PDA

View Full Version : Mcnovice

MCnovice
12-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Need advice...am buying a lake house. Owner has a 94 maristar 225. Good condition with about 400 hours. I know nothing about ski or wake boats, but this appears to be a great boat. I am semi retired and will use boat to cruise, boat rides and pull some grandkids on skiis or boards at some point. this boat can be purchased in the 12 to 15k range allong with lots of lake house gear etc. any advice on price and general things about owning a boat like this is appreciated...pros and cons...it would be convenient to buy, but just not sure if I need this much boat for our use..or, it might be a deal I should not pass up...I do have previous boating experience , but with traditional ski and bass rigs.

east tx skier
12-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Welcome.

Give this web page a look. It was a collaborative effort by several people on this forum.

Link (http://tylerskiclub.com/usedboat.html)

Price seems a tad high. Average retail on NADA is in the $10K range. Not that NADA is the last word on this. Typically, it is a little, if not a good deal low in this age range. Nonetheless, you should use it to your advantage if possible. Condition and maintenance is everything. The 94 will be fuel injected, which is a plus and should not have any wood in it whatsoever apart from the teak platform. Make sure you give it a good, long test drive. If that's not in the cards, keep shopping.

Good luck.

bturner2
12-12-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm with Eastie on this one. The boat has low hours but is no steal at $12K and used boating gear is worth only what value you put on it. The 225 is a great boat and compared to an I/O low maintenance. It would be nice to have but $10K would be a much better deal.

coz
12-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Need advice...am buying a lake house. Owner has a 94 maristar 225. Good condition with about 400 hours. I know nothing about ski or wake boats, but this appears to be a great boat. I am semi retired and will use boat to cruise, boat rides and pull some grandkids on skiis or boards at some point. this boat can be purchased in the 12 to 15k range allong with lots of lake house gear etc. any advice on price and general things about owning a boat like this is appreciated...pros and cons...it would be convenient to buy, but just not sure if I need this much boat for our use..or, it might be a deal I should not pass up...I do have previous boating experience , but with traditional ski and bass rigs.

Where in the SW are you? just wondering.

Table Rocker
12-12-2010, 11:08 AM
I am semi retired and will use boat to cruise, boat rides and pull some grandkids on skis or boards at some point.I think you also need to consider what you are going to be using the boat for. A lot will depend on the lake and the traffic as well. If you are on a looking for a leisure cruise on a choppy lake, perhaps a ski boat isn't the best option regardless of price.

MCnovice
12-12-2010, 08:15 PM
East Texas

east tx skier
12-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Where in east Texas?

etduc
12-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Ya where do you hang, your hat.

dstone124
12-13-2010, 10:23 AM
I had that same MC as my first boat. Sold it 3 years ago for $15K after installing a tower and bimini amongst other improvements. Great boat! IMO, a 22' v-drive be the perfect boat for your intended use of lake cruises and rides for the grandkids. I would agree that $15K is too high in today's market especially if he's using it as a negotiating tool for sale of the rest of the property.
Some more information on the boat would be helpful in evaluating the boats worth. But all in all, it up to you and the bottom line with the rest of the deal.
GOOD LUCK!