PDA

View Full Version : Rubrail Sealant Question??


TXMC-06X2
12-03-2010, 09:33 AM
The other day I was washing the boat. I sprayed water spot remover on it and wiped it down, and then was applying the spray wax. Up on the starboard bow underneath the rubrail I had two 10" pieces of silicone sealant fall off. Is this common, if so, what type of sealant would be the best to replace it with?

Thanks,

Jim

Gonzo
12-03-2010, 11:09 AM
yes common, clear silicone is what I use. run a bead around and wipe it in with your finger... just like caulk.

FrankSchwab
12-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately, Silicone isn't a very good adhesive (as you experienced). It comes loose after awhile. It's cheap, but messy to apply. It'll do a good job of sealing the hull/deck joint for a few years, depending on how well it's applied, but will eventually fail.

I've always thought the best way to handle the situation was the most drastic - remove the rub rail and remove the screws that hold the deck and hull together. Squirt Silicone into the joint, let it cure, then reinsert the screws and tighten them to pull the joint together. The "squeeze" on the cured silicone should keep it in the joint pretty much forever. This is pretty drastic, however.

Some people have gone to things like 3M 5200 as a replacement for Silicone - it's far more adhesive, but it's ten times as messy. It's thinner bodied, and doesn't cure for a week - so attempting to use it means that it runs out of the joint and down the side of the boat (don't ask me how I know this). Unless, of course, you turn the boat upside down first.

I've wondered whether some of the high-end adhesive caulks for shower use would work well. They're a lot easier to apply than Silicone, and are designed to stay stuck.

/frank

TXMC-06X2
12-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the advice fellas!

ahhudgins
12-03-2010, 02:11 PM
I opted for the least drastic, but I won't know until next spring if it fixed my problem. My 95 Maristar 200VRS had a small leak that was coming from the rub rail in one of the side compartments in the stern. I kept thinking it was dripping from one edge of the sun deck but later determined it was seeping from behind the carpet covering the seam of the rub rail. I thought about pulling the whole rub rail, but then I thought "Naaaaaaaa". It was only about a 3 inch area, so I pulled the carpet down and put silicone on the inside seam. If it still leaks next spring I'll remove the whole rail and seal it up. My rail shows no evidence of any silicone on the outside of the boat.

The rub rail and euro platform was a bad idea on my 95.

FrankSchwab
12-03-2010, 03:31 PM
That's actually the way I ended up doing it on mine in the same area - I put tape on the outside under the seam to contain the sealant, then squeezed sealant in from the inside. I'd forgotten about that.

Works fine for the areas you can get to from the inside.

/frank

ahhudgins
12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
That's actually the way I ended up doing it on mine in the same area - I put tape on the outside under the seam to contain the sealant, then squeezed sealant in from the inside. I'd forgotten about that.

Works fine for the areas you can get to from the inside.

/frank

Great, maybe my problem will be fixed! I was worried that I was going to be bashed for taking a short cut. Seemed like a lot less work for the same result.:D