PDA

View Full Version : Fat Sacks

deereman
12-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I just bought the fat seat a few weeks ago. It says the weight when its full is 1500 pounds. We have a 1987 Prostar 190 with the 351. Is that too much weight for that boat/engine/transmission? I can judge whether its a safe weight in regards to water coming over the back of the boat and stuff, but my concern is the engine/transmission. Would I be risking breaking something having that much weight in there? Thanks for the input!

coz
12-05-2010, 05:12 PM
I just bought the fat seat a few weeks ago. It says the weight when its full is 1500 pounds. We have a 1987 Prostar 190 with the 351. Is that too much weight for that boat/engine/transmission? I can judge whether its a safe weight in regards to water coming over the back of the boat and stuff, but my concern is the engine/transmission. Would I be risking breaking something having that much weight in there? Thanks for the input!

Here's something to think about too.....once you fill er up back there, technically you won't be able to put people or gear in the boat because you'll be over the rated weight limit for that boat :D but that don't stop people from doing it and yes you'll get water over the stern if not careful.

deereman
12-05-2010, 05:37 PM
yeah, I realized that point, but my main concern i guess is the transmission, and i dont wanna blow out the tranny with all the weight.

CantRepeat
12-05-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't believe you're going to get an answer to that. No one here will tell you it's ok to overload your boat, regardless of what the tranny or engine will handle.

kevkan
12-05-2010, 06:21 PM
I doubt the extra weight is going to cause any trouble with the engine or transmission. That boat was designed to pull great skiers through the slalom course all day long. I think a pro skier crossing the wake puts way more pull on the boat than weight in the boat.

That said... Having tried ballast in a 1985 S&S with the 351 and powerslot, I wouldn't recommend the fat seat. I had two (2) bags that would hold 250 lbs. each. I never had the courage to fill them full. Besides, even with the weight, the boat just didn't throw a big enough wake to justify the risk and hassle.

Face it, you own a ski boat. A trick skiing wake is the biggest you will get, and probably at slower speed than you wakeboard. You will not find a much better ski wake than the 1987 190, and its hard to screw it up. Now, a 1987 Nautique... If my memory is correct, at less than 36 mph, it threw a wakeboard wake. At least it seemed that way while crossing it.

Thrall
12-05-2010, 07:51 PM
It's pretty heavy but won't hurt the boat and won't swamp it. I had close to that in my 190 and it threw a nice wake. Wouldn't put too many people in the boat though.

deereman
12-05-2010, 10:22 PM
thanks for the replys guys. the only reason i have such a big seat is because i got it extremely cheap, and couldnt pass it up. I never thought it'd be a good idea to fill it all the way up, but i was thinking half would do the job even. i think 1500 is wayyy too much in that boat, and dont wanna end up having problems or water in the boat for that matter. Also was able to pick up a fly high pole real cheap at the same time, so had a good day with the wakeboarding deals.

ahhudgins
12-05-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm just a recreational wakeboarder and I'm used to the soft wake behind my Maristar 200. Even with 4 or 5 people in my boat along with a 400 lb sac I don't get much of a kick behind my boat. My buddy has an 87 PS190 and it has a pretty big curl at 22 mph with just 3 or 4 people in the boat. At the end of the season we had about 800 lbs of people in his 87 and I almost killed myself on the first cut I made at the wake at 22 mph. I just wasn't expecting the wake to be so steep, it was like hitting a wall. After backing off on my cut a little bit I got used to it and was getting some pretty good air, but my knees took a pounding on the landings (I'm 48). I would love to see the wake with 1500 lbs in the back.

Plave
12-06-2010, 06:10 AM
We routinely have 1150lbs (two 375's and a 400) and four people in my 1990 Prostar.

The wake is great (ok it's not proper wakeboat levels but good enough for most of us). I have a friend who puts 2000lbs in his X5, no issues.