PDA

View Full Version : Winterization/Storage Question

WildPeace
12-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Does anyone raise their boat/trailer off the ground to take the weight off the torsion bars/springs/tires during the winter?

Covi
12-04-2010, 01:31 PM
I do! Cinder block with a 2 x 8 on top perfect height to lift the wheel off the ground. I heard or read somewhere if you don't it is reccomended over inflating the trailer tires. Not sure to what presure?

The8Ball
12-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Yes. On jack stands. From Sears.

Bouyhead
12-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Ditto on Covis' method.

Luv2Ski
12-04-2010, 08:24 PM
General consensus in the collector-car world is to put the jack-stands on the un-sprung part of the suspension (another worlds, load the suspension exactly as the tire would). I understand leaving the springs in their relaxed state is much worse than leaving them in tension.

The reason for putting a vehicle on stands is so that the tires do not sit in the same spot for long durations. This can lead to flat spots due to the belts/rubber building up a memory. It can also lead to tire rot on the contact patch.

I have never lifted any of the trailers in the family (boats, jetskis, utility). I would if I was going to let the boat sit for years, but with only 5 months or so of storage, I just don't think it matters on a trailer tire (harder compounds, less susceptible to memory). So far, no issues with any of the trailers noted, one of them has had the same tires for 14 years.

JohnE
12-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Lots of people do...I don't bother...mine stays in my garage in the same spot more or less all year long..

smoketu
12-04-2010, 10:30 PM
I do the same as covi and my boat only sits for about 4-5 mos over the winter/spring. I tend to be overkill on most things though.

TOO-TALL
12-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes. On jack stands. From Sears.

Same here.....

thatsmrmastercraft
12-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Leaf springs on my tandem trailer. I have only rolled it onto 2x12's to keep it off the grass (outdoor storage:(). Once I replace the tires in spring, I will be putting it on jack stands.