PDA

View Full Version : Houston Mastercraft Closed

kingwoodlee
12-01-2010, 04:49 PM
I tried phoning Houston Mastercraft today and could never get them to answer. Inquired further and was told that the dealership shut down. Another casualty of this recession! Anybody heard anything about what happened. I have had nothing but great service from them for the short time I have owned my MC. Hope it is just a short setback.

carracer
12-01-2010, 06:42 PM
illegals don't ski

Thrall
12-01-2010, 06:46 PM
That's too bad. Stopped in there just to gawk at boats when we were in TX last yr and seemed like a good crew.

TayMC197
12-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I tried phoning Houston Mastercraft today and could never get them to answer. Inquired further and was told that the dealership shut down. Another casualty of this recession! Anybody heard anything about what happened. I have had nothing but great service from them for the short time I have owned my MC. Hope it is just a short setback.

There service stunk! When I informed them my boat was a 92 they tried to sell me a new one. I told them I needed parts and they left me standing around for about 15 minutes and carried on with their "No Business".

TayMC197
12-01-2010, 07:41 PM
illegals don't ski

Yes, but they pay cash!

The8Ball
12-01-2010, 10:40 PM
There service stunk! When I informed them my boat was a 92 they tried to sell me a new one. I told them I needed parts and they left me standing around for about 15 minutes and carried on with their "No Business".
BINGO!!!

God, they sucked. I'm also in Houston. Have gone to them a few times - exactly like your story: horrible service, clueless about parts... if you had a boat over 5 years old... you just needed to move on. This was good in the end, because it forced me to do all the work myself... which I enjoyed - and now I fear nothing about my boat.

Maybe... if they come back... they can get their act together.

03 35th Anniversary
12-01-2010, 10:53 PM

If your not buying new! They don't wanna talk to YOU!!!

The8Ball
12-01-2010, 11:29 PM
If your not buying new! They don't wanna talk to YOU!!!
...or me... or anyone else who isn't buying new.

If that's their line of business (new boat sales only) - they should just come out and say that and save everybody a lot of time and frustration.

gts-20
12-01-2010, 11:48 PM
This is not good news for MasterCraft owners in Houston :confused:. We have been planning on bringing our boat in to them this week. They had several warranty issues already diagnossed that we were going to have fixed. They even had the parts already there waiting for us. Our boat is an '08 PS214, bought as new from them in 2010. They told us that MC would start/honor our warranty from the 2010 sale date. Are we going to have problems dealing with another MC dealer? What do we do about the repairs the Houston MC already had agreed to perform? Example, when we agreed to purchase the boat, we pointed out an area on the engine cover where to vinyl was flawed. They agreed to replace it and had the cover sent from MC. It was already there to install for us when we brought it in at the end of the season, as per their instructions.

Any ideas where we can get the boat serviced in Houston? We need it winterized. Some place that wont compromise our MC warranty? I drained it Monday night, according to the manual. I didn't want to take any chances since we had our first freeze last night.

Can anyone here pass on a phone # to me that I can call to have MC answer these questions?

Kyle
12-01-2010, 11:55 PM
illegals don't ski

Illegals do pay with cash money. You see Houston does have illegals but mostly African American decent live there. Probably not going to sell ski boats if most of the town hates to be wet or cold.

TallRedRider
12-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Any ideas where we can get the boat serviced in Houston? Some place that wont compromise our MC warranty?

Can anyone here pass on a phone # to me that I can call to have MC answer these questions?

When the MC dealer went down in my town, you just had to call the nearest dealer and they can get things done for you. Your date of sale will be easy to prove and your warranty should be good, but you might be making a road trip. Or they will just open under another business license after declaring bankruptcy.

Illegals do pay with cash money. You see Houston does have illegals but mostly African American decent live there. Probably not going to sell ski boats if most of the town hates to be wet or cold.

That is the most politically incorrect thing I have heard in quite some time....and I can't stop laughing.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-02-2010, 01:03 AM

That is the most politically incorrect thing I have heard in quite some time....and I can't stop laughing.

Funny, I was thinking that this was the most politically correct thing I have seen Kyle post. :D

JohnE
12-02-2010, 01:05 AM
IMO being a boat dealer in the past 4 years is an effort in futility. Unless there is a dire emergency, people would rather find a fix online. Often on the mfg's sites.

Everyone *****es online about the price of service at their local dealer. But soon enough everyone will be *****ing that they don't have a local dealer..??

The fallout will continue. Hopefully nobody servicing boats themselves will have a catostrophic failure that they need a dealer to complete.

Cause the dealer may be nowhere to be found.:confused:

gts-20
12-02-2010, 01:25 AM
IMO being a boat dealer in the past 4 years is an effort in futility. Unless there is a dire emergency, people would rather find a fix online. Often on the mfg's sites.

Everyone *****es online about the price of service at their local dealer. But soon enough everyone will be *****ing that they don't have a local dealer..??

The fallout will continue. Hopefully nobody servicing boats themselves will have a catostrophic failure that they need a dealer to complete.

Cause the dealer may be nowhere to be found.:confused:

Thanks! Nice to know the moderators are here to help! :mad:

We are first time MasterCraft owners, long time boat owners, and considered the MC dealers our only option for service, accessories, and possibly future boat purchases. We never b**ch about the prices!, we pay them, and even say thank you for being there to support us.

I would just like to know where I can find another MC dealer that can help us in the future. It looks like our only options are long hauls to Texas MasterCraft, or TSR in San Antonio.

JohnE
12-02-2010, 02:01 AM

We are first time MasterCraft owners, long time boat owners, and considered the MC dealers our only option for service, accessories, and possibly future boat purchases. We never b**ch about the prices!, we pay them, and even say thank you for being there to support us.

I would just like to know where I can find another MC dealer that can help us in the future. It looks like our only options are long hauls to Texas MasterCraft, or TSR in San Antonio.

Please, I bring my boat 900 miles to Charlotte for service. Bring your boat wherever you want or can. You seem like you appreciate what your dealer can and willl do for you but believe me you are not the norm.. neither am I. FWIW, I am here to moderate, but am not affiliated with mc in any way. I just keep threads and post on track and in line. ds

CantRepeat
12-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Please, I bring my boat 900 miles to Charlotte for service. Bring your boat wherever you want or can. You seem like you appreciate what your dealer can and willl do for you but believe me you are not the norm.. neither am I. FWIW, I am here to moderate, but am not affiliated with mc in any way. I just keep threads and post on track and in line. ds

:eek3: Hell-of-a long drive.

I think it's like most deals. If you have a warranty you are going to use it. Like a lot of people that drive cars that don't have warranties any longer people work on them. The system aren't to complex and if I can do it myself I will. Paying between $300 and $500 bucks for a service I can easily do myself doesn't make sense to me or to a lot of other people. I do however buy all my parts from Lex @ Rambo because he is so knowledgeable, friendly and really likes to help MC owners.

If a dealership doesn't see the advantages in having a really good service and parts department they are going to fail. If I were to ever buy new you can bet Rambo would be my first stop.

TX.X-30 fan
12-02-2010, 09:01 AM

Take it to TSR top notch family runs the place, then head to Lockhart for the best BBQ on the planet. :D Get your skin and have any decent shop install it.

I do find it funny that guys with 18/20 year old boats think everyone should know everything about them and stock all the parts.......... Really??

My guess is there would be quite a few Honda dealers who have never worked on an 88 civic. :D

ksdaoski
12-02-2010, 09:09 AM
that's because the fuel pump in the 22yr old honda still works!

Maristar210
12-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Ricci don't lose that number !!!!

Dealers close. Businesses go out of business. Sucks for sure but you'll be driving for service by the sounds of it. :confused:

Ricci puttem out of business when he refused to buy that 40th anny X-star.... dincha Ricci???

Ric
12-02-2010, 09:42 AM

hahahahahahah

Ric
12-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Ricci don't lose that number !!!!

Dealers close. Businesses go out of business. Sucks for sure but you'll be driving for service by the sounds of it. :confused:

Ricci puttem out of business when he refused to buy that 40th anny X-star.... dincha Ricci???

I never went to Houston MC so I cannot give an opinion. I can say I thought it was a horrible location compared to Darryl Moore's location. You really could not see the place and you might could see the sign if you were looking hard. Maybe location played into a lack of sales, I certainly don't know.

Kyle, Houston water is dirty too. People hate the water in Houston. Also the economy is bad and people should not move to Houston. Dallas is better. People should go there.

Archimedes
12-02-2010, 11:17 AM
I never went to Houston MC so I cannot give an opinion. I can say I thought it was a horrible location compared to Darryl Moore's location. You really could not see the place and you might could see the sign if you were looking hard. Maybe location played into a lack of sales, I certainly don't know.

Kyle, Houston water is dirty too. People hate the water in Houston. Also the economy is bad and people should not move to Houston. Dallas is better. People should go there.

I'm assuming your last paragraph is sarcastic, but just in case.....having lived in Houston and Dallas, I'd take Houston over Dallas everyday and twice on Sunday. Dallas was the worst place I've ever lived including stints in NY, Chicago, Houston, Austin, Dallas and now Silicon Valley. The problem with both Dallas and Houston was the dearth of good skiing water, but at least Houston had the San Jac back when I lived there pre-flood damage.

Bought my first MC from Darryl.

east tx skier
12-02-2010, 11:17 AM
that's because the fuel pump in the 22yr old honda still works!

Hahahahaha! You win the thread and possibly the internets!

The number for MC in Vonore, TN is (423) 884-2221.

Give Daryl Moore Marine a call. They used to be a MC dealer in Spring, TX and might be able to help (but it won't be warranty based. Their parts department was as clueless as the rest back in the day, but their service wasn't bad. Call for an appointment IIRC.

There is also a CC dealer in Houston. No, you won't get the work done under warranty, but they can do the work. I had a CC dealership locally do a lot of mechanical work on my old MC since I didn't have a MC dealership within 100 miles of here.

bobx1
12-02-2010, 11:22 AM
.....I would just like to know where I can find another MC dealer that can help us in the future. It looks like our only options are long hauls to Texas MasterCraft, or TSR in San Antonio.

I can't see how one of the largest cities in the US (metro area wise) with lots of water to be had, would not have a MC dealer. In the meantime here is a little advice.....head west for service.

P.S. I am now driving 3.5 hours for service.

east tx skier
12-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I can't see how one of the largest cities in the US (metro area wise) with lots of water to be had, would not have a MC dealer. In the meantime here is a little advice.....head west for service.

P.S. I am now driving 3.5 hours for service.

Probably because there is no smooth water in Texas, period.

I agree that the folks at TSR are a nice bunch. However, I never had any service work done there.

The8Ball
12-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Take it to TSR top notch family runs the place, then head to Lockhart for the best BBQ on the planet. :D Get your skin and have any decent shop install it.

I do find it funny that guys with 18/20 year old boats think everyone should know everything about them and stock all the parts.......... Really??

My guess is there would be quite a few Honda dealers who have never worked on an 88 civic. :D
When you walk into a MasterCraft dealership and say 'ProStar' ... be it 190... or 205... or 209... and the person helping you doesn't even know the 'basics' about parts on those boats... something is wrong. Like they've never heard of that kind of boat. Must be uncommon.

Compare that to skidim. Those people rock. You'd think the people who made your boat would know as much as an aftermarket parts company, especially if you claim to sell parts.

I'm not painting all dealerships with this same brush. I'm sure there are excellent ones out there. Hopefully, one will return to Houston. City of 4+ million, lakes everywhere, and the coast... makes no sense NOT to have one. It just needs to be a good one.

broncotw
12-02-2010, 11:53 AM
TSR gets my vote! I have utilized them for service several times and they have done a great job each time and in a timely fashion also!

jdl xstar
12-02-2010, 12:13 PM
I remember seeing that Mario Williams of the houston texans bought a loaded X80 from that dealership a year or so ago. I would think the mark up on that boat would keep that dealership alive for a while.

willyt
12-02-2010, 12:35 PM
This is rather interesting because wake nation Houston is opening next year. Wake Nation cincinnati has paired with CincyMC here and has been doing quite well (IMO, I think the partnership with wake nation brings them alot of business). Perhaps we'll see a dealership re-open partnered with wake nation?

Kyle
12-02-2010, 01:02 PM

I'm assuming your last paragraph is sarcastic, but just in case.....having lived in Houston and Dallas, I'd take Houston over Dallas everyday and twice on Sunday. Dallas was the worst place I've ever lived including stints in NY, Chicago, Houston, Austin, Dallas and now Silicon Valley. The problem with both Dallas and Houston was the dearth of good skiing water, but at least Houston had the San Jac back when I lived there pre-flood damage.

Probably because there is no smooth water in Texas, period.

I agree that the folks at TSR are a nice bunch. However, I never had any service work done there.

Houston is worse than Dallas by far. Now don't get me wrong Dallas is bad. Both cities do have quality neighborhoods with class. Houston on the other hand has no zoning. You buy a nice house, then next year a investor buys the property next door. He may build a gas station, apartments, a mall, or open up a trailer park next to your million dollar home. It makes no sense. The woodlands is a little different.

As far as skiing goes I think the water could not be better. Both cities have well thought out Waterski communities on private ski lakes. Smooth as glass every day. I have skied many or tournaments in both cities and will have to say a lot of money has been invested and they are all top notch.

gts-20
12-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I just got off the phone with Josh @ TSR. He seemed very eager to help us get our service done .

He mentioned that he knew about the Houston MC problems, but he said he was not at liberty to discuss it, and that he understood our frustration.

I think we will be headed west, maybe this weekend, to drop of our 214 for it's winter service.

Thanks Josh & TSR. It was nice to speak with someone that wants our business.

east tx skier
12-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Houston is worse than Dallas by far. Now don't get me wrong Dallas is bad. Both cities do have quality neighborhoods with class. Houston on the other hand has no zoning. You buy a nice house, then next year a investor buys the property next door. He may build a gas station, apartments, a mall, or open up a trailer park next to your million dollar home. It makes no sense. The woodlands is a little different.

As far as skiing goes I think the water could not be better. Both cities have well thought out Waterski communities on private ski lakes. Smooth as glass every day. I have skied many or tournaments in both cities and will have to say a lot of money has been invested and they are all top notch.

I'm sorry, that is inaccurate. There is no good skiable water in Texas. You must be thinking of Oklahoma. Anyone looking for skiable water in Texas needs to check out the neighboring states.

TX.X-30 fan
12-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm sorry, that is inaccurate. There is no good skiable water in Texas. You must be thinking of Oklahoma. Anyone looking for skiable water in Texas needs to check out the neighboring states.

What little ski-able water is loaded with microorganisms that produce paralysis and then death 12 to 24 hours after exposure.

TX.X-30 fan
12-02-2010, 01:17 PM
I just got off the phone with Josh @ TSR. He seemed very eager to help us get our service done .

He mentioned that he knew about the Houston MC problems, but he said he was not at liberty to discuss it, and that he understood our frustration.

I think we will be headed west, maybe this weekend, to drop of our 214 for it's winter service.

Thanks Josh & TSR. It was nice to speak with someone that wants our business.

Other option in our climate is to spend 20min. and drain it yourself.

Archimedes
12-02-2010, 01:30 PM

Well I was talking about public water, the kind that 99% of of the boating public skis on.

Dallas - land of the 5,000 square foot, box shaped, 'upscale' tract home with gold plated porch lights and $2 stockade fencing. I've never seen a city with less character. Houston at least has some character to its neighborhoods and the city has a bit of cultural diversity. Dallas is just tract homes and shopping malls. Not that there's anything wrong with that... ;)

gts-20
12-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Other option in our climate is to spend 20min. and drain it yourself.

Already drained it, and winterized the ballast tanks.

We need a full service done, as well as some warranty concerns addressed. I also called Texas MC in FT Worth, they even recomended TSR, saying it was closer to me, but that they would be happy to take care of us if we wanted to make the drive.

TayMC197
12-02-2010, 01:32 PM

Take it to Texas Mastercraft in Fort Worth, I have great service with this crew. Or go see Estiban at Bennett's, he will get you what you need. I have had great luck with probably the 6 other dealerships I have walked in but Houston was by far the worst... Sorry to see they went under but unless you were buying, they didn't care to help you. They didn't convince me to want to buy new from them as well. I'm in the market for a new boat too.

Kyle
12-02-2010, 01:33 PM
I retract my statement. It should have said "THERE IS NO SKIABLE WATER IN TEXAS!!!!!" or "We ONLY have WHITECAPS..."

kbob
12-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Will their current inventory that is still sitting on the lot as of this morning be redistributed among other dealerships?

gts-20
12-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Take it to Texas Mastercraft in Fort Worth, I have great service with this crew. Or go see Estiban at Bennett's, he will get you what you need. I have had great luck with probably the 6 other dealerships I have walked in but Houston was by far the worst... Sorry to see they went under but unless you were buying, they didn't care to help you. They didn't convince me to want to buy new from them as well. I'm in the market for a new boat too.

We did buy the boat from them (Houston MC), @ the boat show. Their service was ok, nothing stellar. We just wanted to support our dealer, as well as protect our waranty by having the dealer service the boat.

I called Texas Mastercraft. They were very nice, but recomended TSR, saying it was closer to me.

gts-20
12-02-2010, 01:55 PM
The number for MC in Vonore, TN is (423) 884-2221.

called this #, but it just rings off the wall, no answer. thank you though

bobx1
12-02-2010, 01:56 PM
What little ski-able water is loaded with microorganisms that produce paralysis and then death 12 to 24 hours after exposure.

That's because 90% of the popluation uses the ski-able water to bathe and use the restroom. Si amigo????

ttu
12-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Will their current inventory that is still sitting on the lot as of this morning be redistributed among other dealerships?

saw their inventory listed over on http://www.dallasboats4sale.com/

east tx skier
12-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Well I was talking about public water, the kind that 99% of of the boating public skis on.

Dallas - land of the 5,000 square foot, box shaped, 'upscale' tract home with gold plated porch lights and $2 stockade fencing. I've never seen a city with less character. Houston at least has some character to its neighborhoods and the city has a bit of cultural diversity. Dallas is just tract homes and shopping malls. Not that there's anything wrong with that... ;)

I'm a native of Houston and love many things about it. I don't miss the summertime climate though.

TX.X-30 fan
12-02-2010, 03:42 PM
That's because 90% of the popluation uses the ski-able water to bathe and use the restroom. Si amigo????

Yes very little running water and even fewer toilets..........:D

sand2snow22
12-02-2010, 04:01 PM

MCwake
12-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Texas Ski Ranch for sure. They are a top MC dealer in the entire country. They'll be able to help out big time.

gts-20
12-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Texas Ski Ranch for sure. They are a top MC dealer in the entire country. They'll be able to help out big time.

We finally heard back from Mastercraft customer service in TN. They even highly recomended that we use TSR.

TX.X-30 fan
12-02-2010, 06:01 PM

I agree.......

skireel
12-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Texas Tige in Conroe services ALL inboards. They have great service and the turn around is fast.
www.texastige.com

TX.X-30 fan
12-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Texas Tige in Conroe services ALL inboards. They have great service and the turn around is fast.
www.texastige.com

What tige do you ride.........:D

scott023
12-02-2010, 06:12 PM
What tige do you ride.........:D

She goes by "Kathy". 8p

Ric
12-02-2010, 06:33 PM
I retract my statement. It should have said "THERE IS NO SKIABLE WATER IN TEXAS!!!!!" or "We ONLY have WHITECAPS..."

no jobs either. Lots of traffic and pollution.

I recommend a state with lower taxes and more green energy policies

TX.X-30 fan
12-02-2010, 06:57 PM
no jobs either. Lots of traffic and pollution.

I recommend a state with lower taxes and more green energy policies

I hear Oregon is nice this time of year..........:confused:

mccobmd
12-02-2010, 07:10 PM

If you're a duck maybe.;)

bobx1
12-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Yes very little running water and even fewer toilets..........:D

You should clarify that MOST of the population just has never been taught how to use running water or toilets even though there is plenty available. I am having to listen to spanish on tape just to be able to purchase beer and Skoal in South Houston.

Skipper
12-02-2010, 08:46 PM
IMO being a boat dealer in the past 4 years is an effort in futility. Unless there is a dire emergency, people would rather find a fix online. Often on the mfg's sites...

How dare the people want to be able to fix their own boats! And using the internet to get information about how to fix their boats? That is just crazy on all counts! Next thing you know, Mastercraft will have a website with forum to share information on how to fix your own boats. Think about the fallout in the boating world. This is horrible!

...Everyone *****es online about the price of service at their local dealer. But soon enough everyone will be *****ing that they don't have a local dealer..??...

What is wrong with those blubbering boat owners? $150 to $300 an hour for service is awesome! And there is nothing better than dropping your boat off at the dealer, then waiting three weeks to get an impeller replaced. That's three weeks that you don't have to wipe down the boat everytime you pull it out from spending the day on the water.

...The fallout will continue. Hopefully nobody servicing boats themselves will have a catostrophic failure that they need a dealer to complete.

Curse those do it yourselfers! They will come begging on their hands and knees but their tears will fall to the ground in waste, because the mighty dealer man will not be there to pick up the pieces.

8p8p8p8p

TX.X-30 fan
12-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Everyone wants superb dealers and no one is willing to spend a dime there, those two situations are why dealers struggle and fail. (calm Down) not the only reasons but you really should listen to yourselves, wanting to walk in get parts and advice on old boats and go home and not spend squat............... Won't work and as we see it isn't. These dealers cannot (as much as you want to believe) make rent payments and payroll on new boat sales alone. I wish them luck in this economy, and I'm glad not to be in their shoes.

TX.X-30 fan
12-02-2010, 10:09 PM
JohnE is dead on accurate, some just don't have the tools to understand basic business principal.

The8Ball
12-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Everyone wants superb dealers and no one is willing to spend a dime there, those two situations are why dealers struggle and fail. (calm Down) not the only reasons but you really should listen to yourselves, wanting to walk in get parts and advice on old boats and go home and not spend squat............... Won't work and as we see it isn't. These dealers cannot (as much as you want to believe) make rent payments and payroll on new boat sales alone. I wish them luck in this economy, and I'm glad not to be in their shoes.
I'd love to spend plenty of money, buying parts from a dealer. Never said I wanted anything free or go home and 'not spend squat.' If they don't sell parts, skidim does. Lord knows, I've spent plenty. Someone is going to get my money. That's how it is, owning a boat.

And for dealers who cannot make rent on new boat sales alone... maybe they should offer parts and service, in addition to new boat sales... and not just pretend to.

Skipper
12-03-2010, 08:19 AM
...(calm Down) not the only reasons but you really should listen to yourselves, wanting to walk in get parts and advice on old boats and go home and not spend squat....

I don't believe that anybody suggested that they want something for nothing. But I am just a tool without any business tools to understand these things.

In my own experience, I purchased my boats from private owners. I do almost all of the service and repairs myself. I buy parts from SKIDIM and others online, but I have also bought parts from boat dealerships. I have had great experiences with some of these dealers who, when I call asking for a part for my 15 year old boat are very willing to sell me something. I have never called or walked into a dealership to ask for advice, directions, or a cup of coffee even.

Think about automobiles for a moment. Many people purchase new cars/trucks from dealerships. Some purchase from private owners. Some people get their vehicles serviced at dealerships, some at auto shops, and some do it themselves. They go to parts stores. They shop online for parts and advice.

I may be a tool with no tools to understand the business world, but as a customer, businesses are competing for my money. The business that offers me the best price, customer service, or product, (for that particular problem), is going to get my money.

It is unfortunate that this boat dealership had to close down. It causes grief for the business owner and his employees. Bad deal all the way around. It is not the fault of old boat owners. Our economy is going down the toilet.

Double D
12-03-2010, 09:39 AM
You should clarify that MOST of the population just has never been taught how to use running water or toilets even though there is plenty available. I am having to listen to spanish on tape just to be able to purchase beer and Skoal in South Houston.

Now that is completely wrong. Live in America = Speak English. If I chose to live in a different country I would speak their language, not expect their entire country to change!

Press "1" to hear this in English!! TOTAL BS!!

Sorry for the threadjack, its a sore subject for me..... :rolleyes:

JohnE
12-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Skip, you don't fit the mold of my postings. I have no problem with people doing all thier own repairs. I do the little work required on mine myself too. When something goes wrong that I can't handle I'll bring it wherever I have to to get it fixed. Be it here in MA, or NJ, or North Carolina. I won't be happy if I have to drive 3 or 12 hours to do it, but I knew that possibility when I bought my first boat. TX summed up my thoughts well. The dealers just can't make enough on boat sales. And with little service work the numbers don't always work to keep the best of the best mechanics, service managers, and parts guys on staff. Often they don't make enough to even keep the doors open.

If you don't support your dealer with regular service, just don't come yelling and screaming online when you do need something and they don't have it, or can't get to it right away, or charge more than you feel is justified. Or if they went out of business. I know that isn't you Skip, but that was the point I was trying to make.

JohnE
12-03-2010, 09:56 AM

So as a Mod I can't have my own opinion?

I'd be glad to help support you. I can't help it if a dealer went out of business though.

Kyle
12-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Now that is completely wrong. Live in America = Speak English. If I chose to live in a different country I would speak their language, not expect their entire country to change!

Press "1" to hear this in English!! TOTAL BS!!

Sorry for the threadjack, its a sore subject for me..... :rolleyes:

Thank you for posting this. My tactful way would get my fingers smacked with the yardstick again.

I 100% agree

The8Ball
12-03-2010, 10:24 AM
All this talk of:

A.) Dealer's can't make it just selling new boats,

B.) Because they can't make it selling just new boats - they sell parts, and service.

Between the two of these... what is the profit margin? I've always wondered.

$50,000 for an 'entry level' boat? What is the profit margin? Doesn't 50K seem kinda high?

vs...

$100 to $200 for a tachometer, for an old boat (which I'd love to buy... from someone, if they could just get me the part!)

It would seem to me... it's all about boat sales. Maybe service. But definitely not parts.

JohnE
12-03-2010, 10:27 AM
All this talk of:

A.) Dealer's can't make it just selling new boats,

B.) Because they can't make it selling just new boats - they sell parts, and service.

Between the two of these... what is the profit margin? I've always wondered.

$50,000 for an 'entry level' boat? What is the profit margin? Doesn't 50K seem kinda high?

vs...

$100 to $200 for a tachometer, for an old boat (which I'd love to buy... from someone, if they could just get me the part!)

It would seem to me... it's all about boat sales. Maybe service. But definitely not parts.

It all adds up IMO. Otherwise skidim wouldn't sell parts. :confused:

One dealer had a huge list of parts online. I imagine he did that for a reason. Not sure if it is still out there.

JohnE
12-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Here it is. http://www.charlotteskiboats.com/mastercraft_parts.cfm

I'd guess that it is worth their time to sell parts. Not saying that is what keeps the doors open, but it helps.

gts-20
12-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Back to the original topic of this thread....Thank you East TX Skier for the MC phone #. We had a great conversation on the phone yesterday with the MC rep for the Houston area. He appologized for any problems casused by the closing of the dealer here, even though it had nothing to do with him personally. He was not able to discuss the specifics about the situation, but said the dealer had just gotten into trouble that they couldn't recover from. He highly recomended TSR to us, saying that they had one of their top MC techs working there and that TSR was one of the top performing dealers in the country. He assured us that MC/Texas Ski Ranch would address any concerns we had left over from Houston MC's work (some previous repairs were done with poor results), as well as make sure any new concerns would be handled by TSR. He mentioned that there was a plan in place to bring another dealer into the Houston area asap. He asked us to call him personally if we had any problems dealing w/ TSR, but said he was sure they would welcome us and our business with open arms. We are looking forward to working with TSR and will keep our eyes open for a new MC dealer opening in Houston soon.

Cobra Rob
12-03-2010, 02:09 PM

ROFL.... As someone who grew up in Houston and now lives in Portland, and owns a MC I thought I should comment..

Oregon kinda sucks... though I have little to no desire to move back to Houston, I would love to move to Austin but would accept any other Texas city probably.. Just pesky issue of finding a job.

CantRepeat
12-03-2010, 02:24 PM
nvm........

oldairboater
12-03-2010, 04:42 PM
I went all the way through this thread. I live less then fifty miles from Houston. When I called them for advice on my old, no longer supported boat. They had no advice. Couldn't or wouldn't find parts or offer much help. Good riddance. I use mechanics and shops when I need to or if the work is beyond my garage unless my garage is the only good game in town. I can do all my own work but it is not by choice. Sometimes it is easier for me to earn extra money to pay for repairs then to do the repairs.

east tx skier
12-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Long time Team Talk Member, aprgriggs, or her family was involved with Houston MC at some level. She hasn't been on the site here in some time, but you might try contacting her.

Link to her Profile (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=398).

Jim@BAWS
12-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Unfortunatly there are dealers who do not have the background to support the older boats. MC does not make alot of the parts for those boats anymore. Tune up parts are readily available at any dealer who supports the older motors. We had a owner call the other day to tuneup his early 80s Stars and Stripes equipped with a Chysler 360 or 380. I personally would not even know where to start. Some of the older boats had oddball motors placed in them.

We are fortunate. We have trained our 2 techs to work on 351s either 240 HP or 285. Many do not even know how to adjust a carb or manually set timing. All the 1994 to current engines hook upto a computer and it will tell you the issue. A true tech can diagnose a varity of issues vs being a glorified parts swapper.

All in all...it is tough out there. No matter if service is busy or not. Both sales and service feed off each other. You cannot do one without the other!!! MC dealers are required under the current agreement to have a MC / INDMAR certified Tech on staff and available

Jim@BAWS

ski_king
12-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Unfortunatly there are dealers who do not have the background to support the older boats. MC does not make alot of the parts for those boats anymore. Tune up parts are readily available at any dealer who supports the older motors. We had a owner call the other day to tuneup his early 80s Stars and Stripes equipped with a Chysler 360 or 380. I personally would not even know where to start. Some of the older boats had oddball motors placed in them.

We are fortunate. We have trained our 2 techs to work on 351s either 240 HP or 285. Many do not even know how to adjust a carb or manually set timing. All the 1994 to current engines hook upto a computer and it will tell you the issue. A true tech can diagnose a varity of issues vs being a glorified parts swapper.

All in all...it is tough out there. No matter if service is busy or not. Both sales and service feed off each other. You cannot do one without the other!!! MC dealers are required under the current agreement to have a MC / INDMAR certified Tech on staff and available

Jim@BAWS

Glad to see there are dealers out there to help work on the old carbed 351's.

Looks like the techs will need to get Ilmor certs now.

Jim@BAWS
12-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Glad to see there are dealers out there to help work on the old carbed 351's.

Looks like the techs will need to get Ilmor certs now.

Already have...

Jim@BAWS

tex
12-03-2010, 07:36 PM

This is so right...Dallas sucks, Houston sucks.....stay the heck out of Fort Worth too...those people are terrible!

tex
12-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Long time Team Talk Member, aprgriggs, or her family was involved with Houston MC at some level. She hasn't been on the site here in some time, but you might try contacting her.

Link to her Profile (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=398).

I miss her!!!

Skipper
12-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Jim, you are a good man. You have great customer service. Keep up the good work.

Timbo126
12-03-2010, 09:10 PM
I just drove by Bay Watersports in MD the other day to see they went out of buisness this year as well. They did not have a very good reputation in the area but still the only closest around.

I ended up moving to south florida to go to school though and took my 197 with me. I became very good friends with the people at South Florida Mastercraft. They are incredibly quick with their service, will tackle any inboard ski boat question no matter what year the boat is. But also where they have probably gotten most of my money from is custom installations. I am constantly coming up with custom ideas for my boat and they have tackled every idea I have thrown at them.

Jim@BAWS
12-04-2010, 01:49 PM
I just drove by Bay Watersports in MD the other day to see they went out of buisness this year as well. They did not have a very good reputation in the area but still the only closest around.

I ended up moving to south florida to go to school though and took my 197 with me. I became very good friends with the people at South Florida Mastercraft. They are incredibly quick with their service, will tackle any inboard ski boat question no matter what year the boat is. But also where they have probably gotten most of my money from is custom installations. I am constantly coming up with custom ideas for my boat and they have tackled every idea I have thrown at them.

Mike and his team are dedicated down there...especially with there new facility

Welcome to Florida

Jim@BAWS

aswile
12-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Bay Watersports closing is no surprise- they were horrible for sales or service. I am just disappointed that there is no one closer than four hours away to have my boat worked on.

X-Aggie
12-05-2010, 11:47 PM
MasterCraft will be at the Houston Boat show with some new faces, and a couple old. I can assure the attitude will be completly different, with far more attention paid to service issues, as well as proper customer relations. Matt

Ric
12-06-2010, 01:07 PM
MasterCraft will be at the Houston Boat show with some new faces, and a couple old. I can assure the attitude will be completly different, with far more attention paid to service issues, as well as proper customer relations. Matt
We'll have to go to the show and check them out.

Matt, weren't you one of the original principals of Houston MC ?
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=17739
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20142

TayMC197
12-06-2010, 01:17 PM

I still purchased parts from Houston MC. I can't afford to have someone charge me to do something i'm capable of doing myself. All I ask is that when I walk in the door to pick up my parts, treat me like a customer. When I went to pick up my transom decals that cost me $200 bucks (expensive for just 2 stickers) I was blown off cuase I wasn't buying a new boat. Not to mention being treated like dirt once they lady figured found out how old my boat was.

I know how it is for dealerships, I spend much time in my friends motorcycle shop. People always talk about how they can go to Mississippi to pick up a deal thats 800 bucks cheaper. My first response is "Drive your @$$ there and get it". It equals pretty close in the end. But whether your picking up parts, needing advice, or just looking we made everyone of our customers feel welcomed and at home. Result is people pay a little more to keep business local and support their dealership. Being a smaller dealer we can't match the big city prices on motorcycles, four wheelers, etc. We can beat their service though!

TayMC197
12-06-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't believe that anybody suggested that they want something for nothing. But I am just a tool without any business tools to understand these things.

In my own experience, I purchased my boats from private owners. I do almost all of the service and repairs myself. I buy parts from SKIDIM and others online, but I have also bought parts from boat dealerships. I have had great experiences with some of these dealers who, when I call asking for a part for my 15 year old boat are very willing to sell me something. I have never called or walked into a dealership to ask for advice, directions, or a cup of coffee even.

Think about automobiles for a moment. Many people purchase new cars/trucks from dealerships. Some purchase from private owners. Some people get their vehicles serviced at dealerships, some at auto shops, and some do it themselves. They go to parts stores. They shop online for parts and advice.

I may be a tool with no tools to understand the business world, but as a customer, businesses are competing for my money. The business that offers me the best price, customer service, or product, (for that particular problem), is going to get my money.

It is unfortunate that this boat dealership had to close down. It causes grief for the business owner and his employees. Bad deal all the way around. It is not the fault of old boat owners. Our economy is going down the toilet.

Bill you suck at math, so don't do to much figuring! :D

Thrall
12-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I don't understand how it could not be about parts and service contributing largely to the bottom line. How many boats does an average MC delaer sell a year and what's the profit per boat? If it's 25 boats and they make $10k per boat avg, alone won't keep them afloat.
I think parts and repair/service is a big part of the bottom line.
Sell 30 fuel pumps and make as much $ as selling one boat. Makes no sense not to put an emphasis on parts sales.
I am friends with the local Arctic Cat dealer...different price point I know, but same type of industry and affected the same by the economy. This guy sells ALL his machines essentially at cost. Says it's not worth working to get the 10% profit or so that the other dealers try to make on selling their machines. He doesn't have to floor his machines as long, they sell quicker, less interest paid by him. His big motivator is the volume of machines he sells is directly proportional to the amount of parts and repairs he sells whether it's the consumer paying the bill or the mfr paying him for warranty work. He makes a good living, even in these rough economic times because those that are still willing to buy new machines buy from him, he's the cheapest, so he gets more sales and This increases his parts and repairs revenue significantly and he makes most of his $ doing this, not selling machines.
Even if the spread is different with high end boats I bet the parts and service contribute a significant amount to the bottom line.

kingwoodlee
12-06-2010, 02:07 PM

Well that's great news. Look forward to meeting the new crew at the boat show.

dmminfla
12-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Mike and his team are dedicated down there...especially with there new facility

Welcome to Florida

Jim@BAWS

Good people, Im not a big spender there more of a DIY person but they always seem to be friendly an helpful.

X-Aggie
12-06-2010, 04:48 PM
PWe'll have to go to the show and check them out.

Matt, weren't you one of the original principals of Houston MC ?
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=17739
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20142

Ric, we were. My father and I own the land and building the dealership is currently located at. We also were minority partners with the Atkins. Unfortunatly we had strong differences of opinion on dealership attitude, style, and policy that led us to some not so friendly legal procedings. Long story short MasterCraft of course recognises this is a very important market and is commited to making sure the end users get the best support possible. Hopefully I'm lucky enough to be a part of that this go around.

Ric
12-06-2010, 07:05 PM
P

Ric, we were. My father and I own the land and building the dealership is currently located at. We also were minority partners with the Atkins. Unfortunatly we had strong differences of opinion on dealership attitude, style, and policy that led us to some not so friendly legal procedings. Long story short MasterCraft of course recognises this is a very important market and is commited to making sure the end users get the best support possible. Hopefully I'm lucky enough to be a part of that this go around.

Surely you saw my post regarding location. Do you think location played into the lack of success? I mean it's your land, so you want it to work, but I couldn't see yall even when I was really trying :idunno:

TX.X-30 fan
12-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Shirley you saw my post regarding location. Do you think location played into the lack of success? I mean it's your land, so you want it to work, but I couldn't see yall even when I was really trying :idunno:

Don't call him Shirley...............

JohnE
12-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Don't call him Shirley...............

Haha....:D

Skipper
12-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Bill you suck at math, so don't do to much figuring! :D

Your mom! 8p

DocksideMC
12-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey Kyle. I know a little about what is going on with MC in Houston. I was in sales there at HMC for a while and moved on for what is becoming obviously clear issues. (mainly deficiency in service, as i do not want to be associated with that.) With that being said, I am Indmar cert. tech. let me know if you need anything service wise. I'll be more than happy to help you and anyone else concerned in the greater houston metro area. I am on lake conroe and can offer on site service on any service that is simply maintenance. sorry, it's too difficult to diagnose over the phone. On an upside, I'm told that we should be finding out who will be the servicing dealer here in Houston somtime this week.

DocksideMC
12-08-2010, 02:16 PM
I remember seeing that Mario Williams of the houston texans bought a loaded X80 from that dealership a year or so ago. I would think the mark up on that boat would keep that dealership alive for a while.

I sold that one. He def. drove a hard bargain. (free chevy w/ purchase)

DocksideMC
12-08-2010, 02:19 PM
call me if interested in a boat. I can possibly help you :)

JohnE
12-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Dockside, If you email phil.walker@mastercraft.com he can make you a member as opposed to a guest.

J NORRIS
12-08-2010, 04:59 PM
HAAAA! I was on of the lucky ones. My boat was at HMC getting service when they decided to close up shop, lock the gates and keep my boat captive for two weeks and not return my phone calls either. My boat resides in a garage and I was worried about the temps outside dropping below freezing, luckily we didn't have freeaing temps until after I got my boat back in the garage.

Matt eventually called me and filled me in on the situation there. Hopefully this spring we will have a new MC dealership with a new attitude and worthy of my money.
The only reason I took my boat to this dealership, is because I trusted their lead tech Chris.
Will wait and see.......:(

DocksideMC
12-08-2010, 09:08 PM
HAAAA! I was on of the lucky ones. My boat was at HMC getting service when they decided to close up shop, lock the gates and keep my boat captive for two weeks and not return my phone calls either. My boat resides in a garage and I was worried about the temps outside dropping below freezing, luckily we didn't have freeaing temps until after I got my boat back in the garage.

Matt eventually called me and filled me in on the situation there. Hopefully this spring we will have a new MC dealership with a new attitude and worthy of my money.
The only reason I took my boat to this dealership, is because I trusted their lead tech Chris.
Will wait and see.......:(

Norris, I am sorry to hear that your boat was there at that time. I have serviced a few customers that were in similar situations. Matt is a good guy and i'm glad that he was able to help you out. If you need anything from now til then, feel free to email or pm me. I am VERY familar with MC and your boat. cheers Don

DocksideMC
12-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Dockside, If you email phil.walker@mastercraft.com he can make you a member as opposed to a guest.

been reviewing tt for a long time. Guess i decided to jump in. Cheers! Don

TX.X-30 fan
12-08-2010, 09:57 PM
This thread is just bizarre now, free cars with boats, boats never returned and a guy looking for side work................

JohnE
12-09-2010, 12:04 AM
This thread is just bizarre now, free cars with boats, boats never returned and a guy looking for side work................

lets toss mr malloy in for good measure and it'll be a real keeper.

Ric
12-09-2010, 12:07 PM

or a fast gone'r

TX.X-30 fan
12-09-2010, 07:27 PM

gET gOLDBERG ON THAT dUDE.................:D

makaveli2308
12-09-2010, 08:18 PM
It was mentioned earlier that the houston boats are for sale on another website, but when you ring the number it says the box is full ?

Anyone know who you need to talk to to enquire about the boats ? The black and white x2 2010 is nice....

JohnE
12-10-2010, 08:56 AM
gET gOLDBERG ON THAT dUDE.................:D

:D:D:D.......................

DocksideMC
12-10-2010, 04:18 PM

I came over to DSM about 10 months ago from Houston MC. I am just trying to be helpful. (it really has been bizzare, though.)

TX.X-30 fan
12-10-2010, 06:42 PM
I came over to DSM about 10 months ago from Houston MC. I am just trying to be helpful. (it really has been bizzare, though.)

Good luck no offence intended.

DocksideMC
12-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Good luck no offence intended.

none taken.

DocksideMC
12-13-2010, 07:13 PM
OK. It's official. Dockside Marine on Lake Conroe is your new Houston Region MC dealer. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and seeing those of you that we know already!! If you need any service give us a call in the morning to get you scheduled up. Thanks!!

Don McCain
DSM sales
936-447-6163 office

turbosdad
12-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Don, are yall moving all the HMC boats up to that location? Make any hot deals??

Robert

DocksideMC
12-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Don, are yall moving all the HMC boats up to that location? Make any hot deals??

Robert

What do you have in mind? certain boat?

rmayhew-tt
12-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know where Chris, lead mechanic from Houston MasterCraft, is now; e.g. location, phone number, email address, new boat repair location or whatever??

skiboat
12-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Does this mean that Dockside Marine is going to be selling Nautiques and Mastercrafts side by side?