PDA

View Full Version : Hope my winterization is okay

Worthing skier
12-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Just had a big dump of snow , the temps have been well below freezing for the last few days , very rare of the regon we I live (West Sussex, United Kingdom).
I had already drained all water from block, manifolds , trans cooler , water pump and raw water pump .Just hope this is going to be okay .:(

M-Funf
12-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Would'ya look at the ORB in that pic :eek::eek:

aaron.
12-02-2010, 02:42 PM
buurrrrr that poor lil lady

Hollywood
12-02-2010, 02:51 PM
You are probably fine. Looks like some light fluffy snow, not that it has anything to do with your engine concerns.

CantRepeat
12-02-2010, 06:14 PM
You can always put a 40 watt light bulb in a mechanics drop light in the bilge. It's enough heat to keep any left over water from freezing solid.

M-Funf
12-02-2010, 06:19 PM
You can always put a 40 watt light bulb in a mechanics drop light in the bilge. It's enough heat to keep any left over water from freezing solid.

I doesn't snow where I keep my boat, but it does get cold, and I use the bulb trick. I also have it connected to a thermostat that only turns the light on when the temperature dips below 40F outside.

André
12-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Light bulbs burn out sometimes.
Just sayin...
IF you drained all water out,you'll be ok.

Luv2Ski
12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
It will be fine. Many of us who live in cold climates only drain the items you have mentioned. That is all I ever did when I lived in the NorthWest US where it often drops thirty+ degrees below zero; never had any trouble. [I am assuming you don't have heater that should have been drained :-)]

Be careful with the light bulb trick, only use it short term as there is some (albeit small) risk of spark.

CantRepeat
12-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Light bulbs burn out sometimes.
Just sayin...
IF you drained all water out,you'll be ok.

You're right they do.

When it's going to freeze down here, once or twice a winter, I always put a fresh bulb in and check to make sure it's burning before I go to bed.

CantRepeat
12-02-2010, 06:41 PM
It will be fine. Many of us who live in cold climates only drain the items you have mentioned. That is all I ever did when I lived in the NorthWest US where it often drops thirty+ degrees below zero; never had any trouble. [I am assuming you don't have heater that should have been drained :-)]

Be careful with the light bulb trick, only use it short term as there is some (albeit small) risk of spark.

I used to only drain the block, manifolds and what not. The angle of the motor lets water stay in the block near the rear, transmission area. One year it got in the 10s and ended up pushing out a freeze plug behind the starter. Long story short, I didn't notice when I started boat for the first time that next season and ended up burning up a muffler and exhaust tube. From that point forward I always use a light bulb.