View Full Version : Winterization/Storage Question

12-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Does anyone raise their boat/trailer off the ground to take the weight off the torsion bars/springs/tires during the winter?

12-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I do! Cinder block with a 2 x 8 on top perfect height to lift the wheel off the ground. I heard or read somewhere if you don't it is reccomended over inflating the trailer tires. Not sure to what presure?

12-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Yes. On jack stands. From Sears.

12-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Ditto on Covis' method.

12-04-2010, 09:24 PM
General consensus in the collector-car world is to put the jack-stands on the un-sprung part of the suspension (another worlds, load the suspension exactly as the tire would). I understand leaving the springs in their relaxed state is much worse than leaving them in tension.

The reason for putting a vehicle on stands is so that the tires do not sit in the same spot for long durations. This can lead to flat spots due to the belts/rubber building up a memory. It can also lead to tire rot on the contact patch.

I have never lifted any of the trailers in the family (boats, jetskis, utility). I would if I was going to let the boat sit for years, but with only 5 months or so of storage, I just don't think it matters on a trailer tire (harder compounds, less susceptible to memory). So far, no issues with any of the trailers noted, one of them has had the same tires for 14 years.

12-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Lots of people do...I don't bother...mine stays in my garage in the same spot more or less all year long..

12-04-2010, 11:30 PM
I do the same as covi and my boat only sits for about 4-5 mos over the winter/spring. I tend to be overkill on most things though.

12-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Yes. On jack stands. From Sears.

Same here.....

12-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Leaf springs on my tandem trailer. I have only rolled it onto 2x12's to keep it off the grass (outdoor storage:(). Once I replace the tires in spring, I will be putting it on jack stands.