PDA

View Full Version : 2000 toyota 4runner help please

ttu
12-12-2010, 09:28 PM
guys, got a call from my son as he got off work that his 4runner sounded like crap. well went up to his work and it sounds like a 76 chevy with glass pipes. the exhaust sound seem to be in front of the firewall.

any ideas before i take it to the toyota dealership in the morning. it has 106K miles and is a V6 4wd.

thanks for any input.

vision
12-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Running normal besides being loud?

gts-20
12-13-2010, 01:45 AM
guys, got a call from my son as he got off work that his 4runner sounded like crap. well went up to his work and it sounds like a 76 chevy with glass pipes. the exhaust sound seem to be in front of the firewall.

any ideas before i take it to the toyota dealership in the morning. it has 106K miles and is a V6 4wd.

thanks for any input.

Sounds like someone borrowed your cat converters without asking. I work for a Toyota dealer here in Houston and we have seen this happen to dozens of people in the last year or so, mainly to Tundras, 4runners, and Tacomas.

gotta_ski
12-13-2010, 07:03 AM
It could be the bolts holding the exhaust pipe to the exhaust header worked loose over the years or rusted away and gave out. It happened to me on my jeep. I think one was missing for awhile and the other gave way one day, sounding just as loud as you described. Stick you head under there with a flashlight and follow the pipe. Might be easier to start at the back if you're not sure what you're looking at.

ttu
12-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Sounds like someone borrowed your cat converters without asking. I work for a Toyota dealer here in Houston and we have seen this happen to dozens of people in the last year or so, mainly to Tundras, 4runners, and Tacomas.

ding ding ding! you are the winner. yep they cut that damm thing off.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-13-2010, 11:05 AM
For all the work involved in cutting the cat off, you would think it would just be simpler to get a job.

gts-20
12-13-2010, 11:46 AM
ding ding ding! you are the winner. yep they cut that damm thing off.

Man I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks! I hate freakin' theives! Like I said, I work in Toyota wholesale parts, call me if I can help 1-800-327-2087, ask for Michael. I'll try to get the parts for you at a discount. The oem cats are very exspensive. They retail for between 970.41-1719.83. Aftermarket cats are much cheaper, but make sure that you get something in writing stating that they will pass emissions.

ttu
12-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Man I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks! I hate freakin' theives! Like I said, I work in Toyota wholesale parts, call me if I can help 1-800-327-2087, ask for Michael. I'll try to get the parts for you at a discount. The oem cats are very exspensive. They retail for between 970.41-1719.83. Aftermarket cats are much cheaper, but make sure that you get something in writing stating that they will pass emissions.

thanks for your help. i am good friends with everyone up at jim norton toyota here in tulsa. they had 3 stolen over the weekend. the service manager set me up with his muffler guy who does there work. they can put in a aftermarket one that does pass emissions for around $600.00 since they also cut the o 2 sensor off also.

JMann
12-13-2010, 12:57 PM
That happened to a friend of mine here last week but they just unbolted it. I guess it's 6 bolts and gone? He had the muffler guy weld on the new one so it wouldn't be as easy to steal.

gts-20
12-13-2010, 01:33 PM
They hit our dealership for 19 brand new Tundras in one night earlier this year. They used cordless sawzalls. The police got a tip from a scrap yard, brought the cats back to our dealership, matched up the cut angles to the trucks we had sitting waiting for new pipes to come in, and then arrested a gang of 12 theives. After an investigation, the police found out that they had hit 6 other dealers in our area, and several out of town dealers. In total, the police estimated that the group had stollen cats from over a hundred trucks!!!!

Sodar
12-13-2010, 01:39 PM
What do CATs have in them that make scrap value so high? How much $$$$ does a thief get out of a CAT?

scott023
12-13-2010, 01:42 PM

Holy lick. Who would've thought they would cost that much??? :eek:

gts-20
12-13-2010, 01:48 PM
What do CATs have in them that make scrap value so high? How much $$$$ does a thief get out of a CAT?

The police here said that the thieves were getting $200-$250 ea. for the stollen cats. Since then, Houston has passed a local law making the scrap yards get valid drivers licenses from the scrappers, and can only issue payment in the form of a check. Also, I think the amount that can be paid out for a scrap converter has been reduced to like $25-$50 ea.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-13-2010, 01:48 PM

The catalyst itself is most often a precious metal. Platinum is the most active catalyst and is widely used. It is not suitable for all applications, however, because of unwanted additional reactions and/or cost. Palladium and rhodium are two other precious metals used. Platinum and rhodium are used as a reduction catalyst, while platinum and palladium are used as an oxidization catalyst. Cerium, iron, manganese and nickel are also used.

ttu
12-13-2010, 01:49 PM

from what the detective told me they contain platinum.:mad:

Jorski
12-13-2010, 01:51 PM
They contain Platinum. (Some use palladium as an alternative).

Edit: Oops...you got it !

gts-20
12-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Holy lick. Who would've thought they would cost that much??? :eek:

That is retail. Pure dealer cost is between $636-$1128 for that year model 4runner. Some of the new Tundra cats retail for over $2000.00

thatsmrmastercraft
12-13-2010, 01:54 PM
At the scrap yard, CATs go for up to $250. And here I thought cats were only good foe kicking. :D

ttu
12-13-2010, 01:55 PM
That is retail. Pure dealer cost is between $636-$1128 for that year model 4runner. Some of the new Tundra cats retail for over $2000.00

that price for the tundra was what i was worried about with my 08 sequoia. cam, park your tundra in a safe place.

Sodar
12-13-2010, 01:58 PM
that price for the tundra was what i was worried about with my 08 sequoia. cam, park your tundra in a safe place.

Garage or 10 feet outside my office window. I am safe! :D

2whlin
12-13-2010, 02:03 PM
I have a 1996 4Runner and they cut mine from my driveway last year. I went with aftermarket converter and now my 02 sensor misreads so my engine light is alway's on!!!!

scott023
12-13-2010, 02:15 PM

Wow. Another good reason to buy North American. ;)

gts-20
12-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Wow. Another good reason to buy North American. ;)

The Tundras and Sequoias are made only in San Antonio, Texas..with the majority of the parts coming from manufactures in the US. They are as North American as any Ford, Dodge or Chevy truck.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-13-2010, 03:26 PM
The Tundras and Sequoias are made only in San Antonio, Texas..with the majority of the parts coming from manufactures in the US. They are as North American as any Ford, Dodge or Chevy truck.

Where they are manufactured and where the money goes after the sale are two completely separate things.

gts-20
12-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Where they are manufactured and where the money goes after the sale are two completely separate things.

Good point, I can't argue with that.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Good point, I can't argue with that.

You and my ex-wife have nothing in common.:D

rjracin240
12-13-2010, 06:31 PM

When you consider the profit margin that goes back to Japan in comparison to the # of workers in the US that are gainfully employed to build these vehicles and the subsequent economic growth they produce.......this point becomes mute!

When wee look at our domestic brnds and how much of these components are produced across our borders, you can be sure it is comparable to the profit margin that goes back to Japan.

Interesting reading on this topic

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3631/is_200710/ai_n21033393/

Just my .02 cents!

ttu
12-13-2010, 07:36 PM
thanks again everyone. here is a pic of the nice cut they they did. also stole the o2 sensor. back running good again.:mad:

rjracin240
12-13-2010, 11:25 PM
thanks again everyone. here is a pic of the nice cut they they did. also stole the o2 sensor. back running good again.:mad:

Just curious.....are they being stolen for the scrap value of the metals or simply for the parts??
Seem like several people on Team Talk have had their Fourrunner cats stolen

vision
12-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Just curious.....are they being stolen for the scrap value of the metals or simply for the parts??

Unless they have recently changed again, catalytic convertors contain either platinum or palladium. I believe the current value of platinum is around $1800/oz and palladium is around $750/oz.

ahhudgins
12-14-2010, 12:22 PM

They are mostly stolen from SUVs because they are higher off the ground and easier to remove. I take cans and aluminum scrap from work to our local recycle center and they scan your drivers license, so this just goes to show you how stupid most criminals are. They show up to a recycle center with a load of brand new converters and don't think it will raise a red flag. I've heard that the recycle centers don't pay much for the converters (less than $100) but they can get several hundred an ounce for the precision metals.

milkmania
12-14-2010, 12:35 PM
wait a minute..... we're in a world now where someone steals a catalytic converter off a damned car in the parking lot AT WORK!?!?!?!?!? WTH????

I was reading an article yesterday where scrap yards are creating customer databases to help combat copper theft. New laws are requiring the databases and photo ID's, and photos of the customer.
New legislation is bumping up the penalty for stealing up to a certain dollar amount. like, over $2000.00 is a different class of felony, etc.
article went on to say, it's in it's early stages.... the scrap yards are telling the officers it exists.

DJ 50
12-14-2010, 01:08 PM
wait a minute..... we're in a world now where someone steals a catalytic converter off a damned car in the parking lot AT WORK!?!?!?!?!? WTH????

I was reading an article yesterday where scrap yards are creating customer databases to help combat copper theft. New laws are requiring the databases and photo ID's, and photos of the customer.
New legislation is bumping up the penalty for stealing up to a certain dollar amount. like, over $2000.00 is a different class of felony, etc.
article went on to say, it's in it's early stages.... the scrap yards are telling the officers it exists.

They will steal what they can whenever they can. I took a call from some poor old lady who had her cat converter taken from her car during the middle of the day while she was in church and her car was parked in the church lot.

As far as legislation goes, yes many areas are inacting strict legislation to help with these kind of things but as someone pointed out these salvage yards are making a BIG profit of this type of stuff. There will always be plenty of dirty shops that will buy this stuff regardless of the law and then lie on the books. There is just too much money out there for them an its to easy. Its no diffrent then pawn shops that buy stolen goods but this is easier to get away with.

Bottom line is the laws will help make things easier to charge and track things (in therory) they won't be followed and police don't have the time or man power to stay on top of it. Really the new laws are ther to make people feel better. IMO

wiltok
12-14-2010, 03:52 PM
I hope the guys stealing these are will to 'do the time' as they say. I caught a guy breaking into my 4Runner - broke out 2 windows and was rifling through my glove box and center console. I did a total karate jump/kick/slam against the vehicle (supposedly broke his ribs), chased him over fences and through yards until he was arrested. He is doing 6 years in the state prison for this crime.

ttu
12-14-2010, 04:01 PM

the 1st pic was with my cell phone. here is another.

one of my son's friends who also has a 4runner had his stolen last week.:mad: the guy at the repair shop said he had replaced about a dozen or so in the last few weeks and made it sound like it is the same person because all the cuts were the same.

DJ 50
12-14-2010, 04:02 PM
I hope the guys stealing these are will to 'do the time' as they say. I caught a guy breaking into my 4Runner - broke out 2 windows and was rifling through my glove box and center console. I did a total karate jump/kick/slam against the vehicle (supposedly broke his ribs), chased him over fences and through yards until he was arrested. He is doing 6 years in the state prison for this crime.

Next time shoot them. Its a safer and longer term solution to the problem. I'm sure you have something in your car such as a screwdriver or something to that nature that he was holding and you believed he was going to use as a weapon therfore putting your life in danger and forcing you to defend yourself. As the statment should
read to the police.

Sodar
12-14-2010, 04:18 PM

That is awesome! Good for you!

scott023
12-14-2010, 04:41 PM

Take the blinders off... I know people don't like to bite the hand that feeds them, but Toyotas are not "as North American as any Ford, Dodge or Chevy truck". The profits from the Toyotas do not stay in country.

Question, why are the majority of the CC's being stolen taken off Toyotas? Can't find a lot of info on other makes being targeted like the Toyotas. Does the design of them make for easier access to the CC's?

thatsmrmastercraft
12-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Take the blinders off... I know people don't like to bite the hand that feeds them, but Toyotas are not "as North American as any Ford, Dodge or Chevy truck".

You are taking my post out of context. I was illustrating the difference between Toyota profits leaving the country, GM and Dodge profits going to Obama, and Ford profits keeping the country operating.

OK, not completely serious about the GM / Dodge thing.

Eh.

scott023
12-14-2010, 05:24 PM
You are taking my post out of context. I was illustrating the difference between Toyota profits leaving the country, GM and Dodge profits going to Obama, and Ford profits keeping the country operating.

OK, not completely serious about the GM / Dodge thing.

Eh.

W T H??? Where did the rest of my post go???? Yikes. All me smilie faces are missing.

Wasn't meant to be an aggressive post at all. I was agreeing with your post.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-14-2010, 05:57 PM
W T H??? Where did the rest of my post go???? Yikes. All me smilie faces are missing.

Wasn't meant to be an aggressive post at all. I was agreeing with your post.

Didn't take it as aggressive at all. Just thought you took me wrong the way you multi-quoted me with what gts-20 said. I didn't want to get grouped in with the Toyota crowd, being a ford guy.

If I thought you were being overly aggressive, I would have called you a hoser, eh. :D

scott023
12-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Didn't take it as aggressive at all. Just thought you took me wrong the way you multi-quoted me with what gts-20 said. I didn't want to get grouped in with the Toyota crowd, being a ford guy.

If I thought you were being overly aggressive, I would have called you a hoser, eh. :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I was more worried that GTS-20 would take it as an attack...

ttu
07-09-2012, 01:30 PM
I have a 1996 4Runner and they cut mine from my driveway last year. I went with aftermarket converter and now my 02 sensor misreads so my engine light is alway's on!!!!

okay, i started this thread and getting tired of my son's 4runner check engine light coming on. code says it's a 02 sensor but that is new. dealer said there is nothing can be done because we went with a aftermarket converter. anyone have ideas of what can be done?

mzimme
07-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Is the light coming on because of the downstream 02 sensor? If so, search google for MIL eliminator for your 4runner. I know back when I had a mustang with no cats, the MIL eliminator was essential to keep the check engine light from coming on. Not sure if that method will work with a 4runner, but worth a shot.

SilviaMan
07-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Here is my .02: ( I skipped a couple pages, some of this may have been covered)
-Should have contacted your insurance company... Not sure if they would have covered it but they have for our customers in the past when this happens.
-Most likely the reason for the o2 sensor code is because the cat that they installed doesn't meet the standards of the original. So the vehicle is monitoring the catalyst for efficiency and its not doing the job that its supposed to be doing. Honestly that dealership should have known this! They might as well have just put a straight pipe on this thing for you.
Basically the right way to cure the "check engine" lamp is to replace that cat with one that will do the job correctly.
Although if you can find the product that mzimme suggested it would most likely take care of the issue. (all of this assumes a down stream o2 sensor code, or a catalyst efficiency code)