PDA

View Full Version : Prop Replacement 78 S&S

ctjahn
12-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Ok, this has been covered but I cant find a thread for a 78 S&S prop removal. I need to get it refurbished (it has a small bend in it from the prior owner). Lots of threads but nothing about the era of my boat. (if I missed it feel free to point me in that direction.)

I will get a prop puller but I dont know which one to buy. Doesnt say the type/brand on the prop. Shaft is a 1". Does it matter if I buy the OJ or the ARE puller? Looks like the prior owner used a stainless cotter pin and nut.

And can you just put it in gear and use a wrench to pull the nut? It looks like I can leave the rudder on (based upon prior posts) but...hard to see.

THanks for your help
Cj

Cloaked
12-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Ok, this has been covered but I cant find a thread for a 78 S&S prop removal. I need to get it refurbished (it has a small bend in it from the prior owner). Lots of threads but nothing about the era of my boat. (if I missed it feel free to point me in that direction.)

I will get a prop puller but I dont know which one to buy. Doesnt say the type/brand on the prop. Shaft is a 1". Does it matter if I buy the OJ or the ARE puller? Looks like the prior owner used a stainless cotter pin and nut.

And can you just put it in gear and use a wrench to pull the nut? It looks like I can leave the rudder on (based upon prior posts) but...hard to see.

THanks for your help
CjThe ARE will work for either size shaft. Prop brand is irrelevant.

For reference ==> http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=IRONMAN1.0

1redTA
12-23-2010, 11:55 AM
I used a 2x4 and persuaded the prop on my 81 just made sure to hit the "4 corners" equally

ctjahn
01-12-2011, 05:15 AM
Got er off last weekend...
Wife is taking to the prop shop today.
BUT I want to replace the nylock nut and cotter pin.
Stainless hardware? From the hardware store or a shop?
Cj

03geetee
01-12-2011, 05:56 AM
Skidim.com they have the right stuff.

JTR

thatsmrmastercraft
01-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Skidim is a great source for that, however you can get both the locknut and cotter pin at a good hardware store. Don't forget your local Mastercraft Dealer. They will (should) have those in stock and an opportunity to drool over the new stock makes a good outing, assuming your dealer is close to home.

ctjahn
01-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Ordered today from SKIDIM... I figured what the heck and got some other fun stuff too...
I ended up ordering the BRASS nut..although I think Stainless is on it now... Do you use BRASS nuts or STAINLESS... (that is a subtle sick attempt at humor at the same time as asking a real question...)

thatsmrmastercraft
01-12-2011, 03:31 PM
When I got my boat it had all new running gear with a stainless fasteners. Dodged that one.:D

ctjahn
05-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Ok, finally got the prop back but its been months since it has been at the prop shop. When I took it off the orientation appeared obvious; now not so much. It is a 13x14 cup; with stampings on one side and a small ridge on the other side.

so.....

do the stampings typically go towards the nut?:confused:

thanks in advance.
Cj

Update: Disregard.... Only goes on one way. Duh

Philscbx
05-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Update: Disregard.... Only goes on one way. DuhHowdy, I have the same ship, but haven't done this chore yet.
If I had to guess, with 1 being the thrust side to the rear,
isn't the prop hub keyed & tapered also?

For curiosity, what did the dig cost to get out of the prop.
Usually if the ding is minor, I dolly it out invisible with dual hammers.

ctjahn
05-05-2011, 08:44 PM
I just bought the boat in late fall (and only got it out a couple times) The trailer didnt have a prop protector so (now it does) It appeared it was a dinged from tipping the boat back at an angle by the prior owner based upon the bend and shape. Prop also had some minor other issues too... I had it done local by a place I have used since I was 12 (now under new ownership). Cost $140 +/- which I guess isnt that bad. Its really nice now.

I have done a lot of metal work in the past with aluminum and considered doing it myself, but I am not really experienced with brass, so I figured I would have an expert do it rather than risking the worst case scenario. Someday I will get a new prop and this will be the spare....

Shaft does have a taper so it does only go on one way. When I took it off I did buy a new key, nut, and stainless pin, so hopefully it should go on smooth this weekend. Need to get it ready for summer/spring on vacation in Tomahawk Wisconsin (Mid-June). Hopefully we will have better weather than last August (60s and 70s with mostly cloudy and rain 5 out of 7 days).

Anyone use anti seize on the prop or key?

Cj

cbryan70
05-05-2011, 09:51 PM
I just bought the boat in late fall (and only got it out a couple times) The trailer didnt have a prop protector so (now it does) It appeared it was a dinged from tipping the boat back at an angle by the prior owner based upon the bend and shape. Prop also had some minor other issues too... I had it done local by a place I have used since I was 12 (now under new ownership). Cost $140 +/- which I guess isnt that bad. Its really nice now.

I have done a lot of metal work in the past with aluminum and considered doing it myself, but I am not really experienced with brass, so I figured I would have an expert do it rather than risking the worst case scenario. Someday I will get a new prop and this will be the spare....

Shaft does have a taper so it does only go on one way. When I took it off I did buy a new key, nut, and stainless pin, so hopefully it should go on smooth this weekend. Need to get it ready for summer/spring on vacation in Tomahawk Wisconsin (Mid-June). Hopefully we will have better weather than last August (60s and 70s with mostly cloudy and rain 5 out of 7 days).

Anyone use anti seize on the prop or key?

Cj

Can you post some picture of the prop guard? I am in need of one on my 78 as well.

ctjahn
05-06-2011, 05:07 AM
Can you post some picture of the prop guard? I am in need of one on my 78 as well.

You bet! The thread is here: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=37723&highlight=prop+guard

I am happy with the new bow mount and winch mount but not satisfied with the prop guard yet (which is why the trailer isnt repainted yet along with the other stuff I am doing.) I may redo it in the future to match the shape of the trailer and add some fore/aft bracing. Right now it is designed to protect the prop but break off in a BIG impact.

Cj