PDA

View Full Version : Removing ballast guage panel, 06X2?

Thrall
11-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Tried removing the panel that holds the ballast guages and switches to turn the switches 180deg since I flipped the pumps but after taking the screws out but it will only come up about 1/2 ". Really don't want to pull the whole drivers side panel apart to get to the switches.
Anyone remove this? Are all the wires really that short that it won't lift up?

Jerseydave
11-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Hmmm, might be easier to snip and re-splice the connections at the pumps. Make sure you use shrink-tubing on the connections to prevent corrosion.

CantRepeat
11-28-2010, 08:12 PM
You don't have to turn the swith, just change two wires on the back of the switch. I'll post a photo when I get a sec.

vision
11-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Or open the relay box (maybe in the port rear locker in your X2) and switch the wires there. Either way should be easier than at the switch consider the switch location.

g-mantrix
11-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi Thrall, out of interest, what is the reason for flipping the pumps, Im assuming you turned them upseide down?

TallRedRider
11-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi Thrall, out of interest, what is the reason for flipping the pumps, Im assuming you turned them upseide down?

I would be willing to guarantee that he turned them right side up as one of them on the 06's always comes upside down from the factory and that leads to premature failure.

I just spliced the wires near the pump.

Thrall
11-29-2010, 11:17 AM
I would be willing to guarantee that he turned them right side up as one of them on the 06's always comes upside down from the factory and that leads to premature failure.

I just spliced the wires near the pump.

Correct. They're all mounted upside down (impeller is up). I turned them around because it's reported that any minor leak in the pump seal will get water into the pump motor and cause it to fail. The downside is I can't get to the impellers on the rear pumps without taking the pumps loose.
I'll go about switching the power another way, like at teh relay box or switching the wires at the pump, but I still need to get into that panel. Think I pulled one wire loose off of a switch b/c after messing with it, one pump only runs one direction.

bturner2
11-29-2010, 04:40 PM
I was looking to do the same thing on my 07. I lost a pump due to water intrusion the first day I was on vacation last year.

I think I'm going to see about getting a pair of the brackets they use on the 08's , some tubing and moving mine by the engine like the 08's and above. That way I'll hopefully never have to take the back panels off again. I just need to take a look to see how thick the transom is and see if I'll need to glass plates in to mount them to.

Thrall
11-29-2010, 07:18 PM
I was looking to do the same thing on my 07. I lost a pump due to water intrusion the first day I was on vacation last year.

I think I'm going to see about getting a pair of the brackets they use on the 08's , some tubing and moving mine by the engine like the 08's and above. That way I'll hopefully never have to take the back panels off again. I just need to take a look to see how thick the transom is and see if I'll need to glass plates in to mount them to.

Taking those panels off is kind of a pain, but the transom area behind the engine is pretty tight already, think 2 more pumps to work around while trying to get the impeller out. ALthough there's room on the non removable part of the engine divider panels right towards the back. I mounted the shower pump on one side there with plenty of room and it's about the same size as a ballast pump although you may have to come off the back side of the pump with a 90 bend right away.
Dunno how long ballast impellers last, but I replaced mine with new green ones before re-mounting the pumps in hopes that I don't have to do anything to them for a few years.
With a few contortions the rear pumps will remount in essentially the same location, re-using the existing hoses. Only concession I had to make was mounting the rear pumps with only 2 screws each. After flipping the pumps and hooking the hoses back up I mounted the bottom holes in the pump to the top holes in the transom plate.

Thrall
11-29-2010, 07:23 PM
So anyone ever take out that panel with the guages on it? I still have to get in there because 1 pump only works on "fill" and not "empty" after messing with it. Pretty sure a wire got pulled off the switch or coincidently the switch went tits up. Couldn't be a problem with the relays or wiring to the pumps if it works in one direction, could it?
(note, all pumps worked both directions before trying to remove the panel)

venetrex
11-29-2010, 07:31 PM
On my 2007 X2 I pulled it because I was having a problem with the rearward facing tower lights, switch is at the top of that panel. Then after installing 20 min timers on my ballast pumps I realized that one of my connections was reversed. There is little to no slack on those wires going to the switches. The good news is the spade connectors just slide on. You cant flip it upside down or turn it. I was able to get it up maybe an inch or 2 above the housing. You can see with it slightly removed where the wires go. I pulled on my harness to get more slack. They used a lot of cable ties at the factory. Hopefully that helps a little.

Thrall
11-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah, that helps alot venetrex. I'll pull the side panel away and see if I can cut some wire ties.

Eagle Lake Rebel
12-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Not sure on the X2, but isn't there a speaker fairly close to the switches? If so remove it and you may be able to take care of your problem via the speaker hole. The panel is big enough that I think you can remove all the bottom screws and back way off on the top ones and open up the bottom to get to your wires. If you do have to jack around with the switch/gauge panel, be sure and protect the black plastic, it can get marked up from sharp edges on the backside of the plate (switches & plugs).

bturner2
12-02-2010, 08:27 AM
I added a PAC volume control to where the tower light switch was supposed to be on the panel. I ended up having to pull the whole side panel off so that I could to cut some of the zip ties away to lift the switch panel enough to install the PAC. I was able to get at the panel with the seat turned. That panel really isn't that bad to take off. Only took about 45 minutes to do the whole job.

Thrall
12-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Yeah I had it off once to run a heater duct through there, but good idea about removing the spkr. It's right under the guages.