PDA

View Full Version : Question/Advice about selling a 1973 MC

Davidb
12-07-2010, 04:20 PM
So for those of you who remember me, I purchased this boat in September 2008. Visually, the boat is beautiful. Not perfect by any means, but for a boat of its age, it looks great. However, since I bought it, it seems like everytime I fix it and take it out, it's something else. Its just been small stuff mostly, steering cable to rudder attachment, a small leak, driveshaft/prop. But when I put the new shaft in I found the stringers were rotted around the motor mounts. I started to work on this but I just don't have the time and the boat has not seen the water in over a year. And since I'm graduating and starting grad school this summer, I don't have any time or really any motivation for it anymore. So my question is, do I stand a chance at selling as is, which is motor pulled and stringers ready to be fixed, or will I have no choice but to make time to fix this and sell it as a water ready boat? This is it when I first bought it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/davidB382/MasterCraft/P9270001.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
12-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Needing the stringers replaced will certainly limit who will be a real buyer for this boat, but the only real negative is the inability to quickly start the engine or to have any water test at all. For a serious buyer of such an early boat, the condition of the boat will be the larger concern. Certainly having stringers in need of replacement will diminish the value, but again, not too many early boats around. It appears, at least from the picture, to be in good shape.

Cloaked
12-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Nice looking machine.

JohnE
12-07-2010, 05:48 PM
The market of interested buyers will be small for sure. But it will all depend on price. How much are you into it for? You might find someone who wants to refurb it. Seems to me like it is a $2K boat. If you are looking for $5 -7K, I think you need to put the time into it. If I were you given where you are in your life, I'd dump it.

Jim@BAWS
12-07-2010, 08:38 PM
GETROT works wonders and bonds really well. It is a patch job but it will last a while

Jim@BAWS

Davidb
12-08-2010, 12:56 PM
How much are you into it for?

I have about $5000 into it.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-08-2010, 01:28 PM

Looks decent. How many hours and what kind of condition overall? You might be kinda deep into it.

JohnE
12-08-2010, 03:33 PM

Seems like a lot. There was a 73 in good working order here for sale for $3500 a few months back. I considered buying it, but then due to my changing personal situation could not.