PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Raleigh/Durham area. Suggestions on great boarding lakes?

The Podge
12-02-2010, 07:37 PM
We are relocating to the Raleigh/Durham area and would love some suggestions on good lakes in the area. We would also like some suggestions for storage facilities. Looks like quite a few options but wanted to see if anyone has experience with any of them. I would prefer indoor or well covered. Feel free to send a PM or post responses. Thanks in advance!

vision
12-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Harris Lake and Falls Lake are the most popular with Jordan a distant third. Numerous other good lakes within 90 miles. Welcome to 2 to 3 more months a year of riding!

Sorry, no help on storage.

TNH2oSkier
12-03-2010, 10:35 AM
White lake marine offers covered storage iirc. Harris lake is also nice, plus you get that nice green glow afterwards.

The Podge
12-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks to both of you for the replies! I have only visited the area a few times for business meetings and don't know much about it so what is the "green glow"?

Hammer
12-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Harris is the cooling lake for Sharon Harris Nuclear plant. I've skied there for many years. Small but there are a few good places to ski. I don't wakeboard, just ski. so its pretty tough to ski there on the weekend but wakeboarders are not as picky.

kdr
12-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Falls is great, especially during the week. It is a good idea to go out on the lake a few times with someone that knows it first because there are a few places that can cause problems for you. Never been to Harris or Jordan, but I hear great things about those lakes as well. It really depends on where in the area you are located. If your in Raleigh / North Raleigh, Falls is the most convenient. If you are closer to Durham, then Harris or Jordan. You also have Gaston, Kerr, Mayo, and Hyco within a close drive. If you are looking for a lake house, then it will have to be one of those four lakes as Falls, Jordan, and Harris don't have homes on them. Hyco just happens to be heated, so year round riding is easily doable.

Riding year round on any of the lakes in this area can be done if you're willing. I haven't missed a month in two years.

The Podge
12-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Great info! I will be in the Cary area for a year on a temporary assignment for work. We will be living in corporate housing but the boat will be coming with us. That is why I was looking for storage. I also wouldn't mind a slip for a while to be ready to go in the evening. It sounds great to get a bit more boarding than normal! Our lakes are frozen over now in Colorado.

Hammer
12-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Jordan is the only one with slips. And Jordan is just down the road from Cary. Harris next, then falls. I would recomend going out with someone first to know where not to go. Stumps are an issue on falls and jordan, but they are in specific areas and don't cause a problem.

vision
12-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Great info! I will be in the Cary area for a year on a temporary assignment for work. We will be living in corporate housing but the boat will be coming with us. That is why I was looking for storage. I also wouldn't mind a slip for a while to be ready to go in the evening. It sounds great to get a bit more boarding than normal! Our lakes are frozen over now in Colorado.

You will likely find Harris a better place to board than Jordan, but both will be near you in Cary (20 to 30 minute drive at most depending on the side of Cary you are located. Harris is south-southwest of Cary and Jordan due west.

Gonzo
12-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Depending on where you move Gaston and Kerr are about an hr and a half away from the RDU area.

The Podge
12-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks again for all of the info! I looked up the water temps and was amazed! Is it really still around 60 degrees? That is really warm if the air is ok. This week has certainly been cold for you though!

The Podge
12-15-2010, 10:23 PM
We will be in west Cary. Got final arrangements made and moving down right after Christmas. We will be very close to Jordan. Any other comments on storage in the area? Prefer at least covered if not inside. Thanks!

kdr
12-16-2010, 10:00 AM
I can't comment on Jordan, but the temp on my lake east of Raleigh was at 42 degrees Saturday and it was mostly iced over this morning.

nascar
12-16-2010, 10:51 AM
There are at least two or three storage places on Highway 64 , I do not know their names but there are just beside the road so you can not miss them . Coming from Cary , one is before Jordan Lake and the other two are accross the lake where you turn left for the Vista Point boat ramp and camping area . Also , there are a few places on some of the side roads around Jordan lake that do storage . Sorry , I never paid any attention to their names because I keep my boat at my house .

Hammer
12-16-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't recall any of them having inside storage big enough for a boat.

The Podge
12-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the info again! I look forward to exploring the area. Come say "Hi" if you see our boat out on the water.

The Podge
12-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Not a very good picture but it is the only one I have on this computer. Can't wait for summer again!

vision
12-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Nice boat. The UNC crowd will approve.

If you get up to Lake Gaston, look for us on the water.

If you need crew when you get to Cary, give me a shout.

bigpack20
12-23-2010, 11:07 PM
were is a good place to ski on Lake Gaston?

Nice boat. The UNC crowd will approve.

If you get up to Lake Gaston, look for us on the water.

If you need crew when you get to Cary, give me a shout.

vision
12-24-2010, 10:58 AM
were is a good place to ski on Lake Gaston?

There are many. You can usually find good water in the back of several of the creeks, especially if you can go under the low bridges where 903 crosses. The back of Lizard creek, Poplar creek, and Songbird creek are often calm. The main lake is often calm on most days early in the morning and essentially all day during the off season.

There is some times a slalom course in the first creek east of Poplar creek (about 1 mile) on the north side of the lake. Not sure of the name of the creek.

The Podge
12-28-2010, 11:35 PM
We made it from Denver to just outside nashville over the last two days on our way to Cary, NC. Glad that MC has such great trailers under them. I am sure ther are problems at times but it always surprises me how nice it is compared to our last boat. Clear weather the entire way too. Life is good!

Vision. I may take you up on the offer when spring gets here! I will PM you when it warms a bit.

The Podge
02-20-2011, 04:14 PM
I never fully updated this thread. We are settled for the year in Cary. Looks like we will mostly be at Falls Lake. Jordan is closer but found a better place to store near Falls. Look out for us on the water! It would be great to know a few people in the area to board with. Looks like we are close to having water warm enough to tolerate! Anyone know of a good map for depths or have experience with a Garmin for inland lakes?

kdr
02-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Try to find someone to go out with the first time you put in. There are several places that can surprise you. If you plan on putting in at Lower Bartons on Six Forks Road, the advice I can give is:

1) Watch the depth finder when putting in on the ramp closest to the road. When the water is down it gets shallow quickly if you get away from the dock.

2) When heading out to the main lake area, you will go through a narrow twisty area that opens up as you come out. There are two buoys that look like they are in the center the channel. There is a shelf that extends from the right shore all the way out to these buoys, so stay to the left of these and watch your depth gauge the first couple of times out.

Age Fighter
02-24-2011, 09:38 AM
I never fully updated this thread. We are settled for the year in Cary. Looks like we will mostly be at Falls Lake. Jordan is closer but found a better place to store near Falls. Look out for us on the water! It would be great to know a few people in the area to board with. Looks like we are close to having water warm enough to tolerate! Anyone know of a good map for depths or have experience with a Garmin for inland lakes?

Falls has many more "fingers" where you can get some wind protection and get glass, but few spots have any decent length of straight running. That's not so important for boarding as it is for a faster pull like slalom. Could be why my buddy who boards likes Falls while I slalom and prefer Jordan.

Both Falls and Jordan are much better during the week when the traffic is lower. If your work schedule allows, hitting it in that 6-9 pm range during the long days will get you your best conditions.

The Podge
02-25-2011, 10:56 PM
KDR and Agefighter,

Thanks for the replies and very useful info! We Will be heading out from Rollingview marina but will definitely explore as much of the lake as possible so the info is great. I will also get a good map and possibly a gps. We are used to a very small lake in Colorado so it will be fun to get out and explore the different fingers. I heard the water is a little over 50 degrees now. I think we may summarize soon!

kdr
02-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Rollingview is way on the other side of the lake from where I go. The area is much more open and harder to find good water if there is traffic and/or wind. You can head towards the marina, go through the no wake zone and the other side is a pretty decent place to get a run in.

02ProstarSammyD
05-24-2011, 08:59 PM
We drop in at bartons. Anyone sees a yellow 209 with aerial tower feel free to come say hello.

kjohnson
05-26-2011, 08:32 AM
All of the lakes mentioned are good, if you can stand a 1 hour wait at the ramp, to put your boat in the water.