PDA

View Full Version : Stumps/Logs/Branches, etc.

cmarty123
12-12-2010, 08:43 AM
I have gladly given up my I/O for an inboard (Maristar 225VRS). I have been boating on a river late this season and there seems to be a lot of stuff floating on the water ranging from large logs to branches, sticks etc.

I would think that an I/O has an advantage when it comes to this. Since the prop is lower in the water, it is less likely to be damaged by the above mentioned floating on the water. Since I acquired the boat, I find myself swerving to avoid small sticks in the water as I don't know what would happen. In an I/O, I would have just plowed over them.

Now I know that a stump in the water will cause damage to any boat. But my question is does anybody have an opinion or experience as to what does and does not cause boat/prop damage? I realize there are many variables including speed, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

medicmoose
12-12-2010, 08:48 AM
The best advice....do your best not to find out!

Hammer
12-12-2010, 09:10 AM
^^^^^^^What he said!

JimN
12-12-2010, 10:28 AM
I have gladly given up my I/O for an inboard (Maristar 225VRS).I would think that an I/O has an advantage when it comes to this. Since the prop is lower in the water, it is less likely to be damaged by the above mentioned floating on the water.

Wanna bet? If a branch or log hits the nose of the lower gear case, it can break through or mis-shape it, causing the need for replacement. If water gets into the lower gear case, it will be pumped to the upper GC and that isn't good, at all. When I was working on boats, a replacement lower gear case from a thrid party sold for close to $2K and I have to think it must be close to $3K now. Unless you really nail something big with an inboard and damage the hull, I can't see a prop/prop shaft/strut replacement being that expensive.

While it's true that an I/O can be trimmed up and down, it doesn't happen fast and speed reduces the available time for reacting.

Tug
12-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Avoid rock shoals at 25mph.......$6 grand. Small stump was only $400.

bturner2
12-12-2010, 10:45 AM
I've had both I/O's and inboards and have spent far less in repairs of any on my inboards than my I/O's. Not sure exactly why but If I had to guess it would be a combination of the shallow draft and the lack of complex drive components on the inboards.

Usually if you hit something with an out drive you're going to at least take the skeg with the prop. Hit good enough and now were talking lower unit, which ain't cheap. Run a stainless steel prop on that I/O and hit something good and you'll take out the gear set and the shaft. Again really expensive stuff. How do I know this you may ask? Experienced both first hand. The worst I've done so far on an inboard is the prop (the sound in the background is me knocking on wood). Let's hope it stays that way.

vision
12-12-2010, 11:12 AM
To the original question, I have no scientific answer.

I will say that while we avoid debris in the water as best we can (and we have a significant amount after storms), most small floating debris gets displaced to the side by the hull. Even when we are taking on the debris nearly dead on, it often is displaced to the side by the V in the hull.

The8Ball
12-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't think inboard vs. I/O even matters, in this case.

If it's an expensive boat - sell it.

Buy one of those low-cost flat bottom fishing boats, used, with a 45 horse outboard.

The more beat up, the better.

Then it just won't matter what happens...

JLeuck64
12-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Most of us have developed the habits to avoid debris the HARD way... sounds like you have picked up a good habit without the unnecessary expense!

boyd
12-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I just sold mine too. I bought this gem. I put my fat wife up front with a brand new life jacket I bought her for our anniversary, this keeps the nose of the boat down. Now I don't have to worry about all those darn sticks.
Welcome to the Inboard world, you will never return.
BOYD

oldairboater
12-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Buy one this size and you can haul five fat wives at the same time but they have trouble finding a seat.I just sold mine too. I bought this gem. I put my fat wife up front with a brand new life jacket I bought her for our anniversary, this keeps the nose of the boat down. Now I don't have to worry about all those darn sticks.
Welcome to the Inboard world, you will never return.
BOYD

Kyle
12-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Stumps/Logs/Branches, etc. Are not items that you are going to want to hit in your boat or any boat with class and value.
Go get a swamp boat or an air boat if hitting things is how you roll. I believe there is a redneck video in the off topic section of a jet boat jumping a house. You may want to look into that style of boat too.

timvan
12-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Avoid rock shoals at 25mph.......$6 grand. Small stump was only $400.

Do you know Brad Osley? ive heard this story

scott023
12-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Stumps/Logs/Branches, etc. Are not items that you are going to want to hit in your boat or any boat with class and value.
Go get a swamp boat or an air boat if hitting things is how you roll. I believe there is a redneck video in the off topic section of a jet boat jumping a house. You may want to look into that style of boat too.

Nice. I haven't seen that one. Link?

Kyle
12-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Here is the video I was talking about. DO NOT TRY THIS IN YOUR MASTERCRAFT!!!! I do believe that this style of boat will still have the power you are looking for as well. Just another kind of boat that you may be interested in if swamp boats and air boats just are not your thing.

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/stunts/Boat_Jumps_River_Cabin/#319589

scott023
12-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Here is the video I was talking about. DO NOT TRY THIS IN YOUR MASTERCRAFT!!!! I do believe that this style of boat will still have the power you are looking for as well. Just another kind of boat that you may be interested in if swamp boats and air boats just are not your thing.

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/stunts/Boat_Jumps_River_Cabin/#319589

Thanks Kyle. :tiphat: