PDA

View Full Version : Portable Jump Starter Suggestions

Slinkyredfoot
12-05-2010, 01:05 PM
I am looking to buy a good portable jump starter for a Christmas present. I have been thru two junk units and am looking for a good one for car and marine use as well. Do not care anything about an air compressor in the unit, just maybe a built in light.

Anyone with suggestions on a good one?

Thanks

The8Ball
12-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Ditto! ... also looking... I have checked on line, looks like these things run from $100 to $150... would love to know as well...

1redTA
12-05-2010, 03:01 PM
I had a black and decker jump box that worked pretty well for 3-5 years. It had a small light power inverter and air compressor. You could charge it with AC or DC and was nice to have when camping and boating.

I'd post a link but on my phone at work
Black & Decker VEC026BD Electromate 400 Jump-Starter with Built-In Air Compressor
Black & Decker

Jerseydave
12-05-2010, 09:35 PM
I was selling these when I was a MAC TOOL dealer. If you want a really good one that will start big blocks and diesels, get this one.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/solar-booster-pack-portable-power-supply-es5000-p-14416.aspx

For about $50 less you can buy the next one smaller with 250 cranking amps. It works ok on a car with a weak battery, but if it's really dead the larger booster pack is your best bet.

chippy1971
12-05-2010, 10:13 PM
The thing with all jump batteries is not so much the jump battery itself it is more will it cause a short on the electrics when it is disconnected.

You need to ensure that it comes with a safety mechanism to ensure that when the motor is now running on the car / boat battery and the alternator that the drain on the system does not send a spike down the link and kill the electrics in the boat.

Lars
12-06-2010, 01:01 AM
The thing with all jump batteries is not so much the jump battery itself it is more will it cause a short on the electrics when it is disconnected.

You need to ensure that it comes with a safety mechanism to ensure that when the motor is now running on the car / boat battery and the alternator that the drain on the system does not send a spike down the link and kill the electrics in the boat.

I'm sort of tracking with you on this, but can you explain this phenomenon a bit more? When you disconnect the jump pack it sends a spike in voltage through the electrical system??

chippy1971
12-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Well it can short out things, remember if you have a fuel injection system the engine will have an ECU ( electronic control unit ) that is the brains for the motor.

If that gets a spike or surge of power there is a chance it could get damaged.

So what I am saying is don't just by the cheapest one, find one that has surge protection built it and you should be safe.

If you spend $200 now you could save yourself thousands later.

dpolen
12-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Here's another plug for the Black and Decker unit that 1redTA mentioned. I've had one of these for a couple years now and it has saved my day on the lake several times when someone (me) forgets to turn off a switch as I'm putting the boat away. I charge it up like once a month and just store it in the boat or leave it in the car while on the lake.