PDA

View Full Version : Siphoning gas

BHT
12-18-2010, 01:50 AM
Trying to siphon gas out of my 07 X1 and unable to get the 1/2 inch tubing in to the fuel tank. I insert the tubing through the filler neck and and at about 3/4 of the way to the tank I can't get it any further to the tank. Any chance is there some type of baffle that is keeping the tubing from getting all the way to the tank?

Maristar210
12-18-2010, 02:54 AM
Pull the center back seat and remove the fill hose that comes in from the side of the boat. Probably easier to control by seeing the gas come up the line. I hate siphoning gas but have done it a bunch, good luck

Jerseydave
12-18-2010, 06:44 PM
http://www.baproducts.com/siphon.htm

I used the super siphon on my xstar but at first it would catch where the large hose is connected to the plastic part of the tank. I had to wiggle it while pushing it in until it dropped to the bottom of the tank itself. As said before you may have to remove the clamp from the large hose that connects to the tank and siphon it from there.

cf_koch
12-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Have you pulled one of the fuel filler hoses at the tank then inserting a fuel line hose that reaches the bottom of the tank connected to an inexpensive aftermarket electric fuel pump. I've used this system and it has worked well over the years. I got my pump from a neighbor who took it off of a Chevelle they were restoring. Turns out to be a fast, inexpensive and safe way to drain a fuel tank.

Luv2Ski
12-20-2010, 10:20 AM
What if you just unhook the fuel line near the engine, stick it in a fuel can, turn the key to the on position, and use the OEM pump to empty the tank? Have done this with great success in a car, but I know there are some sensitive pumps on certain MCs.

east tx skier
12-20-2010, 11:12 AM
What if you just unhook the fuel line near the engine, stick it in a fuel can, turn the key to the on position, and use the OEM pump to empty the tank? Have done this with great success in a car, but I know there are some sensitive pumps on certain MCs.

I would not think draining the gas tank would be recommended with the OEM fuel pump on an 07 MC. :o

vision
12-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I would not think draining the gas tank would be recommended with the OEM fuel pump on an 07 MC. :o

Exactly what I was thinking. I will show my ignorance and ask why you are draining the gas? Is it just a distrust for the ability of a good stabilizer to keep the moisture in the gas to a minimum?

ski_king
12-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Some indoor storage places require you to have less than 10 gallons or 1/2 tank, whichever is less in your tank.

vision
12-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Some indoor storage places require you to have less than 10 gallons or 1/2 tank, whichever is less in your tank.

Thanks. That makes sense.

eurosysytem0
12-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Interesting that people think a half empty tank is safer than a full tank. In aerospace a completely full tank is always considered safer. The danger is fuel vapour igniting the liquid fuel is much safer. Consequently, full tank no vapour.

BHT
12-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. The reason for draining the fuel is I got to busy at the end of the season and forgot to put stabilizer in. I'll put the siphoned fuel in the cars and use it up while adding new fuel and stabilizer to the boat for the rest of the winter. (also changing the fuel filter)