft. With as easy as it is, I might as well do it every year. Only costs 12 bucks or so and its not like changing on an 84 van...

Cj

thatsmrmastercraft
01-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks thatsmrmastercraft. With as easy as it is, I might as well do it every year. Only costs 12 bucks or so and its not like changing on an 84 van...

Cj

I start mine up in the spring on last years plugs (which got fogged) in the driveway, then install the new set before the first splash of the year.

Was a drivability tech at a Ford Dealership from 84 - 90 so I know exactly what you are talking about.

ctjahn
01-22-2011, 01:27 PM
New Fuel Lines and fiters went in today. A bit of a bugger due to the old clamps used to hold it in place against a stringer....but one more off the list. Next is to order the switches/fuse pannel and start the rewire....

cj