PDA

View Full Version : cracks in gel coat

DJ 50
11-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Just joined the site and this is my first post. I know this has been talk about but I needed some clarification. I just bought my first boat, a 2010 PS 197 TT with 140 hours. When I got it home and was cleaning it up I noticed some small hairline cracks right behind the seats in the bow. I have transfered the warranty however from what I am reading it appears this type of damge is only covered in the first year. The boat was bought brand new 13 months ago. Am I going to be screwed here? I keep seeing people talking about this repair work not being cheap. If I do have to pay for it myself how much are we talking?

The8Ball
11-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I have a 98 PS 205. It has a few hairline cracks just under the rear deck sun pad area in the corners. You can't see them when the cushion is installed.

It's cosmetic, and nothing to be worried about.

I would not worry about this... because... in the near future, there will be plenty other 'little things' to worry about, that will displace any concerns you have now. For example, if it were me... I would try to buff those cracks out - only to have accidentally punctured the vinyl. Then, in disgust... I would jump out of the boat, not watching, step in some oil... get back in the boat - now I have an oil stain on the carpet. Try to get that oil stain out with some acetone, accidentally erase my capacity decal. See?

All that said... I found an excellent fiberglass shop in the Houston area that repaired my SilentMaster mufflers for $100 - both of them. The key is finding a good shop, local in your area. Maybe someone from the midwest can chime in.

Thrall
11-29-2010, 11:34 AM
If they're just cosmetic gelcoat spider cracks don't worry about it. Haven't seen a fiberglass boat yet that didn't have a few spider cracks somewhere.

etduc
11-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Just joined the site and this is my first post. I know this has been talk about but I needed some clarification. I just bought my first boat, a 2010 PS 197 TT with 140 hours. When I got it home and was cleaning it up I noticed some small hairline cracks right behind the seats in the bow. I have transfered the warranty however from what I am reading it appears this type of damge is only covered in the first year. The boat was bought brand new 13 months ago. Am I going to be screwed here? I keep seeing people talking about this repair work not being cheap. If I do have to pay for it myself how much are we talking?

If it is gelcoat only, not expensive, new gelcoat (not faded) is easy to color match. Older boats, takes more skill. Shop around for fishing boat repair shops.

DJ 50
11-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Does anyone on here have any recomendations for shops around Beaver Lake in AR?