PDA

View Full Version : New Slalom Ski

mess33
12-13-2010, 01:10 PM
I need to upgrade my sons slalom ski and would like some opinions. He is strictly a free skier. There is one course on our lake but it is installed by a local boys camp. They do not seem to care if we run it but it is not ours. My son is a fairly decent skier. He is between 5'11" and 6' tall and weighs about 175 pounds. Good physical condition. Football player.

He learned on a Connelly Pilot which I picked up several years ago. I should have picked up a new ski a year or 2 ago but never got around to it. By the way this forum recommended the Pilot and it was perfect for all my kids.

Any suggestions for the next step?

mess

broncotw
12-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I have 2 Connelly Concepts... One from the mid 90's and a new one I purchased last year.... IMO it's a GREAT ski because you can get really aggressive on it and also because it's VERY forgiving.....

I think it would be a great choice for your son....

corey
12-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Agreed with the Concept, its a proven performer that will be a great ski in open water and also for some course work should you guys ever see one or want to take it up. Plus Connelly's got some pretty decent boots now too. I was never a fan of there mid to late 90's boots but there new stuff is really good. I know looks shouldn't matter but I think this is just a good looking ski!!!

The other ski I really like for your son would be the H.O. Sports CDX, its a bit softer than the original version as they removed the aluminum top sheet, but that just made an already forgiving ski even more so.

Hollywood
12-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Ha, I was going to say Concept as well. Legendary ski. I've had and have a CDX and it can wheel but I've been wanting to get a Concept for a while now.

mess33
12-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys. I will start researching the Concept. Any more feedback would be appreciated.

Mess

fstaslp
12-13-2010, 06:14 PM
I will throw in another vote for the Concept. I have an f3 and I love it.

Mgboyd25
12-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Not to jump on the band wagon but my first slalom ski was a Connelly f1-x which I believe is very similar to a concept. It was a great ski for free skiing and early entry into the slalom course (28-30 mph) I would call overtons/barts to see if they have any over stock from last year or see if you can find someone at Connelly that can hook you up with some over stock or even a demo ski. Just a few ways you can save money and still have a brand new ski.

D3skier
12-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Not to jump on the band wagon but my first slalom ski was a Connelly f1-x which I believe is very similar to a concept. It was a great ski for free skiing and early entry into the slalom course (28-30 mph) I would call overtons/barts to see if they have any over stock from last year or see if you can find someone at Connelly that can hook you up with some over stock or even a demo ski. Just a few ways you can save money and still have a brand new ski.

I second the F1X as well

chippy1971
12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
I think these guys are all living in the past.

HO A2 or the Radar Stratus or maybe the top of the line Obrien ski.

It will all depend on what you are trying to do and how aggressive you want to be on the water.

Ben
12-13-2010, 08:52 PM
I was considering the F1X for myself this year, and ended up with a closeout older obrien sixam 2 point. It is a wider version of the Sixam - which at one point was either the top or close to it ski. I was told it would be much faster and lighter than the F1X. I am very happy with it, it is very fast and seems good to control. This was my 4th ski to buy from wileys, 3rd for me (wife has one too). Very happy with them as well, especially their boots. Just need to wait out the shipping unless you pay premium (not my style).

Side note - this ski, along with many other slalom skis are meant for turning and cutting, not as much for just riding behind the boat, something to keep in mind.

http://www.wileyski.com/shopproductdetail.asp?prodID=4407&catID=24

mccobmd
12-13-2010, 11:07 PM
to the OP, I have a connelly pilot and my wife wanted a better faster ski, went with an HO nitro that as someone said is a little aggressive, Some of those above are made to live on an edge and not to hold a stable line, I am looking also and think i will try to get a ski that isn't made for the course because my turning ability certainly is not.

DeVrieski
12-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Best thing to do is have your son test a couple of skis out. I went through this process this fall. I went with the HO A2 but really liked the A1 as well. I didn't care for the Radar Strada as much. I would also consider the HO Coefficient XS. This has gotten some really good ratings on ski forums.

bturner2
12-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Not being a course skier anymore I wanted to move down the performance scale a bit and picked up a Connelly Concept about 2 years ago. I've found it to be a very easy ski to ride that doesn't have to be in glass water to track and as others have stated very forgiving. I went with the double Sidewinder boots and have found them to be some of the most comfortable and easy to get on slalom bindings I've owned. They are as with most high end bindings not cheap. You should be able to find one of these skis in a previous model year pretty cheap if you search around a bit.

I'm sure there are higher performance skis out there but you'd be hard pressed to find a better transition ski on the market. Newer doesn't always mean better and there's a reason it's been in their line up for so long.

Skipper
12-14-2010, 08:56 AM
I have used the Connelly Concept and the Connelly F1X. Both good enough skis for what you describe. But I recommend the D3 X3. The D3 skis are very forgiving yet very capable. The X3 is in the same price range as those other skis.

mess33
12-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Wow thanks for all the info. The Concept seems to be the concesus so far. I am going to stop in our local shop and see what they have. I did see a demo online and it had a flex factor of 5. Can you buy them with different stiffness ratings? I was not aware of that.

Mess

mess33
01-14-2011, 03:40 PM
I am trying to determine which binding now. I think he wants an rtp for the rear. Any suggestions for the front?

bturner2
01-15-2011, 09:38 AM
I did fastbacks front and rear. Easy to get in and out of and pretty comfortable. I will say though that you're locked in for the ride, they won't come. Don't know if that's good or bad.

maxpower220
01-15-2011, 09:29 PM
I ski on a Nitro with Fastback front and rear. Love that ski, it "fits" me perfectly for skiing. I had a Concept and an F1, I didn't care for either of those skis. My wife has a Connelly FX, which is a shaped ski. It's easy to get up, helps you carve, and lets you ski at a slower speed. It is course capable and it inspires confidence.

DeVrieski
01-16-2011, 12:32 AM
I went with Wiley's ski bindings (Pro Highwrap) front with an HO RTP. They are less expensive than a lot of the competition and supposedly hold up really well. (haven't had them long enough to test this)

2gofaster
01-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Were it me, I would look to skis like the Radar Senate C or HO Coefficient X/S. Both are very stable platforms to hone your skills on and can carry a person easily into 35 off. But yet they are also a perfect ski for someone at 32mph 15 off. In the winter, I ditch my $2000 Obrien Elite for a Senate C, slow the boat down 2mph, and it allows me to work on my form without beating me up.