PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Sierra/ Silverado 2500HD Duramax-- realized gas mileage?

Eric2010MCX2
11-30-2010, 12:01 AM
So has anyone gotten any experience with the 2011 Sierra/ Silverado 2500HD Duramax?

They say 18.8 mpg highway... but what about real world combined or stop and go driving?

Also... what about when towing (around 5,000 lbs or so)?

Anybody who has the pre 2011 with the emissions equipment.. I'd be interested in the gas mileage you are getting as well.

We are planning on ordering in January.. and this is still one question I have not gotten a good answer to.

TXX9
11-30-2010, 12:49 AM
is whatever you find out going to prevent you from ordering?

TXX9
11-30-2010, 12:51 AM
it will be alot better than you get with your MCX, that's for sure!

timvan
11-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Chec out dieselplace.com.

No expereince with the new dmax, but my 06 gets way better milage than that . I can get a consistant 17 when pulling the Maristar, 15 with the 36' 5th wheel travel trailer and a bit over 20 unloaded.
Mind you this isnt a bone stock truck

Eric2010MCX2
11-30-2010, 08:15 AM
is whatever you find out going to prevent you from ordering?

If it's bad enough it will.

Eric2010MCX2
11-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Chec out dieselplace.com.

No expereince with the new dmax, but my 06 gets way better milage than that . I can get a consistant 17 when pulling the Maristar, 15 with the 36' 5th wheel travel trailer and a bit over 20 unloaded.
Mind you this isnt a bone stock truck

what all have you done to it modification wise?

Ric
11-30-2010, 08:21 AM
If it's bad enough it will.
Mine's an 08Crew 4x4 with LMM / Allison so it has all the emmisions BS and I get around 14 around town (according to the IC) and about 16ish on the highway .

towing on the highway is back about 14 on a trip

This is with no mods other than larger tires which I've factored into these numbers.

Can't speak for the 2011 but the 08's a beast of a setup! And bonus, the wheels haven't fallen off like a Dodge :D

FourFourty
11-30-2010, 10:31 AM
I just got a 2011 Denali HD 2500 w/Duramax LML. I got 18.7MPG on the first tank, and 19.5 on the second. My commute is a 45 mile with good roads. One portion is a 1800ft climb over a mountain with a 7-8% average grade on both sides . Average speed is 50-55 with only two stop signs between. It is smooth consistant travel, so I would expect highway mileage wouldnt be much different..... Still very good for a 3/4 ton crew cab

Have not towed with it yet..... My LMM got 15MPG towing a 4place enclosed motorcycle trailer from VT to Daytona.... It was probably around 5000lbs with some wind resistance. Trailer was a v-nose though. My LMM was chipped, which def helped towing economy.

Double D
11-30-2010, 10:58 AM
I have owned two Chevy Avalanche trucks. They say the estimated MPG was 17. I got the truck to haul my boat. Someone once told me when you buy a truck like what your looking at, your not buying it for the good gas mileage, so why does it matter. :D:D

jkski
11-30-2010, 03:13 PM
I have a 2006 LBZ CC 2500HD 4x4 (completely stock) and while this is not the exact truck you are looking at I can give you some actual figures from a recent trip. On a recent 1400 mile roundtrip run, I got 16-17mpg averaging 70-75mph while going from Ohio to Missouri(700miles) with just the truck. The return trip had an X-7(about 3500-4k lbs) behind it and running the same speed we got 14mpg.

TXMC-06X2
11-30-2010, 04:13 PM
The 2011 is also going to have the urea tank on it, which I have heard is a pain in the a$$.

timvan
11-30-2010, 04:13 PM
what all have you done to it modification wise?

Efi live custom porgramming, lift pumps, 5" exhaust no cat, intake, intercooler, transmission..thats the majors

I could probly get better mpg if I didnt have a heavy foot...but its fun to go fast in a big truck ;)

rjracin240
11-30-2010, 04:21 PM
I could probly get better mpg if I didnt have a heavy foot...but its fun to go fast in a big truck ;)[/QUOTE]

Until it is time to stop LOL, hope I am not in front of you if I have to stop quick while commuting in my 97 40 MPG Honda Civic.

HAD a F250 till the price of diesel went stupid and I wasn’t getting any more Jet-A. Feel the pain of you diesel owners at the pump but do miss driving ol Cletus.

If anyone local is interested in my 70 Gallon aluminum diamond plate AUX tank with tool chest PM me. Gonna use the pump for transferring gas to the boat when it is on the lift

vision
11-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Eric, do you need the diesel for pulling anything else or just the X2? Reason I ask is that depending on how many tow miles you anticipate versus just commute miles, it can be more economical to buy a used HD truck for towing only, and buy a different vehicle for your daily truck activities.

I went a slightly different route. I do not trailer my X-star often so I bought a Tacoma. Pulls the Star fine, but certainly if I was pulling long hauls over a few hundred miles, or towing thousands of miles a year, I would select a better towing vehicle. But the Tacoma gets 20 MPG non-towing and 98% of its use is non-towing.

Do you ever get up to LKG?

bobx1
11-30-2010, 05:37 PM
THREADJACK ON

I went from a 2007 F250 supercrew 4x4 King Ranch (my third since 1999) to a 2009 F150 Supercrew 4x4 King Ranch and there was a big wow. No more paying big bucks for fuel, plusher ride, nicer interior (at the time, the new F250's are just as nice inside now) slightly better mileage, etc. and the F150 pulls my X1 fine.

All trucks have a sweet spot when it comes to fuel consumption. My experience is both the 150 and 250 hit that spot around 70-72mph but hook up a boat or anything with weight and/or wind resistance to the F150 and the mileage goes to crap.

My wife asked me the other day what I was going to get next and told her it was probably another F250. I miss the size, I miss the noise, I miss the smell!!

THREADJACK OFF

Forrest-X45
11-30-2010, 05:51 PM
The 2011 is also going to have the urea tank on it, which I have heard is a pain in the a$$.

The UREA or DEF isn't that bad from what I have seen and heard. Just fill the DEF tank everytime you change the oil, the only reason you would need to fill it more often than that would be if you are towing heavy all the time. The DEF fluid should be sold at your local auto parts stores now and will be cheaper than your dealer.

If you decide to order a new 2011 just make sure your dealer tops off the DEF tank during delivery. The factory only ships new trucks to dealers with half a tank of DEF and some customers are complaining thinking they are burning through DEF faster than normal. The reason being they only started with half a tank......

If you like the 2011 trucks I would not let the DEF steer you from purchasing one. The 2011 are getting alot better fuel economy than the 2010's from what I have seen and heard. I consistantly get over 20 mpg and 14 mpg towing 12K pounds in very hilly terrian with mine but I have a pre-emissions Duramax which makes a world of difference.

Eric2010MCX2
11-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Eric, do you need the diesel for pulling anything else or just the X2? Reason I ask is that depending on how many tow miles you anticipate versus just commute miles, it can be more economical to buy a used HD truck for towing only, and buy a different vehicle for your daily truck activities.

I went a slightly different route. I do not trailer my X-star often so I bought a Tacoma. Pulls the Star fine, but certainly if I was pulling long hauls over a few hundred miles, or towing thousands of miles a year, I would select a better towing vehicle. But the Tacoma gets 20 MPG non-towing and 98% of its use is non-towing.

Do you ever get up to LKG?

Vision.... only need the diesel for pulling the X2. I would like to start going to falls more often in season and Hyco more off season... Falls is 70 mile round trip and Hyco is about 3 hours round trip (not sure how many miles)... right now I get 7mpg towing,, so doubling my mpg while towing and having unlimited power is pricele$$ for us. We already have my F150 that was my great grandfathers that we tow with now which I could never get rid of and then my wife has an altima (30 mpg all day every day)... so needless to say there is no more room in the garage/ driveway for another car. I am still trying to figure out how to get 3 cars and a boat in a 3 car garage in our next house, so we can finally store the boat at home.

I think you ride with my buddy Richard up at Gaston.... look me up on FB... eric fletcher

ok... back to bidness..... anymore insight on the mpg for the 2011 Duramax from anyone?

pmkkdx
11-30-2010, 08:41 PM
threadjack2
I guess a Dodge with the Cummins isn't an option for you?

I drove nothing but GM products up until '91 when I switched to a Cummins Dodge ... 8 trucks later, with each well over 200k miles without any issues (other than injector pumps every ~100K) before trading off for newer body style or extra features. I still have an '02 4x4 (186K miles) as my normal tow vehicle for our X2, g/n low boy with 9k# tractor, 28 ft. travel trailer, 32 ft. g/n 3 horse slant with full living quarters ... realistic 19-19.5 hwy unloaded, 13.8-14.5 towing any of the previous. My '05 2wd Laramie daily driver (110K miles) consistantly at 23.5-24.2 mpg hwy and never have really towed anything other than open motorcycle trailer with 3-5 dirt bikes or Kubota RTV and still around 17.5-18 mpg. actually gets better mileage than my wife's 2wd 4runner on highway and a heck of a lot more comfortable for my 6'3".

been looking closely at the '10/'11 with the updated cab space and additional leg room in rear seat, a/c seats available in the Laramie (nice in TX summers). will be upgrading to one of this design in the next year or so when I get a few other things paid off.

yeah, I know ... I used to think poorly of a Dodge, but I wouldn't have anything else (unless Chevy/GMC were to switch to a Cummins :cool:).

just thought I'd throw that on the table to consider too.
endthreadjack2 :D

Latetowork
12-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Get the Diesel, get the one you want, and don't look back.

I have an '09 250 that gets 14 unloaded around town, and 14 towing my X30. When I hit 50k, I'm going to drop the emissions crap and I should get 17-18.

The DEF isn't that big of a deal, get it topped off when you buy, and just top it off when you get your oil changed. Truck stops are starting to carry it next to the fuel pumps, so after a while you'll be able to get it all over the place. This coming from my buddy who has an '11 350.

TayMC197
12-01-2010, 07:34 PM
My 02 Duramax gets 18 combined. My highway mileage is in the 20-21 range and around town is 15-16(me getting on the gas). This is with a 6" lift and 35" tires. Not to mention heavy @$$ bumpers.

I'm sure the 2011 will have aftermarket upgrades that will boost its performance.

TayMC197
12-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Get the Diesel, get the one you want, and don't look back.

I have an '09 250 that gets 14 unloaded around town, and 14 towing my X30. When I hit 50k, I'm going to drop the emissions crap and I should get 17-18.

The DEF isn't that big of a deal, get it topped off when you buy, and just top it off when you get your oil changed. Truck stops are starting to carry it next to the fuel pumps, so after a while you'll be able to get it all over the place. This coming from my buddy who has an '11 350.

Dropping your exhuast + programmer + intake will make a huge difference on that truck! You can get close to 20 actually.. Dad has the same truck but a dually or (F350) I believe its the 3.83 rear end on his. Not the 4.10!