PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat Restoration Stars n stripes

Hoodoo 262
12-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Hello all, I recently inherited a 1978 "stars and stripes" from a neighbor who simply wanted to be rid of it. It is very clean with only 450 hours but has some pretty major gelcoat issues. The main problem areas are located on the top of the gunnels (I hope that is the proper terminology) on both sides. There is major cracking but not to the point where any of the gelcoat is missing. I would like to have the problem areas repaired but do not know if this is feasable. I believe the problem is beyond simply grinding out the cracks and would require a complete gelcoat resto along both sides. If anyone has any experience with this type of repair I would greatly appreciate some advice. I believe the repairs will be a fairly large undertaking but I really like the boat and feel it is worthy of some love.

Thank you in advance,

Chris Meyer

Jorski
12-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Can you post some pics?

Jim@BAWS
12-09-2010, 08:02 PM
I see you are in the S.E. If you are in the proximity or Tampa lets us see the boat for an estimate

Jim@BAWS

JohnE
12-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Post some pics. Boat fine otherwise? Runs and drives ok?

Hoodoo 262
12-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys for your input. I have decided that my old boat is just not worth the time and money it would take to repair the gelcoat. Since it is mechanically sound I'm going to simply install some new carpet and a few other misc details and just run it like it is.

Thank you all.

Chris Meyer
MX Aircraft